Menu

S/O changing a tire: What stuff do you make your kids learn that others think is crazy?

The tire-changing thread is about some mom who believes all kids should be able to change car tires by the time they're 5yo, and whose 5yo supposedly can change tires. Anyone want to share what they make their kids learn that others think is either crazy in general, or just crazy for the ages the kids are?

Latin.

People think it is pretty crazy, except for on here. My 2yo burst into song in Latin at a birthday party recently (thank you SSL). He found it a very effective way to become the center of attention.

(and no, he isn't the one being taught, but has picked up most of the songs anyways)

• Like 11

People think it is pretty crazy, except for on here. My 2yo burst into song in Latin at a birthday party recently (thank you SSL). He found it a very effective way to become the center of attention.

I know of a man who spoke to his daughter exclusively in Latin. It apparently worked quite well until 5, whereupon she figured out the game and demanded that he "talk like Mommy talks!"

• Like 2

The tire-changing thread is about some mom who believes all kids should be able to change car tires by the time they're 5yo, and whose 5yo supposedly can change tires. Anyone want to share what they make their kids learn that others think is either crazy in general, or just crazy for the ages the kids are?

I don't think I have anything in that category.

• Like 1

Me, neither. I've been thinking it over since I noticed this thread but even my peculiars and esoterics are age-appropriate, possible, and traditional, falling under the category of "unusual family hobby" not "insane mother's wacky agenda."

I might just be very boring.  LOL

I make my kids be homeschooled.  Although neither have any desire to go to school.  Some people think that is crazy.

• Like 10

If anything, I heard these wild stories about kids doing crazy things at some bizarrely young age and tend to think I'd better get on the ball.

But then, I figure most of that is probably embellished, at the least. Seems like I run into a lot more of that kind of thing in the homeschooling community than I did in public school.

My 10yo thinks cleaning toilets is well above her maturity level, so there's that... :tongue_smilie:

• Like 4

If anything, I heard these wild stories about kids doing crazy things at some bizarrely young age and tend to think I'd better get on the ball.

But then, I figure most of that is probably embellished, at the least. Seems like I run into a lot more of that kind of thing in the homeschooling community than I did in public school.

My 10yo thinks cleaning toilets is well above her maturity level, so there's that... :tongue_smilie:

LOL Yep!

Although the previous story the family happens to deal in tires for a business.  So ahhh that explains it. 

• Like 2

My neighbors think I was an awful parent to even homeschool. They also thought I was warping my son when I allowed him to start Latin at 8 at his request. They also thought it was a crazy idea to let DD take an adult photography class.

But nothing that I think most people would see as crazy.

You need to get rid of your neighbors.  LOL

• Like 7

We started teaching ds money management at a young age. It was simple but intentional from when he was very young. Ex and I knew from bad experience how poor management could wreck your daily living. At 17, he has excellent money skills and recently turned down his first offered college loan. He didn't need it to cover his first year since he'll live at home. It was a decent amount and he has a long wish list, but he wants to avoid debt. 

• Like 4

We started teaching ds money management at a young age. It was simple but intentional from when he was very young. Ex and I knew from bad experience how poor management could wreck your daily living. At 17, he has excellent money skills and recently turned down his first offered college loan. He didn't need it to cover his first year since he'll live at home. It was a decent amount and he has a long wish list, but he wants to avoid debt. 

I do this too. My friend was shocked when I said my just turned 5yo was selling her outgrown toys to buy herself an American Girl doll. And even more shocked that I made dd split the profits with me 50/50 {I did all the selling portion, including all photos, meeting folks, etc - quite a bit of work}. DD sold enough toys in 2 months to buy the doll off ebay {yet another lesson in "buying used saves"}. DD {now almost 9} understands money wonderfully now, and that if you want to buy something & don't have the funds, there are ways to raise funds {including those outside of traditional jobs}.  

• Like 8

Ds had his own business (selling quick breads) at age 8.  He had earned enough to buy himself a desktop computer by age 9.  When he was 12, he gave his business to dd who was then 8.  She hasn't saved her money like he did so she doesn't have a computer yet, but she does all right.  

