Menu

Do you use the helping verb shall in conversation?

Shall  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use shall in conversation?

• I never do.
    • I rarely or occasionally do.
    • Shall is a regular part of my vocabulary.
    • Other or All Hail, SKL, the Queen of Shall!

Mostly only when I say "Shall we go to the park?" for example.

I don't say "We shall go to the park at 1pm" or "...And then I shall take you to the park." To me, and my American English, it sounds strange, probably because we tend to just stick with "will."

And for the same reason, "I'll" or "we'll" means "I will" and "we will" in my head, rather than "I shall" or "We shall."

Here's a good article with some comparison on the two: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/shall-versus-will

• Like 4

When we are playing house and reenacting the olden prairie times, yep.

I started it when I was a little girl in my make pretend bonnet and aprons*, and it stuck.

But officially, no. Although my husband occasionally says, "We shall see," which the rest of us is starting to say too.

*I was obsessed with Little House in the Prairie...

• Like 2

Mostly only when I say "Shall we go to the park?" for example.

I don't say "We shall go to the park at 1pm" or "...And then I shall take you to the park." To me, and my American English, it sounds strange, probably because we tend to just stick with "will."

And for the same reason, "I'll" or "we'll" means "I will" and "we will" in my head, rather than "I shall" or "We shall."

Here's a good article with some comparison on the two: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/shall-versus-will

Great article. I think "May I take your coat?" rather than shall I sounds more casual and is correct too?

Nope. I never encountered it outside of classic literature, never heard anyone use it in conversation, and don't really know when and why it should be used. To my ear, it is a British anachronism and therefore is not part of my modern American English vernacular.

• Like 1

I don't know how else to phrase sentences that usually begin with, "Shall we....."

I didn't get the memo about this word becoming obsolete, but I have noted that most people seem to prefer a very limited vocabulary these days. People are out to annoy the literate.

It never occures to me to use shall we. I just say let's, which I think is a request, but maybe it's techically a command though. I have never heard anyone use shall in conversation except my English MIL. It's just so foreign to me.

This has been an interesting discussion.

• Like 1

Shan't and shall give you the great quote from the original Parent Trap.  Susan, trying her best to use Sharon's Boston accent, says (complete with a few mistakes when she shifts back to her California accent), "I shan't tell my aunt about the ants nor the debutantes. Shall I?"  A line that makes no sense, but is, nonetheless hilarious in the movie.

• Like 6

I don't know how else to phrase sentences that usually begin with, "Shall we....."

I didn't get the memo about this word becoming obsolete, but I have noted that most people seem to prefer a very limited vocabulary these days. People are out to annoy the literate.

This reminds me of John Branyan's Old English version of the Three Little Pigs. He said in those days the children had a larger vocabulary than most adults today.

• Like 10

I will bet none of those kids knew the words bling, cool (as we know it), psych, freaky, computer, science, etc. Our vocabulary is also rich in different ways.

We don't say I shall, but some of us say "imma" or "I'm gonna" or "I'm fixing to" which you don't read in a lot of old texts.

• Like 1

Yes, I do.  But it is properly only to be used in the 1st person.  In the 2nd or 3rd person it is more proper to use "will".  However, sometimes I also use it in the 2nd/3rd person, just to be rebellious.  Cuz I'm bad that way.  (LOL)

Really? I think you might be incorrect here. There is a well known Catholic hymn that uses You shall... several times throughout the song.  Also, the 10 commandments - you know, Thou shalt not...

• Like 1

Really? I think you might be incorrect here. There is a well known Catholic hymn that uses You shall... several times throughout the song. Also, the 10 commandments - you know, Thou shalt not...

Our grammar book says it's first person too. I shall and we shall are correct, but you shall or they shall are not. If I'm understanding right, it should be you will or they will. I'm no expert by any means though!

I think most people would say, "Should we....",  but "Shall we...." sounds so much more pleasant!

• Like 1

In my circle we say, "Hey, you wanna....." haha

• Like 5

Really? I think you might be incorrect here. There is a well known Catholic hymn that uses You shall... several times throughout the song. Also, the 10 commandments - you know, Thou shalt not...

I wondered about this too, but I've seen the first person rule from multiple sources. After I googled for awhile (hehe, another word unknown to the children of bygone eras) I found that when Kjv was written the word "will" meant to desire something to be done. Therefore the Latin word for the future was rendered shall. The first person vs third person distinction came later.

• Like 1

I will bet none of those kids knew the words bling, cool (as we know it), psych, freaky, computer, science, etc. Our vocabulary is also rich in different ways.

We don't say I shall, but some of us say "imma" or "I'm gonna" or "I'm fixing to" which you don't read in a lot of old texts.

Right, but the point was in the number of words used. The figure I believe he gives is people had a spoken vocabulary of 54,000 words, compared to a vocabulary of 3,000 words used today. It may also be because we tend to speak more succinctly, in contrast to the verbose, roundabout way they spoke in days of old.

• Like 4

I regularly use shan't.  I inherited that language trait from my mother.

ETA: Another inherited-from-mom trait:  Oughtn't

I say "shan't" when I'm pretending to be Mary Poppins, and want my girls to pick up a bit faster. "If you do not pick up the pace and have this play room spit-spot, pip-pip, cheerio, then we shaaaahn't go to the paaahk this aaaahfternoon."

I do occasionally use shall, shan't, ought, and oughtn't in genuinely serious and proper ways.

I also like to throw in some Floridian verb usages from time to time. My favorite is "might could." As in, "Waaaaaall, we might could take a picnic along with us if you'd like." I just love "might could." I had a friend in college (from FL) who said this all the time, and I liked it so much, it stuck.

• Like 3

As much as I would adore to use the word shall, it's completely off my radar. I never hear anyone using it now and never have heard anyone use it, so I honestly didn't think people used it anymore. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that they do. I need to research the correct usage of the word so I can start using it, too.

I shall begin my research today.

• Like 3

You shall not pass!!

It wouldn't sound the same any other way.

I use shall quite often, but there is still a lot of British influence in our dialect here.

Ah!  There's one of those second person exceptions.  It is meant to be stronger or more forceful so shall is used instead even though it is not first person.

• Like 1