Menu

"What is that meat, is it barf???"

trulycrabby

...just sharing DS11's words about my barbeque chicken... :zombie:

DH was of course very helpful: "Barfeque?"

DS11: "Tastes like blown chunks, Dad!"

My likely response:  "Congratulations, honey.  You've now been promoted to Chef de Maison."

Then I'd go cry.

:grouphug:

• Like 7

Yeah, that was rude. I would go on a cooking strike - well, I'd feed myself and the 4yo. She'd probably defend me and say I and my chicken were perfect. Actually, I've done that before. They now know that silence or constructive criticism is acceptable.

• Like 5

I just laughed, because it really was very good. Williams Brothers and chicken, can't go wrong, unless you're DS11 and hate barbecue. :zombie:

Whew! Glad your feelings weren't hurt.

But maybe his handwriting sentences could include, "This is not really my favorite, but thank you for making it for me."  "I am indeed a fortunate child to have you as my devoted and patient parent" would be another option. ;)

• Like 20

If the child had difficulty navigating social situations, I would explain how rude his words were and would model other words for him to use.  If he is NT, then he would have been excused from the table immediately because heaven forbid I force him to be around something so gross.  It would not make me cry.  It would make me angry.  And I think justifiably.  

• Like 9

But maybe his handwriting sentences could include, "This is not really my favorite, but thank you for making it for me." "I am indeed a fortunate child to have you as my devoted and patient parent" would be another option. ;)

Oh, absolutely! Brilliant idea! :rofl:

We have just had a conversation on constructive criticism and thankfulness. :)

• Like 4

But maybe his handwriting sentences could include, "This is not really my favorite, but thank you for making it for me." "I am indeed a fortunate child to have you as my devoted and patient parent" would be another option. ;)

"I have not yet learned to appreciate this. Could I have more salad?" Is a popular one here.

• Like 13

We don't even do constructive criticism at the table.

The only exception is if you're the first person trying a meat and it tastes off. Otherwise, "no, thank you."

You are most welcome to make other suggestions or suggestions for improvement outside of mealtime. You do not have to eat anything you do not want. You may make yourself a nutritious meal IF you are willing to cook it for the whole family.

We also don't talk about things that come out of the body at the table. Burps, farts, barf, etc. is hilarious but do not share your jokes while we're putting things in our mouths.

• Like 8

If the child had difficulty navigating social situations, I would explain how rude his words were and would model other words for him to use. If he is NT, then he would have been excused from the table immediately because heaven forbid I force him to be around something so gross. It would not make me cry. It would make me angry. And I think justifiably.

Thanks! We did have a nice talk about politeness, respect, and transitioning from outside play with rowdy kids to the dinner table. :)

• Like 2

I just chortled! You sound like one of my best friends. :)

• Like 2

But maybe his handwriting sentences could include, "This is not really my favorite, but thank you for making it for me."  "I am indeed a fortunate child to have you as my devoted and patient parent" would be another option. ;)

I often have my children answer, "Yes, mother dearest, whom I love very much." :D

• Like 8

Well, if my son said that he'd be sent to his room with out supper. I am pretty sensitive about things like that, and besides, that's just plain rude. There is no call for a comment like that, especially to your mother. If you don't like what is served, that is fine, but keep your rude remarks to yourself!

• Like 2

No matter how smart they are, they're still only men.

For all the shortcomings of the men I have known romantically or otherwise, I would like to say I don't know any men who have ever insulted the cook knowingly at the table.

The worst was my stepson, 10 at the time, who kept telling us about other people's cooking the moment he sat down. "Thank you for the chicken. Did you know my uncle cooks a really good chicken parmesan?" Every. Time. He was 10. We set him straight. He doesn't do that any more.

But he himself is a good cook and baker, and he is most welcome to bring home those recipes to try.

• Like 4

The complainer gets to cook.

Thankfully, except for the 4yo, the ones most likely to complain CAN cook. The 4yo thinks I'm perfect. :D. She has said she doesn't like something, but she is willing to taste everything.

• Like 2

I know I'm in trouble if my dd says "Dearest mother. . . "  or "My sweetest mother. . ."  What follows is always going to be a big pain in my butt as far as time and energy.  

Well, yes, if it's done voluntarily then we need to be vigilant. When it is obligatory, maybe not so much.  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 4

No matter how smart they are, they're still only men.

And with an attitude like that around them, they have no incentive to act like civilized individuals. All humans have the capacity to grow and change, but not if you make excuses for their shortcomings.

• Like 3

"And... your meal is over, son.  You are excused.  The kitchen might re-open tomorrow.  Maybe." 

I'd be very upset if my kiddo said that!  Dd has been trying out some under-considered phrases lately, so I could totally see it happening. 

My initial response would be pretty hostile.  Of course, having a long conversation on gratitude, constructive speech, and perhaps a hand-made thank you note would be a better parenting strategy....

• Like 1

...just sharing DS11's words about my barbeque chicken... :zombie:

DH was of course very helpful: "Barfeque?

DS11: "Tastes like blown chunks, Dad!"

Unless they were being really, obviously funny, and actually pulled it off, they'd be excused without a meal. They'd be on a no snack plan, and a sincere apology to the cook before they were invited back to join the family. I take treating the work and time of others respectfully pretty seriously.

• Like 2

Tonight's menu is steelhead trout, roasted cauliflower, and roasted carrots. I have a feeling that both DH and DS11 will be extremely polite after last night's talk. I told them both that if The Hive says you were rude, then you were rude. :)

I would like to come for dinner.  That sounds wonderful!  :) 

• Like 2

I don't take offense at comments like this, actually I would probably be at least somewhat amused.  It sounds as if they were surprised, not being unpleasant about it.  And I can see where bbq sauce has that slightly vomit, acidic taste.  It's just not a taste that I would notice.

