Menu

Why won't rents stop going up?

pinkmint

I agree it's supply and demand. One reason not yet mentioned is that rentals are in high demand because it is becoming more difficult to save up a down payment for a house.

Banks are making it harder to get loans, too.  It can take months to get a home loan approved. And the loan is not always dependent on a person's ability to repay.  It also can depend on the quality of the home.  Many banks will no longer make loans for fixer-uppers because they don't want to take the risk.  All of these hoops to jump through push people into the rental market as well.

I've also heard a number of people say that they are not interested in home ownership because of all the work involved.  And owning a home IS a lot of work.  Even relatively new homes need quite a bit of upkeep.  My husband is always having to repair something or other.  And then there are regular chores like lawn mowing, etc, that many people simply don't want to do or have the time to do.  These sorts of changing desires have a significant impact on the rental market as well.

To the OP:  I hope you will be able to find a house that better fits your needs.  Keep looking and don't give up hope.

Banks are making it harder to get loans, too.  It can take months to get a home loan approved.

It's not actually the banks that are driving this.

It's the new regs that are trying to prevent another meltdown like the one in 2008.  That turned up a lot of really skanky lending practices, but the clamp down has had a lot of unintended consequences.

• Like 3

I know that here, college students or young adults living together drives the rent up.

We live in a tiny rural town in the middle of nowhere, with two small colleges.  The rent for most places here is over $800/month (usually closer to $1200) for anything 2 bedroom.  And that's just two bedroom apartments or tiny houses.  

Compared to where we moved from when DH and I were in college (a very large college town): our one bedroom apartment was $340/month.  A two-bedroom in our apartment complex was still around $400; most in the town didn't go over $500-$600.  Of course that was in 2001; now I'm hearing there are some that are more expensive.  But even when we moved here in 2002, there was absolutely nothing at that price; the lowest then was $700 for a one bedroom apartment.  

There are some 'cheap' places to rent but they are really sketchy.  We did move into a rental home for $400/month here and when my grandma saw it she cried.  We cleaned it for nine full days before we moved in, there were rugs the landlord didn't want us to get rid of that were covered in animal waste, it was just nasty.  But I wanted to stop renting from my ILs (we lived in their basement), so... Link was 9 months old when we lived there and we didn't move till I was pregnant with Pink and we couldn't take the horrible surroundings anymore.  I kept the house spotless, and we did all we could, but the landlord was unhelpful in everything (leaking water heater?  sorry, can't do anything about that... it's your problem.  #what ) and our electricity bill was through the roof in the winter (no a/c so summer was around $30-$40; winter could get up to $500/month).  Even with the 'budget plan' where they average out your payment so it's the same every month, it kept going up and up.  The people behind us ranged from crazy to loud drunken brawls to trying to get me - pregnant with Astro at the time - to come back and do drugs with them.  The last guy had all these dogs that he didn't take care of who were starting to get mean.  But really, not fixing things wrong with the house - that was the last straw.  

I hated that house the whole time I lived there and was always actively looking for something else.

We lucked out with where we live now.  It was a connection we had that got us this house.  We pay just a little bit more than we did for the other one.  But we don't have to pay all of the utilities.  We got the first few months free because we did some painting and fixing up the cabinets and stuff inside the house.  When I saw this house, the guy we know brought me and the boys in and immediately I was like :svengo: thinking I WANT TO LIVE HERE but not wanting to show it too much lol.  Huge backyard, big back deck.  We've lived here for almost 7 years and it's been totally different from living at the other house.

I still would like to buy something, though.  And while I really like this house, there are things I'd want a little different if I could choose.  But that's okay.  I'm content here.  However, the house won't be here forever - it's owned by the residential care facility that surrounds it and the few other houses around us (where DH and I both work lol - the facility, that is) and in the far-future plans it will be torn down.  At the time we moved in they were thinking maybe 5 years; we're already past that but it's still looking like we have time.  Nothing has been talked about as of yet as far as expanding goes, plus the guy next door still owns his land and home. ;)  

The downside is that we've gotten such a good deal here, DH has switched jobs (out of necessity) from what he did before, and now we can afford here but nowhere else because rent is so high.  

Ugh....

(sorry that was a really long story lol.  I guess high rent is a frustration of mine and then I decided to go all into our own dealings!  Sorry about that!)

