Menu

DH dislikes Three Major Holiday Flavors. He's missing Festive Flavors DNA.

unsinkable

Just remembered...he hates chocolate with fruit, too.

So no chocolate covered strawberries or chocolate raspberry brownies or banana chocolate milkshakes.

That man...

Hopefully he makes up for it with massages or something.  

I don't like fruit flavored chocolate (chocolate orange), but I do like chocolate covered fruit....or real fruit paired with chocolate (raspberries on a  chocolate cake).  

• Like 1

Just remembered...he hates chocolate with fruit, too.

So no chocolate covered strawberries or chocolate raspberry brownies or banana chocolate milkshakes.

That man...

I'm not sure why you're keeping him? :huh:

(Unless, of course, it's that you don't have to actually share any of the good stuff with him! ;) :laugh: )

• Like 6

Cranberry Rejection Confirmed

He had texted me earlier that he loved eggnog as a kid but hates it now. And I asked him...what about cranberry?

He texted me that he like cranberry as a kid but that "it went down Eggnog Road."

This is what happens when he's watching sports and I'm watching news.

• Like 6

I sympathize with him. I hate pumpkin. Not generally a fan of chocolate (I prefer salty to sweet). And I like eggnog, but only the good stuff - homemade and with plenty of good alcohol. "Eggnog flavored" is just gross.

I do like peppermint without the chocolate added, though.

• Like 1

Hopefully he makes up for it with massages or something.

I don't like fruit flavored chocolate (chocolate orange), but I do like chocolate covered fruit....or real fruit paired with chocolate (raspberries on a chocolate cake).

But...but what about Terry's Milk Chocolate Orange Balls?

They look like oranges! :lol:

DH puts raspberries on his raspberry sherbet.

• Like 1

I sympathize with him. I hate pumpkin. Not generally a fan of chocolate (I prefer salty to sweet). And I like eggnog, but only the good stuff - homemade and with plenty of good alcohol. "Eggnog flavored" is just gross.

I do like peppermint without the chocolate added, though.

I buy the refrigerated eggnog from the dairy case...

:leaving:

• Like 1

I'm not sure why you're keeping him? :huh:

(Unless, of course, it's that you don't have to actually share any of the good stuff with him! ;) :laugh: )

He's easy to make Christmas cookies for...he likes sugar cookies/cut outs and peanut butter kisses.

He gives me little pep talks: "now don't get crazy and make all kinds of cookies. Just stick with the basics, like cut outs and the peanut butter ones. People at work bring in trays with 10 different kinds and it's just too much. Stay with tried and true..."

Etc, etc...

:D

• Like 8

I have to say I'm with your husband on all of his dislikes including the chocolate covered fruit.

However I also dislike turkey and I do like sweet potatoes, but only if they are plain no brown sugar or marshmallows on them.

In fact there is not much that is eaten at Thanksgiving that I do like. It is my least favorite food holiday. I don't like turkey (I don't care what you say it's never juicy or flavorful no matter who cooks it or how), dressing/stuffing (it tastes like the after taste in your mouth after you vomit), green bean casserole (the abomination of cream of mushroom soup defiling green beans topped with crisp onions should never have been invented), cranberry sauce (hate cranberries), giblet gravy (I don't like any kind of gravy), pumpkin or sweet potato pie (I don't like pumpkin at all or sweet potato in pie form). Needless to say, Thanksgiving around here is not of the traditional variety.

• Like 4

Just read your signature....22 years.  Congratulations.

I would view it as more for me....assuming he doesn't object to your buying/baking the stuff you like. :)

My DH can take or leave chocolate.  It sounds like an undefendable position, but he always chooses a chocolate dessert at fancy dinners for work out and brings it home to me.   He does not understand my dislike of seafood, though.

• Like 3

I have to say I'm with your husband on all of his dislikes including the chocolate covered fruit.

However I also dislike turkey and I do like sweet potatoes, but only if they are plain no brown sugar or marshmallows on them.

In fact there is not much that is eaten at Thanksgiving that I do like. It is my least favorite food holiday. I don't like turkey (I don't care what you say it's never juicy or flavorful no matter who cooks it or how), dressing/stuffing (it tastes like the after taste in your mouth after you vomit), green bean casserole (the abomination of cream of mushroom soup defiling green beans topped with crisp onions should never have been invented), cranberry sauce (hate cranberries), giblet gravy (I don't like any kind of gravy), pumpkin or sweet potato pie (I don't like pumpkin at all or sweet potato in pie form). Needless to say, Thanksgiving around here is not of the traditional variety.

Oh, Chelli. Who. Hurt. You?

Or are you really Chandler from Friends? :D

There, there. Pat, pat, pat. In 2 weeks, your nightmare will be over for another year.

