• 10-11
    • 12-13
    • 14-15
    • 16-17
    • only when they start driving
    • only when they start driving alone
    • never, it's a useless skill :-)
    • other

Had an interesting conversation yesterday. It ended with another mom.... Deleted (because while I believe what I wrote was true, isn't pertinent information.).... It left me thinking my expectations are unreasonable for my kids ages (and I don't really believe they are). So, at what age would you say a kid should learn to change a tire?

When they need it, i.e. when they start driving alone. Which is at age 16 (your poll only let me chose one or the other)

Why would a younger child need to know how to change a tire?

ETA: I assume you mean changing the wheel? Because, on a car, you can't change the actual tire without special equipment, you can only swap the entire wheel for the spare.

You can change a tire on a bike, and I would want my child to know this if he were biking longer distances.

• Like 6

If you mean a car tire, no later than the time they start driving.

I make my kids watch whenever I'm changing one.  I don't know that they need specific training; it's rather straightforward I think.  I know I didn't have to take a class in it.  :P

• Like 1

When they need it, so when they are learning to drive or a year or so before. I can't imagine why they would need it any earlier. If they are in the car when a tire is flat then there should be an adult who knows how to do it. So the adult doing it would be safer. Now teaching them where things needed for changing a tire is different. If they know where the spareand such they can make the job faster by getting the space out while you are taking off the wheel.

I voted 16-17, but we live in New Jersey, where the age for an unrestricted license is 18 (yup, 18).

When I got my license, the age requirement was 17. I think if we lived in another state with a lower age requirement (16? 17?), I might have voted 14-15, so there would be time to do training in stages -- observation/explanation, guided practice (hands-on, explicitly directing each step), supervised practice (expert adult watches, but only intervenes for safety reasons) -- before the driver needed to independently change a tire on the side of the highway.

Because, let's face it, when you get a flat tire (me, once, on a bridge) or run out of gas (my sister, twice), usually Dad isn't with you, and he isn't home when you call.

Figure it out, kid.

• Like 1

I said "only when they start driving," which for kids around here would be 15-16, which wasn't a choice on your poll.  But I disagree with the "only" part.  I actually think that's the *latest* they should learn--if that makes sense.

• Like 1

If they want to learn, great. I think they could potentially learn at 14 or so. But I believe in AAA so I voted useless. Honestly, the last three times we've needed to have a tire changed to the spare, AAA has come and done it so fast - in maybe about 30-45 minutes we're on our way again. And the last time dh did it, he stripped the lugnuts somehow and I told him no more - AAA every time.

• Like 14

I voted when they start driving. I know HOW to change a tire, but I don't feel comfortable doing it on my own. I have AAA for other reasons, but I'd call them if I needed to change one. I also do a lot of highway driving, so the odds are good it would happen on the highway. The shoulders are narrow enough that it would be dangerous to attempt there, although people do. 

I do agree it's a skill to learn though lower on our priority list than others. 

• Like 3

I voted for 12-13, though my 11yo (with competitive swimmer muscles) has done it. My teens wouldn't have had the strength before then. DH is a diagnostic auto technician and almost always has a project car in progress, so mine are exposed more than the average kid.

• Like 2

My mom taught me how to change a tire when I was 15.  When I was 18, a friend and I went on road trip to the other side of our state and we got a flat on the way home.  I knew how to change it, but the lugnuts were on so, so tight we were unable to get them off on our own.  We did have someone pull over and help us loosen the lugnuts.  We finished changing the tire once they left.  Then we had to find a garage (in an unfamiliar town) to put a full-size tire in place of the doughnut tire.  We survived and it was a really great story to tell for a long time, however, I believe that having an alternative (like AAA) would have been preferred in this situation.  So, yes, I'll teach them, but "knowing" how to change a tire may not be enough in all circumstances.  

eta:  I chose when they start to drive.  I will teach my kids how to change a tire, but I don't put much weight on it as a life skill.  We have road-side assistant that I would prefer my kids to use.  Where a family lives may have some bearing on when/if one learns how to change a tire.  City vs rural or the state's legal driving age.

