Menu

Can we talk about the Brexit vote??

Moxie

I've been following this in the UK papers but would love to hear something from people that live there and not just politicians. The lack of coverage in the US is ridiculous I think- this is HUGE!

Nobody knows.  

The background is this: David Cameron promised in his manifesto before the last election that if elected he would call a referendum on continued membership of the EU.  This was largely in order to paper over a rift within his own party on the subject.  The electorate was generally luke-warm on the issue.

He was elected and had to follow through.  He went off to Europe to negotiate some concessions that he stated were considerable.  Meanwhile, the whole refugee crisis had erupted and many British people felt that they didn't have control of who came and went within the country.  There has also been a lot of migration from eastern Europe to do jobs (like cutting vegetables and low-level caring tasks) that British people mostly don't want to do, as well as some skilled workers.  A lot of Brits feel that being in the EU is expensive, and that decisions are made too far from the people.  Some of these concerns are real and some are based on prejudice and resentment.

So by holding the referendum, Cameron has blown the issue up rather than damping it down.  I'm pretty sure that he heartily regrets it.  He is for staying in the EU, and if he loses the referendum, I think he will resign.

If we vote remain, very little will change except the fallout from the rancour of the last few months.  If we vote leave, no one really knows what will happen.  We apparently have two years to complete the process of leaving, during which time we can attempt to negotiate some form of trade deal with the EU and all the other countries with which we have deals through the EU.  I can't imagine that the EU is going to be in a mood to give us a good deal.  It's going to be a complete mess that will swallow government for at least five years, I believe.  Meanwhile, all kinds of benefits (free movement of people, etc.) will disappear.  I'm not in favour of leaving.

• Like 21

Laura, I've heard that there are rumblings in Scotland to hold another independence referendum and join the EU if leave wins. Is this true? What's going on in Wales?

That could happen.  Scotland is more pro-EU than England is, partly because of the Auld Alliance, partly because it's seen as a balance to England's power, partly because Scotland is more left wing.  Wales' assembly doesn't have as many powers as Scotland's parliament.  I've no idea if it could push for a separation referendum but I haven't heard of moves in that direction.  It also doesn't have oil, which was the basis for Scotland's feeling that it could go it alone.

In general, poorer areas are more pro-EU, because they are more likely to have received EU funding for projects, specifically because they are poorer.

• Like 6

It's gotten a lot of coverage in the sources I frequent. It would be a better move fiscally for Britain, IMO, but I thought the entire idea of the EU was ill contrived from the getgo. I got the financial and world lobbying goals, but the actual realistic follow through seemed problematic from the start given the unique identities and problems of each member country. It was like taking the issues of the original North American colonies and putting them on steroids plus a thousand years of history.

We shall see how they vote. There are consequences, positive and negative, whichever way they go.

All I know is I watched a spectacularly hilarious off color John Oliver youtube on this that maybe some of you might want to run over there and view.

It was fabulous. I read today that Sky tv in the UK is delaying that episode until after the vote though. 

My understanding is that there will be a vote count available around breakfast time EST here. The UK very wisely doesn't have the media stupid we have here where they try to predict off exit polling numbers. 

So anyway, I've thought about it a lot today, and wondered what Scotland would do in terms of an independence referendum if Britain pulled out because it seems like they have a pretty stout incentive to stay in the UK. As for a lot of the issues cited, I'm not certain that pulling out would help. If the UK wants to remain on good trade standing with the EU, it seems to me that they would still end up having to abide by a lot of EU rules which would include immigration and employment policies. But I'm not well informed on EU policy. I suppose it is entirely possible that the EU would want to continue trade with Britain badly enough to let them do what they want to do, no EU interference.

If they do vote for an exit, this could give France the impetus to move forward. An awful lot of French citizens want out of the EU, feel that it has been bad for their economy, very costly and damaging. What that will do to the EU, I don't know. Germany is the largest economy, but France is second so if both France and the UK were lost, I would think that this could be a major blow with wide ranging economic consequences.

Again though, I feel fairly certain I am rather ignorant on the particulars.

My understanding is that there will be a vote count available around breakfast time EST here. The UK very wisely doesn't have the media stupid we have here where they try to predict off exit polling numbers. 

