Menu

White sugar, brown sugar or honey?

chiguirre

What do you use in your tea or coffee?

I always buy brown sugar for home and if no one has told me we're almost out, we use maple syrup. (I really like the maple syrup, but I think I might be weird).

I only use honey in my tea if I have a cough. I do, however, use it on my chicken biscuits. (Okay, I know I'm weird).

Mostly I don't put sugar in my hot coffee.  But sometimes I want it a little sweet, so I'll use either white or brown sugar. Never honey.  Sometimes a nice treat is some brown sugar and a drop of vanilla extract.  Oh, I always have cream or half & half in my coffee.  

Hot tea - sometimes I just drink it plain, but sometimes I want milk in it.  The only time I put sugar in it is if I'm making Indian-style chai.  Then, it's white sugar.

For iced coffee and tea, I've started keeping some simple syrup in the fridge.  Works much better than trying to get sugar to dissolve. Occasionally I'll put some hazelnut syrup in iced coffee. 

I prefer honey in both my coffee (with which I also use milk, or cream as a special treat) and my tea. If I don't have any honey on hand, I'll use Splenda or white sugar in my coffee and nothing in my tea.

For basic tea, it needs to be white sugar, or I can taste it, and I'm a tea snob.

I find some "teas" lovely with honey or brown sugar, but those are the ones tha are already supposed to have flavours other than just tea.

I've been getting used to blending some sweetness from stevia with white sugar to finish the flavour -- most of the time. Other times I just want all sugar.

• Like 1

I always buy brown sugar for home and if no one has told me we're almost out, we use maple syrup. (I really like the maple syrup, but I think I might be weird).

I only use honey in my tea if I have a cough. I do, however, use it on my chicken biscuits. (Okay, I know I'm weird).

Honey, white sugar, brown sugar, or maple syrup (if desperate) in tea; white sugar, brown sugar, or maple syrup (if desperate) in coffee. 

Holy cow--I've NEVER heard of brown sugar in any hot drink nor do I know anyone who uses it that way...

Brown sugar is just regular sugar with a little molasses mixed into it. It's definitely not as pure a flavor, but I actually like the extra richness it gives coffee. Not so much with tea, but again, I'll use it if it's all I have!

Brown sugar in tea or coffee?? :blink: Not sure I'd want the taste of molasses in my tea. Brown sugar in baking, in oatmeal, yes; not in a beverage. I like pure maple syrup on hot cereal. Yummo.

Sugar. Or a sugar substitute. Honey is good, too (I know many people who put honey on their biscuits).

Brown sugar is just regular sugar with a little molasses mixed into it. It's definitely not as pure a flavor, but I actually like the extra richness it gives coffee. Not so much with tea, but again, I'll use it if it's all I have!

What you buy in stores usually is that, however, there are methods of refining sugar that leave more molasses in to start.

This, btw, explains why the Ingalls family had brown sugar most of the time and white sugar for really fancy special occasions. That puzzled me no end as a child, because in my world, brown sugar was definitely pricier!

Not necessarily.  I tend to have Muscovado sugar around for coffee.

What you buy in stores usually is that, however, there are methods of refining sugar that leave more molasses in to start.

This, btw, explains why the Ingalls family had brown sugar most of the time and white sugar for really fancy special occasions. That puzzled me no end as a child, because in my world, brown sugar was definitely pricier!

Good points. When I refer to brown sugar, I'm thinking of what Domino sells in 2-pound bags. I do buy natural sugar myself, but I don't refer to that as brown sugar because around here, it's not what people tend to recognize as the brown sugar they bake with. 

Do people generally also refer to Turbinado or Muscovado or other raw sugars as "brown sugar"? I think we've always just called them by name or called them "natural sugar."

Tanaqui, yes, it took me awhile to figure that out too :lol:

Do people generally also refer to Turbinado or Muscovado or other raw sugars as "brown sugar"? I think we've always just called them by name or called them "natural sugar."

I do sometimes, especially Muscovado which really is a lot like the brown sugar you buy in the store. But I'm more likely to call turbinado "raw" sugar.

Tanaqui, yes, it took me awhile to figure that out too :lol:

And the diamond mines in A Little Princess. For the life of me, I could not figure out WHY Lavinia insisted there was "no such thing" as a diamond mine! Isn't that where diamonds come from? Mines? It wasn't until literally twenty years later that I found out about the history of diamond mining and the whole thing made sense.

Same thing for 100% whole grain flours.  White flour was for the rich.  Now it is the worst type flour!

In the UK, they are all brown sugars, I think, with the varieties given as subcategories.