Menu

I fear I am totally messing up my daughter....please help me

DD 15, 9th grade.  If you have been following my multiple threads about the woes with my daughter and you are tired of me, I apologize.   If you continue to read, I am truly grateful.

She started out behind in Math due to many factors...and so we started this year with Algebra 1.  But, she struggled and struggled.  We are on our 3rd program (and it is working, so I am glad for that), but she is wanting to finish the program by the end of the school year (and she figured out if she does 2 lessons daily, she will be done by the end of May).  But that takes up a lot of her time. 

She is also using Apologia Biology and is struggling with that.  She is not understanding much and I fear it is a waste of her time because I am pretty certain she is not going to retain much.

Next year I have slotted in her science a program called "Friendly Chemistry"  which from everything I have read, and from what the author has told me, she should have much better success with.  The author is working on a "Friendly Biology" and hopes to have it completed by fall of 2017.   So I am trying to decide if we should just drop Biology this year, so my daughter can concentrate on Algebra...and not be so stressed over the Biology too.  Then we would pick it up again when she is a Junior using FB. 

First of all, is this a good idea?  Is this what you would do?   Although I think she will be college bound because she wants to be a preschool teacher, she is not headed into a Science/Math field of study. 

If this is a good idea, what do I put on her transcript for Freshman Science since she didn't finish it.  Biology Part 1.  But then would it look weird to have Bio part 2, 2 years later?  

If it's a bad idea, please help me help her finish this year with some success.  

thank you for the time and effort you may give me in a response.  I am very grateful.

If it helps any, 15 was the worst possible year for me.  It got better from there.

My kid, also not mathy, did manage to pull it off eventually, got the requisite AP scores and is now in a great University.  She never wants to do math again, but that's ok.  She excels in other areas.  She just had to get through.

Your daughter will too.  Maybe you need to farm math out to someone who is different from you?  Maybe that person can make it make sense for her. 

• Like 1

So I am trying to decide if we should just drop Biology this year, so my daughter can concentrate on Algebra...and not be so stressed over the Biology too.  Then we would pick it up again when she is a Junior using FB. 

First of all, is this a good idea?  Is this what you would do?   Although I think she will be college bound because she wants to be a preschool teacher, she is not headed into a Science/Math field of study. 

If this is a good idea, what do I put on her transcript for Freshman Science since she didn't finish it.  Biology Part 1.  But then would it look weird to have Bio part 2, 2 years later?  

If it's a bad idea, please help me help her finish this year with some success.  

thank you for the time and effort you may give me in a response.  I am very grateful.

I would say no, it isn't a good idea. She is 3/4 of the way through Biology. Whether she retains it or not, she has done it and been exposed. I would not repeat the same level of high school Biology. In addition to already having the credit, there is no set of Biology knowledge that is needed for college. Unless she is planning to go into a life science related field, I would just let it go. College Biology for non-majors will start at the beginning. If she needs to take it, she will be ok.

As far as helping to finish this year with some success, I don't have a great answer. I haven't and wouldn't use Apologia Biology. We did use Apologia Chemistry, but the Biology just doesn't line up with what I wanted Biology to cover. That said, I don't really know what she might have or not have learned. What about using some audio or video lectures? If Apologia hasn't gotten anywhere, why not drop it and pick up something else completely? Maybe Khan Academy, A MOOC, or Great Courses? I don't have one to recommend, but maybe someone else does.

I think it is important to remember that science isn't like math. You don't have to master Biology to do Chemistry. You don't have to master Chemistry to do Physics. Do they support each other - yes! Can you be weak in one and still move on to the next - yes! Find a way to finish the year and call it Biology. Then go on to Chemistry. When you know her goals and maybe even her future college and its requirements, you can decide what you need to do with that last year of science: Physics, another Biology, DE...

• Like 10

Honestly I think she'd be better off working slowly through Algebra to make sure she gets it.

With Bio, could you have her keep at it and take open note tests or complete essays on the topics instead of tests?

But, how is she not understanding the biology? Is her reading comprehension low? I can see having trouble with studying/passing tests, but not with actually understanding biology. If she hasn't been evaluated, I would consider getting a full eval for her.

• Like 1

DD14 is also doing Apologia Biology this year. DH is primarily working with her, so I don't know how much she is retaining, but they are getting through it. She is on unit 10 now and is starting to like it better than the first half of the course.

