Menu

Question re:second-hand gift basket; does it matter?

Ginevra

Second-hand gift basket - okay or no?   

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you give the basket?

• I would give it because DH said it doesn't matter and it is his mom.
    • I would give it because there are enough baskets in the world; just use this one.
    • I would be unlikely to give it because it is flawed.
    • I would be unlikely to give it because it is used.
    • I would never give a used item as all or part of a gift.
    • Other

I might make this a poll.:) People love answering polls and it lets me see where opinions fall graphically.

For MIL, my parents, and my sister, I am making themed gift baskets for Christmas. MIL is pretty hard to buy for; she needs nothing and doesn't have hobby stuff really, and has dementia. But, I decided to put together a kitchen goodies basket. I bought individual things for the basket - potholders, kitchen towel, hand soap dispenser, salt, coasters, etc. it's quite adorable and I think it is perfect for her. I did not buy a basket at the store because here was my thinking: a) she does not care about the actual basket; b) she is frugal and knows I am, too; c) whenever I am at the thrift store, there are a bazillion baskets; no doubt they once held themed stuff given from Harry and David, Vermont Country Store, etc.

I went to GW and found what appeared to be an ideal basket for .60. But it had a stained area on the interior and a bit on the exterior towards the bottom. It looked like it held food once, which leaked and something like soy sauce or whatever spilled in it. No problem, I think. I'll spray paint the basket. So this is what I did; sprayed it red and it is very cute and the perfect size and shape for my purposes.

BUT! The paint did not fully conceal the stain, either on the inside or the outside. The outside, it is barely noticeable unless you are looking it over carefully, but you would plainly see it on the inside if you took out all the gifts and the tissue paper. At first, I was going to get a different basket, but DH said it wasn't necessary. He said it is so improbable that she would *ever* care, if indeed she *ever* notices it. After seeing how cute all the items look in the basket and how well they fit, I think I may just let it be. Would you get a different/new/perfect basket?

Well, I would probably paint over the stained areas with primer, to seal the stain, then repaint.  It would add a couple extra hours drying time, but it would be worth it to me to make it as perfect as possible.  (Note, I'm not such a perfectionist about everything, but this kind of thing would bug me forever, wondering if she was looking at it, and wondering...)

• Like 4

You need on of those tags that says something like "changes in color of this product are meant to show its natural beauty and should not be viewed as flaws...."

Kidding.

I think it is fine.

Or, "Basket was crafted by an artisan who might have been drunk." :D

• Like 11

I would use it because it's just the container - the gift is what's inside.    Honestly, by the time packages get opened at our house, bows are smashed, ribbons are twisted, and nothing looks "perfect" anymore.   Especially since your DH gave you the go-ahead, I doubt she'd even notice.

I use the same reasoning in my household to purchase books used rather than new.   By the time one of my kids reads and re-reads a book, it certainly looks "used," but who cares?   The important part is the story, not the condition of the pages.

• Like 1

I'd use it without a second thought.  It's just a container.  But you also mentioned she has dementia, so even if she did happen to notice, it's not likely she is going to be sitting and dwelling on it and wondering why you gave her a used basket.  If she even notices she will probably forget just as fast.  Use it and don't give it a second thought.

• Like 1

I'd use it without a second thought. It's just a container. But you also mentioned she has dementia, so even if she did happen to notice, it's not likely she is going to be sitting and dwelling on it and wondering why you gave her a used basket. If she even notices she will probably forget just as fast. Use it and don't give it a second thought.

There's probably a fair chance that she'll see the basket on the counter a week after Christmas and think, "Well, now that's lovely...where did it come from?" ;)

• Like 3

I voted other.  I would use it, but not just because your husband said it was okay.  You took the time to find this basket that fits the gift perfectly.  You found a flaw in the basket and painted over it.  This isn't just a last minute thrown together gift. It was well thought out. 

• Like 4

I voted other. I would use it, but not just because your husband said it was okay. You took the time to find this basket that fits the gift perfectly. You found a flaw in the basket and painted over it. This isn't just a last minute thrown together gift. It was well thought out.

This is what DH said as well, that I had chosen each gift in the basket personally and took extra effort to paint the basket. It was not a Click-of-a-Mouse purchase and he feels that says a lot.

• Like 3

Well, I would probably paint over the stained areas with primer, to seal the stain, then repaint. It would add a couple extra hours drying time, but it would be worth it to me to make it as perfect as possible. (Note, I'm not such a perfectionist about everything, but this kind of thing would bug me forever, wondering if she was looking at it, and wondering...)

This is what I would do. No problem on the second hand thing, but the stain would make me jog that little extra mile to conceal it.

• Like 1

Or, "Basket was crafted by an artisan who might have been drunk." :D

Oh well then I'm sold.  I say you use it.

If this were my MIL, she'd find fault with it.  She'd find fault with absolutely positively anything though.  If she were dying of thirst and someone finally gave her a life saving glass of water she'd complain about the color of the glass.

• Like 1

Oh well then I'm sold. I say you use it.

If this were my MIL, she'd find fault with it. She'd find fault with absolutely positively anything though. If she were dying of thirst and someone finally gave her a life saving glass of water she'd complain about the color of the glass.

That's too bad. :( My MIL is a wonderful, good lady. It's just heartbreaking to see her slip into her own little world.

This is what I would do. No problem on the second hand thing, but the stain would make me jog that little extra mile to conceal it.

I may do this yet, just to put my mind at ease that I made every effort to "perfect" the basket.