Menu

Meatless dinners...filling and tasty

fairfarmhand

My family is a meat and potatoes kind of family. We like veggies, but we are used to meat at every dinner.

We are out of beef (grassfed that we raise ourselves) and will be for another 18 months. So my dh has this idea of going meatless 1-2 nights a week.

I am open to the idea. However, I do have a few concerns.

1. Whatever I cook has to be filling. In the past, substituting beans for meat means that everyone is hungry 2 hours later. It kind of defeats the purpose if everyone is eating sandwiches at 8 pm. We work hard around here and we need filling food that will stay with us.

2. It has to be tasty. This is my biggest concern. All my meatless experiments in the past fail because I can't figure out how to make it appealing. The family eats it, but nobody really enjoys it. Our beans are rather bland. Our casseroles are blah, Nobody wants seconds.

3. Nothing weird. Like I said...meat and potatoes people.

• Like 1

Try the recipes at Thug Kitchen.  

My decidedly omnivore, meat loving never going to be vegetarian family loves the chickpea broccoli burritos with the roasted garlic salsa.  The chickpeas are as good and as filling as chicken.  The seasonings and the avocado make the difference.  

Another fave is the peanut noodles with kale.  

http://www.thugkitchen.com/roasted_chickpea_broccoli_burrito 

• Like 7

My dh's motto is, "No meat, no eat!". Lol, but he loves my black bean and rice enchiladas. So easy and so filling. Basically I cook rice and add black beans and salsa (shredded cheese could be added too). Wrap it up in tortillas and pour enchilada sauce and bake until bubbly. Serve with sour cream.

• Like 2

Potatoes are a high satiety food and since your family likes them, they could be the base of many meals: beefless stew, shepherds pie, etc.  Whole grains are also good for the fullness factor: whole grain bread or pasta, oats, brown rice.  Beans are generally considered filling.  Maybe your portions were small?  or your bean meal had more veggies than beans?  

I make a vegetarian burger from kidney beans, brown rice and oats (Jeff Novick's burger recipe)...seasoned with BBQ sauce and steak seasoning.  My husband says it's so filling he can't finish it.

We don't eat meat so I could give more meal ideas but I will simplify by saying that if you consume enough quality starch (intact, unrefined) you shouldn't be feeling hungry.

• Like 4

Google Chef John's mushroom meatballs.  They are absolutely delicious and taste just like meat! 

We do veggie fajitas a lot.  Saute all colors of bell peppers, onions and mushrooms in oil with cumin and chili powder.  Put in tortillas with greek yogurt, guac and hot sauce.

There are a lot of good recipes out there for black bean burgers.  Also, grilled zucchini or eggplant sandwiches with mozzarella on crusty bread with a side of veg and/or a salad.

• Like 2

I recommend Budget Bytes website for lots of great recipes that are inexpensive, filling, and tasty. 

http://www.budgetbytes.com/

We aren't vegetarians and my DH grew up a meat and potatoes type guy but now we eat vegetarian (kinda ... I use broth in a lot of recipes so it's not actually vegetarian just meatless) about 70% of the time.  Meat is expensive!  

I always have a huge pot of vegetable soup in the fridge that people can eat as snacks.  If you throw a cup of rice in when it's heating up in the microwave it's even more filling.

Vegetable lasagna is very hearty.

Sauteed zucchini with pesto and pasta is filling.  .

How were you fixing the beans?  I find them to be very filling so that's surprising.

We also eat a lot of Indian lentil dishes but they might be unusual flavors to your family.   

• Like 6

Try the recipes at Thug Kitchen.  

My decidedly omnivore, meat loving never going to be vegetarian family loves the chickpea broccoli burritos with the roasted garlic salsa.  The chickpeas are as good and as filling as chicken.  The seasonings and the avocado make the difference.  

Another fave is the peanut noodles with kale.  

http://www.thugkitchen.com/roasted_chickpea_broccoli_burrito 

Wow.  They has some great looking recipes but the language kinda got to me after a few pages.  And I come from a long line of family members that create their own obscenities that make the "F" word look like it's suitable for a nursery rhyme by comparison.  