I'll be honest about what I would probably do if in your position. I'd just push on and get through biology this year and list it on the transcript. Simplify the course a little if you need to. Allow her to take the tests open book. Or if she does them without the book, allow her to correct her tests after they are graded, using the book, and then regrade them. Schools often do this, sometimes giving 1/2 point back for each point that was missed but corrected.

I don't remember anything other than the basics of my high school science classes, and it hasn't harmed me. I think for many students the high school sciences give them a foundation of exposure, but they don't retain all of it. If she is not headed for a math or science career, I think it is okay for her to get a basic exposure to the course and then move on to something else.

• Like 3

Algebra: don't rush.  finish with understanding.

Biology: my oldest barely remembers biology.  She retained long enough to pass a test in high school.  Never needed bio again in college (she's engineering major).    I would not plan on stopping now and picking up a half semester later for a product that you don't know if it will be there or not.  Finish enough to call it a regular class.  Get some books or videos to supplement the topics you are doing.   If the tests are tripping her up, some people switch to some mom made tests on yahoo group. (I can pm you the link).   Add in some field trips especially as spring begins to bloom.     

• Like 2

Also, I agree about not allowing her to rush through algebra. Does she plan to finish in May, take the summer off, then start up with geometry in the fall?

I would make a different plan. I would have her do one lesson per day thoroughly now and complete the rest of the course over the summer, maybe doing math two or three times a week only. That would ensure that she does not forget what she learned.

She will need to remember the algebra as she moves into higher levels of math. In fact, if she has trouble with math, she may want to keep reviewing algebra while she is doing geometry, so that when she gets to algebra II she has not forgotten too much.

• Like 3

the one "internal" pressure she has placed on herself (and it's not just in math...but in other areas as well) is that her younger brother (by a school year) has just started taking the same algebra she is in and she does not want to be in the same math as her younger brother.  So that is one major motivator to keep moving faster rather than slower.

right now she is actually doing very well...but, I think I will force her to slow down if she starts struggling. 

yes, I plan to put her in MUS geometry next year.  

I will modify the biology for her, and call it good.  Thanks for that push.

• Like 3

I would have her finish biology this year. She will not need that knowledge later in highschool if she doesn't plan on taking an advanced biology. If she takes it in college, it kind of starts all over again. I would agree with others algebra is more important because it builds. Can you share what algebra worked for her?

• Like 1

the one "internal" pressure she has placed on herself (and it's not just in math...but in other areas as well) is that her younger brother (by a school year) has just started taking the same algebra she is in and she does not want to be in the same math as her younger brother.  So that is one major motivator to keep moving faster rather than slower.

right now she is actually doing very well...but, I think I will force her to slow down if she starts struggling. 

yes, I plan to put her in MUS geometry next year.  

I will modify the biology for her, and call it good.  Thanks for that push.

That makes things much tougher.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

FWIW, I am in a similar situation in that DS12 is actually ahead of DD15 in math.  

I think you are doing the right thing, by the way.  Help her finish Biology light this year in whatever way she can rather than stopping now and starting over completely in 2 years with a program that may or may not be ready in time and may or may not be a better fit.

Do you know what might be tripping her up?  I would be more concerned about finding the underlying causes of her struggles than with whether she is retaining a lot in Biology.  Does she have low working memory?  Word retrieval issues?  Maybe stealth dyslexia?  Could she have a developmental vision issue (those typically do not show up on a standard eye exam)?

From a person who has a rising 9th grader (so no high school knowledge, LOL):

1.  Consider that the Friendly Biology won't be done when you need it.  If there are production or publication delays, that will blow your whole plan.

2.  If you are nearly done with the school year and your DD has already put a substantial amount of work into biology, it would be a shame to discard all that work.  It may be better just to tough it out and complete the biology she has already started.  Perhaps you can ditch the program you are using and finish up biology with some field trips, some Great Course video lectures on topics that are of particular interest to her, and by reading some books in the field (The Double Helix, Spillover, Only A Theory).  Another option may be to do a science intensive during the summer, when she is not pre-occupied with a full slate of coursework (assuming you don't work year around).

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 2

I would have her finish biology this year. She will not need that knowledge later in highschool if she doesn't plan on taking an advanced biology. If she takes it in college, it kind of starts all over again. I would agree with others algebra is more important because it builds. Can you share what algebra worked for her?

