Menu

Current pet peeve

Moxie

How long are they supposed to be? I've never done one that wasn't from Dec 1-25th but I'm not Catholic, so maybe that makes a difference.

Edited by Arctic Mama

I have wondered that myself. They really are Christmas countdown calendars, aren't they?

I don't think Advent is a Catholic only thing. I grew up in the Methodist and Presbyterian churches and we always celebrated Advent, with a wreath and candles and Bible readings. My mom used to play Prepare Ye The Way of The Lord from Godspell the first Sunday in Advent to wake us up. I should have done that this morning. Maybe with dinner.

• Like 4

I don't think Advent is a Catholic only thing. I grew up in the Methodist and Presbyterian churches and we always celebrated Advent, with a wreath and candles and Bible readings. My mom used to play Prepare Ye The Way of The Lord from Godspell the first Sunday in Advent to wake us up. I should have done that this morning. Maybe with dinner.

Who said Advent is a Catholic only thing?  I go to a UCC/UU church, and we just celebrated the first Sunday of Advent today.  Lit the first candle in the wreath, sang Advent songs, and the sermon was also Advent-related.

But I've never had an Advent calendar that had more than December on it - I think it has more to do with not wanting to reprint new ones every year...

Nobody said it was a Catholic thing.  

Most liturgical churches observe Advent.  In the West it's always 4 Sunday's preceeding Christmas, so the length depends on which day of the week Christmas falls.   Each Sunday has a special meaning, although I think different traditions have different themes (I was Lutheran before).  In the East Advent is 40days long.  We don't have special themes for each Sunday though (we do Sunday themes during Lent). 

Advent is celebrated by Christian churches who follow or incorporate the Liturgical Calendar in their worship, isn't it?     (Asking because that's what I think but I am not sure and am happy to be corrected.)  (And is celebrated the right word?  I feel like there is a better word but I can't come up with it.)

Most "Advent Calendars" are simply Christmas Countdown calendars.  Nothing wrong with them (in my opinion of course) but I wish the term "Advent Calendar" was reserved for those that truly are Advent-related.

I was raised in the Roman Catholic church and became Protestant as an adult.  Methodist and Presbyterian churches I have attended had Advent incorporated into worship services though my current Presby. church does not.

• Like 1

Who said Advent is a Catholic only thing?  I go to a UCC/UU church, and we just celebrated the first Sunday of Advent today.  Lit the first candle in the wreath, sang Advent songs, and the sermon was also Advent-related.

But I've never had an Advent calendar that had more than December on it - I think it has more to do with not wanting to reprint new ones every year...

Arctic Mom said she didn't know when Advent started because she isn't Catholic.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 1

Advent is celebrated by Christian churches who follow or incorporate the Liturgical Calendar in their worship, isn't it?     (Asking because that's what I think but I am not sure and am happy to be corrected.)  (And is celebrated the right word?  I feel like there is a better word but I can't come up with it.)

"Observed" may be the word you're trying to find.

I was raised Catholic (1960's) and we never had an Advent calendar nor did anyone we knew (and nearly everyone we knew was also Catholic). When I first heard of them I thought they were a Protestant thing. 

We did however, know when it was Advent based on the color the priest wore*.

*To this day I can rattle off the vestments: the amice, the alb, the cincture, the stole, the maniple, and the chasuble. Do they still make Catholic school kids memorize that?

Well, Advent is a different number of days depending on the year. So having it made solely for December is the easiest way to have one that can be used every single year.

That being said, your pet peeve is bothering my kids this year too. They are so excited to start using their Advent calendars. (They are ones my mom made...one is the one I used growing up.) And at 5, 3, and 2, they don't understand why they didn't get to put something up today because "It's Advent, Mom!"

Thankfully, they loved the Advent wreath at Mass (yes, we are Catholic) and are looking forward to our special Advent wreath prayer time at dinner.

• Like 1

I was raised Catholic (1960's) and we never had an Advent calendar nor did anyone we knew (and nearly everyone we knew was also Catholic). When I first heard of them I thought they were a Protestant thing. 

We did however, know when it was Advent based on the color the priest wore*.

*To this day I can rattle off the vestments: the amice, the alb, the cincture, the stole, the maniple, and the chasuble. Do they still make Catholic school kids memorize that?

Your church didn't have an Advent wreath?!?

Your church didn't have an Advent wreath?!?

Yes they did, but it wasn't a big deal and an Advent calendar was just not a thing. We mostly paid attention to what the priest wore, what the nuns taught us in school, and the part of the mass where we're told what day it is (as in "the second Sunday of Advent"). 

Could the fact that it was Franciscan have made a difference? I really don't know much about the different orders. I do know they weren't big on decorations and adornments and always thought it had to do with the Franciscan vow of poverty attitude.

Arctic Mom said she didn't know when Advent started because she isn't Catholic.

Yes, no Protestant church I've ever attended here or in the UK has observed any of them. If it is a liturgical thing that makes more sense.

