Menu

Ignore this thread!

It's time to make lists of end-of-school-year gift books.  No one is scheduled to get the Chronicles of Narnia or LoTR or Harry Potter this year.  I might get ds15 Roughing It - he seems to enjoy Mark Twain.  I'll get dd21 Call the Nurse and maybe a couple children's books that she doesn't have yet.

Our malls finally closed so oldest dd no longer has to go in to work.  I don't know if they will be laying off employees or what.  She's actually the store manager so has a chance to be retained.  

We had raviolis with shrimp marinara for dinner tonight.   Dh isn't here and everyone is super impressed I know how to cook shrimp.  Okay so dh told me how to cook the shrimp - throw it in the hot sauce for 4 minutes.   We have frozen shrimp on hand all the time because ds (autistic, spd) eats very limited protein.  

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I just had to tell ds that kids can’t come to midwife appointments anymore (he cried). All publicmasses in my diocese just got cancelled. My in laws are worried that they’re going to be stranded in El Salv. And I open up my email to see “no worries, homeschool rollerskate is still on!”  🤪

well nuts.  we just got an email that said our roller skate night was cancelled!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Trying to decide which movie to see tonight. Everyone has an opinion and no one can agree.

We watched Frozen 2 last night and The (newer) Lion King tonight.  I think Coco is sometime later this week.

I am really appreciating my sister's gift of Disney+ for our family. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I just had to tell ds that kids can’t come to midwife appointments anymore (he cried). All publicmasses in my diocese just got cancelled. My in laws are worried that they’re going to be stranded in El Salv. And I open up my email to see “no worries, homeschool rollerskate is still on!”  🤪

Do your in laws live in El Salvador or are they visiting?  I visited once on a short-term missions trip many years ago.

• Like 1

Since we bought a new dvd player last month, I pulled out a big bin I have of DVD's.   Just about every single musical and dance/cheerleading movie from the past 20 years, plus a few from before that (Grease AND Grease 2), plus some general action movies.  A bunch of the Final Destination movies.  A bunch of Disney cartoons.  

Disaster movies are trending on Netflix so I watched 2012.   Watching Outbreak seems a little too on the nose right now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Trying to decide which movie to see tonight. Everyone has an opinion and no one can agree.

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

Mom decides. That’s the tie breaker here.

58 minutes ago, Junie said:

We watched Frozen 2 last night and The (newer) Lion King tonight.  I think Coco is sometime later this week.

I am really appreciating my sister's gift of Disney+ for our family. 🙂

I’m not sure who decided, but we watched “Cheaper by the Dozen” with SteveMartin and Bonnie Hunt. Love that movie.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

Disaster movies are trending on Netflix so I watched 2012.   Watching Outbreak seems a little too on the nose right now.

I tried watching Outbreak but it was so boring I stopped. 

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’m not sure who decided, but we watched “Cheaper by the Dozen” with SteveMartin and Bonnie Hunt. Love that movie.

❤️

I have a fairly difficult time watching Disney. We saw Frozen 2 the other day and it was terrible. Toy Story 4 was good. I’m an old fuddy-duddy. 

• Like 1

Good morning!

It’s going to be a warm day, with little spurts of rain here and there. My glider started squeaking so I only got half my exercise in this morning - dh was sleeping in a bit. Normal lessons today, meeting with health coach this morning, and a quick trip to Whole Foods and the grocery store. 

Coffee!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 10:36 PM, Paradox5 said:

I’m having second thoughts about hiring people to paint my house. Scotsman thinks I’m silly. I suppose I am since there have been less than 80 cases in all of Texas, so Scotsman tells me. I’m worried about the money, too. Things are so uncertain right now. Is it really wise to spend? Granted- I have spackling patches on every wall. I can see in my mind how it will look when it’s all done, and it is beautiful. The painter is coming tomorrow morning to give me an estimate, so I will decide then.

My husband called yesterday and said he basically got laid off at half day because of COVID. The people at the house he was working in didn't want anyone at the house anymore. He was working with one other person, and outside, so was pretty upset he's out of a job.

