Menu

"She's a caution," said anywhere outside of Arkansas, still common in Arkansas?

ElizabethB

So, the stood to his feet thing got me thinking--I have not heard the phrase "she's a caution" used anywhere but Arkansas, and there it was mainly older people who used it to describle interesting friends or relatives. I did not hear it in Texas or Alabama, but we had less civilian friends there. Also, we have not been to Arkansas in over a decade now, is it still common there, and if so, do young people use it too?

And yes, I have heard stood to his feet many times, I thought it was common usage.

What does it even mean? I've never heard it in my life. Difficult or tempting/dangerous woman? Gorgeous? I'm not even sure I get the colloquialism in terms of concept.

Well, if you have an eccentric older aunt or uncle who does crazy things but people still like them, you would say, in a fond tone while discussing her latest escapade, "That Aunt Lilly, she's a caution!" The people who say this are likely to be rural, older, use the word ain't, and/or have a heavy Arkansas accent.

If it was a mean relative or friend, you would not use the term, and I never heard it used to describe anyone young.

The phrase is also likely to be used rhetorically as in, "Great Aunt Emma Jean shore is a caution, ain't she?" I am not sure I ever heard it used to describe a man, but assume it is gender neutral.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 4

I don't know what it means either.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?  Does it mean that you use caution before getting to know her because she's trouble?

ETA:  Posting at the same time as the above post.  But I'm still not sure what it means.  Why the word caution?  Caution means to proceed with care.  Have to do some google research on it.

Edited by Garga

Hang on.  From this website:  http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/217215/meaning-of-the-phrase-youre-a-caution

J. E. Lighter, Random House Historical Dictionary of American English (1994), has this entry forcaution:

caution

n.
 a thing or (now 
esp.
) a person that causes astonishment, annoyance, or amusement—also constr. with ref. to assorted animals. Now 
colloq

• Like 6

Well, if you have an eccentric older aunt or uncle who does crazy things but people still like them, you would say, in a fond tone while discussing her latest escapade, "That Aunt Lilly, she's a caution!" The people who say this are likely to be rural, older, use the word ain't, and/or have a heavy Arkansas accent.

If it was a mean relative or friend, you would not use the term, and I never heard it used to describe anyone young.

The phrase is also likely to be used rhetorically as in, "Great Aunt Emma Jean shore is a caution, ain't she?" I am not sure I ever heard it used to describe a man, but assume it is gender neutral.

So it expresses fondness for eccentricities? I'd have never guessed, truthfully.

Never heard it but I like it.

I always thought it was a great phrase, but I never had cause to use it when we were in Arkansas and knew that no one would know what I was talking about outside of the state, even if I had someone to use it for. Actaully, my 8th grade Algebra teacher comes to mind, she rode a motorcycle, wore crazy skirts, said whatever she felt like. She was a good math teacher and respected as a teacher, but people did talk about her latest escapade, and if it had been a place where the phrase was used, I am sure people would have used it about her.

• Like 2

My dh's grandmother said that about my oldest dd when she was little. She was born in Missouri. I've heard it other times, usually from older people. I'm on the opposite side of the country from Arkansas.

I guess when you are young AND old you do crazy things to merit the term!

Maybe it is more of an older phrase than a Southern phrase. When I searched more recent works for the term, I found Gilbert Morris, who was born in Arkansas and now lives in Alabama. He was born in 1929, though.

• Like 1

My parents substituted the very " modern" she's a card.😛

I've never heard "She's a caution," but it's cute and I like it.  I wonder if we can start using it in the Hive?  :lol:

I have heard "She's a card," not frequently, but enough to recognize it.

• Like 1

I've lived in small town AR just outside Little Rock as well as big town west TX and have never heard this expression. I have heard "he's a card" from my in-laws who are from the northeast US. I've heard "hot mess" but I think I actually heard that here on the forum before anywhere else.

So, the stood to his feet thing got me thinking--I have not heard the phrase "she's a caution" used anywhere but Arkansas, and there it was mainly older people who used it to describle interesting friends or relatives. I did not hear it in Texas or Alabama, but we had less civilian friends there. Also, we have not been to Arkansas in over a decade now, is it still common there, and if so, do young people use it too?

And yes, I have heard stood to his feet many times, I thought it was common usage.

Nope, never heard it. Grew up in Virginia, spent lots of time on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, 30 years in California, 12 years in Texas.

I have also *read* "stood to his feet," but I haven't heard it very often. It's usually used for emphasis, kwim? Something *big* is coming, an announcement of some kind.

• Like 1

I have to tell you that ds has a Great Aunt Erma Jean and she shore is a caution! I'm not from AR, but I can't believe you practically used her name and it is a perfect fit!!

Edited to fix messed up abbreviation - sorry.

Edited by Momto2Ns
  • Like 1

I have to tell you that ds has a Great Aunt Erma Jean and she shore is a caution! I'm not from AK, but I can't believe you practically used her name and it is a perfect fit!!

AK is Alaska. AR is Arkansas. Mistaking the two is a pet peeve of many an Arkansan. Wouldn't want to horribly offend anyone. 😉

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 1