If they want to learn, great. I think they could potentially learn at 14 or so. But I believe in AAA so I voted useless. Honestly, the last three times we've needed to have a tire changed to the spare, AAA has come and done it so fast - in maybe about 30-45 minutes we're on our way again. And the last time dh did it, he stripped the lugnuts somehow and I told him no more - AAA every time.

In all our years of driving, we had one single time that we needed to change a tire. So it's not like this happens frequently.

But we sometimes drive on back roads with no cell service and no other traffic for hours, possibly days. So, there would be no chance to even call AAA.

• Like 5

In all our years of driving, we had one single time that we needed to change a tire. So it's not like this happens frequently.

But we sometimes drive on back roads with no cell service and no other traffic for hours, possibly days. So, there would be no chance to even call AAA.

Honestly, the reason we often get flats is city driving. People leave all kinds of junk in our alley and on the streets. I've given up trying to do anything about it. We just assume that flats will happen. But that's also the reason that it's less likely that we'd ever be stranded somewhere and why it's so easy to have AAA come. The one time I had to wait a long time, I was on a highway in such a tight spot next to a construction area that I didn't feel comfortable changing the tire myself safely anyway. The AAA guy in the truck had to pull it in lane and block traffic.

• Like 1

I actually have no clue how to change a tire. We do have Geico roadside towing, which I have used before, though never for a flat tire. The one time we did get a flat tire we were camping and lucky for me dh was there to put on the spare.

ETA: I do think it would be something useful to learn around the time you learn to drive.

• Like 1

In the city, if our run flat tire is blown, we would still be able to drive to the nearest mechanic most of the time since we have plenty of Jiffy Lubes around.

Some of my aunts used to stay in rural areas where it would be easier to walk to their neighbors homes for help than to call AAA. So we (cousins) all learnt on a just in case basis.

Wow. I feel validated. This mom had me feeling completely inadequate that my 7 & 9 yo dds can't change a tire AND I have no intention in teaching them before they turn 12-13 (here, they will be driving by then. And even then, help will be really and immediately available as they won't be off the farm at those ages). She thinks this is a skill EVERY child should master by 5.

• Like 1

Wow. I feel validated. This mom had me feeling completely inadequate that my 7 & 9 yo dds can't change a tire AND I have no intention in teaching them before they turn 12-13 (here, they will be driving by then. And even then, help will be really and immediately available as they won't be off the farm at those ages). She thinks this is a skill EVERY child should master by 5.

I know mothers like that.

They're almost universally homeschooling moms. Their kids should be able to cook something in a pot of boiling water on the stove by age 2 (still in diapers, standing on a bar stool), change tires by age 5, hunt for dinner (with a .22) by age 8, tend to six younger siblings by age 10, cook for a family of 10 by age 12, and get an appropriate education and the opportunity to grow as an individual never.

Color me unimpressed.

• Like 11

She thinks this is a skill EVERY child should master by 5.

A bicycle tire is a possibility but not a car tire :)

At 5, I was probably shorter than the Toyota Tundra's tire. Two of my aunt's husband own tire shops and I used to sit inside a tire (without rim) when playing hide and seek.

• Like 1

We get flats so infrequently that if any of my kids are with me we will go through the motions, because that may be the only time they sewer it before they are driving independently. Chances are we will be done before AAA arrives.

If you've never had to do it, don't forget to look in your owner's manual. That is almost the only time I use the owner's manual. It walks you through it and usually has pictures.

The last time I had to do it was on the side of the highway, 12 years ago, pre-cellphone. You know how when you have an umbrella it never rains? Now I have a cell phone and AAA, no flats.

Yeah good for her.  Maybe her kids are amazing.  Whatever.  Don't worry about people telling you crap like that.  People exaggerate.

• Like 3

That is nuts. Most 5 y/o would not even be able to lift the spare out of the trunk.

Are you sure she did not mean a bicycle tire? (Even there, most 5 y/o would have trouble)

• Like 5

I find it hard to believe most 5 year olds can physically loosen lugnuts, operate a jack, and lift a tire off and on again. Does she just mean knowing the steps to change a tire? Yeah, I wouldn't spend another minute thinking about what goals she has for her children.

• Like 4

I find it hard to believe most 5 year olds can physically loosen lugnuts, operate a jack, and lift a tire off and on again. Does she just mean knowing the steps to change a tire? Yeah, I wouldn't spend another minute thinking about what goals she has for her children.

