Menu

NOOOOOO!

Halcyon

I read that list and thought she was insane but I understood the crown lol It is weird for an American to use that word though. A Brit or someone from a common wealth country sure, but that is because we have crown lands etc here. The Crown generally refers to the Queen of England. Like we have Court of Queen's bench, Crown prosecutors, Crown lands etc Even in a common wealth though her list is bat sh*t crazy lol I bet if someone put out a search for her list, it would be found online somewhere in the middle of a satire written by a British citizen and she merely took it as fact, because it must be true, she read it on the internets

This U.S. person understood the reference. I just was puzzled why it was used within a U.S. context.

I am loyal to, and subject to, a Crown, but not the one cited. The Crown of Christ. Obedience to His Kingdom does not at all, ever, imply, promote or sanction the insanity of that post.

• Like 2

Now Nicole is talking about what they have on the property in terms of livestock: goats, chickens, and dogs. They plan to raise rabbits for meat and will be starting that endeavor this summer as well as planting an orchard this summer. Eventually they want to have an aviary and additional cabins where guests can stay.

Will haz-mat suits be issued to cabin guests?

• Like 15

Joe: "We didn't just have children because they were a product of the lovemaking we were having. We wanted to have a family. There are so many chemicals and so on that lead people to procreate..." Then he says there are problems with our society, stock markets, bail outs... Then he says they wanted to address this and so they homeschool.

He didn't have a grandfather who told him stories like other kids which gave other kids confidence. 

Nicole starts answering questions and she's much more coherent. Any time Joe opens his mouth, crazy comes out.

• Like 8

Not exactly a hard hitting interview. They didn't even ask why she screamed for the police to shoot her.

Basically, this has all been wonderful due to the outpouring of support they have received. Not a lot about the kids was said. No surprise there.

Oh, and their kids aren't medicated like the rest of the kids in the U.S. which is proof that they are happy and living right.

• Like 3

Joe: "We didn't just have children because they were a product of the lovemaking we were having. We wanted to have a family. There are so many chemicals and so on that lead people to procreate..." Then he says there are problems with our society, stock markets, bail outs... Then he says they wanted to address this and so they homeschool.

He didn't have a grandfather who told him stories like other kids which gave other kids confidence.

Nicole starts answering questions and she's much more coherent. Any time Joe opens his mouth, crazy comes out.

Yes, she's much more well-spoken than he is.

This U.S. person understood the reference. I just was puzzled why it was used within a U.S. context.

I am loyal to, and subject to, a Crown, but not the one cited. The Crown of Christ. Obedience to His Kingdom does not at all, ever, imply, promote or sanction the insanity of that post.

Ok, "the crown" as in the Queen of England entered my mind but I figured it had to be something different. So let me see if I get this. By getting a birth certificate, my parents gave my name to the Queen of England and now it's not mine and everything is illegal?

• Like 5

Yup.  All of that comes from the nuttiness of the sovereign citizen movement.

This is the most disturbing comment so far. There is a movement?? That means there are more of these crazies. I was hoping their supporters were just buying the spin that they are being harassed because they are different or because they homeschool. But it sounds like there are supporters who know what kind of crazy stuff the Nauglers believe and are right there with them.

• Like 1

They.... they think their home is going to be a B&B? Except that they can't figure out how to build beds? Or make a non-moldy breakfast?

I wonder if it's less of a B&B idea, and more of an "aspiring homesteaders can come out here and learn from us" concept. Which isn't really any better, I guess!

• Like 3

This is the most disturbing comment so far. There is a movement?? That means there are more of these crazies. I was hoping their supporters were just buying the spin that they are being harassed because they are different or because they homeschool. But it sounds like there are supporters who know what kind of crazy stuff the Nauglers believe and are right there with them.

Oh yes, if you go on their facebook pages you will see all the anti-government comments from their supporters.

• Like 2

I assumed the "Crown" was both figurative and literal. For the British it would be the actual Queen, although that's still pretty silly since the Queen is mostly ceremonial. But I also figured even for Americans, they might use a term like Crown since it implies royalty, uncontrolled power rather than an elected government.

• Like 4

Joe:
"To know the truth about something, look at the fruit of it.... You can see how happy and healthy and well rounded and adjusted our children are. Look at the banner picture on our facebook page, there isn't a face on there that doesn't have a smile. So that's what I would say to the naysayers out there. I can go into any school system and there is a large percentage of children on ADHD and antidepressant medication and it's a pandemic of those kind of medication."

