Menu

If you make/have made a Dutch baby before...?

SparklyUnicorn

Oh that's interesting. How do you do it?

The directions I've encountered say to heat the pan super hot in the oven and pour it into the hot pan.

Yep. This way the bottom gets crunchy and done while the rest of it rises quickly. Yum....

Maple syrup and nutmeg....mmmmm....

I use a regular ceramic ramekin. I toss some butter in it and place it in the oven while it pre-heats. By the time the oven is pre-heated, I've mixed up the Dutch baby batter and just pour it in and pop it back in the oven.  Never heard that it should be made in a cast iron skillet but can see that it would help create a crisp crust.

I just make an individual Dutch baby for my youngest DD now.  I no longer eat grains or sugar so it is OUT for me.  Older DD just doesn't care for them that much.

Edited by Pegasus

You preheat the Pyrex until the butter is melted. It doesn't give the same crust as cast iron. My kids like it less crusty.

Sparkly, why don't you have cast iron? You need one! :)

I know sacrilege, but I hate cast iron.  I have an enameled cast iron Dutch oven that I like. 

I'm afraid of Pyrex though.  I had one shatter into a zillion pieces in my oven.  It literally exploded.

• Like 1

the 'vegans ruin everything' version has tofu instead of butter & eggs and is made in any pan you have :p 

Pyrex can explode & I've had one blow up once when roasting whole beets so I pre-heat but don't just shove it in there and forget about it... 

oh & Pyrex is apparently not supposed to be used in toaster ovens.... 

the 'vegans ruin everything' version has tofu instead of butter & eggs and is made in any pan you have :p 

Pyrex can explode & I've had one blow up once when roasting whole beets so I pre-heat but don't just shove it in there and forget about it... 

I had one explode in my oven and another in my microwave. 

I'm done with Pyrex.  I won't use it.

I guess I'll have to go out and buy some sort of pan that will work. 

I know sacrilege, but I hate cast iron. I have an enameled cast iron Dutch oven that I like.

I'm afraid of Pyrex though. I had one shatter into a zillion pieces in my oven. It literally exploded.

You could use the Dutch oven or any metal baking dish.

• Like 1

As long as the handle is safe for the oven then you should be fine. I use my le cruset cast iron, but I could use an all stainless pan. You could also use  pie plate or even a cake pan, as some have mentioned. Just get it hot and then put butter in it and swirl it all around.  A dutch baby is pretty much just butter and eggs held together with a minimum of flour.

And I love Alton Brown's recipe for it. I mix up the batter in my blender and just pour it in the hot pan.

That is our usual Friday night dinner around here. I make quick apple compote for the top....

As long as the handle is safe for the oven then you should be fine. I use my le cruset cast iron, but I could use an all stainless pan. You could also use  pie plate or even a cake pan, as some have mentioned. Just get it hot and then put butter in it and swirl it all around.  A dutch baby is pretty much just butter and eggs held together with a minimum of flour.

And I love Alton Brown's recipe for it. I mix up the batter in my blender and just pour it in the hot pan.

That is our usual Friday night dinner around here. I make quick apple compote for the top....

I like the cake pan idea!

Oh gee that is another thing I don't have.  I don't have a blender.  What about a food processor?  Or stand mixer?  Or hand mixer?  Or even an immersion blender?

I'll figure it out.

I use a glass pyrex pie plate regularly.

I throw the butter in the pie plate while the oven is warming, then pull it out just as it is starting to sizzle. swish it around.  then I dump the batter into the pie plate.

I did order a cast iron pan to compare (I regularly make two 9" at a time.). the butter soaks into the cast iron, so there is more buttery goodness in the glass. ;p  it's also higher.

eta: I have always used a blender.  I had my mom's ancient osterizer. . . then we got a blendtec. WOW.  huge difference in how it turns out. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Nonstick fry pan if I am just cooking for two. Large Corningware casserole if I am cooking for family.

This week I cooked some apples with cinnamon and sugar in the butter before I added the batter.

Will definitely be making that again !

• Like 1

Oh gee that is another thing I don't have. I don't have a blender. What about a food processor? Or stand mixer? Or hand mixer? Or even an immersion blender?

I'll figure it out.

I don't use a mixer or blender to mix it up. Just mix, lumps are okay per Martha Stewart.

