Menu

How much do instruments cost?

mommyoffive

What types are you interested in? Some instruments are $50 and some are $10,000.

No clue really.

I am just trying to price things out and see if they are affordable.  

The local school offers orchestra starting in 4th grade and band in 5th.  HS students can come in for that.  

Is there a way to know what they should play?  Or is anything game?   I remember being tested for instruments when I was in school.

It totally depends on what instrument as I am finding out. We have a piano that we bought about 15 years ago so that our oldest could start lessons. The investment has panned out as it has been continually played since.

Our youngest took up clarinet in 5th grade, we rented. Then she switched to bass clarinet last year in 6th grade, she used two school instruments, one for school and one for home use.

She is considering trying out the bassoon this summer but we have found a road block. There are very few rental instruments and purchasing one is on the same level as a piano. Who would have thought? I didn't know!

Both girls have a ukulele for fun that they got for Christmas, that instrument was inexpensive.

Edited by Mabelen

If you are just starting out and don't really know if their interest will last, I would recommend buying a second hand instrument.  My daughter got a clarinet at Goodwill for about $25.00.  We brought it into a music shop where they were able to make a few minor repairs, and it was completely fine for a beginner clarinetist.

For my daughter who wanted to play the violin, we started out by just renting one.  

For my daughter who wanted to play the guitar, we got a cheap one from the JCPenny catalog.  We found out later that it was actually warped and the strings could never be in perfect pitch, but even then, it was a fine beginning instrument.  Once we knew for sure that she had interest in it, we bought her a second-hand guitar that was nicer.  Years later, she bought her own new high-end guitar.  She never felt that she needed anything better than that, earlier.

My children are learning piano because my husband plays it and therefore we do not have to pay for a teacher. If we had the money they would also be learning Suzuki violin. Not only can I not afford the classes but you have to always have a violin that fits your child's size, meaning you need to continue to buy them as they grow.

My children are learning piano because my husband plays it and therefore we do not have to pay for a teacher. If we had the money they would also be learning Suzuki violin. Not only can I not afford the classes but you have to always have a violin that fits your child's size, meaning you need to continue to buy them as they grow.

Are the violins expensive?  I just found this kind of class in our town.

Contact the band director for guidance on what they need (ie we have 12 trumpets and 1 flute) and what instruments they do/don't use (ie. a lot of directors prefer a student to start on a clarinet rather than a saxophone. Most don't start young children on French Horn or Tuba, etc.

Most people start out renting an instrument, most music shops have a 'rent-to-own' system.

• Like 2

It depends on the instrument and also the upkeep.

For example my used upright piano cost $1.5k a decade ago but the store had from $800 to >$10k for used pianos. Tuning is about $200 per visit here.

My DS10's starter student flute is just over $500 when we bought last year and he can use it for many years before getting an intermediate student flute for about $1.6k. He would need upkeep soon on the pads.

The starter student saxophone I am looking at cost about $2.6k.

We rent DS11's cello at $70 per month for a cello with a list price of $2.6k. When we buy, we would be looking at about $10k for a new one unless we find a good deal for a used one.

My hubby bought his clarinet used from an orchestra friend. It is a few thousand new currently when we check out prices. Hubby does need to spend a few hundred on upkeep.

I was in my public elementary school ensemble and band. The teachers let us pick any instrument and also allow us to change instruments every term.

My local public school has band from 3rd but instruments are donated. So parents do need to rent their own instruments for their kids as the donated instruments are loan out for free to those on the free lunch program first.

Brass, woodwinds and percussion fits any kid other than whoever plays the tuba shouldn't be petite. Strings need to be sized to the child.

ETA:

For used strings instruments, asking a teacher to keep a look out for their students upgrading and selling their old one would usually net better instruments than craigslist or a music store. Also the strings quality matter if you have a sensory kid.

Clarinet reeds are costly too. Saxophone is easier than clarinet as a starter reed instrument.

Brass instruments are actually the cheapest to upkeep. I played the horn from 4th grade. French horn for a 9 year old is a non issue.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

My oldest's viola was $450 and according to her teacher, it is a good instrument for a student who isn't aiming for conservatory. She picked up the instrument when she was 11 and already a lot of the way through puberty so we bought her a full-size viola. She was in between the 7/8 and the full-size and we went with the one that was a little big at the time but works now that she's at or very near her full adult height.

• Like 1

Is renting an instrument an option? We own a piano and a guitar. But my kids have also taken lessons for flute, french horn, trumpet, and drums.  In all of those cases we rented the instrument. The cost of the rental in each case wasn't very much, about 20-25$ a month.  We much preferred renting, with free repairs etc to buying the instrument. In many cases the kids only played each instrument for two school years so I am happy we don't have them around the house.

The nice thing about renting, for at least the first year, is that the instrument will probably be a quality one. Very often people buy an instrument when their kids start and they know nothing about what makes a good instrument. They pick up a crap one and it plays crap. Better to learn on a good instrument and get some skills before wading into those waters. Plus, the child might lose interest or change instruments after a few months.

