Menu

Ignore this thread!

I don't think anyplace is testing very much.   Only a few places where they developed their own tests.

My usual Thursday - three classes, gym/tkd (which I think we're skipping tonight).

I have two sisters not coming to class for now because one is immune-compromised.   I have three weeks left (after this week) to my current session, then one week off and one last 8 week session for the year.  I'm really wondering what's going to happen.   My classes are pretty small - 4 to 12 students with only one being over 8 students - so I'm not sure if people will want to continue or not.   I think I'm going to ask as things develop and decide then.   It will suck having to pay my rent and utilities without any money coming in but we can manage it for a while thanks to dh's salary.   

• Like 4

We have one positive test in our state, but I expect that's probably because we likely don't have enough tests in the state yet. Right now DH is wondering what they are going to do with his job and how he's supposed to work remotely. I can't work remotely, but I don't work much, and regardless of whether there's COVID about, cats and dogs won't stop needing medical care.  But today's our last day in town for art (working out if we want to take spring and early summer off to work at home) and I think I will go ahead and speak with the writers' group about the issue next meeting now that we have a confirmed case. So it may be a long, quiet spring for me.

• Like 3

I am in lockdown.  Not that it varies a whole lot from my norm.  When you only have limited stamina, getting out for anything other than grocery shopping requires advanced thought and planning and recovery time afterwards.  I am also masking when I go to the grocery store and pharmacy.  But don't worry.  These masks were already in my house from the last flu/cold season when I also masked when out.  I also do have a virus (as opposed to THE virus, which I do not have) and do not want to either pass it on or add THE virus or flu on top of it.

• Like 5

Did I tell you that I talked to my elderly boss (from my campus job decades ago) yesterday?  Her retirement home (as are all in our entire state) is in lockdown.  I wanted to check in with her for some needed social interaction.  Except that she's running circles around me at 80 something!  She works out in their gym for an hour a day.  Plus walks outside for an hour.  Puts me to shame! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I just ordered groceries online and elected to have store pick-up.  A long time ago I had actual home delivery of groceries when I was a semi-invalid.  But now getting to the grocery store and walking the aisles is part of my mobility routine.  So having them walk the aisles and then bring it out to my car seems like a step backward for me.  But I decided that the social and mobility aspects of going to the store were outweighed by my need to "shelter in place" for the next few weeks.  I am grateful for all the different options available to us. 

• Like 4

DS and I are still sick (cause unknown, but C19 is confirmed in our metro area), with no plans to leave the house sooner than Monday at the earliest. I'm keeping school light. DH is working from home, but I may send him out for medicine later.

Kitty burst into my bedroom dramatically at 5:20 AM and went spelunking in DH's closet for reasons unclear to me, but I was already awake.

• Like 4

Just now, Spudater said:

Me too. Makes me wonder,though, why people think they need to rush out and buy three months worth of TP. Even if you get sickand can’t leave home, you can order it to be delivered now,so why hoard?

No idea!  Though dh (who lives under a rock when it comes to the news) was so shocked when he went to Costco over the weekend and there was no toilet paper. . .   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

All our activities, except the girls's instrument lessons (so far), have been cancelled or put on remote learning.  Dh's office will be shut down starting tomorrow and he'll be working from home for the next several(?) weeks.  svengo.  Oh, church is still on. 😊  Only one event has been cancelled that I really care about right now - the lecture by Carolyn Weber.  😭😭😭😭

Time for exercise.  Should I watch a nature show or "Outbreak"? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

The way things are going dd might not be having any St. Pat’s performances.  Which is fine. 
I guess I ought to start thinking up craft ideas or something. 

We have three performances scheduled at local elementary schools; I haven't heard of cancellations yet but they may be coming--another school district nearby announced that all assemblies would be cancelled.

The Saint Patrick's Day parade on Saturday got called off, though we were not scheduled to participate this year.

56 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

So, if you saw my chat board post you know that we are replacing the fuel line on my car thanks to rodent chews. 
Now we also have a roof leak. 
And my ds’s state swim meet was cancelled. That’s 3 things, so we’re good now, right?

