Menu

Ignore this thread!

So, I pointed out to dh that if he wanted to go somewhere quieter to work, he could always go to the science center.   He thought that was a good idea so I think that's what is going to happen.  Of course, that means I can't be there playing loud music at the same time he's there.  So we may need to take turns or something.  He's a super early bird so he can go from 6am to noon, then I'll go in the afternoon.   That should work.  🤣

At home, there's only two surface that he can work at.  He hooks his laptop up to a really big monitor to work because he looks at documents with all kinds of graphs and charts in them.   His options here are the table where I set up the kids school, or my desk that is always covered with other papers.   My desk is better, but it's right in the path between the kitchen and living room, which makes it less than ideal.  

• Like 5

Dh also spoke to the kids about cutting down on their eating and being careful to not waste anything.  Dd has a tendency to put too much milk on her cereal and then dump the excess, and ds overfills his plate and sometimes can't finish.  So he asked them both to be more aware and careful to not waste anything because we don't know if things will continue to be available.   Made sure they understoood that we would have plenty of food, just that it might not be the things they are used to having available.   Ugh.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Dh also spoke to the kids about cutting down on their eating and being careful to not waste anything.  Dd has a tendency to put too much milk on her cereal and then dump the excess, and ds overfills his plate and sometimes can't finish.  So he asked them both to be more aware and careful to not waste anything because we don't know if things will continue to be available.   Made sure they understoood that we would have plenty of food, just that it might not be the things they are used to having available.   Ugh.  

We've had that discussion about not wasting things, too. Mostly about the use of paper towels vs towels we can wash.  

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I'm absolutely killing the very beginning levels of Duolingo Japanese.  🙂

So impressive 😄

By the way, since we have a few Japanese speakers or Japanese learners on here, did y'all see that the stories.audible.com link has some Japanese selections? There's the first Magic Treehouse book for those that would benefit from something fairly simple. You could get the print book from Amazon and follow along (I'm trying that because my reading level in Japanese is very low).

they've also got selections in Spanish, French, German, and Italian as well.

Also, gardenmom5 posted on the chat board that Rosetta Stone is offering three months free, looks like you can choose any language.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We had a discussion about which clothes articles could only be worn once (underwear) and clothes that could be worn 2-3 time before washing, provided they were not visibly soiled or smelly (jeans, sweatshirts worn over t-shirts.) I am starting to run out of detergent.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We had a discussion about which clothes articles could only be worn once (underwear) and clothes that could be worn 2-3 time before washing, provided they were not visibly soiled or smelly (jeans, sweatshirts worn over t-shirts.) I am starting to run out of detergent.

You can wash laundry without detergent and it still mostly gets clean, partly because there is already detergent residue on everything.

If I were running low I'd start using half the detergent I usually do.

• Like 6

We went for a hike.  In the mud.  Eventually we ditched the muddy trail and finished on the paved path.  Half the city was there with their dogs - but we were still socially acceptably distant.

All hotels, lodges, visitors centers, shops, restaurants, and museums are closed and shuttle buses, tours, classes, expeditions, trains, and whatnot have been cancelled at the Grand Canyon.  The campground and trails, however, are still OPEN!! I'm hopeful!! Everything is scheduled to reopen and start back up the day we leave.  At the very least, it means we may have a very quiet and uncrowded visit.

• Like 3

There's a state park nearby that you have to cross a causeway to enter; we've been a handful of times this spring and Dh was considering taking the kids there today. He's glad now he decided on the waterfall hike instead--friends who opted for the state park said they had to wait for two hours in a line of cars to get in--I guess everyone decided to go do nature stuff since the weather was nice and all indoor recreation stuff is closed.

There were a lot of people out hiking where he and the kids went as well, but no waiting in lines! There's only a single lane for people entering the state park and everyone has to stop and pay the entrance fee so I guess it just takes a long time if gazillions of people decide to go all in the same day. There weren't any events or anything going on, just people wanting to get out of their houses on the weekend.

• Like 2

Morning, ITT. DH went out for the weekly grocery run. Reminded the boys again that what we are used to having is now not going to be easy to get, and we aren't going a million places to find it. We'll make do with what we have. 

Other than that, I'm still resting up after being sick last week. I have a couple of books I want to start revising this week, and I think that will go a long way toward improving my mood. We ordered books on fishing and giant pumpkin growing along with a few books for me (one writing craft books, a few novels), and I have a few art supplies that I was low on coming in (watercolor paper, two tubes of paint that are staples, and a sketchbook for one boy who has almost used all of his up).

