Menu

Ignore this thread!

11 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Am I the only person who doesn't like/use hand sanitizer? Seriously, my aunt goes NUTS if she thinks she's running out. Every time I've ever used it, my hands feel gross and a little sticky even after they dry and then itch like mad. If I choose to ignore it and continue using it anyway, my hands eventually start rashing and peeling.

I don't usually use hand sanitizer either, which is why we don't have any right now.

I do wash my hands often.  Not OCD often, but really, really often.

• Like 3

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

5A

I woke up really early this morning. Cats fighting on the roof work me up and my mind was racing and I couldn’t fall back to sleep. Not much going on today. School as usual for the little girls. The older kids’ teachers are posting funny videos to get the kids excited about school on-line.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KrissiK said:

So, I got myself into this biography/memoir thing again. I do enjoy them, but... I’m reading three at one time and I’m getting bogged down and I need to read a novel or something to make me happy. So, do I keep reading all three of the, or do I pour into one at a time and finish them that way? I refuse to start another book until I finish at least two of the three I am reading.

I can't read more than one book at a time.  I would eventually drop all of them and pick up a Bertie and Jeeves novel.  😄  So if I was in your situation, I'd finish one at a time, and maybe insert a short fun novel between if necessary.

• Like 2

Good morning!

We've been having breakfast a half hour later than normal since work people don't have to leave for offices.  They are often working before breakfast anyway, which is usual.  They are going to try to livestream church service on Sunday morning.  Some of us were scheduled to help with music, so we will go in anyway.  

Any recommendations for an iron supplement for dd17?  Her iron is still low.  Stupidly, they won't let her fill out HIPPA forms unless she has an actual appointment with the doctor, so I can't talk with them about anything.  Her next appointment is in February.  🙄

Coffee!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spudater said:

Dh was able to find seeds yesterday when he was hunting for tp. 🙂. Still no tp but we do have sugar snap pea and cilantro seeds to plant today. 

Yay for seeds!  Dd13 and I were discussing seeds this morning.  We think we have a basil sprouting, but no carrots or cilantro yet.  Not sure how long they usually take to sprout.  All my leafy green sprouts are looking good - spinach, arugula, kale, green butter and rocky top mix, and romaine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Junie said:

My sister is having a hard time.  Her boyfriend/significant other lives in Canada.  They kind of travel back and forth between the US and Canada.  Now they will be separated for an unknown amount of time.

I'm hoping to send her a care package, but I have to figure out what to send first.  She and I live very different lives.  We are religious and political opposites.  She has no kids.  And, she can't really go anywhere (just like the rest of us).  If anyone has any ideas, let me know. 🙂

ETA:  I want to encourage my sister.  Booyah!

Gift cards that she can spend on books to read. Sorry, I got nothing. That's what I'd want. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Dh was able to find seeds yesterday when he was hunting for tp. 🙂. Still no tp but we do have sugar snap pea and cilantro seeds to plant today. 

I'm so glad we have lots of seeds! 

Our pumpkins, squash, and watermelons are sprouting (started these inside because some of them are giant varieties and need the time), and the spinach is up in the raised beds. I'm going to start my nasturtiums in the hanging baskets today, and this weekend, if I've got my energy back, I'm going to weed the front flower beds and plan on growing peppers and tomatoes there as the pumpkins take over the garden. 

And our lemon trees are coming next week!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ikslo said:

Metal Earth 3D Laser Cut Models

Cookies

Chocolate 

Swedish Fish

a journal

a sketch pad

an etch a sketch (because they are still totally cool)

new earbuds

fuzzy socks

I'm applying to be your sister. When can I expect my care package?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

I have to talk to dh about starting some seeds.  I don't think we planted anything last year.  Our raised beds are being invaded by evergreen roots so things weren't growing well so we did containers.  But that limited what we could grow.   We bought a ton of dirt for a project at the science center, so we can use that to maybe refresh the raised beds and see what we can plant.    We'll have more room to start seeds since we can put things in the windows at the science center as long as classes aren't happening.    I planted space tomatoes (tomatosphere project, seeds that went to space), beans and flowers with a couple classes the last week we met.  

But it's supposed to be in the 70's tomorrow and 4 inches of snow on Monday so it's still early to plant things around here.