We are using Math Relief Algebra 1.  It is a series of videos and worksheets.  The video part is what has helped her...it's not me teaching her...or her father...but rather someone who REALLY knows what they are talking about...and again, it's not her parents.  

On the same vein, we are also finding great success in Essentials in Writing for the same reason...it's not me teaching..but rather someone else who knows how to teach writing.  She is thriving where she once was struggling. 

As far as why she is struggling...or the underlying issue?  I don't know...except in these 2 areas (writing and math) where she was in tears over it...she no longer is and the ONLY thing we changed was the program...and adding a video element. 

Could I do that with Science...well, I sort of did...I spent the money for the Apologia DVD's and although they helped some...they didn't help enough.  I know there are other options out there...but I think now that we are nearly 3/4 of the way through, I didn't want to spend any more money on this program...and with all of your help giving me the push, now I just want to muddle through until we can get done. 

• Like 1

I would keep working on Biology.  Won't it feel good to get it done?  Even if it means working into the summer.  Also, I don't know about Apologia Biology, but most students in PS don't even finish their textbook.  They do maybe 3/4?  Maybe there are parts you can skip.  Or, maybe you can find something else -- something lighter, even a workbook type deal, that covers the same topic(s) as what she has left.  I wouldn't start over again at this point.

Take your time with Algebra.  I think of all the math they learn in high school, this is by far the most important one.  My kids took almost two years with Algebra!  Don't feel rushed.  Most colleges accept just Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry.

she keeps telling me that all she wants to do is study about animals (like her youngest brother who was doing the Apologia Elementary series...the Zoology books). She says she could care less about cells, plants and the other modules in the biology books.

Yeah, sometimes I tell my kids they just have to do a subject "because they do" and that's too bad. (Or as someone said to me one time--or maybe on here?--sometimes they have to "suck it up, buttercup.") Encourage her that she'll get through it! She's so close, I'd hate to drop/switch now.

However, I'd be all for modifying it too. Some ideas:

I've heard Apologia has some alternate tests that are multiple choice. Email and see if you can get those--maybe she'd score better.

Don't have her memorize the scads of definitions. Have her memorize the ones that will be on the test.

Do tests open book.

Alternate a good lab report for one module, test for the next, rather than tests every module.

If she gets through at least 75%-80% of the modules, let her do the rest as "read only." 

If she gets a low score on a test, allow her to try answering some questions again, answering orally, answering open book--to see if she can find/understand the answer. Allow her to earn points back on the test this way.

I suspect the lack of interest is really what's holding her back here, and would encourage her to persevere. There's value in persevering through things we don't love and completing them (because we have that in all areas of life!)

Maybe some of those ideas would help?

• Like 2

thank you so much for the list of possible ways to persevere.  You are right, that sometimes things just have to be done....I just didn't want her failings to be because of her mom.  I want her to be able to take the ACT and earn a good score.  I want her to succeed in college and get a good job.  I have not been afraid to homeschool this whole time...but high school scares me...and next year I will have 2 in high school...so I am doubly afraid.  But, I too, want to keep pressing on.  The kids want to be home.  I want them home....I just don't want them to regret being home later sometime in their future.

thanks again so much for all of the encouragement and help.  I could never homeschool with out all of you guys.

I posted a link in your other thread about a book with very specific study skills which is critical if you want her to go to college. This book covers how to read textbooks, outlining, note taking, and test taking as well as other tips to be successful student.

Is she taking notes or outlining the chapters in her textbooks? Are you giving her weekly quizzes or even more since quizzes have been shown to help with retention? Are you giving tests every 2 weeks or so as well as comprehensive exams that cover all material? As for open book, I would encourage only to use open book tests only occasionally since she has to learn how to take tests to succeed in college.

Also, when she is studying she should try to use all her senses. She should take notes on videos, say definitions out loud, read texts, make flashcards, etc. See,say, write to learn.

As for her not wanting to study all of biology and only animals, you could let her do extra readings on that but she still needs to meet minimal requirements for college. It is also just life that we have to do some things we are not enthusiastic about.

Lastly, she could use summer to finish up algebra and biology.

I agree with the suggestions to just continue the Algebra at whatever pace works. It's more important to understand the basics of Algebra than to get through it in a school year. You can always speed up the pace on math later on as long as she's got the basics. But, if she doesn't get Algebra I, she won't get any math course that requires basic algebra either. 