Advent is celebrated by Christian churches who follow or incorporate the Liturgical Calendar in their worship, isn't it? (Asking because that's what I think but I am not sure and am happy to be corrected.) (And is celebrated the right word? I feel like there is a better word but I can't come up with it.)

Most "Advent Calendars" are simply Christmas Countdown calendars. Nothing wrong with them (in my opinion of course) but I wish the term "Advent Calendar" was reserved for those that truly are Advent-related.

I was raised in the Roman Catholic church and became Protestant as an adult. Methodist and Presbyterian churches I have attended had Advent incorporated into worship services though my current Presby. church does not.

Okay! I have noted some bloggers creating advent activities and I just don't see why I need something like that to enhance my worship or Christmas celebration. I get a feeling I'm not understanding something significant here - but most of what is on the liturgical calendar seems unnecessary to me. Can you explain it a bit as I may be misunderstanding something.

This is what I found online:

"The Catholic Church sets aside certain days and seasons of each year to recall and celebrate various events in the life of Christ. In its Roman Rite the liturgical year begins with Advent, the time of preparation for both the celebration of Jesus' birth, and his expected second coming at the end of time."

Edited by Arctic Mama

So my SIL goes to a Lutheran Church.  She said this (today) was their third week of Advent.  No one (including her) could understand this.  We had 4 Lutherans, 2 Presbyterians, 1 Methodist, and 1 Catholic in our midst at the time of this discussion.  We all thought today would be the first day of Advent (4 Sundays before Christmas).

Edited by Pink and Green Mom

Okay! I have noted some bloggers creating advent activities and I just don't see why I need something like that to enhance my worship or Christmas celebration. I get a feeling I'm not understanding something significant here - but most of what is on the liturgical calendar seems unnecessary to me. Can you explain it a bit as I may be misunderstanding something.

"The Catholic Church sets aside certain days and seasons of each year to recall and celebrate various events in the life of Christ. In its Roman Rite the liturgical year begins with Advent, the time of preparation for both the celebration of Jesus' birth, and his expected second coming at the end of time."

Others here are better equipped than I to speak on the Liturgical Calendar, and I hope someone will.  

For me, it is not necessary but I find it desireable.  My church does not consider it necessary, and thus does not incorporate it into Sunday worship.  However, people are free to do Advent wreaths, readings, etc., at home - there is no one saying not to do it.  I find having some special readings at this time of year help me regain a feeling of wonder for the Incarnation of Christ.  As someone raised in a Christian home, I find my faith can become rather dull - sort of a "yeah, I believe, but so what" sort of feeling.  Advent readings help me counteract that.   (When my kids were little we tried to do Advent wreaths or Jesse trees but things like that never work out for us.)

I've never seen an Advent calendar that wasn't 24 or 25 days, depending on whether it stopped at Christmas Eve or Christmas. I realize that the length of Advent varies from year to year.

We have done a Jesse Tree and an Advent wreath before, but the candy "Advent" calendars don't have anything to do with that. They're just misnamed.

Edited by Word Nerd

Yes, no Protestant church I've ever attended here or in the UK has observed any of them. If it is a liturgical thing that makes more sense.

Interesting to see the differences.... I've always gone to some type of Protestant church and they all celebrate Advent.

• Like 1

Liturgically, Advent is a penitential season (though not as heavily penitential as Lent), and all about getting prepared to receive Jesus.  Despite "candy calendars", it is NOT the Christmas season.  In fact, Christmas BEGINS on Dec 25 and last for the 12 days of Christmas, until Epiphany. 

So, it's like Lent in that we are to be preparing ourselves for the coming of Jesus.  Practically, in my family (all families will do this somewhat differently), this means things like: make sure to go to confession (if you don't have a regular confession day that you go), clean the house, turn more attention to the prayer life, make plans to celebrate Christmas, send cards to keep in touch with family as an extension of God's love for us all, make conscience acts of kindness and giving, Advent wreath, maybe a Jesse tree (if I can get to it).  The overall message of Advent: Jesus is coming, be ready!

Here is one homily to give you some idea (though by no means an exhaustive one) of what we're hearing about at this time of year: http://blog.adw.org/2015/11/a-recipe-for-readiness-homily-for-the-first-sunday-of-advent/

• Like 4

Arctic Mama, in our Sunday School curriculum, "Godly Play," we tell the children that Advent helps us prepare for the great Mystery of Christmas.

For us (Episcopalian), it is a sober time. We even use the penitential "spin" on the liturgy. This is because one doesn't "just walk into Mordor,' so to speak! lol The Mystery of the Incarnation is deep and profound. It's not just a Birthday Party, this Christmas. It is, but so much more.

Advent helps us focus and enter into the wonder, and still ourselves, and get ready. It is also a reminder of Jesus' promise to come again.

One can be totally trusting of Jesus, and not afraid to be with him, and yet be filled with dread, in a way, at the thought of him. "He's not a TAME lion," after all.

