Menu

Ignore this thread!

There's a lot documented in this thread, probably dating back 2-3 years, that I haven't bothered to delete. 

Done with an evening class, time for bed, back up at 3am for more classes! Such is the life of an ESL teacher who teaches students in China during Chinese New Year vacation.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

On to happier fare- Scotsman is doing a fab job out in California. He still says no way he would like it to be full-time! COL and CA politics aren’t to his (our) liking. I think that’s funny considering he’s not even an American.

Everyone is sleeping in their own beds tonight! Yes!

I started watching House on Prime. Anyone seen it that has warnings for me?

House- the rude but brilliant doctor?  

On 1/14/2020 at 6:48 PM, whitehawk said:

Please tell me more. I just bought this, but I don't want to throw good time after bad money.

I think, for me, it is the diagramming.  I always disliked it in school - felt it was a waste of time, and this just stirs up those old feelings 😬 

i also prefer how MCT incorporates higher vocabulary together with the grammar, and some history thrown in.  AG is just plain boring imo.

For DS, he doesn’t like how things are a bit different in MCT and now he has to switch gears. He understood MCT, didn’t mind grammar, and now he bares his teeth when I even say the word.  

Also, at this point, after having done grammar since 3rd grade, he’s just over it.

• Like 3

On 1/14/2020 at 7:36 PM, Paradox5 said:

Which parts have you used? I just bought IEW for writing.

First four levels, homeschool packages with the reading packages added. We didn’t get through much of the level 4/lit level vocabulary last year bc of the move, so we’re finishing that this year.  I got the AG for free so I figured we try it while finishing the Lit.  I will buy level 5 for next year for sure.

writing is DS’s nemesis.  I won’t even talk about that.  But he is getting better.  We just tweak the writing in MCT to something similar but sometimes with a different topic, based on our other studies.

I have something else for writing this year, though.  The Lost Tools of Writing. I just have to actually implement it.  It looks good anyway 🤣

We only did the poetry year one and year three (when we did level two’s).  Neither of us likes analyzing poetry all that much, but MCT made it tolerable.

• Like 3

Morning.  Happy Friday.  Instead of my usual short day, I have a long day thanks to a workshop this afternoon.   I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel most of my workshops going forward.  This is the first one that has run all year so far. (I think, maybe the second one).

Our power went out last night due to downed tree on lines.  It was super windy last night.   Dh tried to start the generator and it wouldn't, so we bailed early for the science center, where it's warm and we have wifi.   It was super cold at home.  Plus no water if no power.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Morning.  Happy Friday.  Instead of my usual short day, I have a long day thanks to a workshop this afternoon.   I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel most of my workshops going forward.  This is the first one that has run all year so far. (I think, maybe the second one).

Our power went out last night due to downed tree on lines.  It was super windy last night.   Dh tried to start the generator and it wouldn't, so we bailed early for the science center, where it's warm and we have wifi.   It was super cold at home.  Plus no water if no power.

Does that mean your pipes are in danger of freezing?  

EdPo:

Ds14 asked me recently is we could start doing group time again for school. We used to do memory work and devotional and read alouds (fiction and non-fiction) together. That stopped a couple of years ago--likely during my last pregnancy because 90% of everything grinds to a halt during pregnancy.

Anyway, what kind of family school can I do with preschoolers through high school? Maybe I could do little kids read aloud and big kids read aloud on alternate days (because time is short)?

• Like 1

Good morning!

(((Hurting Friends)))

2 of the 3 orchestra clinicians are from Texas, one is from New York. The kids love them. ❤️

Hotel Coffee!!

COFFEE!!

And this is the best Booya/h in the whole world because it is a COFFEE Booya/h!! (Imagine, if you will, yours truly planting a flag that says "Booya/h" in big, bold letters and a cup of COFFEE under it! on the Rocky summit of.... The tall craggy mountain in the middle of the ITT Island, where we have our lodge. This lodge is in the middle of a forest with hardwood floors and throw rugs and huge stone fireplaces and wrap around porches with comfy Adirondack chairs. This is what I'm talking about.) (I think my imagination is getting the better of me).  

KrissiK Documentation of the ITT Flag 5/1/2017

Edited by Susan in TN
That’s big!
  • Like 8

39 minutes ago, maize said:

EdPo:

Ds14 asked me recently is we could start doing group time again for school. We used to do memory work and devotional and read alouds (fiction and non-fiction) together. That stopped a couple of years ago--likely during my last pregnancy because 90% of everything grinds to a halt during pregnancy.