My kids never got through their math within the school year. They had a choice of doing it 5 days per week to keep up the pace or just 3 days per week and then finishing it up over the summer.  They chose the latter which gave them time for more courses with a little less stress.  During the summer, we would get it out of the way first thing in the morning.  It actually worked well because we didn't have to spend time reviewing again in the fall.

I would finish out biology - but remember, you are not married to the textbook! There is no rule that says in order to complete a biology credit you must slavishly adhere to one particular book.

I have a bio hater. We covered the most important topics with a standard textbook. I am now finishing the school year with an assortment of topics related to biology that interest my student, have him research topics, write papers, delve into current event questions related to bio (he just finished a project on GMOs). Biology is a huge field and any high school course has  to make a selection of topics.

Pick something she is interested in, use materials that are more suitable than the Apologia text, and finish bio.

• Like 3

what is left in the Apologia that looks important is dissecting. But is it?  I mean, really?  What would happen if she didn't do that?  Or could we just do that part...using a different book?  What would you all recommend? 

You do not have to include dissection in a biology course. You can if your student is interested.

really, there are so many different ways you can choose the focus for your bio course. What does your student want?

• Like 2

I don't think dissecting is as important to bio as it used to be. If you want her to do it, do dissect something.

I just looked at the Apologia table of contents. It looks like she's anout at Ch 14 and has plants and birds left. I think you've covered the major topics. Particularly if she's ever covered those topics before, I'd have no problem having her just read or read and answer the questions and then do some type of research project on a bio subject she is more interested in.

she is actually about ready to start Module 11.  However we have sort of skimmed module 9 and 10.   

What she wants to study is animals. This interest came from her listening to the Jonathan Park audio books and the descriptions of animals from a creationist point of view.  

So, now would you do?  Dissection or not?  I don't really think she will learn what she desires by cutting open a worm using the Apologia text...

I see no need to dissect anything. I don't find it a necessary skill for anybody but chefs and surgeons (who will have plenty of that training in their career preparation).

I think with today's technological opportunities, one can see the interior of animals (if one is so inclined) by watching virtual dissections in much better quality than doing an amateurish dissection at home.

I am opposed to killing animals just so that kids can cut them up and look inside.

If I ever had to have my kids dissect something, it would be an animal that we would eat afterwards.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

...She is also using Apologia Biology and is struggling with that.  She is not understanding much and I fear it is a waste of her time because I am pretty certain she is not going to retain much.

Next year I have slotted in... "Friendly Chemistry"... trying to decide if we should just drop Biology this year, so my daughter can concentrate on Algebra...and not be so stressed over the Biology too.  Then we would pick it up again when she is a Junior using Friendly Biology. 

... what do I put on her transcript for Freshman Science since she didn't finish it.  Biology Part 1.  But then would it look weird to have Bio part 2, 2 years later?  

It is okay to just stop Biology at the end of this year, where ever you are and award partial credit, whatever is appropriate -- example:

0.5 credit = if completed 7-9 of the 16 chapters

0.66 credit = if completed 10-11 of the 16 chapters

0.75 credit = if completed 12-13 of the 16 chapters

1.0 credit = if completed 15-16 of the 16 chapters

More importantly, if DD is not retaining anything with Apologia Biology, why keep going with it?? I'd suggest switching now to something that is a better fit and finish off the year (and the Biology credit) with the new program. Neither of you are going to want to come back to Biology for 11th grade to finish off a partial credit after having done a year of Chemistry with Friendly Biology. I'd just make the best of Biology as you can this year, and then close the door on it and move on in your sciences.

...she is actually about ready to start Module 11.  However we have sort of skimmed module 9 and 10.   

What she wants to study is animals...from a creationist point of view.  

So, now would you do?  Dissection or not?  I don't really think she will learn what she desires by cutting open a worm using the Apologia text...

Just me: I'd drop Apologia (it looks like you have completed a solid 0.5 credit) and spend the rest of the year focusing on zoology (animals) with other materials that would be of high interest. See if you can complete enough material (maybe go into the summer) to make the other 0.5 credit of Biology, and then call it good.

Just go with Virtual Dissections online -- no need to dissect in person.

