Menu

Bloooooood Moooooooooon!

unsinkable

So much fun! It stayed clear and we could actually walk right out the door to see it. We got out the telescope as well. Dd5 was thrilled and apparently American Girl Dolls aspire to be astronomers. I have cute pictures of dd and Grace peering through the telescope, and a video of her explaining to her doll exactly what was happening, and what apogee and perigee meant:)

• Like 4

We watched it here - very cool. We were contemplating what a lunar eclipse would look like from the perspective if you were standing on the moon. Any ideas?

In other news, as the world hasn't ended yet, I guess I'll continue studying for my college algebra test which will apparently still be happening tomorrow!

• Like 2

Just carried B inside (he fell asleep at 11:30 or so, right after C went inside). We were hanging out extra long to see light appear again on the moon. Moon was I guess vaguely brown-ish... not very spectacular. Did have some good family time (singing songs in Dutch, practicing Dutch words for sun, moon, earth, stars, CLOUDS, etc). I wonder if anyone heard me and wondered if I was doing some sort of witchcraft with those weird-sounding Dutch children's songs during a blood moon, lol.

We watched it here - very cool. We were contemplating what a lunar eclipse would look like from the perspective if you were standing on the moon. Any ideas?

In other news, as the world hasn't ended yet, I guess I'll continue studying for my college algebra test which will apparently still be happening tomorrow!

I think it would be like a solar eclipse here.... the Earth would move in front of the sun and it would get dark.

I think we coined the phrase Terran Eclipse.... (oe Earthly Eclipse?) that would be if you were on the moon and the moon went in between the sun and the Earth.... it would never be total but we figure you would see the shadow of the moon travel over the Earth...

Edited to fix wrong word....

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We had cloud cover for the first part and for the last half of the return to normal. But, DD got to see it "red" and the return to crescent. What was especially frustrating though was that the only clouds in the sky were on the moonside of our house, the other was perfectly clear and had a great view of the stars. Whatever, she was bouncing around and fighting being tired too much to enjoy it anyway.

Stefanie

No, no, here is an explanation of lunar eclipses, solar eclipses, and apocalypses in emoji:

https://twitter.com/astrokatie/status/518697246305439745

Tonight was a lunar eclipse. :)

I keep speaking too soon in this thread. So, I went to bed at 1:30am (which is waaaaay after my normal bedtime), only to realize right after lying down that I have a dental appointment today at 8:45am. And, last time we agreed that my wisdom tooth will be pulled this time. So, I guess maybe apocalypse after all. At least it's the end times for my wisdom (tooth).

Today is going to be sooooo much fun... sleep deprived, going to be in pain, and kids are likely going to wake up sleep deprived too because they never sleep in long enough after staying up late. I'm foreseeing educational movies in the nearby future.