• Like 5

Morning.  dh took another trip to the store this morning.  He has always done the majority of the grocery shopping since he does the majority of the cooking.   Now, he's old enough to go to the early hours for seniors, but he's also higher risk due to being a senior and male.  So I'm torn.  I have asthma so I'm also higher risk.  He did say he wore gloves while shopping so at least he's taking this seriously.  

We have an extra full size fridge/freezer at the science center so we're storing some stuff there.   I also have tons of flour, baking soda, yeast and other things that are useful for science experiments but can also be used for food.    

• Like 5

Good Morning!

Happy Sunday!

We're doing online church.  Also, our Sunday School teacher posted a lesson on youtube as did our children's church teacher.  The children's church lesson was fun for the girls as it included a puppet show done by some of dd17's best friends. :)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Morning!!

Church at home here once everyone wakes up. Scotsman is doing the lesson again.
 I read a bunch of virus doom and gloom threads. I need to not do that because I was all worked up until 1 am.

Scotsman shared a quote from an article about the relief package Congress wants to pass. $1200/adult and $500/child. And just where is all that money going to come from? 

Yeah, stay away from doom and gloom stuff as much as you can. There's so much out there right now. 

How about some happy news from me? The first Giant Pumpkin is about to break the potting soil surface. By tonight, we should have a really big pumpkin baby! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Yeah, stay away from doom and gloom stuff as much as you can. There's so much out there right now. 

How about some happy news from me? The first Giant Pumpkin is about to break the potting soil surface. By tonight, we should have a really big pumpkin baby! 

Happy Birthday Great Pumpkin!  

• Like 2

We are planning to have our Social Distancing Music from the Front Porch on Wednesday evening.  Looks like we'll have a break from the rain that day.  I have notified the kids that I will be playing along with them because I want to.  Some are OK with this and others not so much but that's too bad. 😄

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We are planning to have our Social Distancing Music from the Front Porch on Wednesday evening.  Looks like we'll have a break from the rain that day.  I have notified the kids that I will be playing along with them because I want to.  Some are OK with this and others not so much but that's too bad. 😄

Will you be live streaming?  ❤️

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm making a big pot of mashed potatoes today because I want them. Also a roast (frozen beef), steamed cauliflower, and probably some kind of stovetop pudding for dinner. 

Now I'm going to do some reading, and rewrite two first chapters just because I want to.

• Like 4

I need to decide how I'm going to do things going forward.   I have absolutely no problem with staying home.  I'm pretty introverted, along with the rest of my family.  But I need a purpose.  I just need to decide where to focus that purpose, which will depend on how long we think this will all go on.   I'm feeling some decision paralysis - I have a lot of options for how and what to do, I just can't seem to decide on a plan to do them.  

Cleaning/organizing the house and garage are on the agenda regardless of other things.  It needs to be done, I will do it during this available time.   I plan to go room by room and write up what needs to be done, then take a certain amount of time each day doing it.  I think I'll do a room each day doing items from the check list, so each room is hit at least once a week.   We only have 6 rooms so that should work.   Garage will depend on weather and dh helping.

Everything else depends on how long things are going to last.  In particular, how long it's likely to be before I can start my classes up again.   Will I be returning this school year?  Unlikely IMO.   Will I be running summer camps?   Maybe.  How about September?  Will I be able to open and start classes again in September?   Hopefully, because if it goes on longer than that, odds of us being able to continue go down.  

Do I continue homeschooling as we have been, which is arranged with the idea that I won't be home during the day?  Or do I switch things back to a more traditional homeschool set up where we are doing more things together?    How much effort do I put into establishing new routines if they may only be needed for a month?  How about if they are needed for two months?  Six months?  What effect is dh being home going to have on things?  

Do I work on finalizing plans for my current classes?   Make plans for summer camps?   Start working on next year?  Work on the idea of cleaning up my plans for sale or to hand out to students?   

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Where's Toto? said:

I need to decide how I'm going to do things going forward.   I have absolutely no problem with staying home.  I'm pretty introverted, along with the rest of my family.  But I need a purpose.  I just need to decide where to focus that purpose, which will depend on how long we think this will all go on.   I'm feeling some decision paralysis - I have a lot of options for how and what to do, I just can't seem to decide on a plan to do them.  

Cleaning/organizing the house and garage are on the agenda regardless of other things.  It needs to be done, I will do it during this available time.   I plan to go room by room and write up what needs to be done, then take a certain amount of time each day doing it.  I think I'll do a room each day doing items from the check list, so each room is hit at least once a week.   We only have 6 rooms so that should work.   Garage will depend on weather and dh helping.