23 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

I have dried milk powder, and we will use that if needed. But also hoping to get away without shopping for at least two weeks. I had prepped for two weeks of quarantine anyway.

My mom looked everywhere for milk powder - none to be found. She bought canned milk. I told her we've used it as coffee creamer, or added water for regular milk when in a pinch.

13 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet now thinks that everyone is an ax murderer with COVID19. 

How'd you manage that, Jean?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Day 3 of Self-quarantine.

School for my homeschoolers today, as usual. The rest??? I don’t know. I’m getting tired of this and I’m getting tired of people’s over-reaction. I am not upset at being screened at the optometrist,  but some people at DH’s work are mad that he’s not getting tested. He was at a hotel that has 4600 rooms, two employees of the health spa tested positive. DHhas been home a week and is showing no symptoms. They aren’t even testing people who are low-risk and asymptomatic. And yet..... Chicken Little.  It’s like, somehow knowledge activates the virus. You could be in a grocery store with five people who have it, but if you don’t know it, you are fine. But if you are within a 50 mile radius of someone you know tested positive, all of the sudden you are Typhoid Mary.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

Just checked Harris County Libraries' website. They closed today through 1 April! I wish we had gone yesterday like I planned to. I'm really getting upset and crying now. I know this too shall pass, but it feels worse than a hurricaine. At least that is over faster.

Here's a funny for you about libraries. Our big one closed at 1 on Saturday, right? Well, I didn't know, because they made that call on Saturday morning while I was at work. So I trudge in, expecting to do my usual browsing. And here comes the librarian. She all but ran me out with a broom!  I've never felt so much like a stray cat in my life. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I'm still coughing a lot and I ran fever yesterday. I'm monitoring today to see if I can go to work on Saturday or not. I will have had my five days of Tamiflu by then, and I'm wearing a mask, but still. Really, nobody needs the flu either. 

But I'm feeling well enough today to go ahead and plan a few things for next week to get us out of the house in places where there aren't many people. The boys can boat and fish, and I can be pretty happy in my chair all by myself. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I am going to start losing track of what day it is.

As of about 8:30 last night, we are in.

Dh came home last night and said that he has been ordered to telework.

Dd17 is not working for the rest of this week, and probably not next week.  She told them that I didn't want her to work and asked that they give her hours to someone who needs the work to support their family.

I did one last grocery run to pick up a prescription and a few other items.

And so, we are done for the rest of March.

• Like 4

Good Morning!   I just totally freaked out ds by giving him a bright, cheerful "Good Morning, How are You Today!?"   Evidently I"m not usually so chipper in the morning.   But, I slept really well last night, it's going to be nice and sunny today, and other than my usual allergy crap, I'm feeling pretty good.  

I don't have anywhere I need to go today so I should be nice and productive (unlikely but I can dream).  Dh is coming home tomorrow. Older dd no longer has to go to work at the mall.  

• Like 4

DH is still working. I gather that his particular branch of work hasn't quite figured out what they can and can't do, and so he's a little frayed basically having to try to come up with some measures they can take instead of being asked to implement those measures. I'm going over the recommendations they have for my work.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I got a Rottie Shepherd mix. She’s extremely protective. She’s always thought that everyone is an ax murderer out to get me. Or something out to get me. 

I have to admit, I'm wondering how my patients will take to me wearing gloves and a mask...I expect some pretty nervous dogs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I have to admit, I'm wondering how my patients will take to me wearing gloves and a mask...I expect some pretty nervous dogs.

So far Juliet hasn’t seemed to react at all to my masks. But of course she knows me well. Taking Juliet to the vet today (ear infection). They are staggering appointments so that there is only one person in the waiting room at a time. And everyone is required to use hand sanitizer. Only one person is allowed to go back  to the tiny exam rooms. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
Typo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

So far Juliet hasn’t seemed to react at all to my masks. But of course she knows me well. Taking Juliet to the vet today (ear infection). They are staggering appointments so that there is only one person in the waiting room at a time. And everyone is required to use hand sanitizer. Only one person is allowed to go back  to the tiny exam rooms. 