...we started this year with Algebra 1.  But, she struggled and struggled.  We are on our 3rd program (and it is working, so I am glad for that), but she is wanting to finish the program by the end of the school year (and she figured out if she does 2 lessons daily, she will be done by the end of May).  But that takes up a lot of her time. 

Just my totally unsolicited opinion:

For the math, DD might do better to just do 1 lesson a day and continue into the summer until finished. It's not as big a deal as you might think to sit down for 40-60 minutes 4-5 days a week during the summer and do a math lesson. I speak from experience from walking through doing that with one DS who does not at all click with abstract math topics (Algebra). :)

That would free up and de-stress the rest of this spring semester by just doing 1 math lesson a day. And for a math struggler, it will likely help her retain better -- because she's not trying to jam SO much material into her brain each day (2 lessons a day), and she doesn't lose momentum by taking off from doing math for the summer break. Just a thought, and disregard if DD is determined to finish by May and would be unwilling to work over the summer.

... the one "internal" pressure she has placed on herself (and it's not just in math...but in other areas as well) is that her younger brother (by a school year) has just started taking the same algebra she is in and she does not want to be in the same math as her younger brother.  So that is one major motivator to keep moving faster rather than slower.

Finishing in the summer would also mean she is not doing the same math as her younger brother. BUT... gently, that is SOOO NOT IMPORTANT in the big picture of life! I would REALLY work on this with her. Comparison is the thief of joy. Making choices based on what siblings are doing or what their strengths are will totally rob her of being able to shine in her own areas of strength -- and possibly blind her to seeing doors and paths that are especially open to HER, if she has her eyes fixed behind her in fear of what her younger brother is/isn't doing. :(

In case it helps -- here's our experience with DS#2 with mild LDs and struggles with the higher maths (Alg. 1 and 2). He also did not click well with Apologia (we switched away after Apologia Biology), and he is not a STEM person, although he enjoys things like Mythbusters and real-life physics and chemistry.

For Science, we slowed the pace and did 0.75 credit of science per year of high school, resulting in a total of 3.0 credits (not 4.0). Not a problem if not going into a STEM field, and if not applying to a selective / competitive / top tier college. :)

For Math: DS did Algebra 1 (Jacbos) in 9th; I could tell it didn't quite entirely click, so I had him do all of MUS Algebra 1 for the first semester of 10th, and he knocked out MUS Geometry in the second semester. So, he spent 1.5 years total for his 1.0 credit of Algebra 1 It took 1.5 years to do MUS Algebra 2 -- he just worked through the school year and all the way through the summer. Again, that's just his reality -- 1.5 years to do 1.0 credit of Algebra 2. At that point we stopped the higher math and he did a Consumer Math for 12th grade, which I felt would be much more real-life useful for him.

After graduation he went on to the community college, and had no problems with admissions or the math placement test. MANY universities only require Math up through Algebra 2, esp. smaller liberal arts colleges, or if your student is entering a Fine Arts or Humanities area. There is no concern about the math only up through Algebra 2 if your student first attends a community college for 1-2 years and then transfers to a state university or other college.

Just wanted to encourage you that it will be okay to take a different path, and have a slightly different line-up of credits! That's the beauty of homeschooling -- even in high school you still have leeway to follow your student's passions and to adjust the materials and specific subjects to fit their needs, and still have plenty of room for college or other post-high school graduation career paths! :) BEST of luck to you and DD in the high school journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

(said by Lori D.) Just me: I'd drop Apologia (it looks like you have completed a solid 0.5 credit) and spend the rest of the year focusing on zoology (animals) with other materials that would be of high interest. See if you can complete enough material (maybe go into the summer) to make the other 0.5 credit of Biology, and then call it good.

I would love to do this...I just don't know where to go to find a book...program...to accomplish this.  Can you help me? Or at least send me in the right direction?

For the math, DD might do better to just do 1 lesson a day and continue into the summer until finished. It's not as big a deal as you might think to sit down for 40-60 minutes 4-5 days a week during the summer and do a math lesson. 

What if we take off a lot of time for summer vacations and camping trips?  I have tried to do math in the summer in the past and it just doesn't work. But maybe it's time to try it again.

What if we take off a lot of time for summer vacations and camping trips?  I have tried to do math in the summer in the past and it just doesn't work. But maybe it's time to try it again.

Why didn't it work for you?

We travel a lot in the summers. We usually took 2-3 weeks off all school completely, and then did math (as the only subject) for the rest of the summer. My kids have worked on math at campground picnic tables, in mountain cabins, and in European guest houses.