*Disclaimer - neither had a business license or a commercial kitchen and because they don't charge enough and dh and I subsidize the business (by buying many of the supplies), they are really just being reimbursed for costs by friends and family.  I say this because both were given opportunities to "go big" through bigger businesses who wanted to buy from them and we had to turn them down so as not to get in trouble with the law.  We want them to have this opportunity to learn how to do business while still being legal!  

I don't see this as crazy though.  Neither are operating commercial mixers or anything that would put them in danger.  

• Like 6

When ds was 3, I came out of the bathroom to find that he had gotten hold of a screwdriver or a wrench (I can't remember which, now) and had taken the entire railing off of our stairs.  But I didn't make him learn how to do that.  And I didn't try to make him learn how to put it back either.  I just did it.  

My son Robby was two and took apart his toddler rocking chair.  Not something I taught him and we moved all of the tools after that.  Just this Christmas (at 5.5 yo) his grandfather gifted him a set of real tools since he is old enough to know what he may build/take apart.

• Like 3

My son Robby was two and took apart his toddler rocking chair.  Not something I taught him and we moved all of the tools after that.  Just this Christmas (at 5.5 yo) his grandfather gifted him a set of real tools since he is old enough to know what he may build/take apart.

My ds will be 18 in less than a week and will probably be an engineer.  ;)  

• Like 3

Ds had his own business (selling quick breads) at age 8.  He had earned enough to buy himself a desktop computer by age 9.  When he was 12, he gave his business to dd who was then 8.  She hasn't saved her money like he did so she doesn't have a computer yet, but she does all right.  

*Disclaimer - neither had a business license or a commercial kitchen and because they don't charge enough and dh and I subsidize the business (by buying many of the supplies), they are really just being reimbursed for costs by friends and family.  I say this because both were given opportunities to "go big" through bigger businesses who wanted to buy from them and we had to turn them down so as not to get in trouble with the law.  We want them to have this opportunity to learn how to do business while still being legal!  

I don't see this as crazy though.  Neither are operating commercial mixers or anything that would put them in danger.  

I love stuff like this!  My son wants to open a business called "Robots, Robots, Robots."  Of course he wants to sell, I'll give you a second to guess... Robots.  I am not sure how he'll do this yet.  Maybe we'll make an etsy store.

• Like 4

How to shoot a .22, shotgun, and pistol. How to change the oil. How to drive a stick. How to mow, bale and pick hay. How to milk. How to back up a trailer. How to butcher a chicken. How to ski a double black. How to ride a horse. How to build a fence. How to roof. How to pull a calf or lamb. How to swim. How to lay out a frame wall. How to get a job. How to keep a job. How to drive a dump truck. How to put on tire chains. How to plow snow. 

Wait... is this a list of "which one does not belong"?  :)

• Like 1

I taught C how to light a match last winter. I'm going to guess some people would think that's crazy. I considered teaching B at the same time, but ended up deciding against that.

I taught C to use a regular swing when he was almost 18 months (well - with me pushing). At 18mo, I was pushing him as hard as any kid - he was amazing at holding on and he *loved* it. That got some stares from other parents. Ironically, he's only just now *beginning* to learn how to pump his legs so he doesn't need to be pushed (and I've given him plenty of opportunities to practice over the last few years).

I also walked 1 mile to the store and 1 mile back with him when he was about 18mo. I did own a stroller, but exercise is good. :) Most people seem to think toddlers can't walk that far.

• Like 3

I also walked 1 mile to the store and 1 mile back with him when he was about 18mo. I did own a stroller, but exercise is good. :) Most people seem to think toddlers can't walk that far.

I'm with you. My DD hiked up her first mountain at age 2.

Many people seemed to think the 0.8 mile walk to the elementary school was too far for a  5 y/o and stopped to offer us rides.

• Like 4

How to shoot a .22, shotgun, and pistol. How to change the oil. How to drive a stick. How to mow, bale and pick hay. How to milk. How to back up a trailer. How to butcher a chicken. How to ski a double black. How to ride a horse. How to build a fence. How to roof. How to pull a calf or lamb. How to swim. How to lay out a frame wall. How to get a job. How to keep a job. How to drive a dump truck. How to put on tire chains. How to plow snow. 

