Menu

Do comfortable high heels exist?

Sarah CB

I don't have cute or dainty feet.  And I really like wearing Birkenstocks and Keens and Converse.  But, sometimes I need to wear heels and I don't think it should be some kind of painful torture, should it?

I would like to find a pair of heels that look beautiful but don't kill my feet.  Is there such a thing?

• Like 1

No.

(answer to the question)

Low heels is a different question.  Yes, there are comfortable low-heeled shoes that do not look like strapped-on-bricks.

Really?  How do people who wear heels every day survive?  I was at a function last night.  We walked one block from where we parked to the hotel.  Then I stood around for almost an hour during cocktail hour.  As soon as we sat down at the table I kicked my shoes off.  They went back on for the very painful walk back to the car.  I could not wait to get out of those shoes.  

I would prefer medium-high.  I could go with a  low heel with a floor length dress, but want to wear something higher with anything shorter.

• Like 1

You might try a shoe with a platform under the front of the foot such that the angle of incline (I don't know the proper term) is lower than it otherwise would be with a nice heel height.

Generally, I think there's an element of usage involved in becoming comfortable in high heels.  Muscles used are different.  (Eta, I almost always have the same experience as you describe above, with the painful walk back to the car.  I must look ridiculous.  That said, some high heel shoes are more comfortable than others - I have my favorites.)

• Like 1

Yes, I have finally found some.  I, too, tend towards flats (love my Keens and Merrills).  I have found that Joseph Seibel and Born often have fashionable heels that are more comfortable than any others.  One of my favorite pairs of dress shoes are from Seibel and I have a couple Born as well.

http://www.bornshoes.com/ViewAll.aspx?GenderID=8&CategoryID=120&PageNo=1

*Note:  I don't go in for the super tall, spiky heels :)  I look for 2-3 inch (max) and I like a chunkier heel even for dressy occasion. Our Dillards has a huge selection of women's shoes and I can always find something comfortable if I'm willing to spend a lot of money

Yes, I have finally found some.  I, too, tend towards flats (love my Keens and Merrills).  I have found that Joseph Seibel and Born often have fashionable heels that are more comfortable than any others.  One of my favorite pairs of dress shoes are from Seibel and I have a couple Born as well.

http://www.bornshoes.com/ViewAll.aspx?GenderID=8&CategoryID=120&PageNo=1

*Note:  I don't go in for the super tall, spiky heels :)  I look for 2-3 inch (max) and I like a chunkier heel even for dressy occasion. Our Dillards has a huge selection of women's shoes and I can always find something comfortable if I'm willing to spend a lot of money

There were a few pairs I liked from the Born link - thank you!  Those would work for most of the kinds of events I'd be going to.  All except the most formal, which I guess I may just have to suffer through...

• Like 1

Yes, but they cost a fortune.

How much of a fortune?  I'm at a point where I think I'd be ok spending a lot of money on a black pair of heels that hopefully could be worn for a number of years.  I'm not fussy about wearing the same pair of shoes to every event - I just want to find a pair that is stylish and at least not horribly painful.

• Like 1

Generally, I think there's an element of usage involved in becoming comfortable in high heels.  Muscles used are different.  (Eta, I almost always have the same experience as you describe above, with the painful walk back to the car.  I must look ridiculous.  That said, some high heel shoes are more comfortable than others - I have my favorites.)

I was hoping no one would say that.  If that's the case then heels will always be painful because I won't ever wear them every day.  

First of all, flats can absolutely be formal and fashionable. Audry Hepburn wore them on the red carpet so they can't be all that bad, right? Just yesterday I saw a pic of her in formal dress with flats, and of course now I can't find it.  A kitten heel always looks nice. I can pull off four inch heels with a platform but I often find a kitten heel shoe to be more attractive.

What part of heels do you find uncomfortable?  Do they bother your back? The balls of your feet?  Pinch your toes? Don't support your arch? If it's your back, then you need a lower heel or maybe a stronger core? If it is your feet then you can buy pads to put in your shoes. If they pinch then maybe they don't fit? Or maybe your feet swell over the course of the evening? I am not sure what can be done about that.

