Menu

About that lion...

creekland

I see a strong connection.  Killing animals for sport is sociopathic, but killing babies (and selling their body parts) is...   what?

Yes, I see a connection as well.  However, I'm confused by the assumption that people can't be or aren't outraged by both.

I started doing pro-life work at about the same time I became a vegetarian due to concern for animal welfare. I wasn't the only vegetarian in our small group of volunteers, either.  Pro-life and pro-animal welfare positions aren't mutually exclusive.

• Like 7

I see a strong connection. Killing animals for sport is sociopathic, but killing babies (and selling their body parts) is... what?

Do you mean luring a fully grown and birthed infant out of a crib and shooting him? Or are you talking about a nonviable fetus in a legal, necessary medical procedure? Straw. Man.

• Like 13

I'm against international trophy hunting.  I *do* sympathize with the people of Zimbabwe. And I'm sad that the lion's cubs will be likely killed now, or have already been killed, by Cecil's rival male lion.  "It's nature's way" but Cecil's death was wholly unnatural.

But, I am grossed out that people who hate that this lion suffered for a week cheerfully eat factory farm meat most every day. If you don't like animal torture, put down the supermarket bacon.   /RANT

ETA-- I am not against responsible hunting.

• Like 2

If they enjoy the actual act of killing, yes.

I guess I don't mind the act of killing for food. If I minded the death even a little bit I wouldn't eat meat. I wouldn't enjoy the act or the death of the animal if I wasn't going to eat it. To me, intent matters.

And I try to avoid factory meat whenever possible.

I guess I don't mind the act of killing for food. If I minded the death even a little bit I wouldn't eat meat. I wouldn't enjoy the act or the death of the animal if I wasn't going to eat it. To me, intent matters.

And I try to avoid factory meat whenever possible.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about people who actually *enjoy* the act of killing a living being.  I have in mind someone, for example, who takes pleasure in watching an animal stumble and fall when the arrow hits its mark. There are people like that, and I think it's sick.  

I'm not talking about someone who needs to provide food for their family and takes no pleasure in the death of the animal.  As a theologically conservative Christian, I don't believe eating meat is a sin.  

I think it's great that you avoid factory-farmed meat. Most hunted animals probably live immeasurably better lives than factory farmed animals. 

I do believe it's wrong to support unnecessary cruelty.  There was absolutely no reason in the world Cecil needed to suffer and die.

• Like 3

Just to be clear, I'm talking about people who actually *enjoy* the act of killing a living being.  I have in mind someone, for example, who takes pleasure in watching an animal stumble and fall when the arrow hits its mark.

Hm. I guess we disagree--I could imagine being hungry enough to enjoy watching the animal fall. As it happens I've never been hungry enough to pull the trigger, but I don't see a moral difference between the joy I feel eating that crispy salmon skin (oh, the bliss!) and the joy at catching a fish (woohoo! I got one!) and the joy at watching the animal fall.

And come to think of it, I have gone fishing and I really did enjoy catching a fish, though it was a millimeter too small and we let it go back. A visceral joy from watching a fish die? No, that's true, it was a bit more solemn during the actual death part, but again--I wasn't hungry.

My BIL hunts for food. He loves guns, too. I think that he takes pleasure in watching the bullet hit its mark. I think he feels solemn and respectful about the death, the circle of life, but that's all mixed in with his feeling of accomplishment--"Look at this great meat  I've gotten my family with my own aim and my own work!" He doesn't feel bad because deer around here are pests. He knows his whole family will be praising him and grateful during the holidays when we eat the venison sausage. Pleasure in death, no not exactly. But if such a person as himself, who wouldn't waste meat for the world, can feel pleasure at a hit, I'll be a hungry man could feel pleasure all the way through the process.

I don't know that our emotions are all that cut and dried, pardon the metaphor, when we are actually in the act of engaging with the circle of life.

All the usual disclaimers about this discussion not applying to game hunting which I find hideously wasteful and cruel. I can hardly stand to kill a mosquito.

• Like 3

My guys enjoy hunting and fishing.  I enjoy fishing.  None of us would lure a well known big fish away from an area where it's loved to kill it and put it on our wall.  Heck, even if we ever caught a record-breaker size-wise or color or whatever, we'd let it go free.  I don't need anything more than a picture and wouldn't even wait on that if a camera weren't handy.

None of our catches adorn our walls.  We eat many of them and catch and release any we're not eating.

