Menu

Kids on the spectrum at Christmas

Moxie

When it became a problem, we put an end to the surprise nature of the gifts. At the height we talked through the wish list, made decisions, shopped together, wrapped together, and stored them in the kiddo's closet. 

IMO, there's no reason to continue with surprises when it just causes great anxiety.

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 11

When it became a problem, we put an end to the surprise nature of the gifts. At the height we talked through the wish list, made decisions, shopped together, wrapped together, and stored them in the kiddo's closet.

IMO, there's no reason to continue with surprises when it just causes great anxiety.

Except that he still believes in Santa and has siblings.

What if you just shopped together ahead of time, so that he knows exactly what he is getting for 90% of the gifts? The siblings could participate in the shopping process with him, and Santa would just have one surprise to spring on him. 

(I do this with my entire family--it reduces my stress considerably, and we actually enjoy pulling the items on the lists up online and browsing for the exact one, the perfect color, etc. We do it early to make sure everything comes in, and the anticipation comes from waiting for the day that we get to unwrap our chosen presents. Maybe not very exciting, but it helps so much to have a relaxed, uneventful time at home before we have to go out to more stimulating events at grandparent's houses.)

• Like 2

Yep! I get it.  

The entire 2 weeks before Christmas has my daughter on edge. All the lights, sounds, scents....she loves it all.... and it all overwhelms her on a daily basis.  It is a love/hate relationship around here.  

Ds is always ok with what he gets but it's the anticipation that's the problem. He has trouble sleeping, he tics a lot, can't focus, etc. It was so bad this year that we had to give him his most wanted gift on the 23rd. (We do gifts on the 24th.) On Christmas eve we told him that we would do gifts before dinner, but my annoying brother-in-law announced that the kids could have one gift and the rest had to wait. The tone he used was very authoritarian, which upset my son a lot and he went to his room and didn't want to eat dinner. We decided we weren't going to serve dinner until he was able to eat it with us. It all worked out in the end, but I'm getting a bit tired of bil trying to take charge of things in our house.

Hugs.

My spectrum kid has been obsessing about every little detail of life for two weeks and throwing the tantrums to go with the obsessions. My incredibly sensory, PTSD kid has been having night terrors every night and more tantrums every day than usual. This was capped off by an hour of screaming this morning because he kept jumping in present-opening line, so he ran out of gifts well before his brothers did. Oh, he just discovered that the bedroom door was closed and dropped to the floor in agony and despair. I'm tired!

Ds is always ok with what he gets but it's the anticipation that's the problem. He has trouble sleeping, he tics a lot, can't focus, etc. It was so bad this year that we had to give him his most wanted gift on the 23rd. (We do gifts on the 24th.) On Christmas eve we told him that we would do gifts before dinner, but my annoying brother-in-law announced that the kids could have one gift and the rest had to wait. The tone he used was very authoritarian, which upset my son a lot and he went to his room and didn't want to eat dinner. We decided we weren't going to serve dinner until he was able to eat it with us. It all worked out in the end, but I'm getting a bit tired of bil trying to take charge of things in our house.

Do you or your dh call out your BIL immediately when he tries to take charge? Would cutting him off and telling him that you are going to do things your way make it easier on your ds?

I wouldn't let BIL get away with upsetting your son.

• Like 4

Do you or your dh call out your BIL immediately when he tries to take charge? Would cutting him off and telling him that you are going to do things your way make it easier on your ds?

I wouldn't let BIL get away with upsetting your son.

Yeah, call him on it. Good grief. I'd have a word and say that things can change to suit everyone if need be, but no last minute changes. You need plenty of time to prep your ds. Like weeks, not minutes.

I don't have a spectrum kid. Hugs to all for whom the holiday was rough. The lead up was tough for my anxious kid, but the day was great.

• Like 1

Yup, this. It was hard for me, because I love surprises. But he hates them, and I need to realize that. When we stopped doing a lot of surprises it was so much better. He tells us what he wants, if we can't do something we tell him ahead of time. Many years he got mostly gift cards or money. I HATE that, but it made him happy. We also limit how long we are with extended family, as he couldn't handle it for days on end. 

Also to give you hope he's 16 and got some surprises and had a GREAT Christmas for the second year in a row. After many miserable, meltdown, embarassing years. 

Can you say that Santa can only do one gift, per kid, because he has to get stuff for so many kids this year? Population is increasing, after all. So what ONE gift does he want from Santa? Then get him that one gift? And everything else if from mom/dad siblings and can be off a list he makes, with you ahead of time explaining if something is too expensive, unavailable, etc. 

Another thing is that we don't do naughty/nice stuff. Santa loves being a blessing to kids and does his best to give what they want.

Even with "yes you'll get what you want" and "Santa won't punish you for your meltdowns" we still had a few really loud moments. It was bound to happen. He's trying to build legos while a 1 yr old is screeching and trying to mow everything down with his new ball popper, and right on the other side is a preschooler with a yapping play chihuahua. It's beyond overwhelming.

I feel for you all! Ours went smoothly this year as he got one item he REALLY wanted and nobody got any electronic toys that are noisy. Also, the extended family went elsewhere this year, so no big noisy bash either. That helped it to be really pleasant. However, when the extended family returns, we are having the big noisy bash...so my time of exhaustion and outburst assistance is coming! Especially if he receives only clothing and no legos and says something. I try to tell them every year, but they would rather be offended then listen to me. 

Next Christmas, possibly if you talk with him, a day or 2 before, about what is going to happen,  his behavior night be better? I do not think this is a comparison to what you described, but this week I saw an "Extra" about a program of I believe, the University of Miami and MIA (Miami International Airport), for children with Autism who are going to fly. Before their trip, a day or 2 before, or more than that, they can go to the airport and make a "dry run", experiencing the Check In, Security, Boarding the aircraft, etc., so that when the day for travel comes, it isn't so overwhelming.  How you might be able to do that, before Christmas, to improve your sons behavior, I don't know...   GL

• Like 1

Don't know if this is helpful, because every spectrum kid can be so different.  Here, we spent a lot of time talking about how our lists were for giving Santa ideas.  They were not specific wish lists or demands.  You could feel free to write "heated, inground pool with color changing waterfall", and maybe Santa might be able to surprise you with a really cool sprinkler for the summer or neat bath toys for year round because he knows you like to play in the water, but he is not beholden to run heavy machinery through the backyard on Christmas Eve.

These days, I'm lucky if my now-17yo gives me 2 or 3 ideas. @@