Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, ikslo said:

Gimp? (Or is that what you meant by plastic lacing?)

Looks like it is the same thing.

34 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Can you use the lacing but actually tie in the first and last bead?  Ask me if I need to try to explain what I mean.

I think I know what you mean.    

Problem with the lacing is it seems to take a lot of force to make a knot that doesn't loosen up easily.   I don't want the kids to be untying them during the assembly and leaving loose beads everywhere.  

I think I'll go with pipe cleaners, cut the pieces large enough that I can tuck the ends under or even back through the beads.  

• Like 4

Our stove is here!   And it's snowing pretty hard. 

The delivery guys noticed our big snake tank and one of the guys was really interested so dh took the snake out and they were taking pictures.   🤣

I mean I have to admit she's pretty cute.  I did reptiles in one of my classes this week and she, of course, was there.   At the end they do a little craft making snakes out of pipe cleaners.  Evidently my snake really likes the feel of pipe cleaners because she crawled into the bucket of them, then when I dumped them out so she could have the plastic container, she crawled around the pile on the table.  

Isn't she cute?

IMG_3869.jpg

IMG_3873.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, lots of little ducklings said:

(((Servie and Maize Families)))

::EDPO::

Krissi has inspired me to go look at Notgrass now.  We've done SOTW, all four volumes, four times (kids are addicted to it), so this year we are doing English/British history with Our Island Story.  It is also a hit.  Next year I suppose it would be logical to focus on American history, but I really want something like SOTW/Our Island Story.  With audio, because that's how we roll around here.  I have a bajillion Landmarks, and a Good Homeschooler Mom would put together a fabulous course in American History with them, but alas, I am a Disorganized Homeschooler Mom Who Doles Out Random Landmarks Like Candy to Anyone Who Promises to Just Be Quiet and Not Get Out Of Bed Again. 

Look at Notgrass, but realize that it is in no way, shape or form anything like SotW or Our Island Story. I really wish she would do SoTW for the second go around, but we are making it work with my 3rd and 5th graders, since I am combining it with maps and timelines and things and things from History Odyssey.  I chose Notgrass because it is completely open and go,  I like most of the activities, I like the literature choices and the books are beautiful. It also has some very interesting things to study that you don’t find in a lot of traditional history books - like studying the Hanseatic League and Iceland and the Silk Road and some other things. But I don’t feel like it flows very well, and that irritates me. And I don’t feel like it is rigorous at all.  One of their books I love, though, is Uncle Sam and You. It is a civics course, but you learn all kinds of good stuff about the government and holidays and government agencies and the military. DS did it last year and we all learned a lot.  Basically, Notgrass is Curriculum that you have to say, “this is what it is” and not wish it was something else, KWIM? 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4

My bathroom is cleaned, my bedroom is cleaned, laundry room cleaned and kitty litter dumped and replaced. I even bought a raffle ticket from an adorable little girls who rang my doorbell with her mom. I always make them work for their sale. I ask the where they go to school, what grade they are in, favorite subject, what the $ is going for.😆

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

I cleaned out my school supply drawers, made a bunch of stuff for Nursery, and now I need to deep think with my IEW book. Do we try it or not? I don’t know why I buy things so much.

Oh and I’m fighting destroying The Girl’s BJU English book. I know I shouldn’t, but I want to! I did stop the horrible history.

”Cute” is never a word I would use for any snake. Glad they are not at my house.

cute-snake-pictures-fb7-png__700.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I like the cute snakes

All the snakes are cute.  😄

I want brownies but I'm trying to lose weight and watch my cholesterol.  Dh is being super good about cooking healthy - watching my meat servings, less meat overall.  He made homemade oatmeal with blueberries last weekend and we were able to heat it up for breakfast all week.  I think he's going to do it again this weekend.  

We had a nice white bean, ground turkey chili for dinner tonight.  

• Like 4

I just remembered I forgot to do laundry today.  Whoops.  Partially because I had a workshop yesterday so wasn't home when the kids got home so didn't remind them to put their dirty clothes in the washer.   I'll do what I can tomorrow I guess. 

I did get all my classes planned except one, added a few things to my planner file so I can reprint it on thicker paper and made at least tentative plans for an Escape room at 4-H on Monday night.     I need to check my locks for combinations to finish that up though and they are at the science center.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My kids would have smelled the brownies baking and would have gotten out of bed. 

True.

The sad fact is that I never bake anything.  Maybe I should add this to my list of things to better about myself this year.

• Like 5

I need to do the dishes.

My kids keep calling my loungewear “pajamas.” As in, “Mom never got out of her pajamas today.” To which I always replay, “not pajamas, loungewear.”

It’s dark outside.

i need to lose weight. Like 25 lbs. 

I need to get the dishes done. I just don’t wanna. Susan, come over and do my dishes for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Warning: Political-ish post!

John wrote a comic called The Many Adventures of Donald Trump. The first volume includes Donald kicking Barak out of the White House with clown shoes, Hillary running an actual race in the wrong direction, and Corn Pop. The second one is about Christmas and he makes missels out of Christmas trees.

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I need to do the dishes.

My kids keep calling my loungewear “pajamas.” As in, “Mom never got out of her pajamas today.” To which I always replay, “not pajamas, loungewear.”

It’s dark outside.

i need to lose weight. Like 25 lbs. 

I need to get the dishes done. I just don’t wanna. Susan, come over and do my dishes for me.

Me too. 😩. (The 25 lbs thing....)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paradox5 said:

Me, four. We should start a 25lb group. What are we going to do about it? Stop eating carbs?

Me, five.  And kind of on the carbs.  I am allowing myself heavy carbs (pasta, rice, bread) only once a day.

I may need to limit more, but I lost 7 pounds in 5 months last year.  And that was with some cheating while we were on vacation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

I actually have more than 25 pounds to lose, too.  Not 100, but I'm a lot shorter than you.  

Everyone is a lot shorter than me.

1 minute ago, Junie said:

I wouldn't do Caleb with your last name.  And maybe not Emily.  I like the rest of them, though.

I don't see the Caleb problem.