Often the problem is cheaper shoes. They don't have enough padding to be comfortable. On top of that, as we age, the balls of our feet lose their fat pad, and our feet get more sensitive to pressure. Believe it or not, women who  move in such circles have filler injected into the balls of their feet to help them deal with high heel shoes!

Naturalizer is a brand that claims to be comfortable, Aerosoles, Clarks, Rockport all say they make comfortable heels. They will all run you close to 100$ though.

And sometimes it is just practice. It is work to walk around in heels and it uses muscles in a way that is different (and unnatural!) from every day walking around. It tires you out.  I find that it helps to have some 'every day' heels to wear or I get out of practice.

Honestly, I am glad I don't wear heels that often. My SIL had an astonishing shoe collection. She loves fashion and has the money to indulge. She is paying the price now, with foot surgery and constant pain. As she moves into her 60s she is going to find her life quite constrained by pain, which will lead to lack of movement, which will lead to other health ills. She is already starting to gain weight because she has been forced to become more sedentary.

First of all, flats can absolutely be formal and fashionable. Audry Hepburn wore them on the red carpet so they can't be all that bad, right? Just yesterday I saw a pic of her in formal dress with flats, and of course now I can't find it.  A kitten heel always looks nice. I can pull off four inch heels with a platform but I often find a kitten heel shoe to be more attractive.

What part of heels do you find uncomfortable?  Do they bother your back? The balls of your feet?  Pinch your toes? Don't support your arch? If it's your back, then you need a lower heel or maybe a stronger core? If it is your feet then you can buy pads to put in your shoes. If they pinch then maybe they don't fit? Or maybe your feet swell over the course of the evening? I am not sure what can be done about that.

Often the problem is cheaper shoes. They don't have enough padding to be comfortable. On top of that, as we age, the balls of our feet lose their fat pad, and our feet get more sensitive to pressure. Believe it or not, women who  move in such circles have filler injected into the balls of their feet to help them deal with high heel shoes!

Naturalizer is a brand that claims to be comfortable, Aerosoles, Clarks, Rockport all say they make comfortable heels. They will all run you close to 100$ though.

And sometimes it is just practice. It is work to walk around in heels and it uses muscles in a way that is different (and unnatural!) from every day walking around. It tires you out.  I find that it helps to have some 'every day' heels to wear or I get out of practice.

Honestly, I am glad I don't wear heels that often. My SIL had an astonishing shoe collection. She loves fashion and has the money to indulge. She is paying the price now, with foot surgery and constant pain. As she moves into her 60s she is going to find her life quite constrained by pain, which will lead to lack of movement, which will lead to other health ills. She is already starting to gain weight because she has been forced to become more sedentary.

It's definitely my feet that hurt and it's not exactly a pinching feeling, more like pain throughout the foot - I guess mostly in the ball of the foot but also in the arch and across the top of the foot.  This has been a great thread and I have a few different pairs I'm looking at right now.  I have limited shopping opportunities where I am now, but will be able to do some shopping in July - it's nice to know what to look for.  If I don't find it in July I'll order something online.  I'm glad there may be some hope of having a dressy shoe that won't leave me hobbling back to the car at the end of the night.  

It's definitely my feet that hurt and it's not exactly a pinching feeling, more like pain throughout the foot - I guess mostly in the ball of the foot but also in the arch and across the top of the foot.  This has been a great thread and I have a few different pairs I'm looking at right now.  I have limited shopping opportunities where I am now, but will be able to do some shopping in July - it's nice to know what to look for.  If I don't find it in July I'll order something online.  I'm glad there may be some hope of having a dressy shoe that won't leave me hobbling back to the car at the end of the night.  

that sounds like the muscles in your foot are just plain rebelling at being forced to maintain that shape. I can't say I disagree with them.  If you really need to wear the heels, absolutely get a nicer pair that is made for comfort, but make sure to wear them at home a little bit to get your feet used to the idea.

Born and Sofft are the most comfortable brands for me.  I also try to stay on the low side of 'high'.  2 1/2 inches is about my limit.