(said by Lori D.) Just me: I'd drop Apologia (it looks like you have completed a solid 0.5 credit) and spend the rest of the year focusing on zoology (animals) with other materials that would be of high interest. See if you can complete enough material (maybe go into the summer) to make the other 0.5 credit of Biology, and then call it good.

I would love to do this...I just don't know where to go to find a book...program...to accomplish this.  Can you help me? Or at least send me in the right direction?

I am a Christian, and feel it is important to learn from a wide variety of resources from different perspectives, so JMO, but if I were designing this, I personally would choose a secular spine and supplement with specific resources on DD's specific interest on creationism -- hence, the recommendations below reflect this. I tried to include choices for learning style and how formal/informal, and if you want more of a traditional textbook/test set-up or if you want to try a DIY option:

The Internet Science Room: Zoology Class -- secular; free online outline of info

NGSS Life Science Biology Lesson Plans: Animal Science (for gr. K-12)-- secular; links to free lesson plans

An Introduction to Zoology (Springer) -- secular; textbook

Zoology labs and experiments (gr. K-12) -- free online list of links

Glencoe: Zoology (Miller) -- textbook; (secular; specific Zoology topics, with tests and links to resources; linked is the 8th ed. -- the 6th ed. (2004) is under $5 + shipping!)

Biology 101 DVD set -- Christian, creationist perspective; light overview of Biology topics (life classification; plants; aquatic creatures; avian creatures; land animals; mankind; cells/genetics/ brief history of biology)

You might also enjoy including documentary DVDs if DD is more of a visual learner -- PBS Nature series, Life of Mammals series, and various David Attenborough nature/animal series. There is the also the Christian nature appreciation series of DVDs: Wonders of God's Creation.

For the math, DD might do better to just do 1 lesson a day and continue into the summer until finished. It's not as big a deal as you might think to sit down for 40-60 minutes 4-5 days a week during the summer and do a math lesson. 

I'm guessing you have 6-8 weeks left of your school year, if ending in mid- or late-May. If you drop to 1 lesson a day of math now, that will only take up 6-8 weeks of your summer to accomplish the math around 4-6 weeks of vacationing.

Just schedule the math first thing each day -- 9am, the textbook is open at the kitchen table and she's working on it. Maybe find something YOU can do nearby to keep her company -- a project you can commit to so that you each keep one another accountable.

Maybe this is the summer that EVERYONE does an hour of school on the summer days you're not on vacation so DD doesn't feel "singled out" -- if someone struggles with writing, or grammar, or foreign language, or whatever, that's what that student works on. If everyone is doing "bridge schooling" (bridging one school year to the next over the long break in order to not lose skills), then that's just the new normal for everyone.

Also, as Regentrude says, you can do math (or other school work) at picnic tables in cabins or in tents. :) Again, I'd personally make sure everyone has work to do to strengthen their weak area so that no one feels "remedial" and alone.

I did ETA my original post to include this, but I think you replied so quickly ;), you probably missed this edited addition:

... the one "internal" pressure she has placed on herself (and it's not just in math...but in other areas as well) is that her younger brother (by a school year) has just started taking the same algebra she is in and she does not want to be in the same math as her younger brother.  So that is one major motivator to keep moving faster rather than slower.

Finishing in the summer would also mean she is not doing the same math as her younger brother. BUT... gently, that is SOOO NOT IMPORTANT in the big picture of life! I would REALLY work on this with her. Comparison is the thief of joy. Making choices based on what siblings are doing or what their strengths are will totally rob her of being able to shine in her own areas of strength -- and possibly blind her to seeing doors and paths that are especially open to HER, if she has her eyes fixed behind her in fear of what her younger brother is/isn't doing.  :(

:grouphug: Gentle hugs for you and your DD as you walk through this! I know, from walking alongside DS#2, having delays or not being a natural academic is HARD. But I also want to encourage both of you: it is also just a short season, and it does NOT have to "define" who you are -- you choose how you're going to play the hand that's dealt you, and you choose what kind of attitude you have about it. That is NOT easy at all, but it does build your character.  :grouphug: 

BEST of luck, whatever you guys decide, and may there be joy in the journey! Warmest regards, Lori D.

