Menu

If you were feeding a dozen teens (boys and girls) for a party...

fairfarmhand

Pizzas.  Chips & Dip.  Sub sandwich platters.  Sodas galore. This delicious punch:  Plan for a refill on the punch because it WILL run out.

Chex mix.  M&M's.  Jelly Bellys.  Maybe a S'mores bar if you trust the group around fire or have a fire pit in the backyard.

Edited to fix the link.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Popcorn.  Tortilla chips and salsa.  Cookies.  Cake.  Pizza (if you have Costco near you, their huge fresh pizzas are great - you bake at home).  To accomodate the health-conscious, maybe some apple slices (dipped in Sprite or orange juice to prevent browning) and/or a small veggie tray. 

As a mom of a teen boy, this makes me giggle. Depending on the teen, an entire entree could be considered an appetizer! 

sigh. I know.

I've just been informed that the guest list has grown to 16...9 of which are boys.

and there goes the grocery budget.

I'm making a pot of chili and potato soup. (figured I may as well feed them cheap food even if that's more of a meal)

I'd considered just pitching meat into the room and running away. (you think a side of beef will fill hold them for 3 hours?)

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 6

Awww.  Don't 'dis the young men :)

I love feeding teens.  Love them around, love to see them eat.  Love to know they are safe - cared for - and to see my kids choosing great friends.

I hope the event surprises you and instead of feeling ... imposed on...(that's too strong but you hopefully know what I mean) that you instead are delightfully amazed and blessed by it all~

We entertain teens every Sunday over here, I know what you mean about amounts, expense, etc. So hopefully you take what I'm giving as encouragement.  I'm so happy for you.  Hope it's a blast.

I was going to suggest chilli with the fixins, cheese - avocado - sour cream - etc.  But you already got that, it is easier, I've found to just make real food than try to fill them with bags of air - bka chips.

Edited by momee

I have fed a group of teens monthly for about 5 years now. This is what I have learned: 

Party food or not, they are always hungry and it is always supper. 

But they don't want plated food, because they are constantly talking, moving, and running around like lunatics. Finger foods go the fastest every time, plated food has leftovers every time. The exceptions are meatballs and cocktail weiners.

They don't eat the healthy stuff, no matter what their moms say  :laugh:. Veggies are generally ignored, even with dip, and fruit gets eaten if there's chocolate or caramel to dip it in. 

So my crew would definitely go for the taco dip. Other favorites: pizza (they never get tired of it), taquitos, premade sandwiches, nachos and cheese (I make one batch cheese only and one batch with meat), chicken fingers, hot dogs, pigs in a blanket, chocolate chip cookies, funfetti cookies, brownies, ice cream, muffins, and it's a great night when I put out candy. Cake or cupcakes with frosting go untouched, but it might be different if you do a birthday cake. 

They drink a horrifying amount of soda. 

• Like 4

Awww.  Don't 'dis the young men :)

I love feeding teens.  Love them around, love to see them eat.  Love to know they are safe - cared for - and to see my kids choosing great friends.

I hope the event surprises you and instead of feeling ... imposed on...(that's too strong but you hopefully know what I mean) that you instead are delightfully amazed and blessed by it all~

We entertain teens every Sunday over here, I know what you mean about amounts, expense, etc. So hopefully you take what I'm giving as encouragement.  I'm so happy for you.  Hope it's a blast.

I was going to suggest chilli with the fixins, cheese - avocado - sour cream - etc.  But you already got that, it is easier, I've found to just make real food than try to fill them with bags of air - bka chips.

Naw! I am looking forward to it. I love these kids. They're great. I get to be in charge of the games. But feeding them does intimidate me, For sure.

• Like 2

Cheese and crackers. 

Fruit tray. 

Assorted sweets -- big cookies, key lime bars, cowboy bars, etc.Or more Christmasy if close to Christmas. 

Cheese quesadillas cut into quarters (add chicken if you want to kick it up a bit). 

chicken wings, drummettes

Sausages wrapped in biscuits

Keep in mind, too, that if, by any chance, you run out of food (unlikely because you are preparing well), they will probably just pool their resources and order some pizza or send someone out for it. I've noticed groups of teens can be very resourceful in this regard!