Those two brands have some flats that are so cute that I sometimes use them where heels would normally be called for, and although they are not quite up to par, they are close enough to feel inconspicuous.  Earthies is another brand that has extremely comfortable and more stylish than most flat formal shoes.

I hate painful women's shoes. It makes the feminist side of me come roaring out.

I wore some new sandals the other day and they rubbed my feet in 5 different places until they bled. So I put on socks with those sandals. Socks with sandals! That's the #1 shoe fashion faux pas, but people--those socks felt great with the shoes.

I don't care how ridiculous I look, I'm going to continue wearing socks with the sandals. I'm tired of suffering just because someone made up some stupid rule about what things women should wear. I honestly don't see children or men suffering for fashion and I think it's ridiculous. We weren't plopped down here on this earth to put little torture devices on our feet and I'm not going to do it anymore!

Feminist rant over.

They absolutely exist and dont have to cost a fortune.  i adore heels and have been wearing them since i was 14.  i have certainly suffered through my share of heels that are wrong for my feet.  its true that they have to be well made and preferably leather and certain expensive brands are best for comfort.  But bargains can be had.  Yesterday i got a cute, strappy pair of Naturalizer heels for 29.99 at Famous Footwear.  I walked around the store a lot to make sure there were no pressure points in painful places and the front ball of my foot. I take a lot of time with them before buying them.  Sometimes i remedy a thing or two with gel inserts under the ball of my foot...usually for my 4 inch heels because of the tilt.  the gel inserts are made to go under the entire foot as well, or behind the heel.  Usually much less necessary with a better made shoe.  Except for my super funky-shaped feet and weird toes.  

I cant afford to shop for anything expensive without a serious bargain.  For my latest naturalizers, i double checked on amazon before i bought them (ive scored amazing deals on expensive shoes there after going to a store, choosing a shoe and size that ive determined will work nicely) and then i check my rewards status in the store im in.  I have reward cards and points building at every store that offers one! lol  For Famous Footwear, I had $15 in rewards sitting there so my 79.99 pair of shoes that were on sale for $44 was now 29.99.  That is my threshold for price or i walk, unless they are a must for a specific event.  My closet is stuffed with expensive heels that i didnt pay much for.  I have a ton of less comfy shoes, too, but mentally i have categorized them as 1-hr, 2-hour, 4-hr or 5+ hour shoes.  

Im going to an annual 3 day convention in 2 weeks (in heels from 8 am till around 7 pm) and it is usually the truest test of heels that are comfy for me.  My newest Naturalizers passed the test and are going.  A squishy pair of blue patton leather Madden Girls are going, too.  They were at Ross for 24.99.  

check this link out.  

http://www.famousfootwear.com/en-US/_/_/_/Dress+Shoes/Srch0+naturalizer/Products.aspx

the shoes i bought were the Naturalizer Dafny dress sandal and there are other dressier ones there, too.  The Danya dress sandal was comfy, too and looks like it would go nice with a cocktail dress and are only 39.99!  I wanted both but stuck to my "under 30" resolve.

Another huge plus of buying better brands is that they last.  the reason my shoe collection is so big is because i never have to toss junky shoes and the leather looks nice forever.  in fact i usually end up taking them to get the rubber heel portion on the bottom replaced from years of wear (that part grinds away) before the shoe itself ever wears out.  i wear heels 4 times a week for 4+ hrs at a stretch so they get some use!  so yeah, it willl be more of a hassle to find a deal on high quality, comfy shoes, but its worth the time!  

Really? How do people who wear heels every day survive? I was at a function last night. We walked one block from where we parked to the hotel. Then I stood around for almost an hour during cocktail hour. As soon as we sat down at the table I kicked my shoes off. They went back on for the very painful walk back to the car. I could not wait to get out of those shoes.

I would prefer medium-high. I could go with a low heel with a floor length dress, but want to wear something higher with anything shorter.

Well, practice, and also I switch shoes frequently (my Louboutins have never been outside, I don't think, and that's not because I'm protective of them...)