No. Must be able to do it.

:leaving: I don't know how to change a tire.

Okay, I more or less know, but I've never done it, nor closely watched anyone doing it. I've had a flat in a car once, which was so close to a tire store that I just drove there and had them fix it. I had a flat in a big rig once, which required much more driving to a repair place, but that's not a DIY thing, ever. I would've watched my wife when we got a flat in the never-ending HOV lane once, except we managed to pull it into one very small area where cars could still pass us in the HOV lane and it was my job to try to make sure no-one accidentally hit us (as in, pay attention and yell if someone was about to slam in our pickup). Oh, and my wife had a flat last winter very close to our house, so she drove home and then insisted on switching the wheel at 10pm in the dark when it was 10F outside. Yeah, I was not motivated enough to watch that, especially since she was in a foul mood.

• Like 1

Yeah good for her. Maybe her kids are amazing. Whatever. Don't worry about people telling you crap like that. People exaggerate.

I don't think her kid is extra amazing. I do think he's much more pleasant than he was several years ago :-). I think he's an average kid- doing great in some areas, needs work in others.

But, I DO believe he has changed many tires (parents work on tires as part of the at-home business) but I seriously can't imagine he's doing it unassisted.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention an age in my previous post. I'd be okay with my wife teaching my kids to change a tire from about 10+yo, if they're interested (depending on the kid). Younger than that and it seems like it'd be a safety risk etc. It'd be nice for them to learn before they start driving alone, BUT, I'd feel hypocritical making them learn, since I've never changed a tire, lol. Maybe I should learn how to change a tire.

I voted that it's useless.

I know how perfectly well, learned as a teen. However, the lug nuts are often machine-tightened enough that I can't get them off even when I stand on the wrench and jump up and down. And the last time I changed a tire (as a teen) I completely ruined the clothes I was wearing with grime and grease. I now have a AAA membership and believe it's the better choice.

• Like 2

However, the lug nuts are often machine-tightened enough that I can't get them off even when I stand on the wrench and jump up and down.

That's what my wife said, wrt a 5yo changing a tire. She can get the lug nuts loose, but it does involve standing on the wrench and jumping up and down, and she's like 200lbs. B, who'll turn 5 in 5 months, weighs about 45lbs fully dressed. I'd be shocked if he could get the lug nuts loose, and then just as shocked if he could tighten them enough after changing the wheel. Driving around with lug nuts tightened by a 5yo doesn't seem like the safest thing.

• Like 2

Add me to the don't really know how. Okay, I think I could do it. But I've never had to. And now, I wouldn't want to be doing so with 3 kids 5 and under with me. So, yeah, I'd be calling for help.

That being said, I wouldn't be at all shocked if our (almost) 5 yo knows the steps to changing tires. I doubt he's strong enough though. But he's is always helping DH with tractors, lawn mowers, cars, etc...so it wouldn't surprise me if he could tell me what to do.

I am sure DH will make sure all our kids know before they drive. 

They should probably at least know how by the time they're driving.

But seriously, when is it EVER going to come up that there's a flat tire and the five year old is the only one around to change it? In that situation, I'm thinking that the flat is the LEAST of your concerns!

• Like 10

While I know how to change a tire, I've never been able to get the nuts undone, so it's roadside rescue for me every time.  I guess if a kid were interested I'd show them from 10 or so, but I honestly wouldn't want anyone younger messing around with jacks, etc.  I'd like them to know what they're doing by the time they're driving on their own.

No way my 5 year old (or 7 or 9 yo) could lift a tire to change it.  And changing  a tire is potentially dangerous.  If you don't put the jack in the correct place, the car can fall.  And what young child is alone with a car and needs to change it anyway?  That's bizarre.

• Like 3

I don't think her kid is extra amazing. I do think he's much more pleasant than he was several years ago :-). I think he's an average kid- doing great in some areas, needs work in others.

But, I DO believe he has changed many tires (parents work on tires as part of the at-home business) but I seriously can't imagine he's doing it unassisted.

Ah well then that explains it.  They are certainly in a unique position.  I wouldn't even have anything to have my kids practice on.

