Menu

Hutterites ...

Luanne

I've visited with them some. I went to a funeral at one colony and spent a night at a former colony (they still function almost exactly the same way). I think that I've got a pretty good idea of how they operate.

• Like 1

Does anyone live near any of their colonies?  Has anyone had any interactions with them?  Is anyone related to one?

There are many colonies around here.  In a 50 mile radius of me, there are at least 6 colonies.  One colony has land adjacent to ours, so we are, in a sense, neighbours.  We have frequent interactions with them.  I have one very good friend on one of the colonies, and another friend on a different colony.   My dh's mother was a kindergarten teacher at one of the colonies' schools for 20 years.  We still run into people who knew her or were her students. We get butchered chickens from one colony, and another one participates in the local farmer's market that, until recently, I was part of running.  One colony does very good metal work and we've had them make parts for equipment for us on occasion.  They're pretty much the only place to go to get stuff like that for older equipment. 

Was there something specific about them you wanted to know?

I picked up a book at the library called On the Backroad to Heaven.  It's about Hutterites, Amish, Mennonites, and Brethren.  I have been trying to find my place in this world and feel very drawn to the Hutterite way of life.  I dress similarly to them already and believe basically the same way they do.  I was just curious if anyone knew how accepting they would be of an outsider joining one of their colonies.  I haven't made a final decision yet (obviously).  I just need to find a purpose to my life and there just isn't anyone like them anywhere near where I live.  There is a Mennonite church in the city I live in, but they are very liberal.

There was a Hutterite "reality" TV show on a few years ago. It seemes like a very secluded way to live and it seemed like they were all related in some way. But that's what I got from the show...and I'm sure there isn't much "reality" to it.

What draws you that way? Have you tried different church communities that might not include changing your whole way of living? Just a thought. There are a few denominations that are not as liberal that I could suggest to you if you are interested. :)

Good luck with your journey.

I picked up a book at the library called On the Backroad to Heaven.  It's about Hutterites, Amish, Mennonites, and Brethren.  I have been trying to find my place in this world and feel very drawn to the Hutterite way of life.  I dress similarly to them already and believe basically the same way they do.  I was just curious if anyone knew how accepting they would be of an outsider joining one of their colonies.  I haven't made a final decision yet (obviously).  I just need to find a purpose to my life and there just isn't anyone like them anywhere near where I live.  There is a Mennonite church in the city I live in, but they are very liberal.

Well, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but one doesn't just join a colony and become a Hutterite.  It isn't that simple.  Hutterites are not evangelical.  They're not recruiting.  They are purposefully closed societies.  They mostly eschew involvement with the outside world with some exceptions for engaging in their surrounding communities.  It is pretty rare to be engaged intimately with Hutterites. Even the two friends I mentioned above are not allowed to come off the colony to my home.  I only get to visit with them at the farmer's market or if I'm there to bring something business/farm related. 

As I understand it, the only ways to be Hutterite are you are born Hutterite or in very, very rare exceptions, you may marry Hutterite and convert.  Also, they speak Low German and services and colony interactions are in Low German.  They learn English in school (at least, here they do), but amongst themselves only Low German is spoken.

I, too, admire the Hutterites a lot.  They are a great example of social communism in its purest and most benevolent sense. As it was explained to me:  all who can work, do so for the betterment of all who can and all who cannot. Another thing that is said often is: "We may not have all we want, but we know we will always have all we need."  This is in response to the criticism of their choice not to engage in technology, media and other "worldly" things.  Now, some colonies are far more liberal than others, but most I know of are fairly removed and insular from the larger world. 

All that said... while their lifestyle looks good in parts and maybe, to some, even in whole, they are not, generally speaking, accepting new members.  Of course, you could find a colony and see what they think about your joining them.  You never know.

• Like 9

You may want to check out the "liberal" Mennonite church anyway. I grew up in a strongly Mennonite area, and even the most liberal Mennonite churches often had conservative members, and there are strong family ties between conservative and "liberal" Mennonites (quotes used because "liberal" in the Mennonite world is often quite conservative by most standards). It is not unheard of to join a Mennonite church from another denomination or from being previously unchurched, and moving to being more conservative as a Mennonite wouldn't be unheard of either. But you just don't jump from being "English" to being old order Mennonite. i've also heard of Mennonites marrying into and being baptized Amish, but again, going from being English to Amish would be unheard of where I grew up.

