Menu

Do I want a beagle? eta. pic <3

IfIOnly

I'd want to know why Del can't/won't walk very far.  In the picture she looks quite overweight, although it could just be the angle and/or the way she's laying.  If weight is the issue--and I really think there's a very good chance it is--that's something you can fix.  A five year old beagle should have plenty of stamina and should enjoy walking.

Unfortunately, weight issues are very common in beagles.  They tend to be easy keepers (don't eat much for their size) and so it's easy to overfeed them.  And given the opportunity most beagles would never stop eating.

Thank you! So glad I asked. I was wondering if the short walks was a beagle thing and did some reading last night about it. It didn't sound typical for beagles at all, so I was wondering if there was an unknown health issue going on even though she get reg. vet visits. I never occurred to me that it could be a weight problem. I will def. look into that and talk with the owner more about it when we meet. 

• Like 2

Thank you! So glad I asked. I was wondering if the short walks was a beagle thing and did some reading last night about it. It didn't sound typical for beagles at all, so I was wondering if there was an unknown health issue going on even though she get reg. vet visits. I never occurred to me that it could be a weight problem. I will def. look into that and talk with the owner more about it when we meet. 

Ask for proof of the vet visits.   She may be using her county's low cost shot clinic.  Here the county shot clinic comes to each town and just gives the shots.  They don't really check out the dog.  Beagles are prone to hip and back issues if the weight is not the problem.

• Like 3

I read your quote in post number 49 and have to wonder about the reason she is being re-homed.  Are they re-homing the other dog too; the fact that she has been with them for 5 years is a red flag for me.  Most dogs by the five year mark are pretty settled in and  well beyond the needy puppy years.

A honest heart to heart talk with the owner and a vet check before your family falls in love would be a really good idea.  Also if you get to that point, consider a an over night visit to ensure she is an overall fit for your family.  

• Like 3

I read your quote in post number 49 and have to wonder about the reason she is being re-homed.  Are they re-homing the other dog too; the fact that she has been with them for 5 years is a red flag for me.  Most dogs by the five year mark are pretty settled in and  well beyond the needy puppy years.

A honest heart to heart talk with the owner and a vet check before your family falls in love would be a really good idea.  Also if you get to that point, consider a an over night visit to ensure she is an overall fit for your family.  

Good point.  Unfortunately, many people get a puppy/younger dog and then decide multiple dogs are too much and the older one is often the one who gets the boot.  For whatever reason(s), for many people younger/cuter/more playful often take precedence over gentle and easygoing.

• Like 3

The other dogs were her other family members dogs that Del has been around. I asked the same thing because I had read it that way too. The over night stay sounds like a great idea. She really, really seemed to love her dog so I'm sure she'll be fine with a trial period to make sure she gets the right home.

I will check up on the vet. She actually takes her to a more expensive vet becasue when I asked about costs for the gland thing, she mentioned that I could probably find a less expensive vet than she uses. 

• Like 2

How did I miss this thread? :lol:

Patch does bark, loudly, (with his snout pointed straight in the air) at the mailman, cats and one particular dog in the neighborhood. Other dogs get a barkbarkbark kind of bark, not as loud or strident.

I do try to hold the curtains closed and reassure him when the mailman, the dog that annoys him and cats walk in front of the house.

He doesn't smell badly at all. I loooooove his doggy smell. We say he smells like sugar waffles. :D

As for walks...he is the slowest walker ( esp. off leash at the dog park) because he goes into Ultimate Sniffer Mode. "None of the Sniffs may go Unsniffed!" seems to be his motto.

And he does dig, occasionally. I think he might be digging for critters, cuz it is usually in spring and early summer and he does it in our hosta beds where it is nice and easy to dig. He doesn't just randomly dig a hole in the middle of the lawn.

• Like 3

How did I miss this thread? :lol:

Patch does bark, loudly, (with his snout pointed straight in the air) at the mailman, cats and one particular dog in the neighborhood. Other dogs get a barkbarkbark kind of bark, not as loud or strident.

I do try to hold the curtains closed and reassure him when the mailman, the dog that annoys him and cats walk in front of the house.

He doesn't smell badly at all. I loooooove his doggy smell. We say he smells like sugar waffles. :D

As for walks...he is the slowest walker ( esp. off leash at the dog park) because he goes into Ultimate Sniffer Mode. "None of the Sniffs may go Unsniffed!" seems to be his motto.

And he does dig, occasionally. I think he might be digging for critters, cuz it is usually in spring and early summer and he does it in our hosta beds where it is nice and easy to dig. He doesn't just randomly dig a hole in the middle of the lawn.

haha! I was wondering about your experience as a beagle owner! Thanks for the post.

Do recall the beagle part is suspected but unconfirmed...his mom definitely was a Jack Russell Terrier. And many of their traits overlap.

I caught that! I'm thinking that the doggie we're going to look at is a beagle and jack russel terrior mix. The coloring and body type are so JRT but those ears and eyes are totally beagle.

