Menu

Indulge my flights of fancy a moment - would you consider retirement in Vermont?

Ginevra

Let's say "snowbirding" is an option for part of the winter. So, living in VT from March-ish through the holidays, then (possibly, but not necessarily) leaving for warmer living until March-ish again. I saw Vermont on a list of best places to retire to (by several measures) and it appeals to me. The past few times I have been to VT, I have thought about how much I like the nature, the geography, the healthy lifestyle orientation.

The coldest part of the winter could be too much of a stretch, but I am NOT a person who wants to move to FL and range from warm to Unbearable and back to war. I like seasons and fall foliage and I wouldn't want it to never snow, although I know VT snow is no trifling matter.

What do you know about Vermont? Would you consider it?

• Like 1

I might, but I only know about it from the movie White Christmas!  It looks lovely!

We're actually in a similar situation.  That is, we live in a nice, very snowy state already, but as long as we can take off for 2-3 months in the winters, I really do love the seasons.

• Like 1

I know people who have retired to Maine and northern Michigan.  Literal snowbirds if you ask me (or is that snowed-in birds?)  These are folks who love cross country skiing, ice fishing, ice skating.  Active folks. Some escape to warmer climes for two weeks or maybe two months.  But in general these are people who are not bothered by winter and embrace it at least partially.

Would I retire to Vermont?  I don't think so.  But I could see retiring to Cape Cod because of the friends and family that I have there.

• Like 4

No. I have spent tons of time there and it does nothing for me ( no offense to anyone who lives there or loves it)

Have you thought about Colorado? Some parts gets tons of snow and some parts get significantly less.

I love many things about Colorado, but no, it's too far from where I am now. Most of the country is a No for this reason. It is one of my favorite states for a visit, though.

I love it here and we are planning on staying! We moved here in 2002 and are very happy here. Do you have any specific questions I can answer?

I was thinking about you when I posed the question, wondering if you would see it. :) do you mind disclosing your general region? I was considering taking a trip to Burlington or Montpelier, looking at it with eyes towards how it would be to live there.

• Like 1

Not at all - we're just outside of Montpelier, in Middlesex. I love our location - I am less than 5 minutes from the highway and can be in Burlington in about 30 minutes or so, but we prefer to live in central Vermont. We lived in Burlington for almost a year when we first moved here, but it was kind of a pain to be honest. Anything walking distance to town was quite expensive and to drive in and find parking was also annoying. And the lake is vicious in the winter - there's no cold like the wind whipping off of lake Champlain in the winter. I think I can still feel it. 

Southern Vermont has the worst weather (in my opinion). It gets the hottest and most humid in the summer and it's not much better than the rest of the state in the winter. Northeast VT is gorgeous, but it's more remote and we weren't up for being that far from bigger towns. Chittenden county is a bit pricier than central VT and I'd stay away from the Rutland area personally - they have a big drug problem there.

The snow here isn't too bad because the road crews are good about dealing with it. Of course I can say that now, from the safety and warmth of August, but they are decent about getting storms cleaned up quickly. The months you're thinking about not being in cold weather are good ones to be gone - by the end of February, the length of winter starts getting to you, and it's not over. We're not outdoor winter sports people though - the people that ski and snowboard love it! 

• Like 4

Vermont is the most wonderful place on earth, so yes I'd live there in any season of life. And plan to, asap :-)

Yay! I need more homeschool buddies locally!!

And I must remember these posts in early April when it's still snowing and all my FB friends in other parts of the country are posting pretty spring pictures!

• Like 2

We would never consider retiring any further north than we live now (Southern PA) as we like a shorter winter and I'm not fond of living in the mountains that are in other parts of our state.  Even then we get away if we can during the winter to escape part of it.

However, MANY folks we've met in both FL and the Bahamas who were staying for a month or more came from the very northern states and Canada.  We actually met so many Canadians that I wondered if anyone of retirement age stayed in Canada for the winter.   :lol:

If the state and the mountains appeal to you, there's no reason it couldn't work.  It ought to be nice in the summer months - esp compared to MD.