This is a bit edited, not exact quotes, I'm not that fast a typer. :) But yeah, basically, you can tell his family is fine because they have happy pictures and aren't being medicated.

• Like 2

Joe:

"To know the truth about something, look at the fruit of it.... You can see how happy and healthy and well rounded and adjusted our children are. Look at the banner picture on our facebook page, there isn't a face on there that doesn't have a smile. So that's what I would say to the naysayers out there. I can go into any school system and there is a large percentage of children on ADHD and antidepressant medication and it's a pandemic of those kind of medication."

This is a bit edited, not exact quotes, I'm not that fast a typer. :) But yeah, basically, you can tell his family is fine because they have happy pictures and aren't being medicated.[/quote

Yesterday my younger sister and I were looking at family pictures taken years ago, all of us smiling and looking happy. She said, "Dad was so grouchy that day, see how in this picture he is holding my arm to keep me from squirming." I never would have noticed if she hadn't pointed it out. Now, she was three and it wasn't an abusive thing at all, but my point is we all look pretty happy in the picture because we were posing, but in reality there was tension and grumpiness. Pictures don't tell the full story, just like in the story of the college runner who appeared perfectly happy on Twitter but committed suicide that we discussed last week.

• Like 8

How many families with abuse and addiction issues have happy smiling pictures? My own family imploded and everyone was shocked. If you'd have asked people before my father left, everyone would have said we were a wonderful family and my parents were amazing, etc.

• Like 5

Joe:

This is a bit edited, not exact quotes, I'm not that fast a typer. :) But yeah, basically, you can tell his family is fine because they have happy pictures and aren't being medicated.

Ok - let's say the kids are super happy all the time. I argue that isn't really the point. There is a reason for parents. We have to make choices that keep our kids safe, look to their future, teach them to be good adults someday. That isn't going to always make our kids happy. So if sitting in sewage, getting no education, eating rotten food, sleeping on the ground (or a pallet), having no responsibilities etc makes the kids happy, it just doesn't matter. That doesn't make their parenting decisions good. It's their job to provide education, safe food and water, and a safe home for their children even if their children don't want one.

• Like 15

Ok - let's say the kids are super happy all the time. I argue that isn't really the point. There is a reason for parents. We have to make choices that keep our kids safe, look to their future, teach them to be good adults someday. That isn't going to always make our kids happy. So if sitting in sewage, getting no education, eating rotten food, sleeping on the ground (or a pallet), having no responsibilities etc makes the kids happy, it just doesn't matter. That doesn't make their parenting decisions good. It's their job to provide education, safe food and water, and a safe home for their children even if their children don't want one.

Good point.

Exactly. I read a post on that bat sh*t crazy radical unschooler woman's forum where a teenage boy did nothing all day but play video games. His mother was asking advice and she was told to bring him snack frequently. He had a roof over his head, was being fed because his mother was waiting on him and he was spending his days exactly as he wanted to. But I would argue this was horribly negligent. Happy children doesn't mean children who are being cared for and educated or even nourished as they should be.

• Like 10

Ok, "the crown" as in the Queen of England entered my mind but I figured it had to be something different. So let me see if I get this. By getting a birth certificate, my parents gave my name to the Queen of England and now it's not mine and everything is illegal?

But of course.  Once a colonial overlord, always a colonial overlord.  

• Like 15

I wonder if it's less of a B&B idea, and more of an "aspiring homesteaders can come out here and learn from us" concept. Which isn't really any better, I guess!

there will be no "b" (breakfast) in their b&b.   don't think there's another "b" (bed) either.  just a pallet (if you're lucky) under a tarp with sticks for walls.

Joe:

the delusional disconnect is strong with this one. . . . . .

• Like 10

The last 5 babies were unassisted home births, while the older ones were midwife-assisted, so I assume the olders have BCs and the younger 5 don't. I suspect that's the real reason she is adamant about not having a midwife present — so there's no record of the birth. 

Not necessarily.  I had two homebirthed babies, both with a midwife present.  She wasn't completely licensed with the first one (she had taken half of the licensure and took the other half soon after he was born).  My aunt was present at the birth and she signed the birth certificate registration form and we filled it out and mailed it in (usually dads sign, but my aunt was *so* excited to have been there for his birth we decided to let her sign).  She was fully licensed when the younger one was born, but we still could have filled the form out ourselves.  She did it because we told her to go ahead and do it.  So just because you have a midwife, you don't actually have to have a birth record.  Most unassisted birthers do get their kids birth certificates.  It's the fringe of that fringe that don't.