Anyway, what kind of family school can I do with preschoolers through high school? Maybe I could do little kids read aloud and big kids read aloud on alternate days (because time is short)?

Singing Made Easy

Art of the Day app

Poetry readings

Games and puzzles

This day in history

Bible

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, maize said:

EdPo:

My high schoolers did a half-credit Children's Literature elective.  Maybe you could do read-alouds that would fit that?  If you're interested I can give you more details about what we did.

• Like 1

Maize, I don’t have the age span that you do, but I am of the firm belief that teenagers need to be read to as much as (or more than) younger kids. And they are never too old to hear the children’s classics - Pooh and Where The Wild Things Are and Alexander and the Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad Day, etc. I like the idea of trading off - younger books and older books. Other things we do during “story time” are Bible memory, art, and singing. (In the fall we did sketching and now we are learning classic American songs.)  (We also do Writing and Rhetoric but that’s not really something you can do with Littles.)

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 4

Happy Friday!  The coffee booyah was the best, and is re-energizing me for the day after a long (late-start) morning.  Kids are finally lunching now (2:45) and we still have 2 math groups to complete after lunch (if I can manage it).  

Ugh, and bills. 

We really liked House, btw.  In spite of a lot of inappropriateness.  As with everything, we binge-watched it about a decade after everyone else.  Currently finishing season 7 of The Office.  

• Like 4

I'm eating more tums than is logical.

I loved House but I've stopped watching anything with OMGs because they stay in my head and I repeat them. I have no issues with swear words, sex, or violence, but those just stick in my head. I've never seen the office.

I just had a very difficult talk with my husband. I told him 3 months ago it's time to give up and get a job and I've told him several times since then but he just blows me off. I made a list, sat him down and laid it out. He needs a job. He's not happy.

I think my kids watched cats making kittens earlier. Not sure and didn't want to press the issue.

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Slache said:

I'm eating more tums than is logical.

I loved House but I've stopped watching anything with OMGs because they stay in my head and I repeat them. I have no issues with swear words, sex, or violence, but those just stick in my head. I've never seen the office.

I just had a very difficult talk with my husband. I told him 3 months ago it's time to give up and get a job and I've told him several times since then but he just blows me off. I made a list, sat him down and laid it out. He needs a job. He's not happy.

I think my kids watched cats making kittens earlier. Not sure and didn't want to press the issue.

I can't remember if The Office has lots of OMGs... I've learned to tune them out, since they are so obnoxiously prevalent in media. But otherwise it's clean in terms of language; at least, inappropriate words are bleeped out for comic value.  

Hugs on Dh discussion. Can you fill me in on the bolded?  I miss too much of the thread, I guess.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lots of little ducklings said:

I can't remember if The Office has lots of OMGs... I've learned to tune them out, since they are so obnoxiously prevalent in media. But otherwise it's clean in terms of language; at least, inappropriate words are bleeped out for comic value.  

Hugs on Dh discussion. Can you fill me in on the bolded?  I miss too much of the thread, I guess.  

Before we moved here he got a full time job doing inspections. While we were on our way here, like while we were in Southern California on the drive, he was informed he no longer had that job. At first we thought they hired someone else but apparently the company went out of business. He has been driving for Uber and Lyft and doing inspections on the side. He does not make enough money to support us but he lives in this dream world where we are suddenly going to start making a lot more if we don't change anything. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

Before we moved here he got a full time job doing inspections. While we were on our way here, like while we were in Southern California on the drive, he was informed he no longer had that job. At first we thought they hired someone else but apparently the company went out of business. He has been driving for Uber and Lyft and doing inspections on the side. He does not make enough money to support us but he lives in this dream world where we are suddenly going to start making a lot more if we don't change anything. 

Gotcha.  I guess I'd missed that the inspections were a side gig.  (((Slashie family)). Praying for the right door to open for him.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello,

Power finally came back on around 1pm.  Evidently I was wrong and our pipes can freeze and burst.  But they didn't so that's good.   I also found out that our hot water heater doesn't use any electricity so if we managed to get the water pump to work, we'd have hot water.

I'm planning an early to bed night.   None of us slept well last night except ds.  Evidently he slept "like a baby".  