In my ideal world I'd want a place in the south for Jan - March, here in PA from March - June and Sept - Dec, then in Nova Scotia for July & August.  But that's not likely to ever actually happen.  We're likely to stay here and just escape for a month or so in the winter most years (not this one due to finances).

• Like 1

My dh grew up in VT and he'd say no way. He grew to hate the long winters. We now live in GA and he says he'd take the heat over the endless months of snow. :p

We liked it in northern KY. It snowed several times a year and the summers were not quite as hot as here in GA.

Our former neighbor here in GA was a "snowbird"--of the sort you mentioned. She lived here for 6 months of summer then moved down to FL for 6 months of winter. I don't know how many years she did that but about 4 years ago she finally decided just to stay put down in FL year-round. :laugh:

• Like 1

Not Vermont, but yes to a colder climate.  We plan to retire to Wyoming.  My husband and I have spent our entire lives in the Deep South, and we are OVER the heat and humidity and traffic.  We crave a change of climate and population; the entire state of Wyoming has fewer people than just my county in metro Atlanta.  We will probably keep a small home somewhere near our kids, if they're anywhere close to each other, but we are counting the years until we can take Horace Greeley's advice.

Having lived in Vermont for a summer back in college--Montepelier, to be specific, I'm pretty sure Vermont is not for me, but I could see how it could appeal to plenty of people.  I am curious, though, as to what about Vermont got it onto the list of best places to retire?  I would have bought the taxes alone would keep it off of such a list.  Wyoming has no income tax, by the way.  :)

• Like 2

Not Vermont, but yes to a colder climate.  We plan to retire to Wyoming.  My husband and I have spent our entire lives in the Deep South, and we are OVER the heat and humidity and traffic.  We crave a change of climate and population; the entire state of Wyoming has fewer people than just my county in metro Atlanta.  We will probably keep a small home somewhere near our kids, if they're anywhere close to each other, but we are counting the years until we can take Horace Greeley's advice.

Having lived in Vermont for a summer back in college--Montepelier, to be specific, I'm pretty sure Vermont is not for me, but I could see how it could appeal to plenty of people.  I am curious, though, as to what about Vermont got it onto the list of best places to retire?  I would have bought the taxes alone would keep it off of such a list.  Wyoming has no income tax, by the way.   :)

NH has neither income nor sales tax.

• Like 3

We'd like to retire in ME, NH, or VT. I grew up on the NH/VT border. We would look at either the Burlington area or somewhere near/across the river from Dartmouth. There are lots of beautiful towns in Vt but I would need to be near a city, cultural activities, a decent hospital and/or a major highway.

• Like 4

Not Vermont, but yes to a colder climate.  We plan to retire to Wyoming.  

I've only spent a few days in Vermont and wouldn't move there for the same reason that the OP won't move to CO, it is just too far from where we are, family, etc. However, dh and I are considering CO or WY. We'd like to move to a colder climate. We like cold and hate heat. We also love mountains. 

So for all those same reasons, if I lived on the east coast, I would consider Vermont. It is beautiful and I can see it being a wonderful place to retire, whether you were able to snow bird or not.

• Like 2

Not Vermont, but yes to a colder climate. We plan to retire to Wyoming. My husband and I have spent our entire lives in the Deep South, and we are OVER the heat and humidity and traffic. We crave a change of climate and population; the entire state of Wyoming has fewer people than just my county in metro Atlanta. We will probably keep a small home somewhere near our kids, if they're anywhere close to each other, but we are counting the years until we can take Horace Greeley's advice.

Having lived in Vermont for a summer back in college--Montepelier, to be specific, I'm pretty sure Vermont is not for me, but I could see how it could appeal to plenty of people. I am curious, though, as to what about Vermont got it onto the list of best places to retire? I would have bought the taxes alone would keep it off of such a list. Wyoming has no income tax, by the way. :)

The particular list was from a book about traveling and RVing in retirement. This author had his own combination of policies that made it on his list, including healthy lifestyle, outdoor activities, small town(s), asset protection and - for real, marijuana laws! Now, I don't give a care about smokin' MJ, so that is not a factor for me, but I agree with many of those other features.

Wyoming is on his list, too, BTW. I would love WY, but it has the same "problem" as CO; it's too far from my roots.

