Menu

Ignore this thread!

Ok, well, we got the passport stuff done. The Passport Office at City Hall in Big-City-to-the-South was much more helpful and informed than Downtown-Post-Office-in Big-City-to-the-North. The latter told me I needed a marriage license because my old and long expired passport was in my maiden name, so I needed a Marriage License, which I didn’t read anywhere in the literature I needed. But, I always doubt myself, so when she told me that yesterday, I believed her and figured I just have misread. I got home, scanned the literature, saw no5hing about a marriage license, but still brought one with me today, just in case. The lady today said, “no” as long as my current OD has my married name I am fine.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Ok, well, we got the passport stuff done. The Passport Office at City Hall in Big-City-to-the-South was much more helpful and informed than Downtown-Post-Office-in Big-City-to-the-North. The latter told me I needed a marriage license because my old and long expired passport was in my maiden name, so I needed a Marriage License, which I didn’t read anywhere in the literature I needed. But, I always doubt myself, so when she told me that yesterday, I believed her and figured I just have misread. I got home, scanned the literature, saw no5hing about a marriage license, but still brought one with me today, just in case. The lady today said, “no” as long as my current OD has my married name I am fine.

Ugh!  Dd21 encountered this when she was applying for a passport - the person at one office insisted she needed certain documentation but the person at another office had apparently actually read the State Dept. requirements.  :rolleyes:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Junie said:

Me, too.  The Mounds bar seems to have been the difference.  🙂 Dark chocolate for the win!  (Although I had eaten a nasty dark chocolate square hours ago, hoping it would help, and it didn't.) 

My migraine mix is Coke and chocolate...lol!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Hello,  I'm home for the evening with my feet up, just waiting on dinner.   Did 6 miles at the gym so I'm up to 25 miles out of my hundred, 1/4 of the way there!  Did the giant staircase for 2 1/2 minutes again. 

While everyone else is having babies, I'm finally doing something about the "baby weight".  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

29 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

Not I.

I'm still coming down to stay with my parents, so I'll see you! I may also be in Waco in April (Teaching Them Diligently conference), so considering just staying for the month instead of driving back and forth.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Hello,  I'm home for the evening with my feet up, just waiting on dinner.   Did 6 miles at the gym so I'm up to 25 miles out of my hundred, 1/4 of the way there!  Did the giant staircase for 2 1/2 minutes again. 

While everyone else is having babies, I'm finally doing something about the "baby weight".  

Do you walk or run your miles?

I think I'll try to emulate you and do 100 miles. I did three yesterday, mostly walking.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

Coffee is ready.  That is all.  

Points for quoting self.

That is not all.  Some wonderful child - my new favorite 😜 - unloaded the d/w last night.  And so now, I have reloaded it.  And hopefully will remember to start it after the last shower this morning.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!

Still a headache. 😞

Last couple of days of Christmas break.  I gave the girls a long break this year because of ds19 being home from college.  I could not keep up with school and his driving lessons, so we just let school slide.  Also, I wanted to let the girls spend as much time with him as possible as it is likely that he won't be home again until next Christmas.  (He has work plans that do not involve coming home.  It's a smart financial decision, but we will miss him.)

• Like 6

Two down, one to go today.  Then 2 hour teen hangout, an hour wait and tutoring.  Then home to run out to gym.  Then dinner at 7pm, then I have to go to the AFSA because I've been avoiding it all week and now it can't wait.  Unless it can...hmmm let me think.  I might be able to go in the morning.  But the kids will be with me.  But they are old enough to wait in the car.  But I have a long list, not just a few quick items which is hard to do in the morning before classes.    Ugh.  I really should just go tonight. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Two down, one to go today.  Then 2 hour teen hangout, an hour wait and tutoring.  Then home to run out to gym.  Then dinner at 7pm, then I have to go to the AFSA because I've been avoiding it all week and now it can't wait.  Unless it can...hmmm let me think.  I might be able to go in the morning.  But the kids will be with me.  But they are old enough to wait in the car.  But I have a long list, not just a few quick items which is hard to do in the morning before classes.    Ugh.  I really should just go tonight. 

Do they have free pick up?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

EdPo-ish thoughts going through my mind right now. I'm pouting.

Why, even as homeschoolers, do we still sometimes try to shove our kids into a box they were never meant to fit into? And we do it to ourselves, too, by trying to shove ourselves into a way of schooling we were not meant to be in just because "everyone" says it is the "best' way.

I don't want to be all classical or school-at-home with Captain! It hasn't been fun or engaging for my other kids. It has resulted in years of tears and fighting.

Ok, getting a grip now. Thanks for listening.

Maybe I'll go make muffins

I've been struggling myself with figuring out what kind of schooling is really workable for my family. 

I feel like a lot of people have pretty rigid ideas about what education must look like. It's hard too on this board where we have a higher than average percentage of high performers--parents and students both. 

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

I think my homeschooling philosophy is pretty much do whatever keeps us from dying--either academically, creatively, or emotionally. I'm in a pretty good place with that. 

Agreed!  and Amen!

21 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

Evil Roostie just chased my boys out of the chicken house.

Chickens are evil!  🤣

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

EdPo:

Do any of you use Rod and Staff English? We're new to it and I'm trying to figure out how to do the lesson reviews. There is a lesson called Reviewing What You've Learned, Review 1, and Review 2. Do these all get done on separate days? I'm not sure how it is intended to be done or how others use this.

We use it in 3rd-7th grade (though 7th grade is just doing the 6th grade book again).  In the lower grades we do a lot of oral review (even for some of the written exercises) and we often split reviews into two (or more) days depending on how things are going. Also I buy the inexpensive workbooks and if a lesson has a workbook page, I don’t make them do the textbook written exercises. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

That's one of the things I'm praying for, that he'll be receptive to it. So far he hasn't been. He finds the idea that he is responsible for this and may need help to overcome abusive habits offensive. It's much more comfortable to say I'm doing such and such, so of course he's responding this way. It doesn't even make sense. He went to a therapist for awhile when I took the kids and left. It was one of my conditions for coming back. But it didn't last long, and despite some things he said at the time, I don't think now that he really comprehends how damaging his choices are, or how it really is his responsibility and not my fault or things I'm making up to "win." There are a lot of things I have to think through and pray over in the coming weeks and months. I'm trying not to give in to the fear that's clawing at the back of my throat. God is sovereign. His voice and direction are why I came back. He has this, too, covered in His grace. Just because I can't see the way through doesn't mean there isn't one.

I could almost write this post word-for-word. Except we're heading in the opposite direction.

• Sad 4