Margaret, can you adopt me, and teach me all that stuff?

• Like 6

When my then 4 year old picked up his butter knife and started buttering his roll one thanksgiving, SIL saw him and began screaming.

My 4yo sometimes puts peanut butter or nutella on his bread (with a knife). The only reason he doesn't do it every day is that he's still a little messy, and I don't always feel like putting up with that.

C and I peeled potatoes (with knives, not potato peelers) together last fall. Between school, TKD, swimming, homework, free play inside and outside, and chores we haven't gotten around to doing it more often. But yeah, my HFA 7yo who gets OT and PT and a 1-1 aide in school can wield a non-blunt knife under supervision.

Not allowing a 9yo to use a butter knife to butter his bread is a form of child neglect or something like that, imo.

Many parents do not want knife use. I have had several not want to do the Cub Scout knife safety program, which is intended for 9 year olds.

A butter knife is not a real knife though. You can't cut yourself with one even if you tried.

Also, I'd imagine most 9yos (especially boys) will develop a curiosity about knives if you don't let them use them, and will decide to try using one when you're not there to supervise if you don't allow knife use.

• Like 3

We have Give, Save, and Spend piggy banks. People think dh and I are crazy for having our 3 year old do some chores for money (EASY stuff...pick up your shirt and take it to the laundry, help me make her bed, carry a light bag of groceries into the house, help me pick up her toys). They think it's even crazier that we teach her to "budget" it; but for us, it's better to get her used to the routine early on instead of fighting it when she's older.  
To each their own, right? 

ETA: We don't pay for everything. Some things you just do because you are part of the family, but we set aside some things for pay so that we can instill good money habits early. 

• Like 6

Many parents do not want knife use. I have had several not want to do the Cub Scout knife safety program, which is intended for 9 year olds.

They'd have passed out with the knife freedom my parents gave me. I was constantly exploring the woods with my Swiss Army knife. It's a wonder I didn't chop something off. 

• Like 1

I don't know about crazy, but I spend time w/ my boys on the credit card bill. We buy a smoothie at Smoothie King -- or wherever -- and go home and look at the account online.

I also get to Good Will twice a month so they'll see how easy it is to furnish a life without spending a zillion dollars.

Yes, algebra is important -- I have a relative who's a math prof. in a Univ. and discusses why all the time -- but I think our education is badly lacking in basic economics. Which is one reason scam artists get away w/ so much.

I remember being a kid and begging my parents to show me stuff and their attitude was, "you'll pick it up when you're older."

They were right: but I was elderly by the time I "got it" and had lost a ton!

I also work really hard on manners/character. Not the parroting, "Yes, Ma'am" thing that I hear kids spit out like robots, but honest-to-goodness manners where they show concern and interest in the fast food worker, the neighbor etc.

Great thread!

Alley

• Like 2

Speaking of knives, my homeschool friends bought throwing knives for their daughter (and set up the appropriate wooden target board). Many might consider this crazy. We thought it was really cool - though I'm NOT prepared to do this for my boys. They wouldn't survive a week. ;)  For this particular family, it was simply a natural progression from all the other skill sets and safety rules they have had in place for years. We haven't laid this same foundation in our family, though we have other parallel ones.

• Like 3

I want my father in law to teach my sons how to make and use a slide rule. He still uses one as it is faster then a calculator for some equasions and it is a dying art. 

I would also have to lump German and Latin into that. Most people assume that you have to learn Spanish in this country but I don't want my children to learn it (I have reasons but don't want to go into it now). 

I also want my children (sons) to learn ballroom dancing, sewing, cooking and proper cleaning before they fly the nest. I think all of these will serve them well later in life. I told my older son the other day while I was working on something for him, that before he graduates high school I want him to sew at least one complete outfit for himself. Shouldn't be too hard for him. ;)

• Like 5

Things I teach my kids that my friends don't:

Math

Power tools

Laundry

Cooking - how to use stove, microwave, oven, etc.

Cooking - how to measure, mix, etc. It's amazing how many friends are excited to come over and make cookies or even mac and cheese.

... I just asked my 8 year old he gets to do that others don't - he also said math. I guess it's a poor perception when math ranks as something we teach that others don't.

• Like 3

My kids have a slightly unnatural exposure to theater and musicals in particular.  Part of that is because I really like it, but also because when I went off to college I had little to no working knowledge of the arts (and I was a theater major!).  I didn't know Phantom of the Opera (the big one at the time), I had not been in a large theater to see a live show, and I didn't know any of the "big names" in the arts world.  I try to take them to see a live show several times a year (although it is expensive!), and what we can't see live we watch on DVD.  

Right now we are watching West Side Story and learning about Romeo and Juliet, choreography, racial and ethnic stereotypes, discrimination, how law enforcement is portrayed, the idea of love at first sight, and how the gangs got their names.  ;)  I know none of this will be on the SATs, but we have had some of our best discussions after watching a musical.  (Except for the discussion about Potiphar's wife in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  I'm still scarred from that discussion…)   :huh:

• Like 2

Is an archery set for a 5-year-old's birthday count?  I was looking at one of the ones with a suction cup at the tip, but DH didn't have to work too hard to switch me to ones with genuine tips.  

She really wants one.   I blame the movie Brave.  You'd think after that movie they would have come out with a pink set.  

• Like 2

Well, there were things they did earlier than most.  Though, it depends on whom you ask whether I was crazy or not, because these are mostly unpopular but not unheard of.  At 1.5 they were out of diapers, used regular drinking cups and utensils, and walked to and from the park a hilly mile away.  They could dress themselves before age 2.  Tied shoes at 3/4.  Went to KG at 4.  Rode bikes at 4/5.  Stuff like that.

I always planned on teaching them all the household stuff early, like cooking, washing dishes, doing laundry.  The reality is that they have done a little here and there, but haven't really had responsibility for the whole process.  They are capable but I haven't pushed it.  They aren't even half grown yet, so we have time.  ;)

Going places and handling transactions alone is another thing that they should be able to do, but because we live far from even the closest corner store, and because people will call the cops on a kid walking down the street, they haven't done much of that.  Still, the one time I sent them to the park (alone together and I met them there) at 6, I got a lot of "you're crazy."  :/

Some people think I'm crazy to have them doing so many activities (but actually that keeps all of us sane).  Some think I'm crazy to afterschool / summerschool.  On the other hand, some probably think I'm crazy because I still usually help them wash and comb their hair.

I taught my kid sister to drive around a parking lot when she was 6yo.  But I would not exactly recommend that.  She also rode her bike to school "alone" (with young neighbor kids) on the first day of KG, age 5.  (Today my 8yos are unusual because they walk themselves to the corner bus stop. :/)  I also had my sister work in our used-book store, alone for short periods at 6 (after she proved she could do the math), and for a couple hours at age 8.  It was friendly, rural town and the store was walking distance from home, so no biggie.  Some people probably think that is crazy.  I couldn't do it today in the current environment of fear.

I'd like to give my kids a job in our business, but I haven't come up with something they could do on their own regularly.  I give them little jobs here and there.

• Like 1

Is an archery set for a 5-year-old's birthday count?  I was looking at one of the ones with a suction cup at the tip, but DH didn't have to work too hard to switch me to ones with genuine tips.  

She really wants one.   I blame the movie Brave.  You'd think after that movie they would have come out with a pink set.  

There is a pink set.  My dad bought it for my kids when they were 6/7.  Look up Lil Sioux.

• Like 1

Oh yeah - the experiences.  Again, unusual, not unheard of.  But some wouldn't dream of it.

My kids went to many live musicals and watched lots of them on video beginning at age 2.  Including some pretty heavy ones.  Someone mentioned West Side Story.  My kids had watched it on video and memorized the songs before they saw it in the theater at age 4.  Before that they had already seen some Rogers & Hammerstein and Andrew Lloyd Weber on both screen and stage.  They've also seen lots of muticultural dance and music performances on stage.

International travel.  My kids have visited dozens of countries on 4 continents so far.  We plan to add a 5th continent late this year or early next.

• Like 3

My kids have a slightly unnatural exposure to theater and musicals in particular.