• Like 2

I would, but it's only 15 minutes away. However, having lived year round in Florida I would not consider snowbirding - it's too crowded and Florida just stinks.

I wouldn't necessarily snowbird to FL, though I like some theme park action from time to time. I really dislike FL weather most of the time. I was talking snowbirding to a warmer location, which could be in an RV, and could be any of the places I would like to visit, but not live in.

• Like 1

Yay! I need more homeschool buddies locally!!

And I must remember these posts in early April when it's still snowing and all my FB friends in other parts of the country are posting pretty spring pictures!

When we have been to VT for skiing/snowboarding, it has been in March or April when our kids are on Spring Break. You should hear the comments I get about traveling to where it is colder and buried in snow when we are finally getting a break from winter in Maryland! People think that's bat-doody insane. I don't mind it, though because:

1) it is not so frigid on the mountain that skiing is unbearable,

2) it is less crowded,

3) the rentals are off-peak rates and quite reasonable

4) the maple sugaring is happening and I think that's awesome

5) the mountains are so beautiful

So, while most of my friends are heading to FL or The Carribean for spring break, we are driving eight hours north. :D some people find that very strange.

• Like 5

Guest BlessedLY

I was born and raised in northern Vermont, in Chittenden County. I have relatives just across the lake (Lake Champlain). Most of, my relatives live on the Canadian boarder in Vermont. My dh and I moved south specifically to get out of the cold. It's tough and expensive to keep a house heated. I miss cross-country skiing on sunny afternoons in the middle of winter. I miss snowmobiling for long afternoons. I miss sliding down long hills and making massive snow tunnels. Well, at least I'd like to see my kids do it. They tell me the lake is too polluted to swim in. Vermont is the laughing stock and embarrassing since they were the first in the area to make same-sex marriage legal. The slogan of native Vermonters is, "Take Vermont back". I promise it wasn't like that when I was young. I was born and raised near Burlington. Between the time when I was around 10-15 years old a lot of outsiders came in and spent big money buying businesses. The atmosphere changed and a real liberal atmosphere took hold. I think it'd be a nice place to visit but not but not to live there.

Welcome, brand new poster.

Take Vermont back was a (failed) political slogan.

And see the bolded. Vermont is the most wonderful place on earth. :laugh:

Wow. I'd forgotten about that...

Maybe the PP could just watch "Freedom and Unity"[1] or read a quick summary[2] to get a better view of the liberal, populist strand of Vermont's psyche that runs from settlement through today.

[1]  http://www.thevermontmovie.com/

[2]  http://wildermemoriallibrary.org/thevtmovie/

• Like 1

I was born and raised in northern Vermont, in Chittenden County. I have relatives just across the lake (Lake Champlain). Most of, my relatives live on the Canadian boarder in Vermont. My dh and I moved south specifically to get out of the cold. It's tough and expensive to keep a house heated. I miss cross-country skiing on sunny afternoons in the middle of winter. I miss snowmobiling for long afternoons. I miss sliding down long hills and making massive snow tunnels. Well, at least I'd like to see my kids do it. They tell me the lake is too polluted to swim in. Vermont is the laughing stock and embarrassing since they were the first in the area to make same-sex marriage legal. The slogan of native Vermonters is, "Take Vermont back". I promise it wasn't like that when I was young. I was born and raised near Burlington. Between the time when I was around 10-15 years old a lot of outsiders came in and spent big money buying businesses. The atmosphere changed and a real liberal atmosphere took hold. I think it'd be a nice place to visit but not but not to live there.

We don't consider Vermont to be a laughingstock.  We cheered with they were the first to give LGBTQ people equal rights.

With that attitude we're just as glad you moved away.

• Like 3

I love Vermont. I would very happily live there during retirement. I'm with you on not going the Florida route. Dh is not a fan of seasons though, having grown up in FL and all. My grandfather had a sweet little cabin on a massive mountain in Vermont that we'd vacation to year-round. I think as long as you know how to drive in snow and aren't so remote that they don't plow your side road than you should have a great time. It's a beautiful place with a very relaxed and homey feel. I think it'd be the perfect environment for a retirement :)

• Like 2

I lived for a while as a child in VT and grew up near the border. I still go back when I go home. If we want to go somewhere fun we go to Burlington or Montreal.  Now, if you really want the scoop you need my mom, lol. She knows the place well.  Vermont is the one place that could tempt us from where we are now.  Every time we go there DH says "Should I check job listings at UVM?"  It is a very nice place.