I wish that my dad and his wife weren't petty, controlling and anti-homeschool because living in a multi-generational household is not a bad idea. They have a house that's triple the size of ours with less than half the people. Sad.

that's sounds very like entitled thinking.  

• Like 5

This is true. I am very human and could stand to manage what we have better. I'm sorry if I sound dismissive about MMM. 

It's just discouraging when managing money slightly better seems to get you basically nowhere. I think a lot of poorer people struggle with this, hence why they buy booze and cigarettes because why bother. But I do want to do better. I have started closely tracking our spending lately. 

I found this helpful years ago.  Even if debt isn't your issue, I think it shows how small things make big differences. http://blog.readyforzero.com/what-is-debt-snowflaking/#.Vns56VJnH4c

I'm curious about what sounds entitled about it?  Because I didn't see it that way at all.

Not the op but I also saw it as entitled thinking. 

She laments that the folks have a house triple the size with half the people but are not of a like mind with them.  It comes across, to me, as her believing the folks should take them in because they have more space.  Now maybe the backstory is that the folks have asked them to move in.  If that's the case, then I wouldn't see it as entitled thinking.

Also curious -- how do you see her statements? 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 2

I'm curious about what sounds entitled about it?  Because I didn't see it that way at all.

PINK MINT; I wish that my dad and his wife weren't petty, controlling and anti-homeschool because living in a multi-generational household is not a bad idea. They have a house that's triple the size of ours with less than half the people. Sad.  

the insinuation that her dad "should" share his big house with her (re: multigenerational housing)  because she has a little one, and he has 3x as much space, but with less than half as many people - but the only reason she doesn't want to is he doesn't support homeschooling.

it's the dad's house - what he does with his house or his money is his choice.  If parents are able and WANT to help their adult children, that's nice - but it is NEVER "owed" to an adult child. 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Taxes for rental properties are usually higher than normal property taxes.  Have you thought about Habitat For Humanity?

I was also thinking about Habitat.  Dh and I volunteer with them  since we agree with their philosophy.  As someone who has made it out of poverty, we love that Habitat gives others the same chance and sense of accomplishment as they purchase their home.  

ETA: 

I'm all for multi-generational living if it works for all involved,  

Renting is one place that dh and I disagree with Dave Ramsey.  He advocates children moving along at 18.  We'd rather our dc live at home and save for a house instead of paying rent.  

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 2

just curious again -- how do you read it? 

I'm trying to think of how to explain it...

It would be as if someone posted a thread asking if they should move in with their parents/in-laws who don't agree with homeschooling, and whom they don't get along with. Everyone would pretty much vehemently say not to move in, and then the OP would agree and accept it but be sad about it and wish it didn't have to be that way.

I could be wrong though.

• Like 3

I'm trying to think of how to explain it...

It would be as if someone posted a thread asking if they should move in with their parents/in-laws who don't agree with homeschooling, and whom they don't get along with. Everyone would pretty much vehemently say not to move in, and then the OP would agree and accept it but be sad about it and wish it didn't have to be that way.

I could be wrong though.

Gotcha. I could totally agree with this as long as it was the older generation issuing the invite.  In your example, I would be sad for the ones needing to move in, too.   

I don't understand how it's entitled sounding, but maybe I wasn't careful enough about how I come across. I'm sorry. 

My dad and his wife actually have suggested we try living with them. I said it was "sad" because I really wish something like that would work, and see all that space they have and wish we could enjoy it. I have a friend who lives in a multi-generational household and it's not perfect but it benefits everyone greatly. I don't want to carry on with too much detail, but the relationship with my dad and step mom has always been extremely strained. My step mom once ran out the door in tears because she said the makeup I was wearing made me look like my mom (my dad's ex). This is just one tiny example. My dad openly shares with me that I am making stupid life choices, and that my kids are suffering because of our "impoverished" lifestyle since I refuse to work and insist on doing silly things that I can't handle like homeschooling. 

I'm just trying to paint a little bit of the background for context. 

(Edited) I am not an innocent angel in the relationship strain, but I'm trying to move forward and make wise decisions with what I expose my marriage and kids to. 

Edited by pinkmint
  • Like 7

the insinuation that her dad "should" share his big house with her (re: multigenerational housing) because she has a little one, and he has 3x as much space, but with less than half as many people - but the only reason she doesn't want to is he doesn't support homeschooling.

it's the dad's house - what he does with his house or his money is his choice. If parents are able and WANT to help their adult children, that's nice - but it is NEVER "owed" to an adult child.

