Menu

Green veggie for Christmas dinner - recipes/ideas?

PuddleJumper1

Green beans with ginger butter:

2 lbs green beans, trimmed

1 3" piece fresh ginger

3 tbsp unsalted butter

Zest of 1/2 lemon

Cook beans until just tender.

Peel ginger and cut into matchsticks. Heat butter over medium until the foam subsides, add ginger and cook until golden (abt 3 min). Add the beans, toss to coat, and cook until just heated through (1-2 min). Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and salt to taste.

ETA: you can cook the green beans the day before and finish them the day of.

Serves 6-8 as a side

Edited by HOPE_Academy
  • Like 1

These look delicious! Thanks

Roasted Brussel sprouts

Roasted asparagus

A variation on a green bean casserole

Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower

------------------------------------------------

Pop Quiz: Which of these things is not like the others?

We could go with a roasted theme :) Yummy ideas.

Green beans with ginger butter:

2 lbs green beans, trimmed

1 3" piece fresh ginger

3 tbsp unsalted butter

Zest of 1/2 lemon

Cook beans until just tender.

Peel ginger and cut into matchsticks. Heat butter over medium until the foam subsides, add ginger and cook until golden (abt 3 min). Add the beans, toss to coat, and cook until just heated through (1-2 min). Remove from heat and add the lemon zest and salt to taste.

ETA: you can cook the green beans the day before and finish them the day of.

Serves 6-8 as a side

We love ginger here. Adding this to my need to try list.

Asparagus (stir fried or steamed)

Brussel Sprouts (steamed with butter/margarine, salt and pepper)

Spinach (saute garlic in olive oil, add spinach washed with a little moisture left in to steam, stir, and cover with lid until wilted)

Broccoli Rabe (parboil for 2 min in boiling water, blanch in ice water, drain, then sauté like the spinach above)

• Like 1

My MIL makes something like this with green beans. It's basically a hot green bean dish with cherry tomatoes, cheese, and toasted bread crumbs. It's delicious.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7079883

We love to sautee green beans in a little butter with salt and lots of garlic. Yummy and easy!

For Christmas Eve I am making this salad. My sister is making prosciutto-wrapped asparagus. 

Yum! Yum! Yum! 

My MIL makes a brussels sprouts and artichoke hearts casserole that is delicious.

A pound of brussels sprouts, cooked most of the way. A can of artichoke hearts, in water not oil.

In a small bowl, mix 1/2 C mayo, 2 t. fresh lemon juice and 1/2 t. celery salt and pur over veggies in a casserole dish.

Top with sliced or slivered almonds.

Heat at 325 until golden and bubbly and hot through.

• Like 1

roasted asparagus

shredded brussel sprouts sauteed with onion, drizzle in some balsamic vinegar, toss with a little parmesan and dried cranberries

broccoli rabe (blanched then sauteed with olive oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes

steamed fresh green beans (I think green beans go with everything)

green salad 

If you're up for two dishes, I'd go with one cooked and a fresh salad.

• Like 1

We have a greenhouse so we grow spinach and other greens year round. We will be having spinach based salad. I usually add in almonds, feta cheese, and tomato (also fresh from the greenhouse). I toss everything in a splash of balsamic vinegar. If you want a more traditional dressing you could make one with EVOO and the vinegar.

• Like 1

My family does a wilted spinach salad for holidays. You make a vinegar/sugar/bacon dressing, heat, cool slightly, and pour over the salad to wilt. The salad is fresh spinach, boiled eggs, onion, bacon. Yum! You can also do wilted endive, wilted lettuce, etc.

Recipe?

Peas with carrots, mint, and scallions: Cook peas and carrots in the usual way. When done, add butter, salt, and finely chopped mint and scallions. Stir.

Brussel sprouts roasted with a maple mustard glaze: Halve your brussel sprouts. Notch halfway up each half. Put cut-side down in a pan, cover with salt, pepper, oil, brown mustard, and maple syrup in proportions that make sense. Garlic is also an option. Roast in a pre-heated 450 oven for 25 minutes, taking out halfway through to stir.

Sauteed spinach: Cook some onions and garlic in oil over low heat, with some optional red pepper flakes. While they're cooking, soak some raisins in broth or hot water. Add finely chopped spinach to the skillet and cover. Once wilted (maybe a minute or two), add the raisins and optional anchovies. Add some balsalmic vinegar or lemon juice and salt to taste.

Eggs in a nest: Finely chop some kale and spinach with some scallions. Toss in a baking pan with oil, salt, pepper, and EITHER finely chopped fresh dill OR mint. Make several indentations, add an egg to each one. Sprinkle all over with feta cheese. Stick in a pre-heated oven at 350 for 20 - 30 minutes, depending on whether you find runny yolks delicious or gross. This is better for breakfast, but I'll eat it whenever I can.