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

We're chugging along with Trailguide to World Geography because it's getting done but looking ahead to next year, I'm wondering what we should use. Have any of you used Notgrass America the Beautiful for 4th/5th grader? Oldest wants to do American History. Our Star Spangled Banner appears to have coloring, crafting, and music which I don't think are a good fit for us at this age. He's a strong reader so I would definitely plan to get the literature package to go with it. I'm not looking for him to do a lot of writing assignments because I'm assuming that'll be covered thoroughly in R&S English.

We did America the Beautiful. I enjoy Notgrass. It’s different. But I think it is a good curriculum. The textbooks are beautiful and the literature choices are really good,

• Like 4

Morning. Happy Saturday.  I managed go sleep in until about 8:30 today.  Once I finish my tea I have to run to the science center to pick up my class registration clipboard that I forgot to bring home yesterday.  I need to update who has registered and paid so I can post what classes have space available.   I also want to make sure I have anything/take care of anything important so we can not go out tomorrow if we don't want to.  We're supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow.  

Other than that, it's my usual weekend.  Planning classes (last week of this session!), setting up school, laundry, etc.

We get our new stove today so no more starting it with a grill lighter.  Yippee!  Okay, I"m really not that excited since my cooking is limited to my tea in the morning but I'm happy for dh.

• Like 6

I have a question!! 

I'm doing a bunch of assemblies a week from Monday.  At a school.  I need to make little strings of beads for around 400 kids (I'll probably make 450 to be safe).  About 6 pony beads each so not many.  I was going to use pipe cleaners, but the ones I've done the metal kind of pokes and I don't want that.   I want something that won't break too easily, be quick and easy to tie off/twist closed, and I'd rather not buy new stuff but will spend a few bucks if necessary.

What I have:

yarn
pipe cleaners (maybe use a longer piece so I can tuck the ends in better?)
plastic lacing (like is used to make the braided bracelets, this can be hard to keep tied)
thread/fishing line
paracord
twine

What would you use? 

46 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have a question!! 

I'm doing a bunch of assemblies a week from Monday.  At a school.  I need to make little strings of beads for around 400 kids (I'll probably make 450 to be safe).  About 6 pony beads each so not many.  I was going to use pipe cleaners, but the ones I've done the metal kind of pokes and I don't want that.   I want something that won't break too easily, be quick and easy to tie off/twist closed, and I'd rather not buy new stuff but will spend a few bucks if necessary.

What I have:

yarn
plastic lacing (like is used to make the braided bracelets, this can be hard to keep tied)
thread/fishing line
paracord
twine

What would you use? 

Gimp? (Or is that what you meant by plastic lacing?)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Youngest is finally better and now Oldest is running a fever. Here we go again. Sigh.

And oldest? Hopefully it does keep getting passed around.  That happened to our family one when I was a kid, and it was miserable.  Multiple times

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ikslo said:

How’s he feeling today?

I was afraid he would be throwing up all night but, while he was a little fussy, he didn't throw up again. He was up early this morning but is now acting like he may be ready for a nap. Slight fever. As sicknesses go definitely not on the severe side.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have a question!! 

What I have:

yarn
thread/fishing line
paracord
twine

What would you use? 

I'd do pipe cleaners because the stiffness makes it easier to get the beads on.

• Like 2

(((Servie and Maize Families)))

::EDPO::

Krissi has inspired me to go look at Notgrass now.  We've done SOTW, all four volumes, four times (kids are addicted to it), so this year we are doing English/British history with Our Island Story.  It is also a hit.  Next year I suppose it would be logical to focus on American history, but I really want something like SOTW/Our Island Story.  With audio, because that's how we roll around here.  I have a bajillion Landmarks, and a Good Homeschooler Mom would put together a fabulous course in American History with them, but alas, I am a Disorganized Homeschooler Mom Who Doles Out Random Landmarks Like Candy to Anyone Who Promises to Just Be Quiet and Not Get Out Of Bed Again. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I have a question!! 

What I have:

yarn
thread/fishing line
paracord
twine

What would you use? 

Can you use the lacing but actually tie in the first and last bead?  Ask me if I need to try to explain what I mean.

• Like 3

Got to bed at 11:30pm. Alarm went off at 3am for 3:30 class, turned it off, fell back to sleep, slept through 1 class before waking up. Still missed the second class but taught the last two. I haven't slept through classes for over a year or so on any platform. Sigh...

• Like 1
  • Sad 4