Menu

Has anyone fell pregnant just before their periods?

Jasperstone

You mean found out they were pregnant just before their period was due to start or conceived more than a day or two after ovulation?

No, the sperm surviving from a day before your periods until ovulation. Is that possible? I wouldn't have thought so.

Okay, I'm more than wondering.....starting to be a little concerned, more like it!

No, the sperm surviving from a day before your periods until ovulation. Is that possible? I wouldn't have thought so.

Okay, I'm more than wondering.....starting to be a little concerned, more like it!

If someone has a very short cycle, it's possible. Sperm have been found to (rarely) be viable 3-7 days after TeA. So a 20 day cycle? It happens. I know my cycle well from years of charting and I can be pretty certain I won't be one of these instances.

Though honestly most people I know who say they have gotten pregnant on their period don't really know when they are ovulating or anything much about their cycle.

• Like 5

Yes, it should be statistically possible--IF ovulation happens insanely early (ie, the cycle would be very short.)  Sperm can survive for typically up to 5 days I think?  So if ovulation were to happen on day 4 or 5 of a cycle, maybe...

However, there's also the theory that sperm won't survive more than a couple of hours in the absence of cervical fluid.  So...can we argue that there wouldn't be any just before a cycle starts?

• Like 2

If someone has a very short cycle, it's possible. Sperm have been found to (rarely) be viable 3-7 days after TeA. So a 20 day cycle? It happens. I know my cycle well from years of charting and I can be pretty certain I won't be one of these instances.

Though honestly most people I know who say they have gotten pregnant on their period don't really know when they are ovulating or anything much about their cycle.

Oh dear... it's been a 21 day cycle for months now.

Yes, it should be statistically possible--IF ovulation happens insanely early (ie, the cycle would be very short.) Sperm can survive for typically up to 5 days I think? So if ovulation were to happen on day 4 or 5 of a cycle, maybe...

However, there's also the theory that sperm won't survive more than a couple of hours in the absence of cervical fluid. So...can we argue that there wouldn't be any just before a cycle starts?

It's very unlikely then. And considering my age.

Phew ???

An acquaintance got pregnant from what she said was a 'second ovulation' that happened near the end of her cycle right before she was expecting to start. That's why they weren't using any protection.  She was over 40.

• Like 1

Well my mother got pregnant while pregnant. And I got pregnant after having my tubes clamped and having a dye test. ... so I think anything is possible

Please explain about your mom. That's so curious.

As to yourself, a friend of mine had the same situation when she got pregnant with her third. I agree that anything's possible.

An acquaintance got pregnant from what she said was a 'second ovulation' that happened near the end of her cycle right before she was expecting to start. That's why they weren't using any protection. She was over 40.

I read this tonight, as well! Who would have known one can do that! Sigh!

I wonder if it's a over forties thing? Like you body is dropping its remainder eggs like crazy. ;-)

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Jasperstone...I know it's a figure of speech "has anyone fell pregnant" but it makes me LOL.

Also, my title isn't correct either. As fertilization didn't happen then... just the act etc....

Yep, one justs falls into pregnancy. Didn't you know that? Watch ya steps! ;-)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Also, my title isn't correct either. As fertilization didn't happen then... just the act etc....

Yep, one justs falls into pregnancy. Didn't you know that? Watch ya steps! ;-)

Why, I just slipped on a banana peel, landed just right on his lap...and that's how I fell pregnant!
  • Like 16
  • Haha 1

So, TeA, then period, then ovulation? I don't see how it would be possible.

That's how I read it too. Sperm can't survive more than about 5 days. It could be possible that you got pregnant and bled despite being pregnant, but the sperm from before your period would not be able to fertilize an egg released 2 weeks later.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if you're talking about a normal period? It would be beyond odd.

Normal cycle:

Tea

Day 1 - period begins

Say period through Day 5

Day 14 - ovulate

If it was a real period and you ovulated on Day 7 there would still be only minimal lining for implantation not to mention not healthy cervical fluid to keep sperm alive for 7 days.