As someone else already mentioned, not only did Cecil die - all of his cubs were likely killed too by his rival (nature).  I can't fathom being proud of that or even wanting a picture.  Perhaps they can update the documentary on lions to let this guy get the "credit" he deserves.

• Like 5

This story has me fascinated because of the internet's response.

There's a big disconnect from most of us about the meat we eat. We have this vision of happy cows and chickens living full lives and then being "humanely" killed. Even if you understand that isn't the case in 99% of the meat we eat, you probably aren't thinking about it right before you take a bite out of a burger.

I think it was wrong how the dentist killed the lion, but why are we ok with lots of other atrocious treating and killing of animals?

(I speak of "we" as Americans. I personally am a vegan for environmental and health reasons. The animal welfare is third on my list of reasons, so I'm not an animal rights activist. Just finding this level of outrage interesting.)

• Like 4

Do you mean luring a fully grown and birthed infant out of a crib and shooting him? Or are you talking about a nonviable fetus in a legal, necessary medical procedure? Straw. Man.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's right, and most abortions are done out of convenience.  I suppose you could say that at one point, slavery was also legal and necessary.

• Like 1

Have you read the NY Times editorial?

Oh, well, that makes it all  better.  I mean, the NYT couldn't possibly have a vested interest in keeping PP's image positive.  Please tell me how they "deceptively edited" words into Nucatola's mouth specifying how she would crush above and crush below a baby's body parts in order to extract whole livers.

• Like 2

Wouldn't abortion be more comparable to the existing, legal, widespread practice of neutering cats and even female cats while pregnant, and disposing of the kitten foeti because nobody is going to pay for them to survive, so why wait until they are big enough to sense that nobody wants them and then find a way to get rid of them after moving them from home to home and putting them in cat / person prison? Seems to me that that's already happening, both the feline/primate abortion practice and the practice of letting some babies come to term and then informing their parents / cat owners that they shouldn't have had children / kittens, and putting the children and/or kittens in institutions where they will learn maladaptive behaviors and be shuffled around until they can't think anymore but certainly are on the defensive all the time.

That's hardly news. It happens to people and kitties all the time, like it or not!

This is more like a group of people who enjoy killing adult humans, going and finding some celebrity and killing him.

So human babies = kittens?  Wow.

• Like 1

Oh, well, that makes it all better. I mean, the NYT couldn't possibly have a vested interest in keeping PP's image positive. Please tell me how they "deceptively edited" words into Nucatola's mouth specifying how she would crush above and crush below a baby's body parts in order to extract whole livers.

Right, or how the woman selling the baby parts was joking about buying a new car from the supposedly "nonprofit" sale?

How many here read the NY times article but didn't watch the three videos?

• Like 3

I have no problem with people who hunt for food, but trophy hunting is a bit lame.

I also have no problem with whatever happens to fetal tissue after a pregnancy termination in the first trimester.

Only on WTM could the lion thread turn into an abortion thread. Seriously. Only place in the damn world.

Sorry to disappoint you, but a local Facebook chat board/group is discussing just that right now.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's right, and most abortions are done out of convenience.  I suppose you could say that at one point, slavery was also legal and necessary.

There is no way for anyone to ever know this, much less comment on it.

The path this thread is on, lockdown should not be long.

• Like 8

I'm against this dentist and the killing of this lion. I'm absolutely not defending him. Honestly, I have a deep bias against dentists in general. They scare the bejeezus out of me.

But every time there's one of these things - and by one of these things, I mean, something where someone does something and everyone gets all up in arms about it online for a few days - I feel a sense of real weariness. Sometimes I think it's something overblown, or something unjustified in being angry about, other times I think the person probably should be punished... but even when I feel that way and dislike what happened, like in this case, I don't like the way we're all going about this with virtual stonings. It makes me deeply uncomfortable.

• Like 14

I'm against this dentist and the killing of this lion. I'm absolutely not defending him. Honestly, I have a deep bias against dentists in general. They scare the bejeezus out of me.

But every time there's one of these things - and by one of these things, I mean, something where someone does something and everyone gets all up in arms about it online for a few days - I feel a sense of real weariness. Sometimes I think it's something overblown, or something unjustified in being angry about, other times I think the person probably should be punished... but even when I feel that way and dislike what happened, like in this case, I don't like the way we're all going about this with virtual stonings. It makes me deeply uncomfortable.

I believe that would be the knee jerk reaction against mobs. I share that sentiment, because it clouds good judgment and fairness in dealing with a crime in favor of emotional reactions and personal satisfaction of 'justice' - which rarely lines up with the legal definition of it.