• Like 1

I disagree on heating the butter along with the pan as IMO the butter would get too browned (or even burn).

The pan/dish should be VERY HOT if you want the Dutch Baby to rise and be light (which is what you want).

At the high temp the pans should be at (ungreased) the butter added just before the batter will melt almost instantly and grease the pan.

Bill

Please share specifics? DS is allergic to dairy and eggs, but misses Dutch babies. :)

Oh gee that is another thing I don't have. I don't have a blender. What about a food processor? Or stand mixer? Or hand mixer? Or even an immersion blender?

I'll figure it out.

Just mix with a fork or a hand mixer. Lumps are fine and better than overmixing.

They really are simple to make, nothing special is needed. You can bake them in your regular frying pan. Enjoy! Mmmmm

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

I have no idea what a Dutch baby is, I'll go check it out on Google.

All I could think was "yes, I'm Dutch and I've made four babies. But the process is the same for other people"

Me,too, other than not being Dutch. Then people stRted talking about heating pans ... If I ever make this, it is being renamed. We are so happy with what we call pancakes (recipe from a Swedish friend of my mother,s) that I don,t think I,ll need to, though. : ) I use an iron frying pan for those.

Nan

Y'all are hilarious. I have never heard of these, so my first thought was along the lines of the baby idea, too. Glad I opened the thread and that someone posted a link.

I grew up with this, but we called the Fat Pancakes. We use a hand mixer and always use pie pans, preheating in the oven with butter. It was and still is in the Friday evening meal rotation in our house. We serve them like French toast (cinnamon sugar for DH, powdered sugar and syrup for everyone else).

So, no issue not using cast iron here. (I make lots of them at the same time. We don't have enough cast iron!!!!)

• Like 1

Y'all are hilarious. I have never heard of these, so my first thought was along the lines of the baby idea, too. Glad I opened the thread and that someone posted a link.

I grew up with this, but we called the Fat Pancakes. We use a hand mixer and always use pie pans, preheating in the oven with butter. It was and still is in the Friday evening meal rotation in our house. We serve them like French toast (cinnamon sugar for DH, powdered sugar and syrup for everyone else).

So, no issue not using cast iron here. (I make lots of them at the same time. We don't have enough cast iron!!!!)

I've seen it called other things too.  German pancake, puffy pancake, etc...

well - I' know what I'm making for breakfast this morning.

we  serve with berries or jam.  dudeling insists on powdered sugar. 

I've learned to time when I put the plates in the oven (and  the butter), so the pie plates are hot and the butter is hot but not burned.

eta: this one is closer to what I use.

Edited by gardenmom5

Oh gee that is another thing I don't have.  I don't have a blender.  What about a food processor?  Or stand mixer?  Or hand mixer?  Or even an immersion blender?

I'll figure it out.

A whisk works just fine.  I would never make these if it required special equipment!!  Breakfast needs to be easy!  

I disagree on heating the butter along with the pan as IMO the butter would get too browned (or even burn).

The pan/dish should be VERY HOT if you want the Dutch Baby to rise and be light (which is what you want).

At the high temp the pans should be at (ungreased) the butter added just before the batter will melt almost instantly and grease the pan.

Bill

I don't heat the butter along with the pan.  I just toss it in when I (carefully) take the hot pan out of the oven. Then I swirl it around and dump in the batter.  It would, of course, burn if you put the butter in when the pan was cold.

And I only use a blender because I am that lazy, lol.  I just toss the stuff in and blend it.  No bowl, no fork to dirty. My vitamix just needs a rinse with hot soapy water and it's clean.  But it is not needed.

I've got a little assembly line down. My kids and dh can each eat a whole one, so I have to go quickly when making them for dinner. I just have everything out and pans heating and then blend, pour, put it in the oven BAM!

• Like 2

All I could think was "yes, I'm Dutch and I've made four babies. But the process is the same for other people"

I thought the same thing, only I made my babies with a Slovene.   :laugh:   Never heard them called Slovene babies ... they're just good old Heinz 57s.  Too many heritages to count!

• Like 1

Haha! I had no idea either but figured it was a recipe of some sort. Then I looked it up and now I know I'm not missing anything (for me). I'm not crazy about pancakes or crepes or popovers.