Menu

The long hard slog to the top - He made the team!

lewelma

Oh Kathy, thank you so much.  You will always hold a special place in our family's heart as you were the one who led my ds down this path. 

I was just thinking of you guys this afternoon & hoping to hear some good news soon! I love how much your son excels & loves this whole olympiad math thing. Makes me happy that it worked out so well for him!!

Now I can't wait to hear about his experiences in Hong Kong.... :001_smile:

• Like 5

Sounds like there is going to be tons of work in the next 2 months to prep for the exam, which is definitely going to throw my annual plans into turmoil for the rest of his school work. 

Apparently, you can watch the IMO exam on live streaming.  Can you imagine?   :tongue_smilie:

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 7

DS told me that NZ has a higher percentage of girls on the IMO team than most countries, about one every 3 years.  This year's non-travelling alternate is female and in 11th grade, so she might make the team next year.

Edited by lewelma

Absolutely awesome news!

Please tell him my math- living kiddo lives somewhat vicariously through him:)

She has learned all about math Olympiads as he learned,stressed, and prevailed, and wants to go someday herself...

I had to chuckle at this-my kid has decided, based on his experiences, that she doesn't love math THAT much!-but she'll happily root for NZ ;).

She wants to know if there's a team mascot-and suggested a tuatara. Because, you know, what is more NZ than a tuatara? (Mind you, this is the kid who calls her cheer team, who is officially the Diamonds, the Diamondbacks, because rattlesnakes are better than gemstones.)

• Like 3