• Like 2

Baked potato bar (white or sweet) with vegetarian chili and toppings

Egg-based dishes: frittata, quiche, omelet, breakfast-style burritos

Black bean soup (I try to make and freeze black beans to have on hand, which is cheaper than canned. I use red wine vinegar instead of balsamic in this. Fresh onions and garlic usually too.) https://books.google.com/books?id=1TIo8U5BGzsC&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=desperation+dinners+black+bean+soup&source=bl&ots=RS6Mq8W82r&sig=lP7SWlBcN_tWrrmXGxsh5P8AaT0&hl=en&sa=X&ei=EpOJVcjDGIrVsAXw0YPQBg&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=desperation%20dinners%20black%20bean%20soup&f=false

Well that link looks crazy. It's Desperation Dinners speedy black bean soup.

• Like 1

Can you go to your local library? I bet there are a lot of vegetarian cookbooks you can check out. Sometimes it can pay to just try a bunch of different things.

As for the difference between feeling full with mean vs beans, this is a volume and fiber issue.  Meat feels heavy in your stomach and takes longer to digest because it is a big wad of protein with very little fiber. It takes a while to work its way through your system. Beans have a lot of fiber as do veggies, so they take up more space in your stomach at first, but when broken down it goes quicker. It really is just a different feeling that takes getting used to. It is common for people who give up meat (which I know you do not want to do) to complain that their stomachs feel empty even if not really 'hungry'. They just feel off. I know you say you are hungry and I believe you, I am just trying to give you some context. A stomach full of beans and rice just feels different than a stomach full of pork chops. Both are full, but it is different.

Do you have the same problem if you have meatless pasta meal? Do you ever have a meatless pasta meal, lol? I find a bowl of spaghetti and red sauce quite filling.

Can you experiment with meals that have a high veg or bean content with a small amount of meat?  So make some delicious black beans that have been stewing with a cheap cut of meat, or some chicken thighs etc? It will stretch what you have and ease you out of that feeling of having something so solid in your stomach.  Or serve a veg main dish and have salad with some meat on top as a side dish? Or saute a two strips of bacon and then saute your kale in some of the remaining fat and crumble the bacon on top. Another thing that people who are used to eating more mean find helpful is to raise the fat content of the meal, so using sour cream or cheese with the meal can help.

If you look at old vegetarian cookbooks from like the 1970s (like the old standby Moosewood Cookbook) those meals are full of cheese and sour cream and lots of other dense foods. It was in response to people saying that vegetarian food was sparse or not filling. That led to people thinking vegetarian food was heavy, lol. There was a change in the 1990s and later to lighter, less dense food. But, that was when ALL American food became less fat laden and more fiber rich. Modern vegetarian cookbooks are much more balanced.

as for a filling cheap meal, my kids love a bowl of brown rice topped with some refried beans, grated cheese and a couple scoops of salsa. I get the beans right out of the can. It is the simplest dinner in the world and they love it. Both my boys are ballet dancers and one bowl fills them up after 3 hours of ballet.

• Like 2

My dc hate casseroles, except this one.  It uses pepperoni, so technically not "meatless".

Copied out of my recipe book.  Use regular pasta if you're not gluten-free.  The stars are my rating system for how many people in the family eat it.  6 out of 8 is about as good as it gets here...

Pizza Pasta Casserole     ««««««

2 jars (28 oz. each) spaghetti sauce

1 pkg. (16 oz.) gluten-free spiral pasta, cooked and drained

4 c. (16 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese

8 oz. sliced pepperoni

Layer spaghetti sauce, pepperoni, cheese, and pasta into a large baking dish.  Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 min. or until heated through and cheese is melted.

If you'd like to try your hand at ethnic foods, there are a TON of options. 

We have a recipe for black beans that is to die for. I will post it when I have access to it again (I'm away from home today.)

Sometimes for quick lunches I'll do an easy version: start an onion sauteeing in olive oil, open a couple cans of black beans and throw those in, then add garlic, lime, and whatever spice strikes my fancy that day. Let them cook on low for 15-20 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally. Serve with rice or tortillas. They turn out delicious. 