I believe I read that it's actually against the law to do exit polling or broadcast anything other than dull facts on election days (Laura? Other UK hive members?). While I understand how and why that would be unconstitutional here, I do wish we had something here to prevent the media stupid. I can only imagine how it feels to live in a Pacific coast state and hear the equivalent of "Hey, don't bother voting, here's the outcome no matter how you all vote". Obviously the media will never police itself because of ratings. 

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

Yes, the reporting is deliberately dull on election days.   I actually quite like it, because you get news stories that you haven't heard about in the previous election season.

Scotland is likely to be pro-remain, so if the UK as a whole goes for leaving, it's more likely that independence for Scotland will get impetus.

• Like 3

we are really interested. To us, is seems a bit like what we did here in America, declaring our independence.  Here is a really good documentary from the leave view

this is a short trailer  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxiwQDV3eY0&feature=share

the documentary is really long, maybe 40 min to 1 hr?  we watched the longer version with our kids.

I think it does a really good job of explaining why people in Britain want to leave.

lately there was this, too about the Queen voicing an opinion

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/22/her-majesty-the-eurosceptic-queen-eu-courts-denigrate-britain-by-protecting-terrorists/

• Like 1

All I know is I watched a spectacularly hilarious off color John Oliver youtube on this that maybe some of you might want to run over there and view.

That was both informative and hilarious!

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

As a somewhat disinterested American, the fascinating thing about the vote to me, is that the issue doesn't break down along tradition party lines. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this).  Without getting too much into politics, I think we are seeing similar things in the US, where both parties are having a hard time holding their various factions together.

Wow the futures markets are panicking left and right. I don't understand how the markets were so in denial this could happen to flip out to this extent.

Currencies around the whole world are fluctuating rapidly today. I am sure it all will become more stabilized once the final results are in.

Sure, but if they really exit, experts are saying 200 billion dollars will just go poof from the world economy. Things will stabilize... but down, they'll stabilize down. Thanks, David Cameron (said in the groaning "Thanks, Obama" tones).

• Like 4

Yes, brexit means that scottland might vote to leave the UK and join the EU.  And Ireland has made noise about voting for reunification if the UK leaves the EU.  So, by the time this is all done, there won't really be a UK any longer.  Is just England and Wales really still the UK?

I am worried the UK is about to self destruct in front of our eyes

• Like 2

This is fascinating to me to watch. I have relatives in Scotland who were very much against the Scotland Independence vote recently. I'm wondering if they will change their minds if the independence vote comes up again, now that the Brexit is passed (or appears to have passed).

Eta: I'm impressed with the voter turnout. They say it's 72%! Has the US *ever* had a voter turnout that high? (tongue-in-cheek... sorta)

Edited by Kinsa

This is fascinating to me to watch. I have relatives in Scotland who were very much again the Scotland Independence vote recently. I'm wondering if they will change their minds if the independence vote comes up again now that the Brexit is passed (or appears to have passed).

Eta: I'm impressed with the voter turnout. They say it's 72%! Has the US *ever* had a voter turnout that high? (tongue-in-cheek... sorta)

I totally agree with you on the turnout numbers. AMAZING.

• Like 3

This is fascinating to me to watch. I have relatives in Scotland who were very much against the Scotland Independence vote recently. I'm wondering if they will change their minds if the independence vote comes up again, now that the Brexit is passed (or appears to have passed).

https://twitter.com/GrayInGlasgow/status/746186969533669376

It's like watching a train wreck. I knew they might do it... but... oh my.

Also, poor Lindsay Lohan, right? She must be soooo disappointed. (Only funny story of the night, right?)

I missed it. What's the Linsey Lohan story?

Looks like it's going to be a miserable day for the markets. I heard that trading on the Nikkei was suspended.

(FWIW, I think it's typical market hysteria and this is by no means the end of the world. But it should be a wild ride in the short term.)

Interesting. I'm on several boards and I don't think I've seen one single online person support leaving.

I've observed that too... but I wonder if maybe this is an outsider thing. Like, I don't know that many Brits. I suspect the ones I know - even online - are more world connected? Maybe? Also, it's easier for me, as an American to be like, obviously this was a bad idea. I do see that there are reasons that some Brits are concerned about the movement toward life under EU laws instead of British made ones.

• Like 2

I don't like this. But I agree with you.

Or alternatively, buy into an index fund now, when the market is in a reflexive, computer-controlled crash.  It will likely be the cheapest day to buy in for the next five years.

• Like 6