ETA

Below, Root Ann posted some SUPER general Biology resources for just pushing through and finishing Biology this year, if you decide to go that route. And, like Gr8lander, I really wanted to encourage you that you are NOT messing up your DD (your post title) -- lots of great ideas for "just get 'er" done this year in that post, too. Some credits just WILL be that -- get through it, check it off, move on. That is OKAY. Hugs, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

thank you so much for the list of possible ways to persevere.  You are right, that sometimes things just have to be done....I just didn't want her failings to be because of her mom.  I want her to be able to take the ACT and earn a good score.  I want her to succeed in college and get a good job.  I have not been afraid to homeschool this whole time...but high school scares me...and next year I will have 2 in high school...so I am doubly afraid.  But, I too, want to keep pressing on.  The kids want to be home.  I want them home....I just don't want them to regret being home later sometime in their future.

thanks again so much for all of the encouragement and help.  I could never homeschool with out all of you guys.

If it makes your mind rest easier, the science on the ACT has zero science knowledge questions on it. It is more about procedure and reading charts and selections for information. Finishing biology will have no bearing on her score.

what is left in the Apologia that looks important is dissecting. But is it?  I mean, really?  What would happen if she didn't do that?  Or could we just do that part...using a different book?  What would you all recommend? 

It is not important. I would just make sure she is able to identify the basic structures of the specimens and know their function. Honestly, just labeling some drawings a few times should be enough. My girls in college aren't even doing many/any dissections. It is too expensive (not sure where the huge lab fees are going!). They use online resources, models, and a few already dissected specimens which are used by every class.

• Like 4

I would recommend dumping your current biology program because it isn't work for her.

Some options (since she does better with videos):

Crash Course biology https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3EED4C1D684D3ADF

These are great videos. You can skip any areas you feel she knows really well or have her watch the entire series. There are 40 videos and they are 5-10 minutes each.

Amoeba Sisters biology videos

http://www.amoebasisters.com/

They have worksheets for some of these videos as well, but there are no answer keys, so you would need to watch them with her.

Here you can see the suggested order for watching the videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLwL0Myd7Dk1F0iQPGrjehze3eDpco1eVz

There are 33 videos from 4-9 minutes in length.

The worksheets are here: http://www.amoebasisters.com/handouts.html

I think what I would do is just plan on watching the Amoeba sisters videos in order and working through the worksheet that goes with each video (not all videos have worksheets) as she watches them. I had my student who was using this just watch the video first and then rewatch while filling out the worksheet. Sometimes that required backing up and watching a segment again.  The videos are really short, so it's very easy to do this.

If she goes through just one video each school day from now until May (which will probably take about 30 minutes for the days where she is filling out a worksheet), then she can easily finish.

I would not put a kid through dissection unless it is something that she actually wants to do. If you really feel like it's necessary and she doesn't want to do it, then do virtual dissection.

http://www.animalearn.org/links.php#.Vu6xqJwrKhc

• Like 1

I say go on and finish biology, though perhaps tweak the format, and plan to go into summer if necessary. I like the idea of open book tests, and maybe just focus a lot on labs and reading assignments. Give her what she needs, but don't worry about a very thorough biology experience. Just get 'er done, and move on! :-)

You are not messing her up. She will be just fine. As far as math and science, keep it simple, do what you have to to complete basic requirements for her goals, and then focus on the areas that are her strengths. Let her shine at what she does well, whatever that may be.

As far as the ACT, plan on prep specific to that test with a book or course. Don't worry about her science classes prepping her for that. Most curricular options are going to have holes/gaps anyway.

Edited by Gr8lander
  • Like 2

It is okay to just stop Biology at the end of this year, where ever you are and award partial credit, whatever is appropriate -- example:

0.5 credit = if completed 7-9 of the 16 chapters

0.66 credit = if completed 10-11 of the 16 chapters

0.75 credit = if completed 12-13 of the 16 chapters

1.0 credit = if completed 15-16 of the 16 chapters

I actually think this may be overly ambitious. Numerous classes do not finish the book, and by far more than one chapter. 70% is the requirement I see mentioned frequently (and of course sometimes more chapters are omitted intentionally, with other work in their place). 

12 chapters is 75%, and I'd definitely call it a credit. I'd add in some documentaries and casual reading to finish off the year, but I wouldn't pick another text or spend much time scheduling stuff. I'd probably give dd free reign, and just tell her to fill at least 3-4 hours per week with interesting material. 