Pesto pasta, chile rellenos casserole, eggplant parmesan, cream style lasagna with veggies and cheese (no meat in the sauce).

We do lots of soups in the winter. White bean & kale, white bean & carrot with caramelized onions and rosemary, spicy bean & corn, minestrone, French lentil, potato (saute onions and celery and garlic, add potatoes and water (just to cover) and cook until potatoes are tender. Add 2-3 cans evaporated milk and season with garlic salt/seasoned salt and pepper. We also add whatever veggies we have on hand when we add the potatoes.) African peanut, vegetarian chili. 

Roasted potatoes are delicious and super filling. Sometimes we serve them with sauces: tahini, Asian peanut, or even chili.

Falafel patties (made from chickpeas) are also a favorite of mine. They're usually served with cucumber and tomato and onion with tzatziki (yogurt based garlic cucumber sauce) in pitas.

Pastitsio and Moussaka (Greek casseroles) can both be made meatless and are delicious. Spanakopita or Tyropita could also be made in casserole form to cut down on work. 

Lentil dal is a favorite here. Red lentils, onion, garlic, cumin, cilantro, coconut milk, tumeric, mustard & cumin seeds; all cooked together and served over rice. 

• Like 3

Try whisking some eggs and then add cottage cheese, your favorite shredded cheese, chopped herbs, and a little salt. Veggies if you want. Bake in greased dish until top is puffed up or whenever it is done to your liking. It's a very forgiving recipe - proportions don't matter within reason. I love it with salsa or sliced tomatoes. It's cheap and high in protein and fat so it's filling.

A filling snack is hard boiled eggs with guacamole. Yum.

I make homemade seitan and use it in place of beef in some recipes. It's easy to make and filling.

• Like 1

One way to keep people from feeling as though they are "going without" meat is to turn the meat into an ingredient, not the focus of a meal. So instead of steak and potatoes, think of steak as an ingredient in fajitas. Go heavy on the onions and peppers, but put in some meat so that people don't focus on the lack. This is also a great way to do soups, as well. A ham and bean soup with a bit of ham and heavy on the beans still has the great flavor, but is a lot cheaper to prepare. 

That being said, vegetarian food is infinitely flexible and tasty. I frequently make a recipe similar to this one: http://www.food.com/recipe/tvp-vegan-sloppy-joes-220980(my carnivore of a husband loves it, especially when broiled on a slice of bread with cheese on the top). Vegetarian chili is also great... just make a bean chili and add in some dry TVP -- the TVP soaks up the flavor of the broth/juice and adds a nice bit of texture. 

If you're still eating eggs, breakfast for dinner is great. You could do omelettes with tons of veggies in them. A local restaurant puts a bit of pancake batter into the egg mixture to make their omelettes more filling. 

• Like 4

Wow. They has some great looking recipes but the language kinda got to me after a few pages. And I come from a long line of family members that create their own obscenities that make the "F" word look like it's suitable for a nursery rhyme by comparison.

It's meant to be tongue in cheek. The recipes are great and worth overlooking the language for.

Though go buy some smoked paprika because they are all about the smoked paprika. Just be prepared. Everything else though, was all stuff we have on hand.

• Like 2

This is the funny part, considering this is my dh's idea.

He can't/won't eat eggs without meat. He says it makes him feel gaggy.

He doesn't like soups. Because soup isn't a meal.

Pasta... hes says that's just starchy filler.

(I had this conversation this morning with the man)

:)

• Like 3

Wow.  They has some great looking recipes but the language kinda got to me after a few pages.  And I come from a long line of family members that create their own obscenities that make the "F" word look like it's suitable for a nursery rhyme by comparison.  

(re: Thug Kitchen)

I just got the Thug Kitchen cookbook as a gift. (I asked for it.)

I've been reading it this morning & find it hilarious. Plus, the recipes sound tasty & awesome, so I'm looking forward to making some!

• Like 3

Will your family eat past sauce with lots of vegetables? I sauté mushrooms, zucchini and eggplant, then add either jarred or homemade sauce and toss with pasta and top with shredded mozzarella. The veggies add a lot of bulk and my kids mostly like them.