• Like 2

Yeah, that's almost completely foreign to me so this is very interesting. We are in between churches right now and visiting new ones but none do anything like that. We continue our normal bible studies, chronological exegesis in the sermon, and Sunday school topics year round except for the occasional cantata. I'd have to ask my husband but maybe some of his congregations did this when he was growing up.

Can't say it's something I'd seek out specifically, but at least I have more data now. I'm still a huge fan of candy countdown calendars ;)

Yeah, that's almost completely foreign to me so this is very interesting. We are in between churches right now and visiting new ones but none do anything like that. We continue our normal bible studies, chronological exegesis in the sermon, and Sunday school topics year round except for the occasional cantata. I'd have to ask my husband but maybe some of his congregations did this when he was growing up.

Can't say it's something I'd seek out specifically, but at least I have more data now. I'm still a huge fan of candy countdown calendars ;)

If you want to try something out (no conversion required), this is a program I'm doing this year (though program might be too big a word) called "Best Advent Ever".  You sign up, they send you emails each day with a reading, reflection, or short video.  It's free, you can check it out: http://dynamiccatholic.com/year-of-mercy/best-advent-ever/what-is-advent/?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRokvanLde%2FhmjTEU5z16ugoW6e3i4kz2EFye%2BLIHETpodcMScVhNa%2BTFAwTG5toziV8R7LMJc1o0toQWBbl

• Like 1

Arctic mom, I also want to say that humans have always told and retold (and embellished, lol) important stories. Those stories are often an attempt to pas down an identity. What it means to be in our family. What your grandparents sacrificed for. How our country was founded. How people fought for the principals we hold dear, etc.

In the Old Testament God reminds his people of who he is and what he has done. I am the God of Issacac and Jacob. I brought you out of slavery... God instituted feast days partly to remember and retell. I made promises. I kept them. I have a plan.

To me, the liturgical calendar is part of that process. It is a cycle of remembering the story that Christians believe is still unfolding, of retelling, of creating time and space to repent, to prepare, to reconnect to the story. Even in a single worship service, Anglicans will retell the stories that are fundamental to our faith - every single time.

That isn't all that a liturgical year is, but I thought it might describe part of it.

Edited by Danestress
  • Like 5

We read Jotham's Journey and the 2 follow up books for advent. It is a fun fictional account of a boy's journey, and he ends up at the stable where he is also reunited with his family. He encounters some friends along the way which you can read their story from their perspectives in subsequent years (Bartholomew and Tabitha). The readings are broken up for each night and it explains the significance of lighting the candles along the way. Each section of story has a brief biblical re-cap with bible verses to back up the lesson. We really enjoy it and have done all 3 books. We restart with Jotham this year. 

That makes sense - so kind of a study and worship supplement?

Not really a supplement - the fundamental teaching structure.

The church has for several thousand years set out an order for reading Scripture during worship.  The idea is that it sets out the basic teachings of Christianity in a logical way.  It also has a chronological element - it is as if we are following the Christian story through, each year.  So we have the season of Advent, waiting for Christ and feeling the need for him.  We have Christmas where we celebrate the Incarnation and what it means, we have the Epiphany, the showing forth to the Gentiles. we have Lent when we consider our need for his work on the Cross, when we follow him, in the readings, in his final days, and his entry into Jerusalem.  Then Holy Week when we consider the Passion, and then Easter, and so on.

It helps us see the logic of the teaching,  it makes sure we don't ignore the parts we re less drawn to or over-emphasis the parts we like.  It allows us to celebrate and pray and think together.  Besides the assigned readings, there will be homilies on them, and prayers teaching us how to live out these truths.  During each season, there will be particular music, prticulr colours, which help us experience it bodily as well as mentally.  We will perhaps process around our neighbourhood when we celebrate the entry into Jerusalem.  We will spend the night in prayer at an altar dressed as a garden on Maundy Thursday, remembering how Christ wnted his disciples to pry with him.

Advent is considered the beginning of the Christian year - waiting for the Incarnation.  The readings in my tradition, which is continuous with the ancient practice, are Romans 3:8 - which tells us what the law requires, and Matthew 2:, which tells us who Christ is prophesied to be, what he will do for us - these readings are meant to be understood together.  The collect, or prayer that goes with them, tells us what this is going to mean for us, and it will be further unpacked through the Advent season:

ALMIGHTY God, give us grace that we may cast away the works of darkness, and put upon us the armour of light, now in the time of this mortal life, in which thy Son Jesus Christ came to visit us in great humility; that in the last day, when he shall come again in his glorious Majesty, to judge both the quick and the dead, we may rise to the life immortal; through him who liveth and reigneth with thee and the Holy Spirit, now and ever. Amen.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Advent calendars IIRC are actually a Protestant invention, though they make sense in  Catholic setting too, so that is I assume why they have been adopted.  and Advent wreaths and candle lighting is also a very recent tradition.

This is what I always thought, as I mentioned in an earlier post. Perhaps younger Catholics don't realize it wasn't always a thing among Catholics. As I said, there was no countdown of any kind, with or without calendars, when I attended Catholic school in the 1960's. The only real acknowledgement of Advent was during mass on Sundays.