Menu

Board games that are suitable for the whole family?

TammyS

Another vote for Forbidden Island. My DD wasn't into it last year at 4yo, but loved it this year and so do the adults.

Almost anything by Gamewright or ThinkFun that I've tried has also worked - Sleeping Queens, Zeus on the Loose, Swish, Rat A Tat Cat.

Qwirkle. Yahtzee.

Edited by Jackie
  • Like 1

We just bought Ticket to Ride and it's great. it is easy to learn and can be played by a variety of ages as long as the child can read. It is a train game of strategy where you have to plot to complete your route without being blocked by other players. The scoring is easy and one can start more than one train route. You have to collect the cards for certain trains and play them according to how many each route needs. If you complete your route you get bonus points, and there are additional points to the player at the end who has the longest, contiguous connecting train.

• Like 2

We really like cooperative games because then older players can "fairly" help younger players - Castle Panic and Forbidden Island are two of our favorites.

I'm so glad to hear this.  Both are going under the tree this year and Castle Panic is going to be a first boardgame for a kiddo who has to work a little bit harder at games! :)

Telestrations is a great game. It is basically Telephone, but it has been the most requested game at our house and at every teen game party we attend. All ages can play together and have fun.

We love Telestrations! We've played it as a family, with a group of adults only, and ds has hosted teen game nights where they played it. It's a lot of fun

Another game we like is Rummicube. but it has a maximum of 4 players.

Phase 10 and Five Crowns are card games rather than board games, but both are suitable for family play.

We love Ticket to Ride, Clue, Life, Monopoly Jr, Blokus, Lego games, Eye Found It games, Obstacles (a cooperative game that isn't a board game but a creative thinking game), Race to the Treasure (cooperative and more fun for the younger age). My youngest is a non reader (he's in level 1 of AAR) but with a little support he does fine with any game.

• Like 1

We love Ticket to Ride, Clue, Life, Monopoly Jr, Blokus, Lego games, Eye Found It games, Obstacles (a cooperative game that isn't a board game but a creative thinking game), Race to the Treasure (cooperative and more fun for the younger age). My youngest is a non reader (he's in level 1 of AAR) but with a little support he does fine with any game.

I was looking at Race to the Treasure for a non-reading 5yo.  Could she do it?

If not more than 4 players, Sorry or Parcheesi. Chinese checkers, checkers (get multiple boards and play round-robin tournaments!), Munchkin (can play cooperatively or as teams if you want), Magic, Monopoly, Uno, Phase 10, Crazy 8's...

Some of us like the I Spy Treasure Hunt game.  http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Treasure-Hunt-Board-Game/dp/B00ENM93PY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449521271&sr=8-3&keywords=i+spy+treasure+hunt

It has poor reviews because the shovel really doesn't work.  We just "dig" with our hands.  It's kind of like memory, but you don't have as many cards to look through at a time.

It's nice for moms who have short attention spans.   :leaving:

• Like 1

Thank you all so much!  I've got lots of options I'm looking at.  Some of the games mentioned (like Catan) I'm pretty sure my 5 year old couldn't get yet (he just turned 5 in Sept, and is reading only a tiny bit), but they will definitely be good options for the next year +.  Right now, Quirkle and Forbidden Castle are topping my list.  But there are others that look interesting, too (unfortunately, not made of money, and boy can board games be expensive!).

Thank you all again!  This is great!

We just bought Ticket to Ride and it's great. it is easy to learn and can be played by a variety of ages as long as the child can read. It is a train game of strategy where you have to plot to complete your route without being blocked by other players. The scoring is easy and one can start more than one train route. You have to collect the cards for certain trains and play them according to how many each route needs. If you complete your route you get bonus points, and there are additional points to the player at the end who has the longest, contiguous connecting train.

We love this one, too.

Apples to Apples (both the junior and the regular version) get played regularly here, too.