Menu

What's with the ads?

1 hour ago, Paradox5 said:

With the amount he/you have spent on parts, it seems he could have bought a new car by now. Or this one practically is with all the new parts!

It is a 1979 classic car.  He's a "car guy" - belonging even to the local car club for this type of car.  Most people in the club don't do this kind of thing until they are retired and can do it as a hobby. . .   but not my son. . . .

It's a classic car booyah

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It is a 1979 classic car.  He's a "car guy" - belonging even to the local car club for this type of car.  Most people in the club don't do this kind of thing until they are retired and can do it as a hobby. . .   but not my son. . . .

It's a classic car booyah

Yeah, that is how my dad referred to his 1968 Ford Falcon. It was held together with rope and duct tape. You had to climb in through the windows.

A nice new red Peterbilt 18 wheeler took it out FINALLY in 1985 right before we moved to NJ from LA. We said it was an announcement from God telling my dad to get a new car already!

Edited by Paradox5
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, JoJosMom said:

I'm pretty sure that the transcript is going to kill me.

Sorry about breaking the rules.

Nope.  You'll be ok.

• Like 4

Good Morning!

Happy Thursday!!

Not sure yet what I'm doing today...

• Like 6

Good morning!

No dying allowed!  

Yesterday I made some progress on cleaning out.  Found a couple things I'd lost.  Threw away a whole lotta stuff.  I have to spend the morning arranging 16 worship songs for cello and violin.  I'm hoping I can get it done by 10:30 when we leave for the dentist.  Violin/viola lessons after that.  I may need to put ds14 in charge of making dinner.  

Coffee!

• Like 9

Good morning! It's 4-H fair day! We didn't participate this year, but it's on my radar for next. My kids are just excited to see if the pony ride guy is there again this year.

I'm two days behind deadline for my newest project. Fortunately, I work for a good company that's pretty flexible. As long as decent progress is being made, they're happy.

Paradox, that's a great dragon!

Here's hoping everyone has an excellent day today. See you later!

• Like 10

Morning, Happy Thursday.

For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to make my mammo/US appointment for today.   I need to run to the store to pick up a strap to lock down the cockroach cage and bug spray, go to my appointment, pick up supplies for a kaleidoscope activity from the classroom as well as my business promotional materials (since I have a table for that too), then get to the fairgrounds by 4pm to set up our table.  We have one of the kids working it tonight so I need to be there.  Then the parade of clubs is at 7pm and we'll probably leave after that.  Dh and the kids are meeting me there since dh doesn't get out of work until 4pm. 

Tomorrow I work the info booth at 12:45 and have kids coming for our booth at 5pm so I'll be there most of the day.  

It's supposed to feel around 105 degrees for the next four days.  Hot and humid and gross.  Fun.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

Knee is feeling okay.  Still have a big swelling on the side.  Either the brace or the advil or both is really helping.  

• Like 10

After a discussion on here, I looked into swim tights/leggings.  I was looking for something that would be more comfortable while kayaking, with sun protection, but not too hot, and would dry quickly when wet.   I ended up buying these with a gift card one of my students gave me at the end of the year.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MHGMWC1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which had decent reviews, weren't too expensive, and came in larger sizes. 

I wore them to the lake on Tuesday and they were great.  I went swimming in them, or at least walking into the water, wore them sitting on the beach.  I usually get chilled easily in the water and they helped quite a bit with that too.   The only weird thing was they made a funky noise when walking (thighs rubbing together) but it stopped making the noise once they were wet.   I found them comfortable to sit around in both wet and dry.     They were definitely thicker than swimsuit material, they are actually wetsuit pants but I really like that.  

• Like 7

Morning. It's so hot and humid outside that my glasses stayed fogged while I was out walking the dogs. It's also terribly sunny, which has me cringing inside already, but I have to get out in it in just a few hours. Art today, and then I have an errand to run, but I'm not running all the errands I planned to run. Maybe not even the one. It's going to be all I can do to get to art, do art, and then go home without spending the rest of day weeping because of the sunlight! Dark room curtains are already down to make the cave. But I understand there is some sort of a front coming through this weekend to cool things off. I might even be able to get out to the lake if there's enough cloud cover.

Today is my long revising day. I'm hoping to get three chapters done today! That would come close to catching me up with my chapter goal for this month. I'm on track with everything else. Plus, I have a short story to revise this weekend and my agent wanted to do some editorial feedback before I send it out, so I will be taking advantage of that for sure!

• Like 8

Good Morning!!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!~D

Friday Eve!!!!