• Like 5

We had a (mostly) empty flowerbed on the side of the house out front after ripping out some plants we didn’t care for.  I just planted some vegetable seeds the other day. Never done veggies in FL and am told it is hard because of the heat, but this area gets a decent amount of shade.  We’ll see. I’m more worried about the wild ducks eating everything!  I just need to keep it well watered.  Maybe put up a little fence or something.

In other food news, I have two pineapples growing out front this year!  And three other pineapple tops I planted that appear to have rooted and are getting new leaves.  ❤️

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

My feeling is if you aren’t so engrossed that you ignore everything to read the book - it’s not worth reading 🤣

Well, generally, that is my feeling, too. But, my George HW Bush bio has gotten a little boring. It’s the 1980 election and he’s running against Regan. It’s interesting and I’m learning a ton, but captivating it is not. The Rosalind Goforth book is good and I’m learning a lot and it’s good for me to read, but honestly, she irritates the carp out of me. And the latest book I picked up is a bio of Margaret Douglas, the niece of King Henry VIII, and you really can’t beat Renaissance British Royalty for scandal and intrigue, but all the women are named wither Margaret’s Mary, Katherine or Anne and it’s hard to keep everyone straight. The author is great, Alison Weir, and I have read a lot of her books. I actually recently bought two of her books - this one and a bio of the life of Katherine Swynford, a 15th century woman who is some ancestor of the Tudors.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well, generally, that is my feeling, too. But, my George HW Bush bio has gotten a little boring. It’s the 1980 election and he’s running against Regan. It’s interesting and I’m learning a ton, but captivating it is not. The Rosalind Goforth book is good and I’m learning a lot and it’s good for me to read, but honestly, she irritates the carp out of me. And the latest book I picked up is a bio of Margaret Douglas, the niece of King Henry VIII, and you really can’t beat Renaissance British Royalty for scandal and intrigue, but all the women are named wither Margaret’s Mary, Katherine or Anne and it’s hard to keep everyone straight. The author is great, Alison Weir, and I have read a lot of her books. I actually recently bought two of her books - this one and a bio of the life of Katherine Swynford, a 15th century woman who is some ancestor of the Tudors.

Just my opinion, but:

Too many books requiring thinking at one time - that’s your problem! 

You need to pick one, and supplement that with something FUN and EASY when you need a break from it.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

In other food news, I have two pineapples growing out front this year!  And three other pineapple tops I planted that appear to have rooted and are getting new leaves.  ❤️

Spike and Florence are on my back deck in large pots.  I don't know if I planted them right, but we'll see eventually.  I just plopped them in the dirt and gave them a good watering.  I need to get my thing of celery out of the fridge and try rooting it.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Just my opinion, but:

Too many books requiring thinking at one time - that’s your problem! 

You need to pick one, and supplement that with something FUN and EASY when you need a break from it.  

Well, you’re right about that. That is my problem. Everything requires too much thinking.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, ikslo said:

So DS's phone is an iPhone SE and apparently can't get the free audible stories. He has my phone now (temporarily) and I want it back!! 😑

It's been 5 minutes and I'm going through withdrawal.  Send help.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I went to the garden store.

I spent money.

I have a new variety of kiwi to try growing.

And some other plants.

And seeds.

Also, we lost two hens last week (raccoon we think) so we got three new chicks. But we somehow now have seven chicks in the brooder. I may or may not have entered the farm supply store too many times this past week.

Edited by maize
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Can you use a laptop or desktop computer?

Yes.  That’s how I posted.  But I was just lamenting the loss of an appendage is all.  He got bored after one chapter of Irish Folk Tales, though, and gave me my phone back. 🤪😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Breakfast for dinner!

I've been horribly depressed most of the day. Couldn't figure it out, then remembered that I finished a round of revision yesterday, I'm waiting for April camp to revise the next story, and I don't have anything drafting at the moment. Bingo! Post-project stuff. I got paint out and started working, and I'll work on my bookmarks tonight. This too shall pass.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I don't foresee a need to get groceries for a few days, though if we run out of cheese there may be some Very Grumpy People to deal with.  And in reality we have enough in the house to keep us going for a good long while.  I need to stop ordering books.  I sure wish I had known the library was going to shut down - I would have checked out as many books and DVD's as possible - no late fees! 