• Like 2

It is extremely difficult to "become" Hutterite, harder than Amish and conservative Mennonite, honestly.

I don't think you'll fit in with their type of Christianity either. They aren't Evangelical, and I don't think your understanding of Christianity will fit well with theirs 

My Mennonite friend and her husband "do mission work" as they call it, when they visit the colony. I don't know exactly what they do, but they're pretty convinced that Hutterites aren't "born again" or had a "regenerative experience."

Also, they don't have private property. You'd have to divest yourself of about everything you own to join a colony.

When my friend left at the age of 20, they gave her $25.00, which was all the money she had in the world.

I once told Ruth, "I don't think I could ever be Hutterite," and she looked at me steadily. "I don't think anyone who hasn't grown up Hutterite can manage it happily."

It seems an idyll... but it's not necessarily so.

You might be interested in reading about "The Nine" A group of mission-minded Evangelical Christians who left different colonies. 

http://www.thenine9.com/

• Like 5

Agreeing with Ipsey. They will also disappoint many that look up to them in that some of their traditions and what they allow don't match up very often with what is valued by those looking in. Independent mindedness is NOT valued. The teens are sometimes allowed activities that shock even certain conservative Mennonites. Your children are more community than they are YOUR children. Etc. 

That all said...there are intentional communities popping up around the country from various faiths. I know the Orthodox have at least a couple. Old Believers have them also. I've heard of some evangelical people investing in intentional communities. Beliefs and rules vary.

• Like 1

http://www.hutterites.org/day-to-day/faqs/

Can a non-Hutterite join a Hutterite colony

A question that is often asked is whether or not an outsider can join a Hutterite colony.
It has happened that outsiders or non-Hutterites join a Hutterite colony, but it is quite rare.  Few Hutterite colony are open to outsider joining, but there are a handful who would consider it, depending on the candidate and the willingness of the candidate to adopt to the Hutterian norms.
Over the yearĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s many people have attempted to become full members of the Hutterite community, but havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been successful for a variety of reasons.  For one, Hutterites speak Hutterisch which is a Carinthian-Tirolean dialect. This language change is a boundary for many. For another, all Hutterite use the same German sermons, and although most have been translated to English, almost all Hutterite ministers preach in German.

Cultural boundaries and traditions also provide an obstacle for anyone attempting to join.  Changes in attire, ways of doing things, and other traditions would have to be adopted.

Another issue, divorce, could be a roadblock because Hutterites donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t accept divorce among their members, nor would they allow a divorcee who has married another person to join. If a divorcee were to join, that person would not be allowed to marry anyone except their original marriage partner. Of course, marriage is defined as the holy union between one man and one woman.

Finally, most who are not used to the lifestyle would find that giving up their own free will, their careers, and their personal property, and other freedoms too great to overcome.

So can a person join? Yes. If a person is really sincere about becoming a Hutterite, he or she could potentially join if he or she is willing to overcome the obstacles above. Of course, one would first have to live on a Hutterite Colony for a time to ensure that they really do want to join. A serious candidate would obviously have to fully support and agree with the doctrine of the Hutterian Brethren Church and be willing to give up all personal ownership and a lot of free will. After a period of successful probation, the person could ask from baptism, and upon being baptised, he or she would be considered a full-fledged Hutterite.

• Like 4

I have a friend whose SIL grew up Hutterite and left a colony in Montana and is now a corporate big wig in the Bay Area. She considers them a cult and has written a couple of well received Christian fiction novels about the effects of leaving a cult. Since she is an award winning author I shouldn't put her name out there, because I don't think her Hutterite background is known, but she is glad she is gone.

• Like 1

I would check out the Mennonite or the Quaker congregations in your area.  It's not what you might expect, but it may be what you are looking for.  

The liberalness of some Mennonite groups will work in your favor- they are more likely to be accepting of someone who has been divorced or a woman who has held jobs.   For two examples.  

• Like 2

Might sound funny, but something Patty Joanna said to me in an email tonight just came to mind.  Have you ever considered monasticism (becoming a nun)?  I know you'd have to change your way of approaching the Christian faith, but that's what you're talking about anyway, or I wouldn't mention it.  I have a daughter considering monasticism right now and in Orthodoxy the lifestyle is very simple and plain -- and hardworking.  But focused on God, the state of one's soul, and prayer for the world.  I don't think I have it in me (if I were single without small children in the home), but I know others do. There's also Roman Catholic monasticism, too, but I can't speak to that.  I do believe their sisters can live/work in the world, while in Orthodoxy, monastics by and large live at their monasteries and do not go out and about in the world. 

• Like 2

In order to become a Catholic nun, one would of course need to be Catholic but also seen as single in the eyes of the church. Never married women and widows are single. Any marriage that ended in divorce however would need to be formally annulled within the Catholic Church. This is an time consuming process. When my mother converted to Catholicism, she needed an annulment to marry my father. It took over a year. And that was for a marriage which she was coerced into and last a few weeks so very clearly eligible for anullment since she didn't enter it freely.

• Like 3

I've had interactions with those that have left.

Same. I know two sisters who left. They left together with their children. They lived together while one went to school during the day and the other at night, taking turns watching all the kids. They were very happy to leave. One has remarried. Both seem very happy.

• Like 1

In order to become a Catholic nun, one would of course need to be Catholic but also seen as single in the eyes of the church. Never married women and widows are single. Any marriage that ended in divorce however would need to be formally annulled within the Catholic Church. This is an time consuming process. When my mother converted to Catholicism, she needed an annulment to marry my father. It took over a year. And that was for a marriage which she was coerced into and last a few weeks so very clearly eligible for anullment since she didn't enter it freely.

Thanks for that clarification! I hadn't realized that and appreciate the note. I know there are Orthodox monastics who were formerly married (and actually some -- rare -- couples who have gone into Orthodox monasticism maybe later in life, post-child-raising; he to the men's monastery, she to the women's), so I guess it's a bit different. 

• Like 2

Thanks for that clarification! I hadn't realized that and appreciate the note. I know there are Orthodox monastics who were formerly married (and actually some -- rare -- couples who have gone into Orthodox monasticism maybe later in life, post-child-raising; he to the men's monastery, she to the women's), so I guess it's a bit different. 

Orthodox monasteries (male or female) are different from Catholic monasteries in a number of ways.  And even within Orthodoxy, different monasteries have different "rules" for who may and may not enter.  Some do not accept any who have ever been married; others welcome late-in-life widows or widowers.  The Orthodox do not have different "charisms" as do the Catholics.  

Also, re: a preceding post:  it is entirely possible to do fulltime volunteerism, as LucyStoner suggested (I know, I should have multi-quoted--I'm pulling the granny-card alluded to in another thread (LOL)), but that option is not as accommodating of a spiritual intention in making the next move.  It's not a bad option--no criticism there--just pointing out the difference in intention.  

I would check out the Mennonite or the Quaker congregations in your area. It's not what you might expect, but it may be what you are looking for.

Just to clarify - Quaker is probably not what one would be looking for in this case. There is little similarity to Mennonite and they would be far closer to the common understanding of "liberal". Says one very happy-to-be Quaker mama. :)

• Like 8

Luanne, if you would like to message me, I would be happy to share what I know of different Anabaptist groups. Some are open to others joining and some are not so open. Some are very good people and some are cultish (and I don't use that word lightly. I have personal experience within certain groups and have relatives and friends that are part of various groups).

• Like 2

Twice married (divorced and remarried to a different person) would not work though. Something would have to change, but people would be willing to help, and work through it with her.

It is my (very layperson) understanding that no marriage is recognized but the first? The OP has been divorced three times. I can't see that not being a sticking point in the very conservative anabaptist groups I know a little about. Hutterites are a male led group. An unattached older woman without a connection to the colony? Where would she fit? All of the women her age would be married or maybe widows and living with their sons or brothers. Also, I'm not sure that Luanne is in a position or the sort of person who would be able to leave her mother and adult daughter behind in the outside world or that her daughter and mother would be interested in joining.

There's a reason they aren't evangelical or widely open to new members.

• Like 6

It is my (very layperson) understanding that no marriage is recognized but the first? The OP has been divorced three times. I can't see that not being a sticking point in the very conservative anabaptist groups I know a little about. Hutterites are a male led group. An unattached older woman without a connection to the colony? Where would she fit? All of the women her age would be married or maybe widows and living with their sons or brothers. Also, I'm not sure that Luanne is in a position or the sort of person who would be able to leave her mother and adult daughter behind in the outside world or that her daughter and mother would be interested in joining.

There's a reason they aren't evangelical or widely open to new members.

I find it interesting that you are talking about me like I'm not here or like I am a small child.

I find it interesting that you are talking about me like I'm not here or like I am a small child.

I knew nothing at all about you or your background, and I thought it insupportable to post such private details about you, coupled with pure speculation about how you might, or might not, think and act. If such information was posted by you in previous threads, that is where the information should remain, unless brought up again by you.

LucyS. Is a good commenter on the boards, and I would like to affirm here my positive attitude toward her for her contributions.

I knew nothing at all about you or your background, and I thought it insupportable to post such private details about you, coupled with pure speculation about how you might, or might not, think and act. If such information was posted by you in previous threads, that is where the information should remain, unless brought up again by you.

LucyS. Is a good commenter on the boards, and I would like to affirm here my positive attitude toward her for her contributions.

If someone is considering joining a religious group that is not consistent with personal details they have shared here *many* times over, I think it is reasonable to point out that they need to learn more about if their past will be accepted by the group they are considering. Single divorced adult woman does not jive with the culture she wants to join. Divorce is literally unthinkable and incompatible with the values of some religious orders. I tried to do that gently, offering at least a couple of alternatives that might be more accessible to someone who has not previously been a member of a very insular sect.
  • Like 14

It is my (very layperson) understanding that no marriage is recognized but the first? 

Most Anabaptist groups, excluding the liberal ones, do not recognize any marriage but the first unless the first spouse died or unless the first spouse was not a legitimate spouse. For an example, if a woman marries a divorced man that first marriage would be considered illegitimate. Some groups would allow remarriage in this situation while others won't.

As far as I'm aware all groups would accept a divorced woman who is currently single. Some groups would want her to seek reconciliation with a legitimate spouse though.

• Like 1

Truthfully, I find it interesting that you would have been thinking about joining a sect that is removed from the outside world and not already know that their views of women are not necessarily compatible with your life history.

In most any post, if I am responding to a response not by the OP, I refer to the OP as the OP or by their user name. Do not assign ill intent and negative meaning where truly none is meant.

I don't read posts in a vacuum and have a strong memory for things I read in print so if something you post on a non-deleted thread is relevant to a current thread, I am likely to recall it. My intent is not negative nor did I think that you having been divorced several times was private information. If you were intending it so, I would assume you would not share it.

Gently, I see the appeal to you of such groups. But I think that the idea may be more appealing than the reality. Regardless, the barriers to entry are high in the particular group you have asked about. There's a lot more to it than clothing. Communal life is not an easy thing to achieve period, especially with a vast cultural, langauge and skill gap. Searching out a conservative Mennonite group or your own volunteer and prayer path is far more attainable in a short amount of time. I suggested Quaker primarily because the meetings might be very reflective to you and meditation is shown to be a major stress reliever. If you have never been, you can always visit. Even if something seems more liberal or conservative than your view, that doesn't mean there is not value is checking it out with an open heart.

It sounds like mommaduck could be a source of good information for you.

I truly wish you well on your search. I also wish that you would learn to not jump on people who are actually trying to be nice. A little grace, patience and assuming positive intent goes a long way. Not just on the boards, but in life and in communal living.

• Like 17

Most Anabaptist groups, excluding the liberal ones, do not recognize any marriage but the first unless the first spouse died or unless the first spouse was not a legitimate spouse. For an example, if a woman marries a divorced man that first marriage would be considered illegitimate. Some groups would allow remarriage in this situation while others won't.

As far as I'm aware all groups would accept a divorced woman who is currently single. Some groups would want her to seek reconciliation with a legitimate spouse though.

Very interesting.

I left a very plain Mennonite church that I grew up in--head coverings, cape dresses, black stockings, acapella music--just to give you a reference point.   I am endlessly fascinated at why people want to join these groups, and what the appeal is.   I do have friends and married-into-the-family relatives that come from some of the Canadian Hutterite colonies, and my dad left the Amish when he was a young man. The majority of my extended family is still very plain Mennonite.

I left in 2002, and its taken me many years to divest myself of the indoctrination and weird thought-processes that I learned as a child.    I learned many good things---how to work--canning, cooking, cleaning, sewing, large group hospitality, gardening, etc.   Scripture memory was a big part of my childhood as well, but I would say that my actual private Mennonite school education was lacking in many ways and would never have been enough to get me through college, without the extra self-studying that I did.  I couldn't differentiate between different music instruments, didn't know how to buy clothes to put into an outfit, and could only see the Bible thru the lens of legalism. I always lived with a fear of man--what are people going to say or think if I do _____?   On the surface, the doctrine seems to be mainstream, but the practices of the doctrines tend mostly towards a works-based theology.  They have rule books, called standards, and they are enforced and can be very nit-picky, down the exact length of your sleeves, size of collars, size of the flowers or color on your dress, etc.  Just some things that came to mind, certainly not all. 

Divorce is definitely a sticking point, with all the plain Anabaptist groups allowing you to join up, but you have to live a celibate life unless you are willing to remarry your first partner.  Even if you have kids from the second marriage. Even if it tears up a loving, Godly family.  Even if the 1st partner is remarried to someone else.  Its a big deal, and we used to call it the 2nd unpardonable sin.   

• Like 6

If you plan to remain single in the future, I don't really know of any conservative anabaptist groups that would have a problem with you being divorced several times.  

The problem would only come in if you were *currently* living with a man, when you had already exchanged marriage vows with another man (or men).  

There are two views that I am aware of.  

One is that the first legitimate marriage is binding until death.  (A legitimate marriage is two never-married people getting married to each other.)  So you can always go back to the first spouse, no matter what you have done (assuming they are willing to take you back).  

The second view is that once you have made vows to two (or more) people, you can't fulfill all the vows so you need to remain single.  Only if all the other parties (in this case, all the husbands) pass away, are you free to remarry.

But again, if you plan to remain single, most groups would be fine with that.  

Please let me know if any of that isn't clear.  : )

As far as having a place for a single lady... Our groups would.  We have single ladies, single older ladies, even a divorced lady with children.   I think most would make a place for a sincere person ready to adapt to their way of life.  (Well, there are some groups that are very closed to outsiders in general, but they are usually smaller and most people 'from the world' wouldn't have heard of them anyway.)  

That said, the best thing to do would be to find a group, talk to them, tell them about yourself, and see what they say.  Sometimes there are issues in a person's life they would see, that we can't see on a message board... and the group itself would be the best ones to access or help with those things.  After all, I don't know you at all.  : )

But Hutterites are a *huge* jump, culturally speaking.  I really would look at a Charity church or conservative Mennos or Beachy Amish or something first, even if it's just a stepping stone as you learn more.  

This is my understanding too.

• Like 1

I am a head-covering, conservative-dressing, Anabaptist-leaning Christian.  I live among Mennonite, Amish, and German Baptist Brethren communities and have relatives and friends who were or are part of those communities.  Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions about any of those groups.

However, as many have said here and for reasons already mentioned, I don't think the Hutterites would be the right fit for you.  Honestly, I wouldn't consider entering that type of community unless my family were also willing to make the commitment. While I understand the strong draw of being part of a larger group of like-minded people, I think it's very important for families to stay together.  

I really do believe everyone commenting on this thread so far has had the best of intentions.

Huge  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: to you, Luanne.  

• Like 4

I have some familiarity with communal living (monasticism in both Orthodox and Roman Catholic traditions) and wanted to make a couple of observations.  For the sake of simplicity, let me assume that anyone who wanted to join a particular community would be aligned with the beliefs of the group.

Joining a monastery is much more akin to creating a marriage than it is to settling into a long-term living situation.  There may be a lot of "eligible bachelors"out there, but you don't just pick one at random and "get on with it."  Joining a community is a mutual agreement of acceptance and union on both parts.  And each community is different, in many ways.  In personality, in life-style, in expectations, in governance.  

I know that some monasteries (in Orthodoxy, male or female, they are "monastics") do not accept a person past a certain (fairly young) age...the failure rate of adaptation is too high.  Others find that they can deal with both the fairly young and the fairly old who come to the community, but the middle-aged are too headstrong.  Some accept widows/widowers; others do not.   Some will accept those who have been married and are not now for whatever reason, some will not.  Sometimes it comes down to what one can do to help with the work of a particular monastery.  

My point is that there are sometimes rules that seem odd to outsiders but they are necessary for THAT particular monastery to succeed.  My other point is that even with shared beliefs, a particular person might be better suited for one community over another.  

Some monasteries allow for short visits, as a retreat (where they will most often put you to work!) or as an experiment in monastic life.  Some have a sort of "summer program" for those interested in more serious exploration. I've known several young men and women who have taken up this option...but only one who has gone on to become a monk.  It is not an easy life, and for many of the same reasons that marriage is not an easy life, either.  But like marriage, it is a life that can be lived in love and in which one can find great fulfillment.  

If you are interested in exploring the communal life of Hutterites, you might be well served by visiting a community and observing how it plays out IRL.  

Interesting option to explore.  

There are some organizations that place Protestants in community non-profits and there's more structure, fellowship and support than just volunteering on your own. Here is one near me, but there are others around the country.

http://www.companis.org

(To all those opening the link, take a moment to smile at the lovely face of my friend Elizabeth (in the red with the glasses), who passed away very recently and who lovingly and joyfully dedicated her life to ministry and service.)

IIRC, it sort of like a Jesuit Volunteer Corp or Vista program but Protestant rather than Catholic or secular and the workers are paid a small stipend and set up with modest room accomodations. The workers tend to be older (unlike Vista or JVC).

• Like 4

(To all those opening the link, take a moment to smile at the lovely face of my friend Elizabeth (in the red with the glasses), who passed away very recently and who lovingly and joyfully dedicated her life to ministry and service.)

She's beautiful.  I'm sorry for your loss ~ may her memory be eternal and may she rest with the saints!

• Like 2

I left a very plain Mennonite church that I grew up in--head coverings, cape dresses, black stockings, acapella music--just to give you a reference point.   I am endlessly fascinated at why people want to join these groups, and what the appeal is.   I do have friends and married-into-the-family relatives that come from some of the Canadian Hutterite colonies, and my dad left the Amish when he was a young man. The majority of my extended family is still very plain Mennonite.

I left in 2002, and its taken me many years to divest myself of the indoctrination and weird thought-processes that I learned as a child.    I learned many good things---how to work--canning, cooking, cleaning, sewing, large group hospitality, gardening, etc.   Scripture memory was a big part of my childhood as well, but I would say that my actual private Mennonite school education was lacking in many ways and would never have been enough to get me through college, without the extra self-studying that I did.  I couldn't differentiate between different music instruments, didn't know how to buy clothes to put into an outfit, and could only see the Bible thru the lens of legalism. I always lived with a fear of man--what are people going to say or think if I do _____?   On the surface, the doctrine seems to be mainstream, but the practices of the doctrines tend mostly towards a works-based theology.  They have rule books, called standards, and they are enforced and can be very nit-picky, down the exact length of your sleeves, size of collars, size of the flowers or color on your dress, etc.  Just some things that came to mind, certainly not all. 

I think people are also "endlessly fascinated" with such a different culture within our country. I am fascinated with it but would never want to live within it.

I cannot relate to those that would want to join after living a fairly conventional western life. I think some see the Amish or Mennonite life as a way to live in a community with peace, simplicity and feel comfort with firm boundaries. I think that everywhere there are people, there is some amount of drama, difficulty, and discomfort. It seems as if it would be more difficult to avoid if one was living inside a community that they couldn't leave.

I can understand those that grow up in that environment and choose to stay there. Their families are there and it is what they know and believe as truth.  I, too, am fascinated that adults who live the conventional western life and wish to convert. I cannot imagine an adult wanting a list of very rigid extra-Biblical rules to live by such as the exact size of a collar. This would suffocate me rather than give me comfort. However, I think it's the same way people are drawn toward fundamentalism. It gives them a list of rules by which to live and to some it's very comforting to certain personalities. I also think the idea of close community with like-minded families is also a huge draw. This seems easier to relate to.  

• Like 3

I think people are also "endlessly fascinated" with such a different culture within our country. I am fascinated with it but would never want to live within it.

I cannot relate to those that would want to join after living a fairly conventional western life. I think some see the Amish or Mennonite life as a way to live in a community with peace, simplicity and feel comfort with firm boundaries. I think that everywhere there are people, there is some amount of drama, difficulty, and discomfort. It seems as if it would be more difficult to avoid if one was living inside a community that they couldn't leave.

I can understand those that grow up in that environment and choose to stay there. Their families are there and it is what they know and believe as truth.  I, too, am fascinated that adults who live the conventional western life and wish to convert. I cannot imagine an adult wanting a list of very rigid extra-Biblical rules to live by such as the exact size of a collar. This would suffocate me rather than give me comfort. However, I think it's the same way people are drawn toward fundamentalism. It gives them a list of rules by which to live and to some it's very comforting to certain personalities. I also think the idea of close community with like-minded families is also a huge draw. This seems easier to relate to.  

This is very true. I can attest to the fact that the local Amish group has a LOT of drama, and a very controversial bishop at this point so there is a lot of infighting. Where there are people, there will be drama, drama, drama.

• Like 2