I am meeting a new family for our Charter this morning. My first family meeting for my new job. I am nervous. She sounded perfectly nice on the phone, but of course in my mind... she’ll ask me all kinds of questions I can’t answer, I’ll spill my COFFEE all over the table, I’ll come across like a total dork and she’ll be wondering, “who IS this lady?” Already something went wrong. I was going to print her up a couple handouts, and then last night at 9:30 my printer is out of ink. And it never gave me a warning. It’s honestly not a big deal, I can email these things to her, but.... you know, I kind of wanted her to have something in hand.... I’m just nervous. And I know it will go fine and I will leave the meeting thinking, “why on earth did I even worry about this.”

Other than that, the rest of the day looks pretty empty. I will try to get housework done. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, ITT!!! Just checking in after being invisible for a few months. 🙂

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On the agenda: bookcases. Emptying, cleaning, and organizing them that is.

• Like 6

So, the forum has gone from Korean to Chinese, eh? I actually recognized about 3 of the characters. One means "country" ( 国) and another two together means "university" (大学, the first is "big" and the second has something to do with learning). Cool, eh?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

So, I live in a triplex. The neighbor smokes. It used to only be an issue of us being contaminated in winter since he'd smoke more indoors, which would seep into our apartment. 

He has unfortunately been diagnosed with lung cancer and has been undergoing treatment for a couple of months. You'd think the smoking would cut back. If anything, it's increased because he stays inside more.

I'm using an inhaler almost daily. I always have headaches. My eyes were burning this morning and my nose started to run as I was working. The smoke is starting to come in through the kitchen cabinets and not just the back room! This is getting ridiculous. 

We've lived here 15 years and it's never been this bad. I would like to say something, but it is his apartment. We've closed up every hole we could find already.

• Sad 9

🎉🎈🎈🎈 Happy Birthday, Queen Ellie!! 🎈🎈🎈🎉

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

🎉🎈🎈🎈 Happy Birthday, Queen Ellie!! 🎈🎈🎈🎉

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

TYVM!!! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

• Like 5

Ugh, that stinks Renai.    I'd have to move, wouldn't be able to take it with my asthma.   I grew up with a mother who smoked and I just can't stand to be around it.

At my mammo appointment today, she offered a device that had a plus sign and a minus sign on it.  The idea is that you can hit the minus sign if things were getting too uncomfortable, or the plus sign if you were okay with continuing.  My comment was just "can't you just say Ouch?", although I understand some people may be reluctant to say anything.  I declined to use the little device.

So if you don't like to say anything in those situations, would you be more likely to use a device like that?  Or do you think it's ridiculous when you are in a room alone with someone and can just say something to use a device?

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Ugh, that stinks Renai.    I'd have to move, wouldn't be able to take it with my asthma.   I grew up with a mother who smoked and I just can't stand to be around it.

At my mammo appointment today, she offered a device that had a plus sign and a minus sign on it.  The idea is that you can hit the minus sign if things were getting too uncomfortable, or the plus sign if you were okay with continuing.  My comment was just "can't you just say Ouch?", although I understand some people may be reluctant to say anything.  I declined to use the little device.

So if you don't like to say anything in those situations, would you be more likely to use a device like that?  Or do you think it's ridiculous when you are in a room alone with someone and can just say something to use a device?

I think it's ridiculous. I'd just say OUCH.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Does hitting the button actually do anything?  Does it release the pressure on the machine by a small amount?  If not, i wouldn't use it.  And I wouldn't say "ouch" either.  I would just endure.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

My dad used to smoke and it was bad. I have smoke-induced asthma. I'm glad he stopped. We don't have an option to move. We can't afford it. We barely make the rent here and it's the cheapest available. 

I mentioned something to the corner neighbor who helps fix things. I told him I think there is a hole in the kitchen sink area. When he asked why, I let him know about all the smoke, asthma attacks and headaches. He said he'll investigate and plug with expanding foam.

I'm also a verbal person. I think my dentist used something like that but I just wind up squeaking or something. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

My dad used to smoke and it was bad. I have smoke-induced asthma. I'm glad he stopped. We don't have an option to move. We can't afford it. We barely make the rent here and it's the cheapest available. 

I mentioned something to the corner neighbor who helps fix things. I told him I think there is a hole in the kitchen sink area. When he asked why, I let him know about all the smoke, asthma attacks and headaches. He said he'll investigate and plug with expanding foam.

I'm also a verbal person. I think my dentist used something like that but I just wind up squeaking or something. 

I hope the neighbor is able to do something to help the situation.

At the dentist, I could almost understand it since it can be hard to say anything with someone's hands in your mouth.

I don't think the device actually loosened anything up, I think it just sent a signal but I'm not 100% positive about that.   The technician seemed to agree that it was ridiculous but said they had just had a meeting the day before and told her she needed to start offering it to everyone.

• Like 6

Just checkin’ In to say, the meeting went absolutely fine. Didn’t spill COFFEE, very nice family, all is well.

and Happy Nirthday, Ellie!!🎂🎂🎉🎉🎉

Niw, off to get DD’s allergy shots and beg some tomatoes off my mom.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We're watching My Little Pony in Mandarin now. