Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!  Everyone slept in a bit today.  Everything is on spring break or canceled.  Dh went to work to do a few things, but will be working from home the next three weeks.  He went to the AFSA last night it said it was completely wiped clean.  He had better luck at Krogers, but still lots of empty shelves.  Ds works extra this week, or at least is scheduled to, since it's spring break, but if they close restaurants (or make them drive thru / take out only) I doubt they will need a full staff.  

• Like 2

Dh got a call in the middle of the night that FIL was critical.  His pulse had dropped drastically and they thought he had a heart attack.  Dh drove 2 hours at 3am to be with his mom and called me this morning to say FIL passed away.   MIL and dh didn't go to the hospital to see him because of the virus (MIL is in her 80's, dh is in his 60s), they have a relative that works at the hospital that told them they should not come.   FIL didn't want any kind of service and arrangements were all pre-paid so I'm not sure what happens now.  Dh is going to call me with an update when he knows if the kids and I should be heading down there.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Woke up to discover we never turned the heat back on after turning it off yesterday to open up some windows because it was a beautiful day.  It was 56 degrees in here this morning.  

My mother just had knee replacement surgery and can't drive and has an appointment tomorrow so if kids and I go down she needs to find a ride.    

Older dd is still working.  She's a manager at a mall store.  I'm really really hoping they shut down soon.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

First Monday of the Viracalpyse.

School and work. At least on the homeschooling community it is business as usual. My two older kids have school today, they go to a private school. My guess is, though, that today will be it. DD and I have a dentist appointment. I am going to see if any of the smaller grocery stores have produce and half and half. DH will be home.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just put ds in the local public school at the beginning of Feb. so he could get more time in the local language. And now schools are closed over the country for at least 2 weeks with them saying up to 5. 

And our tutor doesn't want to risk coming over. I don't blame her. So now I need to figure out ways to keep him growing in language. Watching a lot of tv isn't really what I want to do. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, lulalu said:

Just put ds in the local public school at the beginning of Feb. so he could get more time in the local language. And now schools are closed over the country for at least 2 weeks with them saying up to 5. 

And our tutor doesn't want to risk coming over. I don't blame her. So now I need to figure out ways to keep him growing in language. Watching a lot of tv isn't really what I want to do. 

Oh goodness - so much change and transition to deal with!

• Like 3

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

I have two extra adults in the house full time for the next while and we are all going to need a good deal of extra patience and coffee.  I am hoping we can take a couple hikes this week.  The girls still have their music lessons this afternoon but that's the only thing still on the schedule.  This week is the scheduled spring break for public schools, which have been off school already for a couple weeks.  I am supposed to play in a wedding on Saturday, which I am assuming is still on.  

Now that the trip to England is off, I have two whole weeks of unplanned time.  If the kids' activities have resumed by then I guess everything will just continue as normal.

Coffee!

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Monday!

My most reluctant learner actually worked without complaining today.  Maybe the world is coming to an end, after all. 😉

Not much on the agenda today of course.  Except taking dd17 to work.  Sigh.  I think it's relatively safe for now, but I know that it likely to change very soon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I've decided I look really cute in a mask...

I went to the triage center this morning. Any cough/fever is being sent to the triage unit in town for assessment. Fever is 99, as it has been, and I'm waiting on results for flu, RSV, and strep (because the back of my throat looks like a hot pepper and feels about the same way). If all those test are negative, I'm under home arrest for the next two weeks. Hubby is home, and I've been isolated at the back of the house with a mask on, and my children and DH are supposed to be feeding me. DH is home and grilling, and he'd already taken off tomorrow for going up north for a party for his old boss, but he's not doing that now. I've got books, revisions, and plenty to keep me busy for two months, so I'm good. 

Just wishing they call me in some cough medicine soon because my ribs are so, so sore!

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

Can I just say that I'm thankful both my boys can cook, that they know how to clean, that they are very capable kids, and that they have learned through some of our leaner times how to  get by with what we have and not be upset when we don't have everything we want or need? I'm also very grateful that DH has a state job with medical leave built up, and that I work in a profession where I can take the time off that I need, even if it does hurt a bit financially. I'm also grateful that there is food in the refrigerator, freezer, and that I have lots to read and plenty to write. I'm grateful that they got me in quickly at the triage center and that they are set up for viral contagion control. I'm grateful that they didn't ask for a copay, and that when the elderly man came in, terrified for his sick wife, that they were kind and helpful. People are pulling their weight around here, doing the right things as well as they can, and that makes me really happy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Spudater said:

But does butt have TP?  😜

DH did go to Costco at the beginning or March and bought TP. I’m not that worried. Seriously. If we run out there are other options.

Well, looked that. I caught another Booya/h!! It’s a TP Booya/h!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

I have to run to the store tomorrow for us and my mother.   We have a bunch of 24 hour grocery stores so I was planning to go at 6am when it shouldn't be busy.  Except they all seem to have changed their hours and now don't open until 7 or 8am.   I also plan to wear gloves.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Have you had a good birthday, Lynn?

As good as can be given the general gloom. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

Finally, a bit of good news today.

I have the flu.

I think I might just have some ice cream to celebrate.

So, so thankful!!!  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️  Definitely ice cream!

• Like 3

I missed the anniversary!!!!!  😩

I will have to relive it through ketchupping, I suppose.  😢

I forget where I've said this, but the ducks are hoping to migrate.  New house! Offer accepted!  Chaos ensued about a week ago, very much out of the blue as we hadn't expected to find anything so soon after getting an agent (we've "looked" for five years and found nothing).  And then a day later?  Coronapocalypse hit. 

Tip:  Avoid the selling and buying of houses (especially on contingency) during coronapocalypses.  It is not pretty. 

There are plusses, though:  Dh is home (because the whole world is home) so he's helpful while not using up tons of vacation time. All the things are cancelled (because the whole world is cancelled) so there's no awkward backing out of commitments.  None of us are worried about food or toilet paper because there's no time to eat, hence, no need for either.  And our once very heavily traveled local road is now a tranquil haven of rural bliss.  I haven't seen a truck in days. 

Sooo.... all to say I'm trying to be grateful but hope normalcy will return in a few weeks.  Prayers appreciated!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

I just watched my crawling, weird movie for the year- Ad Astra. As soon as it started, I said it reminded me of 2001: A Space Odyssey. Definitely the directors million dollar therapy.  A little gruesome, too, with “splats” happening. Yuck! Still, Tommy Lee Jones and Donald Sutherland are always a joy to watch. Brad Pitt is good. I just can’t get past his sad personal life.

Captain decided not to go to sleep until past 10pm. We even took a bit of a walk today to wear him out! Maybe he will sleep in.

I’m having second thoughts about hiring people to paint my house. Scotsman thinks I’m silly. I suppose I am since there have been less than 80 cases in all of Texas, so Scotsman tells me. I’m worried about the money, too. Things are so uncertain right now. Is it really wise to spend? Granted- I have spackling patches on every wall. I can see in my mind how it will look when it’s all done, and it is beautiful. The painter is coming tomorrow morning to give me an estimate, so I will decide then.

There have been 80 cases found; we're still abysmally behind on testing in the US.

A single person in your house isn't likely to be a big risk though.

• Like 3

Back from the store.  It wasn't super crazy.  Just after I got on line, they started sending everyone to one line and bringing them to the open registers as space came available.  I wore gloves but only one other customer was.  A few employees were.   

Almost no bread, no tp, no alcohol, no Smartfood popcorn which was weird and surprising.  I'm hoping we can get away without shopping for at least a couple weeks.  Maybe just pop in somewhere for milk. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, maize said:

There have been 80 cases found; we're still abysmally behind on testing in the US.

A single person in your house isn't likely to be a big risk though.

Yeah. That's the thing. Currently in my state, we have one test per 1000 people. So for every one test that is run, there are many others not being tested. I wasn't tested yesterday because I was not sick enough or in a high-risk group. I was told that if I tested negative for everything, I was to stay in quarantine for two weeks, and that's more or less a presumptive diagnosis. So...

• Like 4

Good Morning!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We've come to the conclusion that our new dryer is a dud.  We have experimented with all the settings but still have to run even modest-sized loads through two or three times.  I'm guessing we need to look for another brand/model.  I miss my old Fisher & Paykel.

It's raining this morning, but should clear up by lunchtime.  Planning to go on a short hike.  Do you think national parks will stay open?  I know that NM parks are closed for camping until mid-April, but I am hoping they will be open by mid-May for our Great Western Road Trip.  Keeping fingers crossed we don't have to cancel.

Dh is experiencing the frustration of people wanting their projects done in half the usual time allotted in a time when everything takes twice as long to accomplish because everyone around the world is working from home.

My arugula and red kale seeds from last year are sprouting nicely!

Coffee!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Back from the store.  It wasn't super crazy.  Just after I got on line, they started sending everyone to one line and bringing them to the open registers as space came available.  I wore gloves but only one other customer was.  A few employees were.   

Almost no bread, no tp, no alcohol, no Smartfood popcorn which was weird and surprising.  I'm hoping we can get away without shopping for at least a couple weeks.  Maybe just pop in somewhere for milk. 

I have dried milk powder, and we will use that if needed. But also hoping to get away without shopping for at least two weeks. I had prepped for two weeks of quarantine anyway.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good Morning!  Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We've come to the conclusion that our new dryer is a dud.  We have experimented with all the settings but still have to run even modest-sized loads through two or three times.  I'm guessing we need to look for another brand/model.  I miss my old Fisher & Paykel.

It's raining this morning, but should clear up by lunchtime.  Planning to go on a short hike.  Do you think national parks will stay open?  I know that NM parks are closed for camping until mid-April, but I am hoping they will be open by mid-May for our Great Western Road Trip.  Keeping fingers crossed we don't have to cancel.

Dh is experiencing the frustration of people wanting their projects done in half the usual time allotted in a time when everything takes twice as long to accomplish because everyone around the world is working from home.

My arugula and red kale seeds from last year are sprouting nicely!

Coffee!

I haven't heard about national or state parks, but it would surprise me if they stayed open, honestly.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

We slept in this morning! DH is working from home this week, kids’ school is closed now. Why bother getting up. I was supposed to hare an eye doctor appt. today. I didn’t hear one way or the other, so I guess I will call before I leave.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

I haven't heard about national or state parks, but it would surprise me if they stayed open, honestly.

It looks like they have closed parks that tend to have crowds - National Monument, Statue of Liberty, Alcatraz, etc.  "Wilderness" parks are still open at this point.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 2