Yep, not more bad stuff allowed for the rest of the week!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way things are going dd might not be having any St. Pat’s performances.  Which is fine. 

By the way Spud, how long have you guys been involved in Irish dance? My oldest started when she was nine, so I guess seven years for us. It's been quite the adventure!

• Like 2

I bought more green dark chocolate mint m&ms and Andes Mints in preparation for St. Patrick's Day. 😁 I need to make plans for Pi(e) Day.

• Like 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Friday!!!!

Field Trip! We’re going to see one of the gorgeous California Missions - San Luis Obispo de Toloso. It’s about a 3 hour drive. Then we are going to the beach for a quick lunch and coming home. I love the mission, but I hate driving , so I am noit really looking forward to this., bu.

We are wait ing to see if DD’s Washington DC trip and if our Mexico mission trip get cancelled.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Kristi, dd and I were going to DC in a couple weeks with homeschool group and the group made the decision to cancel because several of our scheduled tours were cancelled and Federal buildings are likely to close as well. 

The Smithsonians and the zoo are also closed.

ETA: It's a sad booyah.  

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Morning. Lots of cancellations going on here, too. It's going to be an interesting and very pioneering kind of spring and summer. My garden may look very, very good this summer with all the work that will go into it because there's nothing else to do. I've told the boys that we will find time and places to hike and swim in the rivers on days when there won't be a lot of people, like we usually do, but we may not be the only families doing that. May have to get creative.

I'm not sure what the libraries are doing with the social distancing, but I mean to find out this weekend. Speak of the devil, they just sent an email! Awesome. Going to be a very long summer without my libraries, but again, the garden will sure look nice.

• Like 4

Hi.  Late start to my day which meant that my morning chores just got done now a little after noon.  I've had two bad muscle nights in a row.  (No pickle juice, Susan!  But I keep forgetting to pick-up the tonic water with quinine that my doc wants me to drink.  The mental block there might just be that I hate the taste of tonic water!) 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

So after some feedback from parents, lots of absent students this week, discussing it with dh, we've decided to suspend all my classes for at least the next three weeks.  That brings us to the end of our current 8 week session.  We'll reassess then (although I think things are going to look worse then, even if they aren't actually worse).    

No classes, no 4-H, no other outside activities.  I can't remember the last time I had this kind of free time.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi.  Late start to my day which meant that my morning chores just got done now a little after noon.  I've had two bad muscle nights in a row.  (No pickle juice, Susan!  But I keep forgetting to pick-up the tonic water with quinine that my doc wants me to drink.  The mental block there might just be that I hate the taste of tonic water!) 

I would rather drink pickle juice than tonic water! 😩

• Thanks 1

I have a horrible cough today. I'm 99% sure this was caused by leaving the windows open last night (very hot yesterday) because I have no fever, I don't feel bad, my nose is running, I'm sneezing on and off, and my eyes itch. Still, not looking forward to work tomorrow because I'll get the evil eye if I even swallow a cough. 

• Sad 1

Good morning/afternoon/evening!  Happy Friday the 13th!

My day is all discombobulated with dh working from home.

I just heard in the news that banning travel to the UK is being considered.  This would make me very very sad.  

The two youngest and I are about to start making pies in preparation for tomorrow.  They want to make apple and pumpkin.

Coffee!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

My hope is that in a couple weeks everyone will realize that people are not dropping like flies and things will go back to normal, except that my kids will have gained the habit of washing their hands.

Me too!!!!

For now, I guess I need to go erase a bunch of stuff off my calendar and figure out what we're going to do besides stare at screens all afternoon and evening.  

• Like 1

My grocery pickup order for this evening was cancelled because they were overwhelmed by the volume/size of orders.  I'm going to try again tomorrow.

SAT has been cancelled.

Most of our other activities have been cancelled.

Our state's governor closed all schools.  However, he does not have jurisdiction over my school, so classes will continue as usual.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Junie said:

My grocery pickup order for this evening was cancelled because they were overwhelmed by the volume/size of orders.  I'm going to try again tomorrow.

