Menu

I need perennials that spread, are maintenance free, and grow faster than weeds.

J-rap

yarrow and coreopsis

Coreopsis is great but it's short-lived here: maybe two or three years then it dies for no discernible reason.  I don't know if that is the same in all climates.  Yarrow is good.  Depending on the climate, looking up 'prairie planting' might help the OP - lots of very tough plants that spread well.

Oh - Monarda/bergamot spreads like crazy here too.

• Like 1

What area of the country do you live in? What kind of sun does it get? Full? Partial? Shade? 

We're up north.  Looks like we're mostly in zone 4a and 4b.  We get a mix of everything throughout our yard, as far as sun and shade.

Coreopsis is great but it's short-lived here: maybe two or three years then it dies for no discernible reason.  I don't know if that is the same in all climates.  Yarrow is good.  Depending on the climate, looking up 'prairie planting' might help the OP - lots of very tough plants that spread well.

Oh - Monarda/bergamot spreads like crazy here too.

Thanks!  I'll look up prairie planting.  We're in north country, with long cold winters -- but definitely prairie land!

• Like 1

water matters - some are thirsty, some do well with drought.

some like poor soil, some are picky.

some do well on hills, other's flat.

what's is it like where you want to plant?

ground covers

snow-in-summer/ cerestum.

Siberian sedum (drought tolerant, hardy to -20, does well in full sun)

lady's mantel 

lambs ear.

dianthus

mint

lemon balm

what you may want are things that will spread freely via seed as well.

snapdragons

California poppy

Labrador violets

daisies (English, Shasta, etc.)

hardy geranium

some I've had better luck buying  a plant - and the plant will sow seed for me . . . .

• Like 1

Beware of mint and lemon balm; you will never, ever be rid of that stuff. Those are container-only plants for me!

I have a lot of:

Lamb's ear (also tenacious, but not so bad as mint or lemon balm. Good ground cover--I cut back or rip out the flower stalks and keep it low to the ground)

Yarrow

Echinacea/coneflower (perennial, but also spreads very well by self-sowing if you let the flowers dry on the stalk)

Lavender

Sedum

Salvias

Hardy, easy roses ("knockout" roses)

Iris

Daylillies

Coral bells

Catmint (not a regular mint, at least the variety I have. Clumping, not spreading)

All of this grows in partial shade for me, though many would be labeled full sun.

• Like 4

Depends on your climate.  In southern Virginia, we are hot in summer and relatively mild winter.  Rosemary is perennially green and grows like a weed here; hosta if you have shade.  Mint grows well here also.  If it's flowers you want, garden phlox are beautiful spring bloomers, and lantana are good partial shade plants. 

• Like 1

It depends on what you're okay with. I'm okay with a whole yard of strawberries, clover, rosemary, and sage, surrounding the bushes. But we'll never get rid of it.

I used to love chewing mint leaves as a child. I'm not that old--this was in the eighties.

Clover does fill things in nicely and brings the bees.

• Like 1

I'm experimenting with rupturewort "green carpet." It's a green, non-grass ground cover. So far I've planted the worlds tiniest seeds in flats and they have now sprouted. If I can keep them alive, my next step is to put them in the ground to see if they make it. I'm attempting to make my sloped front yard green but eliminate the need to mow.

• Like 1

I was googling this a few weeks ago. I came across a site that finished the description of what you and I want. Once it quickly fills the area, it will stop growing so fast and behave well. That plant doesn't exist but it would be really nice if it did. That's why you're getting warnings on some of the fast growing plants.

FWIW, I got free mulch from the power company to fill my problem area. It sounds like you need a different solution though.

• Like 1

I tried that in one part of my yard as a new gardener. Oy! The weeds still grow through the good plants and the good plants become weeds themselves. That whole area just looked like a big old mess. Ack! Now this is how I deal with problem spots that I don't really want to maintain much. (It's not organic, but it is fast)

Mow area(if appropriate) then spray round up all over the area to kill the weeds. Follow the directions on how long before you should plant in that area. Mine is just a day or so I think. Then add soil if it needs it which it probably will. Shade - plant daffodils, hostas and ferns. I love autumn ferns. Put lots of layers of newspaper all over the area. area. Soak it. Mulch it. Throw preen over all of it. In your zone all of those will die down so you can easily round up the weeds each fall and early spring. Hostas can be divided to make more and fill in. The area will look tidy and need very little maintenance (cutting back dead leaves is about it. And if you don't do that it still won't hurt the plants.)

Sun - knock out roses, black eyed Susan's, purple coneflower, and butterfly bushes are pretty, easy to find, inexpensive and low maintenance.

• Like 2

water matters - some are thirsty, some do well with drought.

some like poor soil, some are picky.

some do well on hills, other's flat.

what's is it like where you want to plant?

. .

Our ground is flat and the soil seems clumpy and old.  (I'm not sure how else to describe it...)  We get lots of rain in the spring, hot and humid summers, and long frigid winters... 

Well if you're 4A/4B area that's my area too.  Here's a nice post on native plants we used to start a butterfly garden (which we started a number of years ago and haven't touched since - super easy).  It's especially great if you're actually in MN because it has suppliers.  :)

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/gardens/nativeplants/index.html

Thanks!  I'll check that out.  Sounds interesting!