I 100% agree that 18 equals no more parental obligation. Gotta cut the cord some time.

And yet it is not entitled thinking to wish ones parents weren't turds to live with, whether we live with them or not. And yes having turdy parents often makes people sad. Which again, doesn't make them entitled.

• Like 1

Taxes plus increased housing prices.  The value of our home has more than doubled since we purchased 15 years ago.  If a landlord rents a home they do not own outright, then they must charge enough to cover the mortgage, taxes, HOA fees, insurance, and if applicable rental company management fees.  It adds up.   The average price of 3 bedroom homes in my area are $300,000, so the mortgage would be roughly $1500  a month.  Tack on all the other fees, taxes etc and you have a high rental rate. 

People who might be buying houses (in their twenties) are paying student loans instead of saving a down payment. So they increase the rental market. Boomers are looking for a city apartment to rent (but have wealth in their suburban home, so they can go top notch). These both lead to higher demand but not higher supply.

In our area, a lot of the mom-and-pop apartments have been bought by a big investment company. It is a mixed bag - on one hand, they get more expensive. But they also get deleaded (which is super expensive) and are taken from gross to reasonable.

We lived in a college town before where apartments cost "$900 per non-kitchen room" because each room was considered the apartment of one college student. It really sucked the life out of residential neighborhoods as well as our housing budget, as we crammed 4 kids into a two bedroom for $1850/mo (and it was a small two bedroom, otherwise it would have been rented as a 3 bedroom if they could have figured out a way to wall off the living room).

Another factor is short term rentals. If you can use Airbnb to rent out a house for 8 nights per month and make the same (with the possibility of more) than renting it out full time, that takes houses off the market. That kicked in where we moved from after we moved away, but it is apparently a problem now.

You've also got NIMBY problems preventing higher density in many communities. (FWIW, I love high density neighborhoods as long as they are walkable, but a lot of new development, even high density, isn't designed as walkable.)

One last thing is that home ownership is a lot more than a mortgage. We've got a mortgage, HOA fees, water (which all our landlords paid). Then there is upkeep. So far, our washer, dryer, and dishwasher have broken. We've fixed two of the three, but that is time and money. We need a new roof next year or the year after. We replaced part of our fence. We have gotten the furnace serviced. We had shingles on our house replaced. None of these is a huge cost, but they add up. We've been told to expect to replace our furnace in the next five years, and our A/C as well because both are nearing the end of their life.

Emily

• Like 1

Wait, I thought a Texas wasthe land of cheap real estate? Is there nowhere left???

It's not the land prices, but the property taxes, that will kill you in TX.  Specifically, the school district taxes. Our lovely tax bill this coming year is just over 3k, with over 2k of that being the school tax and a little less than 1k being county tax.  If we lived in a municipality it'd probably be a few hundred dollars more. 

We have 1 acre and house less than 1600 sf in a city of around 90k.  And we have a homestead exemption.  All the landlords are paying a full tax rate on each rental.  If our house was a rental the owner would be paying $400 more dollars in taxes than we do as homeowners. 

Stefanie

I don't understand how it's entitled sounding, but maybe I wasn't careful enough about how I come across. I'm sorry. 

My dad and his wife actually have suggested we try living with them. I said it was "sad" because I really wish something like that would work, and see all that space they have and wish we could enjoy it. I have a friend who lives in a multi-generational household and it's not perfect but it benefits everyone greatly. I don't want to carry on with too much detail, but the relationship with my dad and step mom has always been extremely strained. My step mom once ran out the door in tears because she said the makeup I was wearing made me look like my mom (my dad's ex). This is just one tiny example. My dad openly shares with me that I am making stupid life choices, and that my kids are suffering because of our "impoverished" lifestyle since I refuse to work and insist on doing silly things that I can't handle like homeschooling. 

I'm just trying to paint a little bit of the background for context. 