• Like 3

Good morning!

All sheets are in the washing machine and I practiced mandolin.  The G chop chord is a real bugger.  Unfortunately, it is also a very popular chord amongst the tunes.

Lynette's flowers are blooming.  They smell so pretty! She dropped her last leaf last night.  I don't know what this means for a lemon tree - all flowers and no leaves?  Krissi, I need advice from your family.

We're going on a hike this afternoon.  

Coffee!

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy Saturday.  

Dh is now working from home full time.  His bosses told him they didn't want him coming into the office despite being alone in his office.  So that should be fun.  

I cleaned around the house yesterday, today I'm heading over to the science center to do some cleaning over there.   It will give me a chance to play my music super loud and sing along.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D (In my Avengers mug this morning!! I really hope the Black Widow movie still comes out this spring. If I could be any one, I’d be her. Or Sydney Bristow)

6A

I guess we’ll do some housework today. People are talking about planting victory gardens. Hmph. I have no place to plant a garden unless I take out some trees.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

All sheets are in the washing machine and I practiced mandolin.  The G chop chord is a real bugger.  Unfortunately, it is also a very popular chord amongst the tunes.

Lynette's flowers are blooming.  They smell so pretty! She dropped her last leaf last night.  I don't know what this means for a lemon tree - all flowers and no leaves?  Krissi, I need advice from your family.

We're going on a hike this afternoon.  

Coffee!

Ack, Willy nilly. I have no idea about Lynette. I’ll go with what Ikslo said. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ikslo said:

Lynn, it’s potted, right?  How’s the drainage?  You could have root rot from overwatering.  Just a guess.  

Yes, it's potted - that could be it.  I'm not good about watering and never know if I'm over-watering or underwatering.  She might also be grumpy because she has to be inside all winter and doesn't get direct sunlight and it's still too cold to put her outside.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Yes, it's potted - that could be it.  I'm not good about watering and never know if I'm over-watering or underwatering.  She might also be grumpy because she has to be inside all winter and doesn't get direct sunlight and it's still too cold to put her outside.

Is it a pot with drainage holes and a tray underneath?  Or no drainage?

5 year old wants the iPad.

5 year old lost iPad privileges for the day because she hit Mommy.

5 year old keeps attempting to get iPad back by throwing things and hitting.

5 year old is in time out.

5 year old has no conception of action leading to consequence.

Sigh.

• Sad 8

4 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Wondering if I should look into the possibility of a home birth? I'm not sure if my insurance would even cover it, but with all that's going on, I can't imagine not at least looking into it. I don't want to risk the lives of my entire household for the comfort of a hospital and an epidural. I'd feel so selfish! I've had no complications with my other births. Maybe this will all blow over by my due date, but with the projections on the news this morning, I'm definitely asking my OB during our phone appointment next week.

If I were pregnant right now, that’s what I’d be aiming for.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I don't foresee a need to get groceries for a few days, though if we run out of cheese there may be some Very Grumpy People to deal with.  And in reality we have enough in the house to keep us going for a good long while.  I need to stop ordering books.  I sure wish I had known the library was going to shut down - I would have checked out as many books and DVD's as possible - no late fees! 

Argh! Me too. But we did order a few books to read, and I was able to get an app that lets me check out books and read them on my phone. It's not my favorite, but we do what we have to do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I painted this morning, finishing up four book marks. Now I need to put the colors down for when I paint them again, although I'm now getting to where I can look at a painting or a photo and start seeing the paint mixes I would use to recreate a color. I need to order more watercolor paper and two colors that I'm about out of, though. I could get one thing in town, but why do that when I can get everything in one spot? 

I am still coughing quite a bit, but no more fever. I may take the day to do a tiny bit of cleaning, and then see about lying down this afternoon to either rest and/or read. Still just don't have a ton of energy to do things, and it's cold outside today.

• Like 5

Went to the science center, fed the turtle and the cockroaches, sorted some legos, listened to some music.  Just a little break from things and a change of scenery.  

For some reason every place is out of Smartfood cheddar popcorn.   I don't understand why.   I mean, I love that stuff but I never realized it was so popular.  I was in the store the other day and they had all the other kids of chips and popcorn, but no Smartfood.   I miss my Smartfood.  😒

• Like 6