Menu

If you had the opportunity to let your kids attend a lecture/workshop/whatever by a CPS field agent, would you?

luuknam

Imagine a CPS field agent talking about child abuse/neglect and about being a CPS agent  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you let your kids attend?

• No, we don't go listen to any guest speakers
    • No, because it's CPS
    • Yes, for all ages
    • Yes, for elementary age only
    • Yes, for middle/high school age only
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to pay (to cover e.g. the cost of the location and possibly cost of speaker)? (per kid, adults free?)

• We wouldn't go for any price
    • We'd only go if it's free
    • Less than $5
    • Less than $10
    • More than $10

So, my neighbor is a senior CPS field agent, and my school district listed "child abuse" under the items they want taught, so then when I started to think about how to teach that, I thought "maybe I should just have my kid interview my neighbor", and then I thought "maybe other people would want to listen to a guest lecture/workshop/q&a session, or whatever with a CPS field agent too". But, I don't know if that idea is just plain crazy or not, since I know a lot of people are pretty scared of CPS and wouldn't willingly let their kids anywhere near a CPS worker.

I haven't asked my neighbor yet, I haven't asked people in my local area yet, but I'm curious to see whether it's even worth it to try to organize something like that.

ETA: let's say the cost is per kid (adults free).

ETA2: I know the school district can't make me teach child abuse, it was just listed with all the other things NYS does require so it somehow slipped into the IHIP anyway, so now I have to teach child abuse this year.

Why would I be scared of a CPS officer who is doing what is essentially a public service type of presentation along with a bit of career day mixed in?  It's not like he's going to investigate every family who attends.  

That said, covering child abuse in school is usually a couple minute thing where they tell you to tell a trusted adult if someone is hurting you.  Along with some mention of Safe Touch type principles.  

• Like 14

Why would I be scared of a CPS officer who is doing what is essentially a public service type of presentation along with a bit of career day mixed in?  It's not like he's going to investigate every family who attends.  

That said, covering child abuse in school is usually a couple minute thing where they tell you to tell a trusted adult if someone is hurting you.  Along with some mention of Safe Touch type principles.  

To the former: I think some people are a little paranoid wrt CPS. To the latter, well, yes, but I have a CPS neighbor, so I could potentially make it more interesting than that. I realize I could just do what you described.

I'm not sure what the CPS person can convey regarding this topic better than I can.

I mean, if it's directed toward adults as, say, "Here's what abuse signs might look like and here's what happens when you place a hotline call," that could be interesting, I guess. (Though I wouldn't pay for it.)

But if it's directed toward kids as a "How to protect yourself" or "What to do if someone is abusing you," I think that's covered in my home pretty well already. Maybe the Hive has book or website suggestions if additional resources would be helpful.

• Like 5

I'm not sure what the CPS person can convey regarding this topic better than I can.

I mean, if it's directed toward adults as, say, "Here's what abuse signs might look like and here's what happens when you place a hotline call," that could be interesting, I guess. (Though I wouldn't pay for it.)

But if it's directed toward kids as a "How to protect yourself" or "What to do if someone is abusing you," I think that's covered in my home pretty well already. Maybe the Hive has book or website suggestions if additional resources would be helpful.

This.  I probably wouldn't go to something like that unless it was free and particularly convenient simply because I'm busy and I can cover it so simply and adequately at home.  It would have absolutely nothing to do with fear of CPS

• Like 7

This.  I probably wouldn't go to something like that unless it was free and particularly convenient simply because I'm busy and I can cover it so simply and adequately at home.  It would have absolutely nothing to do with fear of CPS

I agree.

I think it would be a nice public service type opportunity for the CPS worker (or CPS office) to provide, but I don't think I'd pay for the opportunity to take my kids to a short CPS presentation.  We cover it well at home, and we're not afraid of CPS.  We're an approved foster home, and we've had CPS workers in and out of our lives over the years for our training, and for foster kids.  So fear of CPS wouldn't factor in at all.  

So, my neighbor is a senior CPS field agent, and my school district listed "child abuse" under the items they want taught, so then when I started to think about how to teach that, I thought "maybe I should just have my kid interview my neighbor", and then I thought "maybe other people would want to listen to a guest lecture/workshop/q&a session, or whatever with a CPS field agent too". But, I don't know if that idea is just plain crazy or not, since I know a lot of people are pretty scared of CPS and wouldn't willingly let their kids anywhere near a CPS worker.