(Edited) I am not an innocent angel in the relationship strain, but I'm trying to move forward and make wise decisions with what I expose my marriage and kids to. 

in your original statement, you gave no ndication your father had invited you to live with him.  that does change things.

some people have relationships they can live with relatives (I know families for whom it has worked well.)  - other's don't.  You couldn't pay me any amount of money to have my mil live with us.  (she's lived with us in the past.  sil is getting paid to house her - and she's in a wheelchair so she can't get into the main house without help.)  sil's dd and I have joked together that $1M A DAY isn't enough money to have her live with us.  (and she's mellowed *considerably* from when she lived with us 30+ years ago.)

your stepmother needs to get over you looking like your mother.  (makes me wonder how secure she feels in the relationship with your father. - nothing to do with reality, just her perception.  does she think you looking like your mom will remind your dad of your mom, make him realize he's unsatisfied with her and want your mom back?).  it's not uncommon for daughters to look like their mother's . . (or fathers for that matter.)  I recently put on lipstick at the make-up counter at Nordstrom  . . . . all I could think was " :eek: I look like my mother" . . . . nope, not buying that one . . . .

parents do worry about adult children, we do want good things for our children. (four of mine are adults.  two completely launched, two in college receiving varying degrees of help from mom and dad.)  try to remember where your dad is coming from - even if you disagree. (it's okay to disagree -you're a grown up now, and you are in charge of your own life.)  My grandmother was very controlling - so I know how that goes. but for her, it was all about herself - no one else.  we were extensions of herself.  so there is a fine line between overly concerned parental units who need to just sit down, shut up, and trust you to your drive your life.  so to speak.  and one who wants to control everything and take all the credit too. and doesn't take 'no' for an answer.

there have been times I've had to bite my tongue and not say anything. 

It's not the land prices, but the property taxes, that will kill you in TX. Specifically, the school district taxes. Our lovely tax bill this coming year is just over 3k, with over 2k of that being the school tax and a little less than 1k being county tax. If we lived in a municipality it'd probably be a few hundred dollars more.

We have 1 acre and house less than 1600 sf in a city of around 90k. And we have a homestead exemption. All the landlords are paying a full tax rate on each rental. If our house was a rental the owner would be paying $400 more dollars in taxes than we do as homeowners.

Stefanie

Our tax rates are considered to be relatively low, but we still pay more than 2-3k for 1/4 of the land. Sheesh. I wish DHs work was more mobile.

What we charge our renters looks crazy high but it includes lawn service and pest control. I can't force the renters to get those services but they are necessary for where we our house is so we include them. We also pay a property manager since we moved out of state. It all adds up. I just received notice from the bank that our payment is going up so if our renters stay, so will their rent.

Edited by Joker

Our tax rates are considered to be relatively low, but we still pay more than 2-3k for 1/4 of the land. Sheesh. I wish DHs work was more mobile.

TX is ranked third highest property tax as a percentage of value, and 12th as a percentage of income.  Not cheap.  Across the board, houses here are just not valued as much as anything near the coasts.  You may pay near the same dollar amount for less property, but that is because the assessed value is insane.  

Stefanie

If an item is necessary to human life, such as food, water, or shelter, the price can go up quite dramatically without the demand going down -- you can't eat money when you are starving, even if you have millions of dollars worth. I think in economics these are called "inelastic" demands (is that right?) Compare this to demand for a unicycle -- if the price is low, most people might buy a unicycle for fun. If the price is too high, though, and the manufacturers of unicycles refuse to lower it, a consumer can simply decide to grow old and die having never owned or ridden a unicycle -- a unicycle isn't essential for human life or (arguably) human happiness.

Another issue that tends to control prices is the availability of workable alternatives. Can an individual produce the item themselves, for instance? With land in the U.S., at least, the answer is usually no -- the last Homestead Act ended in the 70s. More or less all land in the country belongs under law to somebody already. Demand for public housing exceeds supply. Appealing to extended family is still an option for some, but there are many families where even grandma and grandpa don't own their own home. So for the average person there are not many available alternatives to either purchasing a home or renting.

I guess the related question would be why prices for unoccupied houses with high rents don't fall, since in theory at least landlords are supposed to compete with one another for tenants when a house is unoccupied... Admittedly, people often make irrational economic choices, including landlords, but I wonder if maybe there's something else going on...

Edited by Anacharsis
  • Like 2

I guess the related question would be why prices for unoccupied houses with high rents don't fall, since in theory at least landlords are supposed to compete with one another for tenants when a house is unoccupied... Admittedly, people often make irrational economic choices, including landlords, but I wonder if maybe there's something else going on...