I'm good at a lot of things and I enjoy learning how to do things, but there are still some things I'm happy to have someone else do.  Tires is one of them. 

I don't have a car, that's why I answered "other". It obviously isn't a useless skill, but it is not a skill I can teach and not one that is useful to us right now. I have honestly never thought about this but I figure the kids can look it up online, or something, if they ever need the skill. They do know how to navigate the public transport system in our city pretty well, meaning they know how to get to places they go to fairly often in various ways.

Which is something my kids don't know how to do because it's not useful to them right now.  I have no doubt they could figure it out if it became useful.

• Like 1

My dc can change the tires they need to change right now (LEGO ones). When they are big and strong enough to be more of a help than a hindrence, they can learn to change the tires of the vehicles they will need to (e.g., lawn tractor, car, van, etc.). I could show them how to do this now, but what would be the point? It's a great skill to learn how to do safely. Our neighbour just did a big ol' oopsie by using 2 jacks and taking off 2 wheels at once. The vehicle did collapse, and fortunately NOT on him.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who believes that pulling over to the side of a busy road and lifting a heavy car (which could easily roll off the jack and injure) is a high risk business that should be left to the experts?  Fifty bucks and 30 minutes later, I'm on my way, sounds like a better deal to me.  I don't want my kids changing their own tires.  I don't even want them standing at the side of the road.  

But I certainly won't begrudge whatever you believe is in the best interests of your children to learn.  That's why we all homeschool, and I respect your right to decide what's best for your kids.  (Maybe tow trucks aren't a dime a dozen in your area?)

My dc can change the tires they need to change right now (LEGO ones). When they are big and strong enough to be more of a help than a hindrence, they can learn to change the tires of the vehicles they will need to (e.g., lawn tractor, car, van, etc.). I could show them how to do this now, but what would be the point? It's a great skill to learn how to do safely. Our neighbour just did a big ol' oopsie by using 2 jacks and taking off 2 wheels at once. The vehicle did collapse, and fortunately NOT on him.

Yeah unless you are able to have them practice all the time from now until then, they'd probably forget if they don't use it for a long time.

Kinda like, I could show my kids how to do the taxes now, but if they won't do taxes for another several years it seems pointless.  It doesn't take all that much to learn certain basic things.

• Like 2

Am I the only one who believes that pulling over to the side of a busy road and lifting a heavy car (which could easily roll off the jack and injure) is a high risk business that should be left to the experts?  Fifty bucks and 30 minutes later, I'm on my way, sounds like a better deal to me.  I don't want my kids changing their own tires.  I don't even want them standing at the side of the road.  

But I certainly won't begrudge whatever you believe is in the best interests of your children to learn.  That's why we all homeschool, and I respect your right to decide what's best for your kids.  (Maybe tow trucks aren't a dime a dozen in your area?)

It's a lot more than 50 bucks . But that's why I have road side.

I do agree there could be some situations where it would be dangerous.  Last 2 times I had a flat it would not have been dangerous.  I still had no desire to do it!

(Maybe tow trucks aren't a dime a dozen in your area?)

I don't know of the rest of your past was directed at me, so I'll just comment about the last. It would cost a several hundred for me to call a tow truck at my house. If I was in town, the tow would be free, the local companies would just charge for the repair. If you are on the country, this is a vital skill EVERY driver should know. There are too many areas without cell reception and many miles of road that aren't traveled. (It's 20 miles to town, and I seldom see another vehicle on the road)

I don't know of the rest of your past was directed at me, so I'll just comment about the last. It would cost a several hundred for me to call a tow truck at my house. If I was in town, the tow would be free, the local companies would just charge for the repair. If you are on the country, this is a vital skill EVERY driver should know. There are too many areas without cell reception and many miles of road that aren't traveled. (It's 20 miles to town, and I seldom see another vehicle on the road)

This is definitely a factor.  I live literally a few houses over from tow places. They are everywhere.  I live in a city.

I once had a flat in winter.  From the time I called to the time they came out and did the job it couldn't have all taken more than 30 minutes.  I doubt "I" could have changed it that quickly unless I happened to have had a lot of practice.

But if I lived far from everything, I probably would be more interested in knowing how to do some of these things.

• Like 1