Menu

Jarred spaghetti sauce with no chunks?

Kristie in Florida

I am familiar with this situation.  I buy Hunt's sauce in a can.  There are various size cans, including tiny ones if there's only one person in the family who prefers to eat this.

I like to add spices to taste (garlic, oregano) and sometimes a pinch of sugar to counter the acidity, when I microwave that person's portion of sauce, though I'm not sure they'd miss it.

• Like 1

I can't handle chunks.  I have never found a jarred spaghetti sauce I can tolerate.  Chunks are evil.  Sometimes I'll use tomato sauce and add some spices.  Other times I use a blender to puree jarred spaghetti sauce.  It just requires a quick rinse if you do it immediately.

I also puree jarred pizza sauce.  I'm not kidding when I say I can't handle chunks.

• Like 1

I second Hunts or Ragu Traditional.  

I add herbs to the Hunts, as it's more "tomato sauce" designed as an ingredient rather than fully-flavored spaghetti sauce.  If I had to pick one for grab-and-go convenience, it would be the Ragu.  With the Ragu, you can put aside some for your picky eater, then add veggies and/or browned ground beef for those who like heartier fare.  (I saute the veggies and the ground beef first, then add the sauce to the pan.)

I take a 16 oz can of tomato sauce (like Publix brand, or Hunts, or whatever), and I add 1 heaping tablespoon of oregano, a teaspoon of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of onion flakes (the dried stuff) a pinch or two of salt and pepper, and a small pinch of sugar.  I sometimes add more oregano or garlic.  It takes about 10 minutes of simmering for the spices to blend with the sauce.

I take a 16 oz can of tomato sauce (like Publix brand, or Hunts, or whatever), and I add 1 heaping tablespoon of oregano, a teaspoon of garlic powder, 2 teaspoons of onion flakes (the dried stuff) a pinch or two of salt and pepper, and a small pinch of sugar. I sometimes add more oregano or garlic. It takes about 10 minutes of simmering for the spices to blend with the sauce.

So if I was cooking frozen meatballs in that would it need to simmer before I add the meatballs or can it all simmer together?

I won't have an immersion blender till my mother in law gets me one for Christmas.

Do you have a regular blender? Just run your favorite through it before heating. After heating, it's dangerous and the immersion blender is far easier. Before heating, it's just a matter of which you want to wash. (And I blend up hot water and soap to clean the blender, then rinse.)

Mezzetti's marinara (San Marzano tomatoes) or tomato basil (Napa Valley tomatoes). It has no added sugar, no chunks, and no unnatural ingredients/additives. It costs a bit more, but tastes sooooo much better than most jarred sauces. I use these for pizza sauce too. If she's super, super picky tho? The runniest, smoothest sauce I ever bought was the Hunt's pasta sauce in a can.

Another vote for Ragu Traditional Old World Style. I switched to it a few years ago due to a picky DS who doesn't want chunks of any kind. I actually just pour it straight from the jar onto hot spaghetti. It couldn't be easier!

Sometimes I'll simmer meatballs in it for the rest of us, and that works well too. I just take some out for DS before adding the meat.