SAT has been cancelled.

Most of our other activities have been cancelled.

Our state's governor closed all schools.  However, he does not have jurisdiction over my school, so classes will continue as usual.

My school will stay open as usual. The students were not particularly amused.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think it's also buying in case of a two week quarantine on your house. Understandable, but annoying. We are trying to get only what we absolutely need. Living out like we do, it's rare that we grocery shop more than once a week for most things, and if something doesn't get on the list, we do without until the next trip. Main thing I'm going to miss are the libraries, my art class, and the writing group. But all the artists are set up and we text and email each other a lot, and the writing group is fairly connected as well, with some of us on Twitter, and everyone has email. We'll get along. This afternoon after I get back from the big city, I'll draft a letter to suspend the group until further notice, probably into the summer depending on what happens with the cases in our state. We just started getting diagnoses in two different towns, but most people are already shutting down gatherings in advance of more cases.

• Like 3

Good morning!  Happy Pi(e) Day!!

Dh is making egg pie (quiche) for breakfast.  We have take-and-bake pizza pie and pumpkin pie in the fridge for dinner.

The 5K that dh was going to do with dd21 this morning was cancelled but we are going to make a picnic lunch and drive down to see her anyway - bringing her some supplies and vegetarian food and an apple pie and camping gear for spring break.  

I bought 8 lbs of strawberries at Aldi yesterday - Thanks for sending us strawberries, Florida! - and I need to get them in the freezer.

Coffee!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!  Happy Pi(e) Day!!

Dh is making egg pie (quiche) for breakfast.  We have take-and-bake pizza pie and pumpkin pie in the fridge for dinner.

The 5K that dh was going to do with dd21 this morning was cancelled but we are going to make a picnic lunch and drive down to see her anyway - bringing her some supplies and vegetarian food and an apple pie and camping gear for spring break.  

I bought 8 lbs of strawberries at Aldi yesterday - Thanks for sending us strawberries, Florida! - and I need to get them in the freezer.

Coffee!

You’re welcome

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Could you please send some this way?  There were none in the stores last night.  Thank you!

I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t promise anything. 

Got any toilet paper to trade?  That will go a long way in the negotiations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Ironically today is the birthdayof the family member whodoesn’t like pie. But he does like math.

Doesn’t like pie?  And you admit to this person being a part of your family?

The world has indeed gone mad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good Morning!!!
COFFEE!!!!

Saturday!!!!

Well, the Apocalyse happened yesterday. Basically all the schools in the state shut down. We went on our field trip to the Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa and found out we were the last docent lead tour until further notice. Our Mexico trip was cancelled and we will likely find out soon that the DC trip is cancelled, or hopefully just postponed. I’m sorry, I don’t mean to seem calloused or flippant, and I do think measure need to be taken for at risk groups, but good grief.... so much kneee-jerk policy going on without a thought to consequences. DD mentioned she didn’t feel good yesterday.  She has allergies for crying out loud. Everyone is sniffing, sneekizng and coughing around here like they do EVERY YEAR at this time, which is why everyone and their brother is on allergy shots.  Her teacher kicked her out of class, wouldn’t even let her come in for her books, the office said she had to go home and made her sit outside while she waited for. Y mom to come pick her up. Yes, I am ticked off.

• Sad 4

Happy Pi Day, ITT!

I'm making our usual crustless pumpkin pie.

I was mixing the filling and trying to figure out why it didn't look like the right color, though I had gotten to the end of the ingredients list.

Um, I got out the pumpkin but forgot to put it in, that's why. 😝

Not running on all cylinders! Problem solved & it's in the oven now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Spudater said:

You know, when there’s a natural disaster it’s usually really edifying seeing how it often brings out the best in ordinary people. I feel like this virus is doing the opposite. 

My Nextdoor has had multiple people stepping up to offer food for low-income families who have to deal with kids at home, with shopping for the elderly and other offers of free help. 

• Like 4