• Like 2

I just realized that one reason I am so fascinated by these people. Last year my niece became pregnant by her high school boyfriend. His parents are anarchists who live in a shack in the woods, making a living growing dope.When niece got pregnant the boyfriend was excited to begin living like his parents and niece would not do it. He hasn't seen his daughter and she is almost a year old. 

I am kind of shocked that the people supporting them have any money to pledge on GoFundMe.

• Like 3

there will be no "b" (breakfast) in their b&b.   don't think there's another "b" (bed) either.  just a pallet (if you're lucky) under a tarp with sticks for walls.

It's more of a P & P.  

Poop and Pallet.

• Like 28

These people have put themselves in such a bubble, I think they are really starting to believe that most Americans support their cause.

• Like 1

Not necessarily.  I had two homebirthed babies, both with a midwife present.  She wasn't completely licensed with the first one (she had taken half of the licensure and took the other half soon after he was born).  My aunt was present at the birth and she signed the birth certificate registration form and we filled it out and mailed it in (usually dads sign, but my aunt was *so* excited to have been there for his birth we decided to let her sign).  She was fully licensed when the younger one was born, but we still could have filled the form out ourselves.  She did it because we told her to go ahead and do it.  So just because you have a midwife, you don't actually have to have a birth record.  Most unassisted birthers do get their kids birth certificates.  It's the fringe of that fringe that don't.

Sure - I think the OP was just saying since Nicole is that fringe of the fringe, not having anyone there to encourage or require birth certificate documentation is a motivator for not just having a home birth but having an unassisted home birth.

• Like 2

This is the most disturbing comment so far. There is a movement??

Yes, there is an entire movement.

http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-files/ideology/sovereign-citizens-movement

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen_movement

The couple who walked into the restaurant in Las Vegas and killed the police officers eating there were "sovereign citizens" - http://www.forbes.com/sites/jjmacnab/2014/06/13/what-las-vegas-police-killings-show-about-evolving-sovereign-movement/

There are others. A Google news search will pop up pages worth.

• Like 2

Funny, I always thought the times I was making my kids unhappy (by enforcing boundaries) were the most important, albeit difficult, parenting I've done.

• Yes, you will go to bed on time.
  • Yes, you are going to do your math assignment before we go to the zoo.
  • No, you are not going to skip school and watch YouTube all day.
  • No, you will not spend all of your allowance on one pair of shoes when you need new clothes.
  • No, you will not skip practicing the piano and "catch up" by practicing three hours on Saturday.
  • No, you will not eat candy instead of breakfast.
  • No, you will not have dessert if you're "too full" to eat dinner.
  • No, you will not quit the swim team because the new coach told you to stop goofing off during the second practice.
  • No, you will not quit little league because you didn't get the position you wanted.  If you want a better position next year, you will earn it by improving your skills.
  • No, I will not help you that much with your science fair project.  You will do the work yourself, and I don't care if you think your friend cheated by having her dad do the project for her.
  • No, I will not let you repeat the same math book for years in a row just because you're ahead of your public school friend and this new concept is difficult.  You can do hard things.  You are a hard worker (or you will be by the time I am done with you).  You are going to keep studying this until you not only understand it, but you master it.
  • No, you will not leave dirty dishes in your room to mold and attract bugs.  Being too lazy to take the dishes to the kitchen does not constitute a "science experiment."
  • No, you will not scream at your brother, I don't care how angry he made you.  We do not scream at people we love.

Someone is crying from unhappiness every day around here.  Sometimes it's me. 

• Like 24

:confused1: Wow. 

"According to sovereign "researchers," this means that the government has pledged its citizenry as collateral, by selling their future earning capabilities to foreign investors, effectively enslaving all Americans. This sale, they claim, takes place at birth. When a baby is born in the U.S., a birth certificate is issued, and the hospital usually requires that the parents apply for a Social Security number at that time. Sovereigns say that the government then uses that birth certificate to set up a kind of corporate trust in the baby's name — a secret Treasury account — which it funds with an amount ranging from $600,000 to $20 million, depending on the particular variant of the sovereign belief system. By setting up this account, every newborn's rights are cleverly split between those held by the flesh-and-blood baby and the ones assigned to his or her corporate shell account."