This is what they are telling us to do as well. I'm anxious to see how well it's being implemented, and how it's going to work, especially as it's an unusual day that we don't have emergencies and walk-ins. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Critterfixer said:

This is what they are telling us to do as well. I'm anxious to see how well it's being implemented, and how it's going to work, especially as it's an unusual day that we don't have emergencies and walk-ins. 

Our vet just isn't letting in the walk ins.  But of course emergencies are accommodated because emergencies. . .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Do either of you have recommendations on dog training books or methods?  I am reading up now during the Time of Solitude.

1 hour ago, Renai said:

Gymnast can't figure out what's wrong with me. I just broke out into an impromptu song about the COVID19 to the tune of "Have yourself a very merry Christmas." Now, I don't remember what I sang..

😄   What's going on with you now that Things have changed?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

😄   What's going on with you now that Things have changed?

GHC got shut down in the middle of the conference. I received an email from them yesterday that they will be sharing 1 or 2 product descriptions (that we send them) and pointing people to our websites for the conference pricing (if we had it, I did). I'm trying to create a landing page on my site, but it's Wix, and I have no idea what I'm doing. I know how to do one through Mailchimp, but don't know if I can attach it to my page. I had already created an order form (with pics!) through Google forms, but now I know that's not going to work. I'm hoping GHC says we can also send in recordings of our talks. Several of us were scheduled to speak that were unable to due to the cancelation.

So, I'm sitting here at my parent's kitchen table, listening to birds sing, while banging my head over technology. Gymnast is out in the greenhouse with my mom (Naima). My dad is doing whatever thing he does. Dh is in NM with his mom, wondering when I'm getting back. I kinda like the peace. The hotspot hooked up to my computer is working enough for me to work, so I'm not in a rush to get back.

• Like 6

We are picking up pre-ordered pizza and going to the park for lunch. We need to get out of the house, I am helping stimulate the economy. If we see people, we will avoid them. Six feet. social distancing. The weather is beautiful. We need to get fresh air. The kids need exercise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5.7 earthquake here this morning, no injuries but some structural damage in various places. The SLC airport was closed temporarily, they had a water main break in one of the concourses and needed to check the ATC tower and runways for damage. Lots of people out of power (not us).

I was at Walmart when it hit, making an early morning run to replenish our stock of bananas (one of the few foods ds2 will eat reliably, and unfortunately not one I can keep in my stored food supply). We heard it before we felt it--every rack and shelf in the store was shaking, it was LOUD! lasted quite awhile too--reminded me of quakes I experienced in Guatemala in the 80's. It was apparently the biggest quake Utah has experienced since 1992, though the Powers the Be are always reminding us that our fault is overdue for a major shift. I was worried this was going to be it and Walmart would collapse and I would be stuck away from my family. Dh got sent home from work since his building is WWII era and they needed time to check for structural damage.

• Like 7

I feel somewhat accomplished today.  I did a bunch of cleaning, wiped down a lot of things, vacuumed floors, moved things around, then the kids and I took the dog for a walk since it's a beautiful day out.    I have more cleaning I could be doing but I'm tired now.   The walk was rough on my allergies/asthma.   Not very long, maybe a mile but very hilly.  And I'm out of shape.   And my dog is a pita who evidently forgot everything he learned at training.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Another Lynn said:

🎉🏆🎉🏆🎉🏆

#jealous

42 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Yep!!

Well, keep in mind that I am still plenty lumpy, and my health coach isn't ready to put me on maintenance yet. 😭  But my BMI, at least, is now in the "normal" range, which it hasn't been in well over 25 years.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

42 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We are picking up pre-ordered pizza and going to the park for lunch. We need to get out of the house, I am helping stimulate the economy. If we see people, we will avoid them. Six feet. social distancing. The weather is beautiful. We need to get fresh air. The kids need exercise.

My kids all expressed sincere envy when I was leaving for my appointment this morning. We have nothing but rain predicted for the next 10 days, so that should be fun! 😳

• Sad 2