The piano we got for free.  You might be amazed at how easy it can be to pick up a perfectly good free piano. We put the word out we were looking and one became available for the price of moving it. We did have to hire a truck ...you can't just stick a piano in the back of a car...but that was negligible compared to the cost a new piano.  And over 10 years later it is in perfectly fine condition.

My son also takes guitar lessons, but I had an old guitar of mine hanging around.  He's a lefty, but we just restrung it.  He thinks it looks cool, lol

• Like 3

Don't pick the bassoon if costs are a concern. Rentals begin at over $90.00 per month if you can find one (we are on a waiting list). Reeds break often apparently and each costs over $10.00 minimum. Prices for an instrument vary wildly, from the very low end of around $1,000 to the sky is the limit it looks like!

• Like 1

Ask a teacher for a recommendation before buying a cheap instrument. There are a lot of really crummy instruments on the market--keys bend or break, then can't be repaired. On the other hand, there are a lot of solid beginner instruments on the shopgoodwill site that are extremely cheap and could be great for beginners. Brand matters with student-level instruments.

Flute, clarinet, trumpet, and trombone are probably the least expensive band instruments for getting started. Saxes are a bit more, double reed instruments are expensive, plus the cost of reeds, and beginners go through a bunch. 

Edited by mellifera33
  • Like 3

DS's piano (that I play as well) was right around 9K, so I'm paying 125 a month.  My parents just bought us a beautifully well-kept 5'10" baby grand for 11K.  DS's 1/2 size violin was $275 but then I went and put $50 strings on it (which actually made a difference!); we're hoping to stay under $500 for 3/4 size.  Thankfully DS doesn't grow very fast.  We're renting his lever harp for $80/month.  Two months into lessons and he's already into his second instruction book so once he needs a pedal harp, we're looking at 15-25K since we can't rent those around here.

I think renting is a wonderful option for those just starting out and testing the waters.  So worth it not to have to worry about repairs and being financially committed to an instrument that may or may not be a good fit.  Definitely check-in with a teacher for brand recommendations.  It really does make a huge difference to have a good quality instrument.  

We just spent 1k on a clarinet upgrade for my 13 year old.  We rented for a few months when she was just stating out four years ago and then bought a 1940s era wooden clarinet  for $150 from a local shop with the guidance of her private teacher.  It has a lovely tone but has required hundreds of dollars a year in maintenance/repairs.  DD is a talented musician and, if she continues at her current progress and interest level, we will need to upgrade again to a professional model in 2-3 years and that will be in the 3k-4k++ range.   For most kids, the 1k clarinet should easily get them through high school and beyond.  

You can spend as much or as little as you want for an instrument, but IMO and IME, cheap instruments sound cheap, especially so for string instruments.  I would look into renting a decent quality instrument.  Almost every music store has rentals.  It's also a good way to let your children try out different instruments.  Then, when they decide where their passion lies, you can invest in owning a better quality instrument for them.

• Like 3

Some local music stores may offer classes or camps where kids can try different instruments.  DD and her best friend did a few classes with a local music teacher who offers exploratory instrument sessions and they had the opportunity to try most instruments.  It was truly a Harry Potter getting his wand moment when DD tried the clarinet and she just knew it was what she wanted to play.    

(In DD's school system, all students are required to be in choir or play in band or orchestra throughout 5th and 6th grades.  At the beginning of 5th grade, they spend a few weeks rotating through the different options and trying all the instruments.  At the end of the rotations, the music teachers give each individual student a list of recommended instruments based on personal aptitude and the band/orchestra's needs.)  

I spent about $400 on my cello, used. That was without a bow and I spent another $100 on that. It really depends on the instrument. My cello has a good sound--it was a quality music student instrument option when purchased new and was well cared for so its fine for my purposes as an adult hobbyist, lol.

Testing for an instrument is often done for public school band. My guess is that it is a way to even out the number of kids on each type of instrument.

If you are just doing individual lessons, you will probably need to talk with the instructor.

Bassoons are expensive, but there are benefits to playing a less popular instrument. My DD started playing bassoon in 6th grade. She received 2 different small scholarships due to the bassoon. She is now in her third year of college and still playing bassoon. She has never owned her own bassoon. She has always used a school bassoon even in college.

Guitars are relatively cheap. $200 for a starter instrument; 3k for one to take to conservatory; 25k for a world class performance guitar.

Pedal harps are expensive. Period. About $15k to get started. $25k for a life-time keeper can take to the orchestra . . . Maintenance costs (new strings) are at least $500/yr on average. 

Violins are from $500 for a starter to $5k for a decent one to 10k++++ for a professional level one.

Piano was pretty cheap (under $1k for a handmedown ancient but serviceable one) until we got the grand piano last fall, and that was $$$. A nice relatively new, but "used" and thus half the cost of new, one for us was about 16k, but you can easily spend much more if you don't luck into a private sale of one that is just right for you. I'd budgeted 20-25k for the grand until we lucked into the one we bought. Of course, you can easily spend much more . . .