Everything else depends on how long things are going to last.  In particular, how long it's likely to be before I can start my classes up again.   Will I be returning this school year?  Unlikely IMO.   Will I be running summer camps?   Maybe.  How about September?  Will I be able to open and start classes again in September?   Hopefully, because if it goes on longer than that, odds of us being able to continue go down.  

Do I continue homeschooling as we have been, which is arranged with the idea that I won't be home during the day?  Or do I switch things back to a more traditional homeschool set up where we are doing more things together?    How much effort do I put into establishing new routines if they may only be needed for a month?  How about if they are needed for two months?  Six months?  What effect is dh being home going to have on things?  

Do I work on finalizing plans for my current classes?   Make plans for summer camps?   Start working on next year?  Work on the idea of cleaning up my plans for sale or to hand out to students?   

It's kind of paralyzing, isn't it? I've been feeling a little that way myself this week. 

• Like 2

Oldest dd just sent a text, her boyfriends dad is pretty sure he has coronavirus.   Her boyfriend was with his dad yesterday, dd has been around her boyfriend the past couple of days.   She wanted to know if it was safe for her to go home, she lives with my mom.    I asked her if she could stay with her boyfriend.  She stays over there quite a bit but I don't know what his place is like, if it would work for her to stay there long term.  I know he has a roommate and owns his townhouse, but that's all I know.  And he's a cop, so he's still working.

That's awfully close to home. 

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I've been watching Grand Canyon hiking videos and have determined that it's time for us to start on a Hiking Preparatory Exercise Regimen.  Because going down is optional - coming back up is mandatory.  

When we went to the Grand Canyon, I took about two steps down the “Down Trail”, had a panic attack and came back up. The Grand Canyon is definitely not the place for someone who is severely acrophobic.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I was in such a flap a week ago trying to figure out short term and now that most all those decisions have been taken out of my hands it’s sinking in that I no longer feel at all certain enough to make long term plans and it’s hard not to get depressed. 

Yes.  I am happy that I have a bit of gardening to do.  A very little bit.  But it's very therapeutic to find itty bitty carrot sprouts growing today that wren't there yesterday.

• Like 1

Shout out to leftovers, the lowest-investment dinner ever.

Hugs to all of you, ITT, and remember to use video calling (Google Duo or Hangouts, Skype, Facetime, etc.) to stay connected with people when you can.

Now go wash your hands--I probably just got germs on this device.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

Shout out to leftovers, the lowest-investment dinner ever.

Hugs to all of you, ITT, and remember to use video calling (Google Duo or Hangouts, Skype, Facetime, etc.) to stay connected with people when you can.

Now go wash your hands--I probably just got germs on this device.

My parents, brother and SIL, sister and BIL, and niece and nephew and I all played games through an app last night called Houseparty.  You can actually see everyone.  It was a lot of fun!

I was thinking this morning how much worse this all would be if we didn't have electricity or the internet.  Thank the Lord for small (and large) mercies!

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I just realized I haven't driven anywhere in the last week and a day. I have decided that tomorrow's school day and every school day thereafter will include a boy driving me up to the graveyard and back. Might as well start practicing.

This is the most important part.

#ITTRegulations

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

Dh has said he planned to not go anywhere for the next two weeks, but evidently his work is still open.   He can work from home while doing paperwork, but will need to go in to work in the lab when necessary.  They are reducing what staff will be there at the same time, and evidently the lab is big enough for them to stay pretty far apart.   He's taking this pretty seriously so I"m sure he'll wear gloves while working.   That's really all he can do I guess.

The only place I"m going for now is to the science center and home.  I have to go take care of the animals.  It's pretty safe considering nobody else has been there in weeks except dh and I. 

• Like 4

Dd15 spends much of her time researching costumes, making (or revising) patterns, and sewing.  It truly is her passion and I am so thankful that homeschooling gives her lots of time to pursue it.

She mostly makes doll costumes and enjoys working with the smaller pieces.  Until a few months ago, she did only hand stitching.  A friend of ours from the church orchestra gifted her a really nice Singer sewing machine.  And dd15 has become a favorite of a lot of the older ladies at church who had fabric stashes that they didn't know what to do with. 😉

One of dh's co-workers just gifted her a dressform, so I'm hoping that she will be making more full-size items soon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

They are both almost completely self taught.  I think they watched a couple of videos here and there, or maybe got a pointer or two from someone, but really, they have just done this on their own.  And, yes, I am a proud mama. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2