The dentist and the guides were wrong in their actions on several levels. This needs a trial and due penalty under the applicable laws. But true outrage needs to be reserved for acts deserving it, and so often we have a mute response to real injustice and moral debasement because it is difficult, ugly, or inconvenient to confront. Even in dealing with Zimbabwe, the lion is the least issue on the table. I just shake my head in disgust at so much of what is news. It's all about emotional foment, not real, sober minded, careful assessment of events and how they impact our society as a whole, especially in the long term.

Maybe this is why I funnel my news sources down to a select few - they give a little distance and perspective, and resist emotional manipulation to make their points. And when assigning moral judgment it isn't just about what the mob demands, but what real principles underlie the given issue. In the scheme of things so much of news means so little, and the real and important issues often get ignored, buried, or lessened in impact until it is too late and they're disruptive and consuming.

It's human nature, but I wish so much of the print and air media would feed into the worst side of it.

Hm. I guess we disagree--I could imagine being hungry enough to enjoy watching the animal fall...

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, Tsuga.  Disagreement doesn't offend me.  Being unwilling to question assumptions and think things through does (and that's not directed at you or anyone in particular!).  

Have a good night.  :)

• Like 2

I believe that would be the knee jerk reaction against mobs. I share that sentiment, because it clouds good judgment and fairness in dealing with a crime in favor of emotional reactions and personal satisfaction of 'justice' - which rarely lines up with the legal definition of it.

Right. And I don't think justice = law in all cases. Justice is something beyond the law on some level. But there are no rules about this stuff on the internet. And for every time that it takes out an obscenely wealthy, lion-killing dentist jerk, it takes out someone who was just rude once or someone who put their foot in their mouth, or someone who I don't think did anything wrong at all. And there's so little laws about how we deal with this mob behavior. I may think justice doesn't always go hand in hand with the law, but when there's almost no laws, like is the case with the internet shaming mob, I think it makes it harder to get to justice in society overall.

I mean, I'm glad the internet brings people to light who broke the law, like this guy. It's not a straightforward thing. Just to say, yeah, mobs make me uncomfortable.

• Like 2

If justice always equaled the written law we would have a much more stable society than we do, I think. Obviously I concur :)

No, because you introduced the PP derail and others followed with their anti-choice propaganda. Bit late to position yourself above the fray.

Only one of these stories deserves the weight of public opinion falling upon it in true outrage and shame. And it isn't the lion.

Unfortunately there can be no threads about that. And I don't want to shut down this one even with something that needs discussing. So I'm leaving it be and getting back on topic.

Well, I have an opinion about the lion situation but I am not foaming at the mouth or picking up stones.  A thread was started about a topic.  I expressed my opinion.  I think there is a newsworthiness to the incident because a) the dentist was from my country and as such, the broadcast news from my country would naturally air it and b) poaching is a big deal (not the article "a" which can mean one out of many) and b) this was a famous lion.  

Believe it or not, there is news aired about other things of a big or controversial nature all the time.  Last time I checked, the news did not stop at one story.  And there are many forums devoted to discussing those topics.  Some of those topics veer into the no politics rule on this particular forum and I respect that.  I do not like people sneaking those topics into other threads while saying that they are not allowed to post a thread devoted to the topic.  

• Like 10

To me it's different from... say, PP or Sandra Bland or Obama's trip to Africa or any of the other various things that have been going on in the last week because it's just this one guy. And the focus isn't "how can we better protect animals in the wild" or even "is sport hunting ever okay" (though there has been a little of that discussion) - the focus has all been calling the guy expletives (ETA: not here... on my FB though, people have used some really foul language about the guy) and heaping nasty on him. And... again, I don't really disagree and I'm not sure what the remedy is when someone does something wrong or illegal and the law doesn't carry about justice... but it still makes me uncomfortable. 

Yeah, that's why I kept editing out my posts - I have gotten over the shock of how upset everyone is about this whole thing while remaining mum on real, tragic, current issues on the exact same headline pages, or in the exact same countries. My goal wasn't to devolve things, I am genuinely stumped at the contrast and it is the only thing that even stands out to me about this story.

Why don't *you* opine more on the lion? I ran out of things to say, because it's just a cat. And the hunting - I can get on board with outlawing sport hunting, but I doubt it will happen.