• Like 2

Interesting side note. I just remembered a boy who graduated last year from ds2's school was accepted to UVM. Dh and I wondered if they had family up there or what the deal was as this boy had applied to only GA colleges and UVM. We ran into his mom a couple weeks ago and finally got to ask. She said that UVM was free to apply via the Common App so he did just to see what would happen. Well, not only did he get accepted, they offered him huge scholarships. She mentioned how colleges look for geographic diversity even within the USA, so they think that's partly why he was given an attractive offer. I'm sure it helped that he was valedictorian too.

• Like 2

I love VT. The terrain is similar to my childhood mountains in NC. I identify with the whole "I'm from Vermont, I do what I want!" sensibility. I can imagine living in Burlington, Montpelier, or Brattleboro. Brattleboro might just be due to many square meals in a round bowl at the old Common Ground before too many beers at McNeill's Pub and Brewery across the street. Another thing I liked about various VT Dawn Dances and other active events was that you had a mix of folks from 16-86... So you could have bearded hippie 20yo VT man with an optional broomstick skirt and a 80yo whitehaired woman with a waist length pony tail and identical skirt dancing in the same contra dance. The whole live and let live aesthetic is fabulous.

That said... I wouldn't move to Vermont. DW has been actively recruited by both Dartmouth and UVM. She has family in the area. I just need somewhere slightly more urban. I feel like I can get the same natural beauty in a larger small town... something like Duluth, MN or Bellingham, WA. For me, that size city and ~2hr proximity to a 1M+ city is important. If you are more comfortable with small towns, VT could be great.

• Like 2

I am with you! My family has been there since before Vermont was Vermont, and I have extended family there. I absolutely love it and when we retire Vermont will be a big part of the picture. We will want to spend (most of) winter and mud season somewhere else. Colorado or California, probably. Now I want a maple creemee!

My family lives out in the middle of nowhere, about half an hour from Waterbury, and so we are more likely to land up there (but not all the way to the Northeast Kingdom), but I think we could happily live further south too. Vermont has an embarrassment of riches, really.

I think the very best thing to do for anyone who is thinking about moving (and who has the luxury of time), is to spend some time in short term rentals. Live, shop for groceries, go to meetings, meet locals. My son once observed that he always feels like moving to wherever we vacation, but he really wants to move to carefree-non-stop-fun-land!

• Like 2

The thing with the snow in VT (and upstate NY) is that at least they know what to do with it and how to drive in it.  The snow isn't the problem. If it gets bad you stay home for an afternoon and no one blames you. The problem is the cold. I live with it and every year I swear it is my last. Of course it isn't going to happen because I am a NE girl through and through but it gets Really Cold. If I could leave for January and February that would be sufficient. Not a true snowbird (They seem to leave November to April) just and extended vacation,  kwim?

If you are truly interested then get an online subscription to a local paper. If I had my way, it would be Burlington all the way. But, I did live there a few years at a tender age and visit often, so I have an affection. Where I grew up, if you needed anything from a city, you went to Burlington. Be it a prom gown or a medial specialist that was where you got sent.

• Like 2

When we have been to VT for skiing/snowboarding, it has been in March or April when our kids are on Spring Break. You should hear the comments I get about traveling to where it is colder and buried in snow when we are finally getting a break from winter in Maryland! People think that's bat-doody insane. I don't mind it, though because:

1) it is not so frigid on the mountain that skiing is unbearable,

2) it is less crowded,

3) the rentals are off-peak rates and quite reasonable

4) the maple sugaring is happening and I think that's awesome

5) the mountains are so beautiful

So, while most of my friends are heading to FL or The Carribean for spring break, we are driving eight hours north. :D some people find that very strange.

Because it's NUTSO!!!

