Menu

DH dislikes Three Major Holiday Flavors. He's missing Festive Flavors DNA.

unsinkable

Hmm.

I hate pumpkin pie and mincemeat pie.

I don't love turkey. It's OK if it's not too dry.

I hate hate hate squash. And most cooked veggies I consider to be a woeful abuse of the vegetable kingdom as a whole, except asparagus (not in season) and artichokes (not traditional for Thanksgiving.) Corn is OK but out here it is regarded as a summer veggie.

I don't like eggnog.

However, I love all other desserts, and usually there is some appley thing available at Thanksgiving. I absolutely adore stuffing, especially with gravy on it. I like hot buttered rum, which is totally not eggnogish, or hot spiced cider. I adore mushrooms, and if I'm making veggies there is a mixed medley of wild mushrooms on the menu. What could be more fall-friendly than that?

I'm not sure whether I pass, but I think I do.

Oh, cider. I love cider!

I've never had a hot buttered rum. Hmmmm...

• Like 2

I love the Ghirardelli seasonal squares. I was disappointed one year when they dropped the pecan pie one. I think I even started a thread about it...

We go to the outlet store every year for holiday gifts. If you go during the factory sale there's a line but it's kind of a blast because everyone is happy and they have carolers and hot cocoa. (In case you live in the SF area.)

OMG...this reminds me that DS and I had a Vociferous Discussion about him erroneously calling York Peppermint Patties...Yorks.

I told him no one does that. And to stop. It's wrong, as in..."She passed out Yorks for Halloween."

Stop. Stopstopstopstop. But he didn't. "He said he had leftover candy and pulled a bag of Yorks from his briefcase."

:willy_nilly:

At least he's not calling them "Yorkies." That sounds even worse if you substitute it into the above sentences.

• Like 1

pumpkin and sweet potatoes are vegetables and are roasted with salt and garlic.

Sweet potatoes are vegetables. Pumpkins are fruits, they have seeds.

But I bet the variety you grow isn't much good for pie anyway. You want a firm, not-very-watery pumpkin, a variety commonly called (wait for it) "pie pumpkin". Butternut squash is a good-enough substitute if you can't get the right kind of pumpkin, though honestly, I think most people just use the pureed stuff from the can.

I'll honest-to-goodness mail you a can of pureed pumpkin, or even prepared pie filling, if you promise to bake it and post your reaction. And yes, I know how exorbitant the cost is to ship from the US to Australia! Maybe we can get somebody else to send you a can of cranberry sauce, and some maple candy or syrup. I guess you probably don't have much of that either, sugar maples (like cranberries) being a New World plant.

But I won't send you the stuff for sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Blech. Sweet potatoes should not be covered with marshmallows, ever.

I'm allergic to cinnamon. This time of year, peppermint is about the only holiday flavor I can have! Well, that and spumoni, which Kroger thinks is a Christmas-specific ice cream flavor.

How unfortunate! I hear that in other English-speaking countries (and I guess non-English speaking countries...?) cinnamon isn't really a thing, and they don't get why Americans love it so much. It's a pity you can't spend the winter somewhere else, then.

• Like 2

Maybe you just have Australian DNA...Turkey's not really huge here, stuffing is usually left on the side of the plate, I've never seen green bean casserole in my entire life, nor fresh cranberries, and pumpkin and sweet potatoes are vegetables and are roasted with salt and garlic. Well, that's in my house, anyway. I do like dried cranberries though, especially in biscuits (cookies) with white chocolate. 

One day I'll find an American friend who can make me sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows, just to try it. 

Roasted sweet potatoes with garlic? This might make it to my Thanksgiving day table this year. I am hosting for the first time ever. I have never ever liked sweet potatoes but they have always been done with brown sugar in my family. 

But I love garlic. Do I make what others expect or try something new?

As for the OP, pumpkin is gross. Eggnog is delicious. And chocolate and fruit are often good together (but not always. Why in the world would anyone ever defile chocolate with bananas?)

• Like 1

Roasted sweet potatoes with garlic? This might make it to my Thanksgiving day table this year. I am hosting for the first time ever. I have never ever liked sweet potatoes but they have always been done with brown sugar in my family.

But I love garlic. Do I make what others expect or try something new?

As for the OP, pumpkin is gross. Eggnog is delicious. And chocolate and fruit are often good together (but not always. Why in the world would anyone ever defile chocolate with bananas?)

Barnwife, I'm sorry...I ran out of likes! Consider this liked!

Banana splits? With chocolate syrup (along with other toppings, of course!) Banana chocolate milkshakes? I guess I am a chocolate defiler.

I don't enjoy chocolate chips in banana bread, though. I don't really like chocolate chips in mos things, except in some cookies.

But I bet the variety you grow isn't much good for pie anyway. You want a firm, not-very-watery pumpkin, a variety commonly called (wait for it) "pie pumpkin". Butternut squash is a good-enough substitute if you can't get the right kind of pumpkin, though honestly, I think most people just use the pureed stuff from the can.

You know, I have seen the 'pie pumpkin' in the store just this year - I think they got them in as marketing for Halloween. Which of course I scoffed at, because we don't really do halloween here as much. Now that I know I can use that for pumpkin pie, I will try one! We definitely can get butternut pumpkins here too.

I'll accept your challenge and make the pumpkin pie though! Thanks for the offer for sending it - but it will be cheaper to source it here. A quick check on google tells me there are a few online stores here I can get it from. Do I buy the Libby's pureed pumpkin? Or does any brand work? And I need a great recipe...who has a great recipe?

I'm pretty certain we can get cranberry sauce in a jar at the local store, and I have an excellent source for canadian maple syrup as I adore that stuff - I have a few bottles in my fridge.

• Like 1

Do I buy the Libby's pureed pumpkin? Or does any brand work? And I need a great recipe...who has a great recipe?

Libby's is the ubiquitous brand where I am, and they usually print the recipe on the back of the label. I mostly use theirs! If you can't get pumpkin pie spice, you can make your own. I would add a little bit of clove to that recipe, maybe a teaspoon, and perhaps some mace if you can get it.

Oh - right, you might not use cup measurements. Oh dear, I'm not sure how to convert to weight measurements if necessary.

• Like 2