I haven't asked my neighbor yet, I haven't asked people in my local area yet, but I'm curious to see whether it's even worth it to try to organize something like that.

ETA: let's say the cost is per kid (adults free).

ETA2: I know the school district can't make me teach child abuse, it was just listed with all the other things NYS does require so it somehow slipped into the IHIP anyway, so now I have to teach child abuse this year.

I am a NY state homeschooler and I have never, ever taught 'child abuse'.  I don't even remember seeing it in the IHIP paperwork.  I do know there is the whole thing on health and personal safety and fire prevention etc.  We include the same sentence every year, something like "Name of child will learn about the importance of good hygiene and the connection between good nutrition and good health. We will also discuss fire and personal safety on a regular basis as it relates to real life situations"

We have said that every year for something like 8 years for both kids.

And what is this lecture? Is it directed towards children? They might not be welcome. My guess is that it is for child care providers. I have given those classes myself and they are to meed the continuing ed requirements for in home day care providers about mandated reporter requirements. They are pretty much dedicated to the ins and outs of mandated reporting, not about personal safety.

eta: I see now. You want the CPS worker to do a presentation about child abuse for your kids.  Ok, well, CPS workers are not educators. Just because someone is a CPS investigator doesn't mean they are qualified to give educational presentations about personal safety.  It also doesn't mean he or she is not. Your best bet might be to ask the CPS worker who does such things in the community because that is often the pervue of a different group or agency. I have done it and we were a private not for profit that worked with CPS but we didn't work for CPS.  We were a domestic violence and sexual assault crisis agency. We also did presentations in schools about dating violence, domestic violence etc and to police and hospital workers and employers. We also trained day care providers about mandated reporter requirements etc.

• Like 4

Your kids are pretty young, so I don't think they need a big presentation from CPS.  I think we used Boy Scout materials, which were given to us when my son joined, to cover this for both kids.  Mostly it's a thing we have talked about periodically as they've been growing up.

I'm not afraid of CPS but I probably wouldn't go. 

• Like 3

I wouldn't have an issue with it being a CPS field worker, but I don't see any benefit in having a CPS worker teach the topic to an elementary schooler. They see some pretty horrible things - I don't think their expertise is really in teaching kids "good touch, bad touch" type stuff. 

It would make more sense to have a nurse friend come to teach about things like proper handwashing and sneezing into your sleeve, but I probably wouldn't bother with that either. 

Also, I think both of those topics (safe touch, health/hygiene) are better taught through ongoing conversations that can serve to promote later conversation about things that are much more difficult to talk about in the middle school and high school years (and beyond)

• Like 4

I am a NY state homeschooler and I have never, ever taught 'child abuse'. I don't even remember seeing it in the IHIP paperwork. I do know there is the whole thing on health and personal safety and fire prevention etc. We include the same sentence every year, something like "Name of child will learn about the importance of good hygiene and the connection between good nutrition and good health. We will also discuss fire and personal safety on a regular basis as it relates to real life situations"

We have said that every year for something like 8 years for both kids.

And what is this lecture? Is it directed towards children? They might not be welcome. My guess is that it is for child care providers. I have given those classes myself and they are to meed the continuing ed requirements for in home day care providers about mandated reporter requirements. They are pretty much dedicated to the ins and outs of mandated reporting, not about personal safety.

eta: I see now. You want the CPS worker to do a presentation about child abuse for your kids. Ok, well, CPS workers are not educators. Just because someone is a CPS investigator doesn't mean they are qualified to give educational presentations about personal safety. It also doesn't mean he or she is not. Your best bet might be to ask the CPS worker who does such things in the community because that is often the pervue of a different group or agency. I have done it and we were a private not for profit that worked with CPS but we didn't work for CPS. We were a domestic violence and sexual assault crisis agency. We also did presentations in schools about dating violence, domestic violence etc and to police and hospital workers and employers. We also trained day care providers about mandated reporter requirements etc.

Yes, where in the regulations are you seeing a requirement to cover child abuse?

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/part100/pages/10010.html

I've never heard that mentioned in all my years HSing in NYS!

• Like 1

I voted "No, because it's CPS" but I think this could be misconstrued. It's not, "No, because it's [yikes! Evil!] CPS!" It's more like, "No, because it's [not a priority for me to spend time and money on a workshop by] CPS."