We have, too, but I did not think anybody would find this crazy. maybe they would. I have taken my kids to live concerts and theatre since age 2-3, several times a year. I had to step out with one of them only once.

I myself watched my first live opera at age 5, with no adult with me in the audience. My mom was on stage singing the lead role.

We've also taken the kids to museums since toddlerhood. I still recall DD, in the backpack carrier, at 18 months, commenting on Rembrandt's Abduction of Ganymed. The painting shows a little boy who is carried away by an eagle; his face shows that he is very upset and crying (and he is peeing, too, LOL). DD could not yet speak in sentences, but she pointed at the painting and said "Kummer", the German word we use when somebody feels upset or has a sorrow. 

• Like 5

Yes, you can [cut yourself with a butter knife]. Ask me how I know. :001_rolleyes:

(Welcome to the world of a very clumsy person!)

We must own different butter knifes. I've tried before (before handing them to the kids), and didn't succeed, although I don't think I tried very hard. Anyway, I just went and gave it another good try. It hurt, but I didn't break my skin. I could maybe jab it between someone's ribs if I *needed* to hurt someone with it, but you could also do that with e.g. a pencil. I think a pencil is more dangerous than a butter knife, and not just in a "the pen is mightier than the sword" kinda way. :)

A good friend's youngest kid could independently — and I mean without any supervision whatsoever, no adults in the kitchen — prepare pancakes at age four. I don't think we have anything in that category either.

My daughter could follow a recipe and make banana bread on her own at age 5.  My boys were 10 before they could do that...

• Like 2

I didn't think this was so weird, but all my friends looked at me surprised when  I mentioned that my girls do all the grass cutting. They are 17 and 13, and as soon as they were tall enough to ride the mower, it became their job.

Maybe it's because they all live in subdivisions and their husbands do the 45 minutes a week mowing they have to do?

They have to learn to test electric fence too. And look for shorts in the wire.

They know what a normal birthing calf looks like so they can call for help if there;s a problem and how to check cows for heat.  They know what standing heat means.

• Like 3

I think DD got her first chef knife when she was about 5 or 6. She started riding a horse at 4. At 6 she started aerial dancing. The latter was to finally give her a safe venue for climbing (and I didn't discover the rock climbing place until after she started circus stuff; she enjoys rock climbing now too.). 

Now, at almost 11, she gave up horseback riding a few years ago because the barn was competitive, and she was not. She cooks with confidence, using the oven and stove. She's become obsessed and very skilled with circus arts and is attending advanced camps this summer.

I pay a lot of money to encourage my daughter to run away with the circus. I don't think that's very normal.

• Like 6

Ds was around 8 when he started doing half of the grocery shopping for me.  I could rip the list in half and he'd do half while I did the other half.  I did have to talk to the deli manager about how I expected them to serve him courteously like a normal customer.  I had people talk to me about how their college kids didn't know how to grocery shop.

Both my kids did the laundry at fairly young ages though I didn't really keep track of how old they are and can't remember now.  I had to teach my niece when she started college.  (Not just how to run my particular washer but how to do the laundry, period.)

Both used knives in elementary.  Again, I didn't pay attention to their ages.  

Both could make simple things like French toast, pancakes or fried/scrambled eggs in elementary.

They could mow the lawn around 11 or 12.  They had to be strong enough to control the mower confidently.  

Both walked a lot as toddlers.

I don't really remember ages for most things because I don't consider any of this a contest and let them do stuff as they, personally, were ready.  Some things might have been "early" and some things might have been "late".  

• Like 4

Things I teach my kids that my friends don't:

Math

Power tools

Laundry

Cooking - how to use stove, microwave, oven, etc.

Cooking - how to measure, mix, etc. It's amazing how many friends are excited to come over and make cookies or even mac and cheese.

... I just asked my 8 year old he gets to do that others don't - he also said math. I guess it's a poor perception when math ranks as something we teach that others don't.

I bought a basket for my just turned six year old last week.  He is doing his first load today.  It is in the dryer now.  Once it is finished I am going to have him take it all to his bedroom while still warm and we'll work on putting it all away together.  He will be learning how to do laundry and it will motivate me to actually put away the clothes.  :)

• Like 3