My parents bought a condo on one of the lakes in NH back in the late '90's thinking they would retire there and sell their home in MA. After they reached retirement age they decided that northern New England had too long of a winter (even if it's only a couple weeks different from MA on either end, it winds up being a whole month longer of winter total) and sold it.

I don't think I will want to shovel snow in retirement. Actually I don't think I can afford to retire as in not working. I am already too lazy to sweep the porch now - so no, not Vermont. I'd go for some nice coastal area where the wind blows and salmon comes ashore daily...but no snow. :laugh:

Not Vermont, but maybe NH.   The taxes are better in NH.   I also understand that NH is a pretty independent minded state... perhaps Vermont is this way too... perhaps anything away from the DC metro nanny state that seems to have become MD is that way.  I don't have much comparison.  I just know I'm getting as weary of that part of living in MD as I am the heat and humidity.

However, as much as I want to get out of MD too, I don't know that I'd move that far north.   Like is mentioned, I don't like the heat and humidity but longer and much colder winters would probably wear on me too.   But, that's me and it seems like that's not an issue to you. 

Good luck

• Like 1

My sister and her husband have a cabin up there, propane lights, woodstove and an outhouse, it is one of my favorite places to visit.  When it gets too cold to wash your hair in the stream though, it feels more rustic thank I like. 

Pretty much the only place we go for food and drink is an amazing place called Parker Pie.  Best evenings ever.

• Like 1

My sister and her husband have a cabin up there, propane lights, woodstove and an outhouse, it is one of my favorite places to visit.  When it gets too cold to wash your hair in the stream though, it feels more rustic thank I like. 

Pretty much the only place we go for food and drink is an amazing place called Parker Pie.  Best evenings ever.

The majority of VT does have electricity and indoor plumbing - I promise I'm not typing this from my yurt!  :laugh:

• Like 5

Not Vermont, but maybe NH.   The taxes are better in NH.   I also understand that NH is a pretty independent minded state... perhaps Vermont is this way too... perhaps anything away from the DC metro nanny state that seems to have become MD is that way.  I don't have much comparison.  I just know I'm getting as weary of that part of living in MD as I am the heat and humidity.

However, as much as I want to get out of MD too, I don't know that I'd move that far north.   Like is mentioned, I don't like the heat and humidity but longer and much colder winters would probably wear on me too.   But, that's me and it seems like that's not an issue to you. 

Good luck

I live pretty close to Vermont.  We have the heat and humidity here too.  Winters are frigid and bitterly cold.  Summers are HUMID and can get hot.  There is very little in between weather here.  Fall is nice, but it's short.  Spring is even shorter and not always that nice. 

I think people assume up north means less humidity and heat.  That's just not the case. 

• Like 2

I live pretty close to Vermont. We have the heat and humidity here too. Winters are frigid and bitterly cold. Summers are HUMID and can get hot. There is very little in between weather here. Fall is nice, but it's short. Spring is even shorter and not always that nice.

I think people assume up north means less humidity and heat. That's just not the case.

Awwww, Georgia summers think Vermont summers are just precious. Like little baby summers with your sweet little humidity. To Georgia's machine-gun-totin', gangster bad-ass summers.

Your worst summer weekend in decades? That is us from May through mid-October. I spent a summer in Montpelier that included a week-long record-setting heat wave. Records were being set all up and down the East Coast. Vermonters kept coming up to me and asking if it ever got this hot (low 90s) in Alabama. It was 106 in Alabama that week. "Low 90s" is fall to us.

I'll concede winters, but summers? No way.

• Like 8

Awwww, Georgia summers think Vermont summers are just precious. Like little baby summers with your sweet little humidity. To Georgia's machine-gun-totin', gangster bad-ass summers.

Your worst summer weekend in decades? That is us from May through mid-October. I spent a summer in Montpelier that included a week-long record-setting heat wave. Records were being set all up and down the East Coast. Vermonters kept coming up to me and asking if it ever got this hot (low 90s) in Alabama. It was 106 in Alabama that week. "Low 90s" is fall to us.

I'll concede winters, but summers? No way.

temps may get hotter in Georgia, but the humidity makes it miserable here either way

• Like 1