Menu

Is there a reason why baby toys are unnecessarily loud?

mamiof5

Or is it just me? I can't stand baby toys! Once I put a couple layers of making tape over the speaker I am fine. We have this toy right now, a ball popping thing...can't cover the speaker...would throw it out the window if I could!! But baby loves it! Why do they have to make this toys obnoxiously loud? I'd think there's a hazard too...do they want my baby to go deaf? Ugh!! Just can't stand the noise level. Is it just me, or does anyone around here also find baby toys unnecessarily loud?

• Like 2

Agree with probably all the reasons above :) I am beginning to think toy makers just want to drive parents insane. So glad to hear I am not the only one bothered by it. I am super sensitive to noise, I can't even stand the lowest volume in some of those. Oh! And there's one that the baby pushes around and balls pop (like a popcorn maker type of thing?)... years ago my mom got us some of those, I threw them out every time! After the 3rd-4th time she finally stopped buying it, she realized I was dead serious... that toy wasn't coming in my house!

• Like 1

Well, I need to have a reason to say "I don't buy toys with batteries" to my kids, and that's it.

Our oldest is 5. I have bought one toy in those five years that had batteries. In my defense, I paid a quarter for it at a garage sale. And I didn't realize said toy made noise/needed a battery when I bought it.

When my children receive gifts that use batteries, they generally end up in the "to be donated" pile very quickly. My sister once gave us a ball popper toy that her kids no longer played with. I couldn't stand the music/noise and it was so loud. Though the kids love it, I got rid of it after only a few weeks. Over a year later, she gave us another ball that she'd found for it. I decided not to tell it was long gone and just donated the ball too.

• Like 1

Everything is too loud for me. :( There are two local theaters. They both got insanely loud recently, but then one of the theaters turned the volume back to a reasonable level. I do NOT understand the soaring volume of the theater that's still loud. I wear earplugs to see movies there and can still hear the movie perfectly well without straining at all. That's insane! I shouldn't be able to hear it so clearly with earplugs in.

And music. I went to an amusement park the other day and a band came out to play and it was just deafening unless you were a good football field away from them. Why?

And churches, too. We have a home church where the music is usually pretty normal, but we visit a church about once a month where the music is ridiculously loud. Why?

And those baby toys. I used to think it was insane. Here you have a person with zero hearing loss and you're going to give them a toy made for old men who went to Kiss concerts every weekend in their twenties. (Well, maybe they're not old men, but still...)

I find loud noises to be close to painful and I worry about hearing loss. It makes me angry when I'm subjected to loud noises in the public arena and can't control it. We used to take out the batteries in those toys as well, or just get rid of the toy entirely.

• Like 4

I have found that some toys will work with one less battery but will no longer make noise. For example, the game lucky ducks will still spin on one less battery but not longet make that incessant quacking.

Ooh, I am going to try that today. That Lucky Ducks game is one of the most hated items in my house- unfortunately, dd got it when she was 2 and LOVED anything ducky. She still loves it, and finds new ways to use it. We even put numbers on the bottom and practiced math facts. And we glued magnets on the duck heads so dd could fish for them with a little magnetic fishing pole.

The second I think she might not miss it I am donating it. The baby is nearly 6 months and I do not want him to decide he loves it too!

• Like 1

My family learned early on that noisy toys would not come to my house -- they would stay at Grandma's for when we came to visit.  I assumed that whoever bought the monstrosities would want to see/hear the kids enjoy them, right?  :)

We received very few noisy toys after the first Christmas.

• Like 3

Don't buy electronic toys. My daughter's only noise making toy is Violet. And she sings and dances and interacts with it so I put up with it. She had a toy cell phone with a bunch of buttons, but it got lost (really, I didn't throw it away.) :) Otherwise she has blocks and stackers and shape sorters and wooden puzzles. She has dolls and stuffed animals and balls and a decent collection of books (none of which have buttons or lights or anything but words and pictures in them.) Many of her toys are wooden or cloth. I make wish lists of toys I want her to have and my family is pretty good about shopping from the list. My MIL is the one who got her Violet and the cell phone. I'm not sure what I would do if my family didn't care what kind of toys I wanted her to have.

Lol!! Noise pollution!! Had totally forgotten about that term. Yes, TV, toys, and most music for me...just noise!!! Love classical music, peaceful, Christian music...oh, and Christmas music has to be my favorite! The rest has kind of become just that, noise pollution :)

• Like 1

Once, when I had only one child, we lived with my mother, and DH took the car to work so I was stuck in a small house alone all day with a sweet but clingy baby, I may have come very close to being "that crazy mom on the news" due to noisy toys. I went on a mild rampage and bashed all the noisy toys into the walll, toy chest, or floor. :cursing:  The baby was not traumatized by this- she was napping. - she was actually terrified of the sudden loud noises and cried at almost all of her toys. There was a "Bananas in Pajamas" that she still remembers with horror.

It took a few years for the Grannie who thought that the loudest lightiest movingest toys were the best to get the hint... we eventually had to flat out tell her NO MORE and we would not keep or use any of them.

The rare toy they actually liked (as they got older- think Bop It) had to have the speakers taped over to muffle the sound.