• Like 2

Funny, I always thought the times I was making my kids unhappy (by enforcing boundaries) were the most important, albeit difficult, parenting I've done.

• Yes, you will go to bed on time.
  • Yes, you are going to do your math assignment before we go to the zoo.
  • No, you are not going to skip school and watch YouTube all day.
  • No, you will not spend all of your allowance on one pair of shoes when you need new clothes.
  • No, you will not skip practicing the piano and "catch up" by practicing three hours on Saturday.
  • No, you will not eat candy instead of breakfast.
  • No, you will not have dessert if you're "too full" to eat dinner.
  • No, you will not quit the swim team because the new coach told you to stop goofing off during the second practice.
  • No, you will not quit little league because you didn't get the position you wanted.  If you want a better position next year, you will earn it by improving your skills.
  • No, I will not help you that much with your science fair project.  You will do the work yourself, and I don't care if you think your friend cheated by having her dad do the project for her.
  • No, I will not let you repeat the same math book for years in a row just because you're ahead of your public school friend and this new concept is difficult.  You can do hard things.  You are a hard worker (or you will be by the time I am done with you).  You are going to keep studying this until you not only understand it, but you master it.
  • No, you will not leave dirty dishes in your room to mold and attract bugs.  Being too lazy to take the dishes to the kitchen does not constitute a "science experiment."
  • No, you will not scream at your brother, I don't care how angry he made you.  We do not scream at people we love.

Someone is crying from unhappiness every day around here.  Sometimes it's me. 

you're such a mean mom . . . . ;)

• Like 3

"According to sovereign "researchers," this means that the government has pledged its citizenry as collateral, by selling their future earning capabilities to foreign investors, effectively enslaving all Americans. This sale, they claim, takes place at birth. When a baby is born in the U.S., a birth certificate is issued, and the hospital usually requires that the parents apply for a Social Security number at that time. Sovereigns say that the government then uses that birth certificate to set up a kind of corporate trust in the baby's name — a secret Treasury account — which it funds with an amount ranging from $600,000 to $20 million, depending on the particular variant of the sovereign belief system. By setting up this account, every newborn's rights are cleverly split between those held by the flesh-and-blood baby and the ones assigned to his or her corporate shell account."

I never thought I would posit that there is a shortage of psychiatrists.

• Like 10

hahahaha

I shouldn't laugh because people actually believe it... Is that what all these supporters believe?? Are there really lots of these people? Wow.

• Like 2

Joe said CPS told them they said the cabin needed to be dressed up, fence around the trash, fence around the pond. They "want certain areas cleaned up". They say they are going to comply with that. Their attorney is reinforcing the idea that they are being picked on.

Joe also has the idea that almost no one actually disagrees with him. He dismisses anyone disagreeing with him as having petty concerns. He says, "We have really seen the power of we the people. We have seen the power of standing firm in your beliefs." And now I'm done listening to it. I took a break to make waffles for my kids. :)  It was pretty boring and didn't really say anything new.

• Like 5

I actually managed to listen all the way through the podcast because I was a captive audience whilst nursing the baby.

Wow. Joe opens his mouth and the crazy just...evacuates. In fact, I am half convinced that the piles of cr@p all over their fetidlittlehomestead came from his rhetoric and not the animals. Nicole is much more coherent in her rants. Ignorant, misguided and plain delusional, but at least she can follow a topic and attempt to answer a question. Joe is either on drugs or his drug use has made Swiss cheese of his brain:(

On the subject of education and their ' unschooling' of the kids Nicole states that the kids know all they need to. "They can all read and write and know science and math." They can use the Internet well to look up anything they want to learn about. Of course, I bet this involves approved sites and strong doses of scorn and appropriate reprogramming on how what the Internet says is actually a large-scale conspiracy by the government and anyone else who doesn't agree with them.

Nicole also spouted the traditional stuff about how the kids learned math from building on the homestead, and fractions from cooking, doing things like doubling recipes.

Uh...yeah. Because their fort was so obviously built with careful attention to measurements and I am quite certain that their outdoor 'kitchen' has cookbooks and measuring utensils. Because, you know, cooking diseased turtles requires careful seasoning...

• Like 13

hahahaha

I shouldn't laugh because people actually believe it... Is that what all these supporters believe?? Are there really lots of these people? Wow.