If it were part of a pattern and similar comments were made frequently, I'd be less happy.

• Like 5

Tonight's menu is steelhead trout, roasted cauliflower, and roasted carrots. I have a feeling that both DH and DS11 will be extremely polite after last night's talk. I told them both that if The Hive says you were rude, then you were rude. :)

Sounds amazing!!!

I just laughed, because it really was very good. Williams Brothers and chicken, can't go wrong, unless you're DS11 and hate barbecue. :zombie:

You get big points for that.  :)  If I have spent time on a meal or dish, I get rather snippy when it's insulted in word or deed.  That said, just reading this in a detached manner, it seemed like a very "guy" thing to say.  ;)

• Like 2

Reminds me of Calvin's mom in Calvin and Hobbes.

Monkey heads, lol!

I gotta say, I'm surprised at how many comments comment on the son's behavior here but say nothing about the dad egging him on. Should've put this in my first comment but didn't, but in my own life the kid might have gotten an eyeroll, but Dad would've heard ALL ABOUT IT after dinner. I expect children to act childishly. I expect parents to set a good example.

• Like 4

LOL, I thought about cooking liver and onions for dinner, which is my version of monkey heads, but that would be low of me, wouldn't it?

Tanaqui, I agree that DH was rude too, and had a few special, private words with him about how we stand or fall as a team and that he should not encourage bad manners, even if I thought "barfeque" was kind of funny. :)

• Like 2

Reminds me of Calvin's mom in Calvin and Hobbes.

The last time one of my sons said something about barf at my food, I knew exactly who to blame. Calvin and Hobbes were not allowed to show their faces at my house for a year. He visits us regularly again, but knows better than to comment about my food.

That doesn't happen with my kids any more but my grandson will say ewww to my dinner now and then. He is told he is free to refrain from eating but if he decides he wants the only food available, he will apologize first. I usually get an apology within 15 minutes of everyone else enjoying their dinner.

The last time one of my sons said something about barf at my food, I knew exactly who to blame. Calvin and Hobbes were not allowed to show their faces at my house for a year. He visits us regularly again, but knows better than to comment about my food.

The few times my kid quoted Calvin at the table were shocking but some of the most hilarious comments and most memorable meals ever.  I know everyone has different rules and things that push buttons, but your comment really shocks me.  I can't imagine banning anything for a year, I just would have said, "That is inappropriate to say at the table, and you won't do that again," and we'd carry on.

We don't even do constructive criticism at the table.

The only exception is if you're the first person trying a meat and it tastes off. Otherwise, "no, thank you."

You are most welcome to make other suggestions or suggestions for improvement outside of mealtime. You do not have to eat anything you do not want. You may make yourself a nutritious meal IF you are willing to cook it for the whole family.

We also don't talk about things that come out of the body at the table. Burps, farts, barf, etc. is hilarious but do not share your jokes while we're putting things in our mouths.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

• Like 1

The few times my kid quoted Calvin at the table were shocking but some of the most hilarious comments and most memorable meals ever. I know everyone has different rules and things that push buttons, but your comment really shocks me. I can't imagine banning anything for a year, I just would have said, "That is inappropriate to say at the table, and you won't do that again," and we'd carry on.

My child was seven years old and had decided Calvin was going to be his role model. It certainly wasn't the first time he had emulated him, or even the second, third, or fourth. It didn't hurt my son at all and at 16, he laughs about it and admits it was a smart move on my part. It is now a funny part of family history.

I don't see any reason to be shocked. It's not like I beat the child. I knew what was needed to correct the behavior and it worked fine with no adverse consequences.

I would think it was funny.  I mean, it's chicken & store-bought sauce, right?  I would definitely speak to him about not using disgusting terms at the table & that it would not be OK outside of his own family, but I can't imagine being personally insulted.  So he didn't like it & made a joke... he's 11.  I have a DS11, too.  He often thinks things are funny & they just aren't, to me.  But I can appreciate his desire to have fun & make people laugh.  It's a phase.

& the Dad's comment was also funny.  You can teach your kids manners & politeness while still having a casual, fun-loving conversational style at home, where these comments are fine.

I think your food sounds delicious.

• Like 7

I would think it was funny.  I mean, it's chicken & store-bought sauce, right?  I would definitely speak to him about not using disgusting terms at the table & that it would not be OK outside of his own family, but I can't imagine being personally insulted.  So he didn't like it & made a joke... he's 11.  I have a DS11, too.  He often thinks things are funny & they just aren't, to me.  But I can appreciate his desire to have fun & make people laugh.  It's a phase.

& the Dad's comment was also funny.  You can teach your kids manners & politeness while still having a casual, fun-loving conversational style at home, where these comments are fine.

:iagree: I guess we don't take things like this seriously.  My kids know better than to say anything like that when someone else is serving a meal or out in public, but at home with just the four of us, we can joke around.  

• Like 5

:iagree: I guess we don't take things like this seriously.  My kids know better than to say anything like that when someone else is serving a meal or out in public, but at home with just the four of us, we can joke around.  

Well, on a certain level, it can be funny. But, as a person that makes sauce (and most other foods) from scratch, I'd really wonder if there was something wrong with what I made. Please don't insult my food. On the flip side, "potty" humor is big here. (Thanks dh for corrupting my girls...)

In reality I don't care what the boys say about my cooking. I definitely do answer questions about what is for dinner a lot like Calvin's mom. I think I told them the enchiladas had Trex meat tonight. But because I don't want them assuming everyone is down with those sorts of comments and going to someone else's house and insulting the food, we enforce a strict "no kevetching about the food" rule as well as modeling appropriate things to say.