I bought a pair of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earth-Tamarack-Womens-Size-9-Black-Leather-Pumps-Heels-Shoes-/381230240652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58c317d38c

slightly larger, and put a little piece of stick-on cushioning between the ball of my foot and my toes.  It keeps my feet from sliding further into the shoe and squishing my toes. (since my middle toe is longest, instead of my big toe, and isn't strong enough to stop all my weight from going further,)  The shoes are much comfier than any other heels I've ever tried, even before the little cushion.  (I got the idea from a shoe at LLBean, but it's not in all of them.)

Clark's Indigo line are also comfier than most 

You might also try these:

http://www.insolia.com/#benefits-1

They are inserts you stick on the insole that shifts your weight back to evenly distributed between the ball and heel (instead of all on the ball of your foot)

I suggest a "platform" pump if that's the style you need (pump).  The angle from foot to heel is not so severe.  Like these: http://www.amazon.com/Clarks-Delsie-Bliss-Platform-Leather/dp/B00HRBLI3S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1432300465&sr=8-7&keywords=black+platform+pump+shoe

Also make sure the shoe is wide enough for late evening wear when your foot has expanded (get a wide shoe or 1/2 size bigger).

I read this article recently.  Her shoes are expensive, but maybe that is one of things that make them comfortable.  I am going to try some of her ideas next time I need a pair of heels.

http://easypetitelooks.com/2015/04/how-to-make-your-heels-comfortable.html

another article on comfortable heels

http://easypetitelooks.com/2014/10/surprisingly-comfortable-pointy-toe-pumps.html

I have these and I love them.

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/abella+vanessa+pump?prodId=280958

The shoe is high-but-not-too-high, the toe is adequately padded, and the heel isn't pencil thin. I think a wider heel really helps with comfort. These are my go-to shoes for events that will last a while or involve walking in the city. I think it helps greatly that I have strong feet and high arches.

I swear by character shoes, having danced all my life. And I'm told they look elegant on me. Of course, I don't go to really fancy functions .. & since the soles are leather, they're made for wooden floors, not streets. I still wear them outside, and to any fancy events I go to. Plus, I can dance in them (ballroom dance) for hours! :)

There are shoes that are comfortable for high heels, but for me there are not high heels that are as comfortable as not wearing high heels.  

I used to wear heels all the time.  I was convinced I was too short or something (note I am 5'9" so that was ridiculous).  I didn't buy cheap shoes.  I still maintain that these "comfortable heels" were truly not anything approaching actual comfort.  

One thing for me was the pain AFTER I took the shoes off.  The higher the heel the worse this pain.  When I started skating, I could no longer ignore the toll to my feet and calves.  

My dress shoes are flats these days.  I might try a low heel again but yanno, there's a lot to be said for laceless converse.  

• Like 1

I live in my chaco's, running shoes, or merrel's (a slip on shoe).  I am not a heel person.  But for fun I tried on a pair of Tsubo's.  They were a high (at least 3", maybe more) heel.  They felt amazing.  Like, I could have done a jog through the store in them.  They also cost $180 I believe.  So apparently, if you pay enough, you can get heels that feel great. 

I live in my chaco's, running shoes, or merrel's (a slip on shoe).  I am not a heel person.  But for fun I tried on a pair of Tsubo's.  They were a high (at least 3", maybe more) heel.  They felt amazing.  Like, I could have done a jog through the store in them.  They also cost $180 I believe.  So apparently, if you pay enough, you can get heels that feel great. 

I owned Tsubos and Fluevogs and other moderately to very expensive heels and still, the toll to the calves and such?  Some feel nice for an hour or more.  But a whole day?  Still spelled pain, at least for me. Not comfortable compared to flats.  

I swear by character shoes, having danced all my life. And I'm told they look elegant on me. Of course, I don't go to really fancy functions .. & since the soles are leather, they're made for wooden floors, not streets. I still wear them outside, and to any fancy events I go to. Plus, I can dance in them (ballroom dance) for hours!  :) 

What are character shoes?