Bean and rice bowls, potato enchiladas and burritos, potato and corn chowder, vegetable lasagna, sloppy lentils, hummus with pita bread (or veggies or regular bread).  These are all very filling and favorites in our home.

• Like 1

LOL

Sounds like stuff I say.  Except for soup.  I love soup.  But of course with meat!

Maybe he doesn't think chicken is a meat and wants chicken?  :laugh:

I love veggies too.  But beans...meh.  Rice...yuck.  So what does that leave?  Not much.  I can't do too much pasta...too carby.  I love potatoes, but also carby.

I'm not even crazy about fish because that leaves me quickly hungry. 

Sounds like he just signed up to cook the meatless meals!

• Like 10

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Sounds like my house.

Soup and salad are courses, not meals by themselves.

Sandwiches are lunches maybe, but definitely not a dinner meal.

Eggs are for breakfast only (quiche included).

Pasta, some dishes he's ok with. Lasgana for example. But not too often.

It makes me crack up when I get those emails of suggested dinner menus and half the dinners are like sloppy joes, ceaser salad with chicken, soups, etc.

• Like 1

I'd start small and work up from there.  I'd start serving one dinner a week that is meatless.  I'd put it on the table with a smile and no comment.  Eventually they'll get used to them.  

• Like 2

How wonderful he has offered to take on the menu planning, shopping and cooking! 

• Like 8

We don't eat a lot of meat, for no other reason than it is expensive! That said, we do have meat in lots of meals, but really only enough to make the meal not vegetarian. So more veggies than meat in stir fry, refried beans mixed into taco meat, main course salads, some ham or bacon in the frittata or quiche

I am with your Dh on soup. Not a fan for dinner.

Maybe you could start gradually cutting down on meat... Might be easier for everyone.

• Like 3

I know you said no soup, but potato soup (especially with cheese and butter) is super filling and hearty. With some bread, I think this would be a great option.

Yeah, I was going to say I don't think much of soups if they aren't stew-like with lots of body. Not really a clear broth kind of gal.

• Like 1

Another option is to use meat as more of a flavoring rather than leaving it out altogether. I use diced ham or bacon in 15 bean soup or egg dishes for example. (At least I did when I was single and cooking for myself.) I could leave the meat out, but it seems more satisfying even with just a sprinkle of meat. Using consistently less meat and more vegetables and starches might be an easier change. Just a thought if the meatless meals prove too big of a challenge for your family.

• Like 1

I think I may start with cutting back on the meat.

I promise he's not trying to be difficult. I think he was just thinking about our health, since we;re out of grassfed beef. But his preferences just drive me crazy sometimes. 

I love making things like corn chowder, potato soup, vegetable soup, etc. with a crusty bread as a supper, but he (in the past) just hasn't gone for it very much. :) 

Since he asked for it, I don't see how he can complain too much though!

We're not huge pasta/rice people and that seems to be the backbone of many meatless meals.

• Like 2

We're struggling with the same thing here. I find that lots of cheese helps to improve flavor and increase protein levels, but it definitely doesn't replace meat. (And I've gained several pounds since we went from a paleo way of eating to a mostly vegetarian way of eating :()

That said, I'll link a few things that have been popular and filling here. I've had to get past the idea that I'm composing meals made entirely of side dishes :lol: And I increase the cheese in pretty much every recipe!

http://damndelicious.net/2014/07/07/quinoa-enchilada-casserole/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/primavera-orzo-recipe.html

https://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/2009/06/06/parmesan-roasted-cauliflower/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/melissa-darabian/perfect-black-beans-recipe.html(with quinoa or brown rice, and lots of cheese)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-potato-leek-soup-ii/detail.aspx(does bacon count as meat? :lol:)

http://damndelicious.net/2014/04/02/zucchini-fritters/(these were not exactly what I expected, but everyone loved them)

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/08/summer-vegetable-tian/ 

I'm still adding to my Plan to Eat database everyday. Do you use PTE? If you do, you can friend me there and see all my newest additions. I also find a lot of help on Pinterest. I need to see pictures or I'm lost, so cookbooks can be tricky for me. 