I didn't realize that we were supposed to keep posting about something if we've given our opinion.  I post only one opinion on many many threads.  But yeah, I'm bothered by the shaming going on in this thread that has nothing to do with the topic.  We have tons of threads on this forum that pale in comparison with more important things :  how to braid hair, what to fix for dinner, which Doctor Who we like best, as well as threads on news items that aren't necessarily the most important news topic around like celebrity "news" or the latest sports scandal.  Are we supposed to shame everyone who posts on those threads because we are ignoring the children with alopecia with the braiding hair thread or the children who are starving with the what to fix for dinner threads?  And are we supposed to shame people on this board because of how people on FB behave?  

• Like 11

Since when is abortion an "unapproved post for the board"?

I think it's simply because it gets political, fast. This one tends to break down along predictable lines, by and large. And it's true that I shouldn't have brought it on this thread - too many are derailed on here when the OP doesn't want them to be - it's not in better taste when I do it than when someone else does.

I am still in utter disgust over the contrast of these two news stories and the responses to them, but I should have self censored faster or started another thread, myself.

The topic is not expressly prohibited in the TOS last I checked, but it's also not a subject I think can be discussed here well. Not with the way topics of less significance have been handled, and not if board history is any indication. If someone else wants to try spearheading that they can, but I dont feel the need to grow even more depressed with society tonight :lol:

Yeah, that's why I kept editing out my posts - I have gotten over the shock of how upset everyone is about this whole thing while remaining mum on real, tragic, current issues on the exact same headline pages, or in the exact same countries. My goal wasn't to devolve things, I am genuinely stumped at the contrast and it is the only thing that even stands out to me about this story.

Why don't *you* opine more on the lion? I ran out of things to say, because it's just a cat. And the hunting - I can get on board with outlawing sport hunting, but I doubt it will happen.

That's entirely your own opinion based upon your own ethical priorities. I neither share your priorities nor the foundation upon which you establish your ethical hierarchy. That we disagree on this does not mean that I "remain mum on real, tragic, current issues." I think your priorities discount important issues. Should I claim moral superiority because what you think is important differs from mine? imo, that's the way your posts read.

• Like 8

I'm not trying to shame the board. Really. I'm just not feeling the individual outrage these days for this stuff. Trying to raise some questions about it is all.

I don't agree at all with the outrage toward PP, but it feels like the internet's power to discuss and bring to light issues has been better served in other arenas, though I would go to another issue, like, say, the death of Sandra Bland.

I'm not trying to shame the board. Really. I'm just not feeling the individual outrage these days for this stuff. Trying to raise some questions about it is all.

I don't agree at all with the outrage toward PP, but it feels like the internet's power to discuss and bring to light issues has been better served in other arenas, though I would go to another issue, like, say, the death of Sandra Bland.

But again, that's your own ethical hierarchy at work. You don't think this issue is important? Fine. I think it's about a whole lot more than just one hunter and one lion. I can be concerned about the environment and the other species that share this planet with me. I think these are serious issues. I don't think I have to discount this one issue in order to be seen as serious about other issues. I also think that racism, privilege, income inequality, etc are also serious issues. I can (and have) talked about all of the above in the last week.

Also, I don't agree with the way some of this dentist's critics have behaved. If it were my dentist, I'd be looking for another one. It's not my dentist so I don't think it appropriate to post Yelp reviews or comment on his Facebook page. That some people chose to do otherwise does not mean I therefore should refrain from talking about this man's choices. Then again, this isn't just one lion and it isn't this gentleman's first time getting in trouble for how he chooses to comport himself on his "hunts." Plenty of other secondary issues are all wrapped up in an American killing Zimbabwe's famous lion.

• Like 8

Is the Planned Parenthood straw man being pushed by conservative media? I've seen three drops of it in FB posts on Cecil and now here.

This kind of "hunting" seems sociopathic to me. Sick freak. Seems like these people would get off on hunting people too.

Agreed. There is a special snowflake kinda wrong going on here. The hubris, the grandiosity, juxtaposed next to pathetic "hunting."

• Like 5

But again, that's your own ethical hierarchy at work. You don't think this issue is important? Fine. I think it's about a whole lot more than just one hunter and one lion. I can be concerned about the environment and the other species that share this planet with me. I think these are serious issues. I don't think I have to discount this one issue in order to be seen as serious about other issues. I also think that racism, privilege, income inequality, etc are also serious issues. I can (and have) talked about all of the above in the last week.

Also, I don't agree with the way some of this dentist's critics have behaved. If it were my dentist, I'd be looking for another one. It's not my dentist so I don't think it appropriate to post Yelp reviews or comment on his Facebook page. That some people chose to do otherwise does not mean I therefore should refrain from talking about this man's choices. Then again, this isn't just one lion and it isn't this gentleman's first time getting in trouble for how he chooses to comport himself on his "hunts." Plenty of other secondary issues are all wrapped up in an American killing Zimbabwe's famous lion.