I swear by character shoes, having danced all my life. And I'm told they look elegant on me. Of course, I don't go to really fancy functions .. & since the soles are leather, they're made for wooden floors, not streets. I still wear them outside, and to any fancy events I go to. Plus, I can dance in them (ballroom dance) for hours! :)

Ditto for ballroom heels. They're beautiful, sturdy, comfortable, and you can 'feel' the floor with your feet. However, the bottom isn't made for walking out of doors. I've been known to bring them to weddings and slip them on once inside.

To the poster who asked, character shoes are heels for dancers. http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/shoes/character-shoes/page1?s_kwcid=TC%7C17778%7Ccharacter%20shoes%7C%7CS%7Cb%7C13225558035&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyoCrBRCl-aa97pKX_t8BEiQAbrs_9HoQ1eMURbAlPvARS6ER3y_DDo-5TYl-AU7mOE8KlaMaAhYB8P8HAQ

• Like 1

I owned Tsubos and Fluevogs and other moderately to very expensive heels and still, the toll to the calves and such?  Some feel nice for an hour or more.  But a whole day?  Still spelled pain, at least for me. Not comfortable compared to flats.  

I didn't buy them, so I have no idea how they would feel after wearing them all day.  I do not wear heels.  I have always found them odd and dangerous (because they do cause damage to your body).  

I didn't buy them, so I have no idea how they would feel after wearing them all day.  I do not wear heels.  I have always found them odd and dangerous (because they do cause damage to your body).  

I was literally forced to give them up if I wanted to keep skating.  Wheels on my feet beats shooting pain in my legs.  :P  Some people on Freecycle got very lucky.  

Ditto for ballroom heels. They're beautiful, sturdy, comfortable, and you can 'feel' the floor with your feet. However, the bottom isn't made for walking out of doors. I've been known to bring them to weddings and slip them on once inside.

To the poster who asked, character shoes are heels for dancers. http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/shoes/character-shoes/page1?s_kwcid=TC%7C17778%7Ccharacter%20shoes%7C%7CS%7Cb%7C13225558035&gclid=Cj0KEQjwyoCrBRCl-aa97pKX_t8BEiQAbrs_9HoQ1eMURbAlPvARS6ER3y_DDo-5TYl-AU7mOE8KlaMaAhYB8P8HAQ

Thanks for posting the link! I've been too busy to post. In fact, I'm leaving in 10 minutes to go ballroom dancing for 3+ hours tonight -- in my character shoes. Which I buy from Discount Dance Supply, of course. :)

Character shoes always have straps across the top of your foot -- either T-strap or Mary Jane type. This is so if you feel inspired to do any high kicks, the shoe won't fly off your foot. :)

I happen to love that retro look, but it's not for everyone. KungFuPanda, do ballroom heels always have straps? Are they different from "character shoes"?

Thanks for posting the link! I've been too busy to post. In fact, I'm leaving in 10 minutes to go ballroom dancing for 3+ hours tonight -- in my character shoes. Which I buy from Discount Dance Supply, of course. :)

Character shoes always have straps across the top of your foot -- either T-strap or Mary Jane type. This is so if you feel inspired to do any high kicks, the shoe won't fly off your foot. :)

I happen to love that retro look, but it's not for everyone. KungFuPanda, do ballroom heels always have straps? Are they different from "character shoes"?

You know, I have no idea. I'm not a ballroom dancer and I just have the one pair. I needed to dance in heels and I was afraid street shoes would slip on the stage, so I tried ballroom shoes. (Generally, I perform barefooted and rehearse in ballet slippers.) They don't slip, but you can still turn easily. They're also much more flexible than regular heels and they are just soooo pretty and sparkly :-)

• Like 1

Generally, I think there's an element of usage involved in becoming comfortable in high heels.  Muscles used are different. 

I agree. When I wore them regularly for work I never found them uncomfortable unless I happened to buy a pair that didn't fit properly. I haven't worn high heels in years except for the occasional event, usually a wedding. Every time, I say that I can no longer wear heels. I think it's really that I'm no longer used to wearing them. If I had to, I could probably get used to wearing them again. Fortunately I don't have to.