ETA the smooth JRT breed: http://www.allsmalldogbreeds.com/jack-russell-terrier-smooth.html

• Like 1

I caught that! I'm thinking that the doggie we're going to look at is a beagle and jack russel terrior mix. The coloring and body type are so JRT but those ears and eyes are totally beagle.

ETA the smooth JRT breed: http://www.allsmalldogbreeds.com/jack-russell-terrier-smooth.html

The one in post 44, right? Yeah, that white and tan do look JRT to me, too. She's beautiful!

• Like 1

She looks all beagle to me, except that maybe her face is just a bit more narrow than many beagles.  But that might just be the picture.  She's a lemon (or tan) and white, which isn't quite as common a color as the traditional tri-colored beagles.

• Like 2

There are tons of beagle rescues. Canada has several which work cross country. They fly them from east to west....

have you looked at www.petfinder.com ?

There's also Seattle Beagle Rescue  & whacks of them in shelters & other rescues.

I got >6000 hits when I searched for beagles near Seattle.

I know beagles can be a handful, but I wonder if drug testing is a reason so many are being bred and become available? Warning this video is so sad. PETA did a six month, undercover investigation on beagles being used for drug testing and documented it. They use beagles because they are so sweet, friendly, and nonagressive. :(

oops still looking for video. I know that lots of them up for adoption are rescues from labs too.

Canadian rescue beagles are more likely to be ex hunters (or just owned by hunter wannabes)

lab beagles are usually killed. There are several rescues working hard to pass legislation requiring labs to at least offer their animals to rescue.

Beagle Freedom Project is an excellent group to support & they have tons of resources & info about this topic. They rescue lab beagles. Often they have to sign a confidentiality agreement to not disclose where they came from. Most of the home & beauty products on the shelves here are made by companies that DO test on animals :(

http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/

• Like 3

We had a beagle when I was a young child that is legendary among our family pets. His name was Happy Beagle and he loved to run...and run and run and run. He'd escape OVER the six foot fence in our backyard. Honest, my parents didn't believe it until they saw him. Once we went on a drive in the mountains and he escaped when we stopped the car for a pit stop. My parents drove around looking and calling but he didn't come. We were hours away from home and finally had to go. Four days later Happy Beagle found his way home,  no worse for the wear except for being hungry and tired.

Except for the escaping thing, and well, the running thing, Happy Beagle was a great family pet. 

• Like 1

We had a beagle when I was a young child that is legendary among our family pets. His name was Happy Beagle and he loved to run...and run and run and run. He'd escape OVER the six foot fence in our backyard. Honest, my parents didn't believe it until they saw him. Once we went on a drive in the mountains and he escaped when we stopped the car for a pit stop. My parents drove around looking and calling but he didn't come. We were hours away from home and finally had to go. Four days later Happy Beagle found his way home,  no worse for the wear except for being hungry and tired.

Except for the escaping thing, and well, the running thing, Happy Beagle was a great family pet. 

Do you remember if the fence was chain link? Most of the Youtube's I've seen involve Beagles being able to climb that kind. Here's to hoping our 6ft. wood fence does the trick. :P

Do you remember if the fence was chain link? Most of the Youtube's I've seen involve Beagles being able to climb that kind. Here's to hoping our 6ft. wood fence does the trick. :p

Sorry, the fence was definitely wood.   :closedeyes: However, I'd probably ignore that minor little detail and bring her home anyway. 

• Like 1

Canadian rescue beagles are more likely to be ex hunters (or just owned by hunter wannabes)

lab beagles are usually killed. There are several rescues working hard to pass legislation requiring labs to at least offer their animals to rescue.

Beagle Freedom Project is an excellent group to support & they have tons of resources & info about this topic. They rescue lab beagles. Often they have to sign a confidentiality agreement to not disclose where they came from. Most of the home & beauty products on the shelves here are made by companies that DO test on animals :(

http://www.beaglefreedomproject.org/

Thanks for that video. My son was born in S. Korea on 4/14 (a 'few' years ago). It's nice to see some pups get their freedom on his birthday :)

• Like 3

We had a beagle mix growing up. His name was Zeke and he was my favorite dog. He had this deep bark whenever someone came into the yard and between him and our Rottweiler (we lived in the country) everyone was afraid to get out of their cars, even though both dogs were as friendly as could be. Zeke loved to chase rabbits in the orchard, but never caught one. I've always wanted another beagle, but alas, a dog is not in the stars for us.

• Like 1

We got her!! She is following us around and sniffing everything and wagging her tail. She is cute! We all love her already and she seems to like us too! We are really feeling blessed with such a great little gal. The owner cried as we started leaving with her. :( She also says they only have a four foot fence and she's never tried to jumpel it. Yay!

20150512_212333_zps4ko5e21z.jpg

• Like 13

We had a beagle and my mom rehomed it.  We lived in and urban-suburban home with a small yard, and it just didn't have enough room to roam.  I totally jumped to the end of this post, so I might be posting out of turn here.  I would just recommend that the beagle have lots of room to run and lots of time outdoors.  Ours barked constantly. 

It was a poor choice on my mom's part, but our circumstances were probably different.

• Like 1