• Like 6

Oh, Chelli. Who. Hurt. You?

Or are you really Chandler from Friends? :D

There, there. Pat, pat, pat. In 2 weeks, your nightmare will be over for another year.

LOL! I've always been like this.

I just do not like those flavor combinations at all. Why someone decided that they all need to appear at one holiday meal is beyond me.

I'd much rather have a delicious juicy steak or some pork ribs or fried chicken or pretty much anything other than turkey and all the fixings.

• Like 1

Just read your signature....22 years. Congratulations.

I would view it as more for me....assuming he doesn't object to your buying/baking the stuff you like. :)

My DH can take or leave chocolate. It sounds like an undefendable position, but he always chooses a chocolate dessert at fancy dinners for work out and brings it home to me. He does not understand my dislike of seafood, though.

Thank you for the congrats...and the reminder. I've got to change that to 23 years. :lol:

He's fine with me making whatever.

I usually try to get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, and cook and bake what most of us like. It feels silly to make a pan of peppermint bark and I'm the only one who likes it.

Chocolate is pretty far down on my flavor favorites...unless it is something like orange chocolate or a chocolate cake with raspberry sauce.

• Like 1

I just do not like those flavor combinations at all. Why someone decided that they all need to appear at one holiday meal is beyond me.

I'd much rather have a delicious juicy steak or some pork ribs or fried chicken or pretty much anything other than turkey and all the fixings.

I think that's fine. I'm just teasing. "Who. Hurt. You?" is an expression my DS uses...it probably is funnier to hear it than to read it.

I'd eat fried chicken for Thanksgivng in a heartbeat!

• Like 1

Well, I love pumpkin but dislike eggnog and chocolate mint. One of our holiday flavors is anise. This is mil's fault--dh grew up with an annual tradition of making Merry Christmas Cookies but mil replaced the lemon extract with anise. They're really yummy and I didn't even used to like that flavor until the cookies.

I like cranberry too. I just ate a whole handful of craisins. A work friend got me hooked on those ages ago when he went "back home" to help with the cranberry harvest and brought back sandwich bags full of craisins. It was my first time trying them; this was before craisins were widely available in stores. And cranberry jelly--yum! Right now Publix has their special turkey sub with cranberry jelly. Ok, I need to get one of those quite soon. :drool:

• Like 1

Totally agree, except I kinda like turkey. My family's tradition includes typical Thanksgiving food on Thanksgiving and then steak and seafood the day after. I save all my appetite for the steak and seafood day!

• Like 1

He hates:

Pumpkin

Eggnog

Chocolate Peppermint

It's like a Trifecta of Rejection.

If we are talking about mixed in a latte, I don't like any of those flavors either, but if we are talking other things:

1. I like some pumpkin items.....pumpkin dump cake is really good.

2. Eggnog, eh, I can take it or leave it.

3. Ghirdelli squares......YUM!!!!!!

And honestly, I don't like chocolate and fruit together either.

• Like 1

Hmm.

I hate pumpkin pie and mincemeat pie.

I don't love turkey.  It's OK if it's not too dry.

I hate hate hate squash.  And most cooked veggies I consider to be a woeful abuse of the vegetable kingdom as a whole, except asparagus (not in season) and artichokes (not traditional for Thanksgiving.)  Corn is OK but out here it is regarded as a summer veggie. 

I don't like eggnog. 

However, I love all other desserts, and usually there is some appley thing available at Thanksgiving.  I absolutely adore stuffing, especially with gravy on it. I like hot buttered rum, which is totally not eggnogish, or hot spiced cider.  I adore mushrooms, and if I'm making veggies there is a mixed medley of wild mushrooms on the menu.  What could be more fall-friendly than that?

I'm not sure whether I pass, but I think I do.

• Like 1

I don't like turkey (I don't care what you say it's never juicy or flavorful no matter who cooks it or how), dressing/stuffing (it tastes like the after taste in your mouth after you vomit), green bean casserole (the abomination of cream of mushroom soup defiling green beans topped with crisp onions should never have been invented), cranberry sauce (hate cranberries), giblet gravy (I don't like any kind of gravy), pumpkin or sweet potato pie (I don't like pumpkin at all or sweet potato in pie form).

Maybe you just have Australian DNA...Turkey's not really huge here, stuffing is usually left on the side of the plate, I've never seen green bean casserole in my entire life, nor fresh cranberries, and pumpkin and sweet potatoes are vegetables and are roasted with salt and garlic. Well, that's in my house, anyway. I do like dried cranberries though, especially in biscuits (cookies) with white chocolate. 

One day I'll find an American friend who can make me sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows, just to try it. 