I would let her make the call on math. Ideally, she would be on board with slowly working through algebra for a solid understanding, but in reality it can be depressing and discouraging when you feel behind, and like you are never going to finish. 

It can be much harder to work on math throughout the year when you are stuck and struggling - you couldn't have paid dd or me to do summer math after her freshman year of algebra! Besides, the book was too tear-stained to read by that point, lol. She had no problems learning concepts she had missed when she did algebra 2, and actually wound up completing that and precalc her junior year. 

Yes, you definitely need a solid foundation in algebra, but how you get that can vary. My dd was getting to the "I hate math" point. I think we would have cemented that attitude if we had struggle on through the summer. She's a senior now, did great on the math section of the ACT, and met with the math department of her future college about a potential major! And best of all, enjoys math again. 

• Like 1

I would let her make the call on math. Ideally, she would be on board with slowly working through algebra for a solid understanding, but in reality it can be depressing and discouraging when you feel behind, and like you are never going to finish. 

It can be much harder to work on math throughout the year when you are stuck and struggling - you couldn't have paid dd or me to do summer math after her freshman year of algebra! Besides, the book was too tear-stained to read by that point, lol. She had no problems learning concepts she had missed when she did algebra 2, and actually wound up completing that and precalc her junior year. 

Yes, you definitely need a solid foundation in algebra, but how you get that can vary. My dd was getting to the "I hate math" point. I think we would have cemented that attitude if we had struggle on through the summer. She's a senior now, did great on the math section of the ACT, and met with the math department of her future college about a potential major! And best of all, enjoys math again. 

This is definitely a YMMV thing. So sorry you guys had such a rough time of it!, katilac! And knowing your student and being able to gauge where the student is with their attitude/ability to keep pushing forward really makes a difference. You did a great job of nailing that for your DD! :)

OP's DD is horrified at the idea of younger sibling doing the same math as she is, so she may be highly motivated to finish it over the summer, if that's what it takes. She's also earlier in the higher math sequence, so not so many accumulated years of "head banging" (lol) over math.

And, while it wasn't the most pleasant of experience, DS#2 and I DID have to do Alg. 2 all 11th grade and all summer, so it is possible even with a math hater (which DS#2 is). He literally finished on a Friday, and he started 12th grade on Monday. Fortunately, the switch was from finishing Alg. 2 to starting Consumer Math, which is not a hard math. Going year-round and straight into the next school year was NOT fun, but even DS#2 saw that he just had to push through it and do it, because his time in high school was running low.

One thought: Geometry is SO different, and often NOT a struggle for students who DO struggle with Algebra 1 and 2 that finishing Algebra 1 over the summer and then starting Geometry in the fall really might not be that painful. Plus, she'd be starting a fresh math with the fresh school year. And if she's using MUS Geometry, she'll likely complete it before the end of the school year -- it's quite "lite".

Thanks for sharing those additional perspectives katilac! Totally agree with you that DD has to have input and be totally on-board with the choice. Hopefully OP will be able to pick through all the thoughts on this thread and find what works best for DD! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

OP's DD is horrified at the idea of younger sibling doing the same math as she is, so she may be highly motivated to finish it over the summer

Lean in, I'm going to whisper this next part so my I don't lose all my home school cred: 

we didn't actually finish the algebra 1 book, we just called it a day and moved on to geometry the next year and then algebra 2

so if she did that, she would just move on and the younger sibling would not be in the same math. My dd did not run into any issues, because everything is explained again in Algebra 2, and it just clicked the second time around. Now, we did do most of Algebra 1, and one of our programs was high on the difficulty scale, so I wouldn't quit halfway through or anything. 

ime, the two worst things in algebra are confusion and negative attitude. A lack of knowledge regarding a topic is better than confusion regarding that topic in my book, when you are going to see the material again. You have to be solid in algebra for college but you do not have to be solid in all of algebra by the end of 9th grade. 

I definitely think working through the summer is worth it in some cases, but the OP's dd will have three full years to work through geometry, algebra 2, and a fourth math. I would just lean toward allocating the potential extra time from geometry to Algebra 2 with review in junior year, as opposed to continuing Algebra 1 in sophomore year. 

Oh, another factor in my dd's favor was that she did Holt Geometry, which includes lots of algebra review, but some extra time for review might work just as well. 

• Like 1