Invite the neighbor over for dinner and have good conversation while you break bread together. Count the material taught.

• Like 3

Are you saying you'd ask the CPS person to develop a program aimed at kids to talk about child abuse?  Or include kids in some presentation that they already do?

I don't picture CPS workers talking on a kid-friendly level about child abuse, but maybe they do that?

I think I would rather control the messages my kids receive about child abuse.  I have talked to them about it many times, as they have grown more mature.  I'm not sure what a CPS person could add to what I can tell them myself.

• Like 1

I think it could be interesting for a high schooler.  I think it's always a good idea for older kids to learn about career opportunities, and about what people at different jobs do even if they're not interested in that job.   It could also to make them aware of a serious social issue, and how they can help/support families and children (in a community service sort of way... for example, to learn about safe houses, where mothers and children often end up with only the clothes on their backs, and such safe houses usually need to discretely raise clothes, toys, toiletries, diapers, etc).  And, maybe, if the social worker was trained on these issues, realistic and practical ways that they can deal and/or help if they suspect that a friend is in an abusive relationship (either with an authority figure, or with a peer).

But I don't think that kids the ages of your kids would get much out of it.  I agree with the person above who says that teaching about child abuse in elementary means telling kids to find a trusted adult if they're being hurt (and here you cover physical, emotional, and sexual abuse in age-appropriate ways), that it's not their fault and nobody will be mad, etc.

• Like 3

I think kids benefit from learning about all kinds of work in the community, so I would take mine to a short presentation by a CPS worker just as I do wildlife rescue people, firefighters, postal workers, etc.

I think that it makes sense for it to be free.

Echoing what others are saying. It just wouldn't be something I saw as necessary or interesting enough. That said, I think since this is your neighbor, having your kids interview her (him?) seems like a nice way to check that off and accomplish other good things too, like interview skills and getting to know neighbors better and learning about careers.

• Like 5

Echoing what others are saying. It just wouldn't be something I saw as necessary or interesting enough. That said, I think since this is your neighbor, having your kids interview her (him?) seems like a nice way to check that off and accomplish other good things too, like interview skills and getting to know neighbors better and learning about careers.

I agree... I would probably do something like this.  I'd consider it social studies/"community helpers" instead of health and safety, though.

I can't vote, because none of the options feel right to me.

I don't have kids homeschooling anymore, but, basically, I don't think we'd bother to go because such an event just wouldn't be of interest. It's not because I am "afraid" of CPS, but if I had kids young enough to need instruction about child abuse, I would want to be extremely careful about what material was presented to them and exactly how it was presented. Both of mine were pretty sensitive, and my gut reaction is that I would much prefer to handle this topic at home in a way that I knew would be accessible and palatable for them.

If I had a chance to look at a detailed description of the content for the presentation, I might be open to changing my mind, but I honestly cannot imagine what it would have to say to make me think this would be a good idea for my kids.

• Like 3

I would go if free, assuming it was required in some manner.  However, we've just used boy scout material.  I did it with my girl, too.  I just elaborated a bit and covered what I thought was needed for my first graders.  I probably should have done this sooner, but I also showed them how to call their grandparents and aunt (their trusted adults) and told them they could do so at any time for any reason.  It all took maybe thirty minutes, including the kids drawing their hand and writing adult names, and I would absolutely feel comfortable saying I taught them about "child abuse". 

ETA - I agree with Farrar above!  An interview would be a great assignment. 

I think kids benefit from learning about all kinds of work in the community, so I would take mine to a short presentation by a CPS worker just as I do wildlife rescue people, firefighters, postal workers, etc.

Yes, I was seeing it along the same lines. I've seen people mention field trips to e.g. the police station. Sort of a combination social studies/community helpers/child abuse.

And I probably should have thought out answer options more thoroughly, rather than post this and run off to swim & gym and OT and speech. Just brainstorming, anyhow.