• Like 3

My DH doesn't like pumpkin flavor much. He isn't really a hater of any kind of food, but my favorite thing about Thanksgiving is that I can make Pumpkin Pie. He probably won't eat a piece.

(in case you are wondering, sure, I *could* make Pumpkin Pie at other times, but I don't make pies just for our family. I will eat it all.)

• Like 1

I'm with your hubby on some of that.

I don't like mint at all, really. One exception is York Peppermint Patties--except it's the texture of Crisco with peppermint flavoring, so still kinda a turn-off.

Pumpkin doesn't thrill,

Eggnog, however, is yummy. BUT, I have to get the lactose-free variety, so it's not the same. I don't like homemade with alcohol.

I don't like cinnamon much, and I could go without sweet potatoes the rest of my life. Cranberries (dried) are ok in salads, but cranberry jelly (the kind in the can) or relish is barfy and has an unacceptable texture. Oddly, it smells good.

Picky, picky, picky.

We are having turkey, meat stuffing, corn casserold (dh's family recipe--it looks like baby puke), salad with almonds and mandarin oranges, wild rice, mashies, gravy, and fresh green beans (or maybe asparagus--one of the few veggies I like).

Just traditional enough without going full-out.

• Like 2

Well, I love pumpkin but dislike eggnog and chocolate mint. One of our holiday flavors is anise. This is mil's fault--dh grew up with an annual tradition of making Merry Christmas Cookies but mil replaced the lemon extract with anise. They're really yummy and I didn't even used to like that flavor until the cookies.

I like cranberry too. I just ate a whole handful of craisins. A work friend got me hooked on those ages ago when he went "back home" to help with the cranberry harvest and brought back sandwich bags full of craisins. It was my first time trying them; this was before craisins were widely available in stores. And cranberry jelly--yum! Right now Publix has their special turkey sub with cranberry jelly. Ok, I need to get one of those quite soon. :drool:

About 1/3 of the sugar cookies/cut outs get Anise Icing, so it is an Approved Hoilday Flavor. The anise-icing is red, as a Warning to All who might not like it.

But DH will not eat the anise ones the day they are iced. He waits a day or 2 bc he says the flavor soaks into the cookies. OK. Fine by me.

I puffy-heart love cranberry. And Craisins. THOSE are truly Nature's Candy (I'm sorry, raisins.) I've never had cranberry jelly...sounds awesome!

• Like 1

If we are talking about mixed in a latte, I don't like any of those flavors either, but if we are talking other things:

1. I like some pumpkin items.....pumpkin dump cake is really good.

2. Eggnog, eh, I can take it or leave it.

3. Ghirdelli squares......YUM!!!!!!

And honestly, I don't like chocolate and fruit together either.

I love the Ghirardelli seasonal squares. I was disappointed one year when they dropped the pecan pie one. I think I even started a thread about it...

• Like 2

About dry turkey, that's what the gravy is for. Gravy goes over half the foods on a thanksgiving plate. If you don't have good gravy, you might as well have steak or fried chicken.

Does anyone still have mincemeat pie? It was a Thanksgiving staple in my childhood.

I made it when I was a kid for my dad bc he loved it. But no one else has ever asked for it.

I'm with your hubby on some of that.

I don't like mint at all, really. One exception is York Peppermint Patties--except it's the texture of Crisco with peppermint flavoring, so still kinda a turn-off.

Pumpkin doesn't thrill,

Eggnog, however, is yummy. BUT, I have to get the lactose-free variety, so it's not the same. I don't like homemade with alcohol.

I don't like cinnamon much, and I could go without sweet potatoes the rest of my life. Cranberries (dried) are ok in salads, but cranberry jelly (the kind in the can) or relish is barfy and has an unacceptable texture. Oddly, it smells good.

Picky, picky, picky.

We are having turkey, meat stuffing, corn casserold (dh's family recipe--it looks like baby puke), salad with almonds and mandarin oranges, wild rice, mashies, gravy, and fresh green beans (or maybe asparagus--one of the few veggies I like).

Just traditional enough without going full-out.

OMG...this reminds me that DS and I had a Vociferous Discussion about him erroneously calling York Peppermint Patties...Yorks.

I told him no one does that. And to stop. It's wrong, as in..."She passed out Yorks for Halloween."

Stop. Stopstopstopstop. But he didn't. "He said he had leftover candy and pulled a bag of Yorks from his briefcase."

:willy_nilly:

• Like 3

Give me pumpkin pie!

Give me eggnog to drink!

Give me chocolate peppermints!

But, for the love of food, DON'T give me garbage that's artificially flavored as any of the above!

I will take the real food and some of the fake flavors. But as I get older, I like the fake flavors less and less.

• Like 1