Back in 2012 they estimated it at something like 300,000. When I first listened to the audio the Naugler's posted of their encounter with the SO, it sounded an awful lot like some of the "sovereign citizen" stuff I had read in the past. Do all their supporters believe it? Eh, I don't know. The "crown" supporter definitely does.

Totally off-topic, but related aside, Kent Hovind (of Creation Science Evangelism) is using a "sovereign citizen" defense as to why he's innocent of tax evasion - http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2015/01/13/looking-at-kent-hovinds-innocence-claims/

I feel like I'm falling deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole....

The rabbits the Nauglers plan to breed for meat are actually White Rabbits.

Exactly. I read a post on that bat sh*t crazy radical unschooler woman's forum where a teenage boy did nothing all day but play video games. His mother was asking advice and she was told to bring him snack frequently. He had a roof over his head, was being fed because his mother was waiting on him and he was spending his days exactly as he wanted to. But I would argue this was horribly negligent. Happy children doesn't mean children who are being cared for and educated or even nourished as they should be.

I remember this post! Didn't she cut his food into bite-sized pieces so he could eat and keep playing? I googled her name when I first read this (I thought she was a troll) and she had been arrested for furnishing alcohol to minors.

Most unassisted birthers do get their kids birth certificates.  It's the fringe of that fringe that don't.

I know several women who have had unassisted births. Between them, they have 16 kids. All those kids have birth certificates.

Joe said CPS told them they said the cabin needed to be dressed up, fence around the trash, fence around the pond. They "want certain areas cleaned up". They say they are going to comply with that. Their attorney is reinforcing the idea that they are being picked on.

Joe also has the idea that almost no one actually disagrees with him. He dismisses anyone disagreeing with him as having petty concerns. He says, "We have really seen the power of we the people. We have seen the power of standing firm in your beliefs." And now I'm done listening to it. I took a break to make waffles for my kids. :) It was pretty boring and didn't really say anything new.

One thing that really got me there at the end: the interviewer questions whether they will comply with CPS requests, saying why wouldn't you if you wanted your kids back.

Joe says some nonsense about 'the line' that they are willing to comply with according to their personal beliefs. He says, yeah, a fence and cleaning up the old decrepit sites that were on the property from previous tenants, that's fine. They always planned to, but it was a step-by-step process they were following...

But it clearly implied that there were things they would NOT be willing to comply with to get their kids back:(

Seriously frightening. I feel for those kids who will need years of reprogramming:(

And I certainly hope that the location of the foster homes is kept from them!

• Like 1

Yes, there are more people out there with these anti-government beliefs. Years ago, a family lived nearby who was into this. Well, it was an older couple and their grown son. The lady wasn't into it, but the husband and son were.

He didn't have a tag on his truck. I remember there was a plate on it where the legal plate should be and it said, "Sovereign". The old man ended up in the county jail. I think it was for not having his truck registered. He probably had previous similar offenses, because I would think you would just get a ticket for a first offense. he probably was rude to the law enforcement officer or something also. He would not eat while he was in jail because he refused to eat with "the enemy".

When our dd was born, we were showing her off to the wife ( a very sweet lady) and the husband commented "That baby probably already has a birth certificate and social security number."  Why , yes she did.  :laugh:  The wife rolled her eyes. He continued on spouting nonsense about the government and birth certificates, and ssn numbers.

They moved away shortly after. 

• Like 1

Yes, there are more people out there with these anti-government beliefs. Years ago, a family lived nearby who was into this. Well, it was an older couple and their grown son. The lady wasn't into it, but the husband and son were.

He didn't have a tag on his truck. I remember there was a plate on it where the legal plate should be and it said, "Sovereign". The old man ended up in the county jail. I think it was for not having his truck registered. He probably had previous similar offenses, because I would think you would just get a ticket for a first offense. he probably was rude to the law enforcement officer or something also. He would not eat while he was in jail because he refused to eat with "the enemy".

When our dd was born, we were showing her off to the wife ( a very sweet lady) and the husband commented "That baby probably already has a birth certificate and social security number."  Why , yes she did.  :laugh:  The wife rolled her eyes. He continued on spouting nonsense about the government and birth certificates, and ssn numbers.

They moved away shortly after. 

I used to hear this kind of thing from the dad on that show Dharma and Greg. The show was hilarious. In real life... not so much. 

• Like 4