Sport hunting and wildlife is an issue... I agree it's not one that I feel as connected with, though basically agree with you. So, yeah, that's true that my ethical views are here. But the focus on this, as you point out, has been to ruin his business, call him names, and the mob mentality about it isn't anything that feels thoughtful or issue driven to me. If the focus was on trophy hunting as a larger issue I would feel better about the whole thing. But it hasn't been.

The discussion here has been slightly more thoughtful... but when you can say that about a discussion that devolved into name calling about a totally different issue, then I think that's not a great sign.

ETA: To tie it to another issue I mentioned... if the focus in the Sandra Bland death were on tracking down and personally hurting the police officer (which I've seen a little of, but that hasn't been the dominant discussion), then I would fell the same way - if anything, the internet stoning gets in the way of the real issues at hand and in the way of justice.

To me it's different from... say, PP or Sandra Bland or Obama's trip to Africa or any of the other various things that have been going on in the last week because it's just this one guy. And the focus isn't "how can we better protect animals in the wild" or even "is sport hunting ever okay" (though there has been a little of that discussion) - the focus has all been calling the guy expletives (ETA: not here... on my FB though, people have used some really foul language about the guy) and heaping nasty on him. And... again, I don't really disagree and I'm not sure what the remedy is when someone does something wrong or illegal and the law doesn't carry about justice... but it still makes me uncomfortable. 

Farrar, I consider your posts to be on topic and an appropriate extension of the main discussion.  

I find myself more and more freaked out by the viciousness (calling for people to die, or get cancer, or get raped) that people seem to feel free to post toward those online they are angry with.  Not here - along with your observations on the internet outrage in general.  It seems revealing and not in a good way.

• Like 8

I must be gifted and talented. Because I can sustain outrage - and conversation - about more than one topic at a time.

It's silly to dismiss and disdain outrage over the dentist because other (and human) atrocities co-exist.

• Like 21

To me, what bothers me about this guy is that he exemplified the very height of entitled 'Merica redneckery that I wish we didn't export.  (My apologies to rednecks for lumping this clown in with them.) 

It would be like setting dog food out on your neighbor's lawn, shooting their dog when it came out to eat, and then acting surprised that they weren't happy with you.  "Oh, that was your dog?  It had a name?  I didn't know you had a pet, I just thought the animals you were keeping were for me to shoot whenever I felt like it." 

Does anybody know, was it technically poaching if he lured it and shot it outside of the reserved area?  On what precise charge would he be extradited?  He obviously owes that country something. 

• Like 14

He's just a safe target of outrage.  No matter what your thoughts are on politics, race, religion, whatever, you know you AND everyone you know really hates this  guys.  We all bond over disgust.

• Like 2

Farrar, I consider your posts to be on topic and an appropriate extension of the main discussion.

I find myself more and more freaked out by the viciousness (calling for people to die, or get cancer, or get raped) that people seem to feel free to post toward those online they are angry with. Not here - along with your observations on the internet outrage in general. It seems revealing and not in a good way.

It's cowardice and dehumanizing those who we are talking to, or about. And the Internet allows for both things and in some ways encourages it. It's the same way that stoning a happen in groups - nobody would chuck it, staring down the person they're trying to kill and not having the cover of others doing it, too. Mass discourse with avatars and pseudonyms encourages people to reveal the worst parts of themselves.

I must be gifted and talented. Because I can sustain outrage - and conversation - about more than one topic at a time.

It's silly to dismiss and disdain outrage over the dentist because other (and human) atrocities co-exist.

Ditto.  I'm glad I was able to catch up on this thread before it likely gets locked or deleted while I'm asleep then off to another dr visit tomorrow.  However, I'll admit it does sort of bother me that a fair number of fellow boardies don't care that an American heads into another country and kills their esteemed lion 'cause it's a "minor problem" and no one should care.  I guess it's supposed to be ok because there are other atrocities going on of various sorts?

There are many things I don't like that go on and I can not like them simultaneously.  I can even type or verbalize my thoughts about more than one topic in any given hour.

I have no desire to kill/maim/whatever this guy, but I definitely would not go to him as a dentist (or any other profession) and I hope he gets sent to Zimbabwe for justice.

I hope others learn from his situation.

I hope some good can come out of it somehow - esp for Zimbabwe.

• Like 16