It really depends on what instrument and what level you are considering . . .

If you name some instruments you're considering, we can help you figure out reasonable expectations. In general, IME, harp is super pricey, guitars very cheap, and other strings in between.

It depends! My mom has an amazing flute that was $200 back in the 60's when she bought it. She decided to 'upgrade' to a nicer and newer flute that she discovered cost three times as much and wasn't nearly as well made. The factory had apparently been moved and quality went downhill.

I think my husband's trombone would be about $700 new.

I got my girls a killer recorder for $40.

Etc etc.

Rent for awhile until they figure out which instrument they like and then you can invest. Look to pay anywhere from $300-2000 for a high quality student instrument. They are so much nicer to play than the economy models, and in general the more enjoyable the instrument is to operate the less frustration the student will have.

ETA - the trombone would be about $1200 new. Just looked it up.

Edited by Arctic Mama

Because we could not afford to purchase (violas, cellos, and violins) at first, we rented from a good strings shop. We have since been given (gifted by relatives who have passed and others  who have simply outgrown) instruments, purchased used from friends/teacher, and purchased from a luthier.  Currently, dd14 borrows an instrument from her music school's collection. 

Don't avoid starting lessons because of the potential future cost of the instrument. There are so many possible solutions... cross that bridge when you come to it.  Start by finding a teacher and getting the teacher's input on what you need right now. Don't worry about the rest. (Your child might give it up in the future, someone might gift you one, you might be able to get a good rental price, your child may save money for years to buy a good instrument, or your child may end up being able to borrow a priceless, historically-important antique... You really can't know any of this now.)

• Like 1

depends on the size/ the quality, the specific instrument . . .

for example - I recently contributed to my dd's viola.  an inexpensive advanved student advanced student viola is easily from $1,000 - $6,000.  (accessories may or may not be incl.)

you can get a beginning student one for a few hundred dollars.

and I could pick up an entry student drum set for $150.

really depends what you want.

I would definitely suggest renting at first until they student decides they like the instrument and don't want to change, which is common that first year. When I started out, I ended up switching adn since we were renting, we just exchanged it for another instrument. I branched out in high school and college, picking up the things no one was playing, like English horn, xylophone and piccolo in high school, and in college the bassoon. In those cases I used the school's instruments. 

• Like 1

So did you guys just let your kids pick what they wanted to do?  Is testing for an instrument not done these days?

When I was in school, they played reels with various instruments and we chose which instruments we were interested in.

I chose percussion. My parents said No. So I chose clarinet (for the wide range of sounds it can make) and loved it ever since.  My sister chose flute when it was her turn.

Edited by vonfirmath

We are currently renting a cello and viola from a local shop where the semi-professionals go. It's a great deal because they treat it like a rent-to-own, so you can use your past payments credit when you need to trade up to a bigger size or nicer instrument.

I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but the cello is about $40 a month, and the viola is about $25. My son upgraded to a nicer cello earlier this year, and it would be about $3,500 if we had bought it outright.

So did you guys just let your kids pick what they wanted to do?  Is testing for an instrument not done these days?

My kids chose.

Took oldest to an instrument petting zoo hosted by a local community symphony after a dress rehearsal (and pizza served to the kids -- it was a great introduction to classical music). Ds kept getting back on line for the cello and ended up asking for lessons.

Dd tagged along to his music school and was enamored with the lines and lines of kids walking through the halls with violins. She wanted one so badly! Her first teacher (violinist/violist) asked her right away if she'd like to play the viola instead because it looked just like a violin but had the same strings as her brother's cello. Dd was sold! Started on the viola and has loved it ever since. 

Second ds wanted to play the cello because he wanted to do everything just like big bro.

Second dd was in love with the violin ever since she was a baby. No desire for the viola right now because, as she puts it, "I love the E string." But she says that she'll probably add the viola when she gets bigger and will play both instruments.

Both girls also play around on the piano, flute, and ukelele when the mood strikes, but they don't practice these instruments every day and haven't had lessons.

In our experience, if kids have their own motivation for a particular instrument, GO FOR IT, because internal motivation (and joy) is priceless when expecting years of practice.

We were able to get a violin off of Craigslist for $100.  Not top of the line mind you, but excellent condition and perfect for a beginner.

Our local music store has a rent to purchase program that is pretty affordable.  You can even change instrument sizes during the process. The daughter of a friend of ours started with 1/4 violin and was able to move to the next level whilst working toward the rent to purchase program.

I would definitely suggest renting at first until they student decides they like the instrument and don't want to change, which is common that first year. When I started out, I ended up switching adn since we were renting, we just exchanged it for another instrument. I branched out in high school and college, picking up the things no one was playing, like English horn, xylophone and piccolo in high school, and in college the bassoon. In those cases I used the school's instruments. 

or if they are doing strings and still growing. 

strings come in 1/8- 4/4 size for an adult.  unless you have several kids who will be doing strings, it's usually not worth buying the smaller ones.  (might be as they approach 3/4 size because they'll get a few years before they need a 4/4.)

• Like 1