I have wondered about this for commercial rentals as well. I live in an area that has a lot of new building, both residential and commercial, yet I have seen commercial spaces (in newer buildings in medium to high traffic areas) remain empty for a decade. At some point it seems like the landlord would relize the rent is way too high.

As far as high rents for vacant houses, maybe the landlords would rather have the place be empty than lower the rent to a price they perceive might be affordable enough to attract riff-raff.

The input here has been helpful and given some insights. I googled the address of the house we rent and it's estimated value is between $40k - $70k. And I am pretty sure our landlord has owned this place for a long time, so I'm guessing it's paid off and that he doesn't have a mortgage, hence why our rent is so low. Like I said, the home values are so low here for a reason, and I like most people would not live here given a choice. 

But it makes me realize that it's a blessing to be able to live in a 3 bedroom single family home for what many 1 bedroom apartments are going for. 

Wait, I thought a Texas wasthe land of cheap real estate? Is there nowhere left???

here we live in central FL is still fairly cheap. We're in a very rural county though. Transportation costs definitely balance out the low housing costs since we have to drive an hour for almost everything.

ETA - we drive 20 minutes for groceries and karate. An hour is normal for a lot of activities though, like science classes and community theatre for Brotherman.

Edited by Truscifi

Supply and Demand. Increased Property Taxes. Increased costs of maintenance.  POPULATION INCREASE.  I lived in Plano TX in the early 80s. My guess is that at that time, the population was approximately 50,000. Now, it is probably close to 300,000. Toyota moved their USA HQ to Plano TX.   A few days ago, I saw a story on National (USA) news about a Trailer Park in Palo Alto, CA. The tenants pay $1000 a month, for their spaces. A typical one bedroom apartment in Palo Alto rents for $2500 a month.     When I was very young (I am very old now) my parents bought a home in an extremely desirable neighborhood in the Los Angeles area (remember the rules: Location, Location and Location) for $15000. Now, that property is worth almost 2 million dollars.  (I suspect at some point, the house we lived in was leveled and that a newer house is now on that lot).   We live in South America and the lot we purchased in 2003 is worth approximately 4X what we paid for it. No new land is being created (with the exception of the artificial military islands China is constructing).

I read that there has been a huge demographic shift in the choices of the latest generations. Wealthy Baby Boomers and Generation X fled the cities to live in suburban areas especially when they were ready to raise children. Now, in a very distinct shift wealthy Generation Y and Millenials are choosing to move to the cities and raise their children in the cities. This is driving the prices in urban areas extremely high and so the urban lifestyle, once one of relative poverty, is now a luxury good.

It is not any cheaper in the suburbs on the West Coast!

I think that there is less land. Population up, land within a 40 minute drive if an industrial / population center, same as in 1955.

However the rate at which rents go up can suggest a bubble or unusual population growth (both in our case).

the insinuation that her dad "should" share his big house with her (re: multigenerational housing)  because she has a little one, and he has 3x as much space, but with less than half as many people - but the only reason she doesn't want to is he doesn't support homeschooling.

it's the dad's house - what he does with his house or his money is his choice.  If parents are able and WANT to help their adult children, that's nice - but it is NEVER "owed" to an adult child. 

It is true that it is never owed to adult children but I would hope that families could be there for one another unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances.. Multi-generational homes were the norm here in our country and makes a lot of sense economically to me.

When I was born, I lived in a multi-generational home with extended family. I would hope that I could be there for our parents or my kid or our siblings if ever need be.

• Like 2

It is true that it is never owed to adult children but I would hope that families could be there for one another unless there are extreme extenuating circumstances.. Multi-generational homes were the norm here in our country and makes a lot of sense economically to me.

When I was born, I lived in a multi-generational home with extended family. I would hope that I could be there for our parents or my kid or our siblings if ever need be.

it's not the child's decision to decide if the parent can take them in - just as it's not the elderly parents decision to decide if the adult child can take them in. it's nice if it works - just as often it's a disaster waiting to happen. there should never be coercion. 

I was disgusted with one woman who manipulated her dh to allow her toxic mother to move in.  in another case a toxic son who manipulated his mother to move in.  in both cases - it was ultimately about money/greed. (as opposed to true need on either side.)

I know people for whom it has worked (both young and old) - and others for whom it was a life-changing (for the worse) disaster.