Now I can attest that sperm can live for seven days. Her name is Catherine, but it was a very typical cycle. ;)

• Like 7

Jasperstone...I know it's a figure of speech "has anyone fell pregnant" but it makes me LOL.

I thought the same thing. It makes me think of something I heard once,  "I got pregnant by accident" "Accident?  Did you trip and fall on someone's p*nis?"   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

That's what I thought of when she said fell...

• Like 6

Let me see if I'm getting this right sperm survive from BEFORE period, which I take to mean bleeding, through the bleeding week, then to the next ovulation?  Even with a very short cycle, the next ovulation is at least a week away, so we are talking about a sperm surviving for at least 2 weeks?  No, not possible.

Close- day before. ;-)

I meant about the chick who got pregnant while pregnant. I assume she meant pregnant while on her period which "doesn't happen". I already knew that you could get pregnant while pregnant, but it's so rare.

It's possible. 

ETA: a close friend swears every time she has sex at the end of her period she ends up pregnant.  She swears she just ovulates early.

I've gotten pregnant more than a week after a confirmed ovulation (with a test, then cramps, then a temperature change).  Dh was out of town and came back a week afterwards.  Must have ovulated twice.

I saw some science of sex show late at night on one of the discovery channels several years ago that theorized that the older you get, the more likely you are to ovulate two or three times in your cycle. It's just that typically the pH of the reproductive tract is hostile to sperm except at certain times of the month, but the older you get, the more likely you are to have hormone fluctuations and surprises.  Also, the younger you are, the more likely having sex is to trigger ovulation (early, late, whenever).

• Like 2

I meant about the chick who got pregnant while pregnant. I assume she meant pregnant while on her period which "doesn't happen". I already knew that you could get pregnant while pregnant, but it's so rare.

I've heard that happens more often than you'd think...  apparently a high percentage of fraternal twins have different conception dates, sometimes even a month or two apart.

ETA: my source is hospital nurses' break room gossip though, so I can't link something for you.

• Like 2

I've heard that happens more often than you'd think...  apparently a high percentage of fraternal twins have different conception dates, sometimes even a month or two apart.

ETA: my source is hospital nurses' break room gossip though, so I can't link something for you.

I can totally buy that. Our bodies are so imperfect and the wrong thing happens all of the time. It would explain why one twin is frequently so much bigger, even in the beginning. And if your pregnant you're certainly not trying to prevent a pregnancy.

• Like 2

JUST GO BUY THE TEST ALREADY! :D

I keep checking for updates. :)

You know, I'm that freaked out the thought of it, that I can't even bring myslf to doing that.

The last 2 years I've undergone surgery, and recovery was a nightmare. My body just won't cope.... so scared. :'(

• Like 1

You know, I'm that freaked out the thought of it, that I can't even bring myslf to doing that.

The last 2 years I've undergone surgery, and recovery was a nightmare. My body just won't cope.... so scared. :'(

It's in His hands sweetie. He's got it covered. ;)

• Like 7

I just found an article called Long Lived Sperm by Barb Chamberlain (can't link from my phone) that claims sperm can live up to 10 days in the Fallopian tubes (kind of throws a wrench in NFP). I know zero about Barb or even where the article came from so take it for what it is worth.

• Like 2

Sperm can survive for a long time, but it couldn't possibly "survive" menstruation, could it? It would be flushed out, unless possibly it had already reached the fallopian tubes, but then the cycle would have to be insanely

short. Do you have really, really short cycles?

I do have a short one, but even then the maths still doesn't add up.

As, we had TeA on day before period, then 5 days of it. I actually even felt the ovulation day! And it was around day 12. So technically impossible. ...

I'm mid forties too! You'd think my fertile years would be way over! Far ou,t my eldest turns 28 this month!!!!!!

• Like 1