• Like 1

I am a NY state homeschooler and I have never, ever taught 'child abuse'.  I don't even remember seeing it in the IHIP paperwork.  I do know there is the whole thing on health and personal safety and fire prevention etc.  We include the same sentence every year, something like "Name of child will learn about the importance of good hygiene and the connection between good nutrition and good health. We will also discuss fire and personal safety on a regular basis as it relates to real life situations"

After submitting the letter of intent, the school district mailed us some forms we could use to submit the IHIP. On those forms, they threw in the words "child abuse" along with the health and fire safety and stuff like that. I didn't use the forms they sent me, but since it was like no big deal, I put child abuse on the IHIP because they put it on there and I don't know... I was pretty sure it wasn't required, but I didn't want to bother looking up if the info online on what is mandatory was out of date or something. If they'd said "and you need to teach Spanish", I would've looked it up. So, anyway, I have to teach child abuse since I did put it on the IHIP. Some other people in my area (there are from what I hear multiple districts in my area that put "child abuse" in their lists) also put it on their IHIPs. That said, it could be covered in 5 minutes at home. W/e. It was just a random thought.

First of all, I am going to say that you are teaching about "child abuse prevention" or "personal safety".  I think that sounds much clearer than "I have to teach child abuse." That opens itself up to a lot of interpretation.

And you are correct that they can't make you do it..but I am guessing you put it on your IHIP this year? Another FYI, you still don't have to do it. It can be addressed by saying something like "Instead of addressing child abuse we decided to do a unit on fire prevention".  Just because something is in the IHIP doesn't mean it is written in stone. You are allowed to change and amend at any time and address it in your quarterly reports. You just have to give a reason, and it doesn't say it has to be a good reason.

It sounds like it is something you want to address and that is fine, but I think it is important that every NY homeschooler know the ins and outs of the homeschool regs because I can promise you the districts sure don't. If, for some reason, you don't get to it or change your mind, you are not going to get into trouble.  And, FWIW, I have yet to hear of someone's IHIP actually used as a check off list with their quarterly reports. There have been entire resources that I said I would use in my IHIP that never got mentioned in my quarterlies.  It was never mentioned by the district oversight person. They just don't have the people to do stuff like that. I reuse my IHIPS and quarterly reports for my kids and it has never been an issue. I know lots of people who do the same.

And I am still not seeing it in the regulations as something required by the state:

This is the closest I can find:

"Education Law, sections 801, 804, 806 and 808, also require the following subjects to be covered during grades kindergarten through 12:

1. patriotism and citizenship;
  2. health education regarding alcohol, drug and tobacco misuse;
  3. highway safety and traffic regulations, including bicycle safety; and
  4. fire and arson prevention and safety."

If child abuse prevention is on your district's paperwork as a state requirement it does not belong there. I can't find it in the state requirements.

So, if you want to address it in your own homeschool that is great! And if you want to organize some sort of public educational event that is great as well. I think you should talk to the CPS worker first and see if that is something he or she is even interested in or allowed to do. The ones I used to work with tried to keep a super low profile, often not working in the county where they resided, to maintain some confidentiality for the kids and families they worked with. And also to give their own kids some space. It's uncomfortable to a kid to be interviewed about very personal issues by the parent of a classmate.

• Like 3

I didn't answer the poll.

I wouldn't go, because I can't imagine what someone would have to say that would be interesting enough to engage me or my children. 

CPS gets involved when families aren't working.  I don't think I would take my young children to hear about that. 

• Like 1

This. Not sure how typical this attitude is, but my SIL and a good friend of hers are both CPS workers. Their attitude is very jaded because of the things they see. I can't imagine either of them talking, especially to kids, in a way that would be any better than what I talk with them about.

I answered, sure, if it's free. I'm assuming it's like the cop talk or the nurse talk. I mean cops and nurses aren't looking at the best of humanity all day either! But they usually can manage to make it nice. If the kids wanted to go, I'd let them, sure.

Here are some links that might be useful: http://investigatingthelandscape.blogspot.com.au/2015/05/domestic-violence-links.html

There isn't a chance in Hades I'd take mine to such an event and I wouldn't like to be involved in a group event on the topic of abuse in any case. Who is going to react well if someone confesses something? What kind of damage can be done in kids' lives if they learn in this presentation that they are a victim of or witness to abuse. Who is going to fix that? Nobody. What if the topics are kept nice? Will that teach that only the very worst is real abuse?

• Like 1

If my kids were the age of yours listed in your sig, absolutely not.

And the fact that the school district wants it taught is another reason I'd probably avoid it.  I've never looked at my school district's preferences, or my state's SOLs.  Their standards are a big reason why my kids aren't in school.

• Like 1