HTH!

ETA: I just saw your DH's feelings on non-meat foods. Yeah, that's going to make it difficult. He's either going to have to suck it up and deal or suck it up and have you buy the meat at the store!

Vegetarian pasta dishes with:

Marinara sauce

sauteed veggies

mushroom cream sauce

fresh tomato and mozzarella - great in summer when it is hot

Rice salad. This one is fantastic and easy to make http://www.molliekatzen.com/recipes/recipe.php?recipe=jeweled_rice_salad

Quinoa tabuleh

Vegetable casseroles with Sauce Hollandaise, bake in the oven

Mushroom-carrot loaf  (from the Moosewood cookbook, http://www.food.com/recipe/carrot-mushroom-loaf-176561)

Omlettes, quiche, frittatas

Do you eat fish and seafood? 

Salmon or shrimp in white wine cream sauce with pasta or rice in one of our quick standbys.

ETA: Just saw you don't like pasta. So, base it on potatoes.

latkes

potato soup

New potatoes with quark, scrambled eggs, and cucumber/tomato salad is one of my favorite meals.

You can make all kinds of oven baked dishes, topped with potato slices and cheese.

Potatoes - filling, lots of potassium, plenty of fiber. Anything you serve over pasta or rice does well over potatoes. Dinner tonight is baked potatoes (20min in the Instant Pot, 20 minutes on the grill) topped with green peppers, green onions, sliced olives (for the kids), steamed spinach (or Kale? haven't decided), and then BBQ sauce or salsa depending on your preference. Oh, and beans! Basically whatever bits of leftover beans I have knocking around in the fridge/freezer. I think the kids will probably do some Smart Balance on top too, but dh and I won't. These are pretty big potatoes, and tbh even though I could eat a lot of food before we went vegan, I probably won't be able to finish it. And if I do, I'll probably be over-full.

ime, fiber, not fat or dairy, is the name of the game. The more fiber your meal has, the fuller you'll be...for hours.

Tomorrow night is Chef AJ's Red Lentil Chili over oil-free baked potato wedges. The night after that is Dragon Noodle Salad and Sesame Tofu from "Isa Does It." The day after that I'm going to make some vegan naan from Richa Hingle (Vegan Richa), top that with roasted red pepper hummus and a bunch of grilled veggies (eggplant, mushroom, red pepper, zucchini, and red onion). I think I'll heat that up on the grill and serve a simple salad on the side.

Polenta makes a good base - soft or baked/fried slices. Quinoa, farro, millet, couscous, amaranth, bulgur, etc are also other great intact grains to base a meal on. My kids really like a garlic chickpea farro salad we've had a few times ("Salad Samurai" by Terry Hope Romero). I usually roast the chickpeas and go for either oil-free in the dressing or half what the recipe calls for.

• Like 3

Two vegetarian chili recipes that every carnivore I know eats and loves (except my DH, who won't eat beans):

Moosewood vegetarian chili (I keep this in single servings in my freezer all the time for quick lunches)

Weelicious four bean chili - I skip the meat and usually make mine 5 bean

Either of these served over potatoes (white or sweet), pasta, rice, barley... top with cheese and/or avocado for extra filling.

• Like 1

What about falafel? Slathered with hummus and loaded up with veggies on a ww pita, that's a big meal. You can also always eat two.

I have a huge appetite. I am not a dainty small plate eater. At all. My husband has a lightning fast metabolism, is on his feet at his job all day, bikes to and from work and does crossfit 4-5x a week so also not an especially light eater. But we eat a lot of meatless meals or meals with meat as a side or garnish and do just fine. It takes some shifting expectations and there may well be an adjustment period. That said, a lot of people are really colored by to their preconceived ideas about what is and isn't a meal and what is and isn't filling. Accept that it's not an easy transition and maybe work up to meatless meals from doing less meat, then meat on the side/as a flavoring and a garnish.

One thing I do is make tacos with 1-2 veggie fillings and 1 meat filling. Then I might have 1 with meat and 2-3 with veggie filing, rather than 3-4 with meat. The Thug Kitchen book has a great recipe for a cauliflower taco filling.

• Like 2

I just wanted to agree with Lucy Stoner's comment about shifting expectations.  I was always an omnivore with plant-based leanings. I have never liked meat so it was easy to let go of taste-wise, but not meal-planning wise.  My difficulty was in letting go of oil.  My husband was a junk food vegetarian when we met, shifted to healthier omnivore and now wants to go low fat starch-based vegan with the rest of us.  He has struggled with some of his taste expectations, but has been willing to try almost everything.  Sometimes it's a miss...he'll eat it but say he didn't really care for it.  Other times, like with the potato enchiladas, he'll rave about them and say he doesn't miss the chicken, cheese or sour cream at all (that's a homerun!).  I am pleased if everyone eats what I make,,,they don't have to love it, and I take into account strong preferences.  Go easy and a little at a time.

• Like 1

Did anyone mention Brinner?  Omelets, hash browns, pancakes, waffles, breakfast sandwiches, you name it.  The only time we really ate meat growing up was if we ate out on rare occasions (and then it was in chili), so I'm often confused by places people put meat (gravy? spaghetti????).  It just wasn't economic and my Mom didn't much like meat.  So I recommend thinking of meat as an ingredient like a spice or a side instead of the main course.  I'm not sure what to say about picky males who don't get filled by anything other than meat.  I think that will be the final nail in the financial coffin here, too. 

Some ideas that my carnivore dh and ds love:

Spanakopita

Lasagna

Brinner

Pasta bakes

Fish of any sort if you're just trying to cut down on beef & poultry

Taquitos with beans and avocado dipping sauce

Bean chimichangas

Quinoa pilafs

Split pea soup

French onion soup

Vegetable soup/Veggie Irish Stew with homemade wheat bread

Baked beans with deviled eggs and honeyed carrots on the side

White beans with sweet corn cake

Pizza

Veggie burgers

Latkes (try beet ones, too!)

Matzoh Ball soup

I have a veggie board here: https://www.pinterest.com/mommymilkies/vegetarian-meals/

Just made one of my favorite meat-free dinners tonight (and I am a big-time carnivore)....falafel!  It's filling and cheap.  I serve it in pitas with tzatziki sauce, with olives and hummus on the side, and salads.  It's great on a hot night, and really fills you up more than you'd think.

I'm hearing "We want meatless meals that taste exactly like our meat and potatoes meals." "Nothing weird" sounds like "nothing different." If your family is unwilling to make a change, you won't change. If they're willing to try new things and develop their palates you have a shot. If I wanted to go meatless, filling, and flavorful, I'd look at cultures that do it well and cook like them. Indian would be my first choice.

That said, change is not easy and I'd start small. Alter familiar meals gradually pushing meat to the side. Start with ethnic flavors your family likes. If they're good with tacos, maybe they'd go for veggie enchiladas . . . anything where the flavor comes from spices and not meat fat. Just make sure you get some complete proteins on the plate. Also, be prepared to weather some protests while people adjust.

I don't have it in me to be happily vegetarian, but days that involve falafel or veggie korma do not leave me unsatisfied.

• Like 7

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sounds like my house.

Soup and salad are courses, not meals by themselves.

Sandwiches are lunches maybe, but definitely not a dinner meal.

Eggs are for breakfast only (quiche included).

Pasta, some dishes he's ok with. Lasgana for example. But not too often.

It makes me crack up when I get those emails of suggested dinner menus and half the dinners are like sloppy joes, ceaser salad with chicken, soups, etc.

What *is* dinner then? Literally just meat with sides?

I don't see how chicken served on a bed of lettuce (ie a salad) is less filling than just plain chicken served next to a green? Isn't it the same difference? You can always add more proteins and fats to salads. A sloppy joe is just all meat and sauce on a bun. How is that less filling than meat and sauce served next to a bun? I really think it's often a matter of perception what people consider filling.

And darn it if you don't have me wanting a sloppy joe right now. ;).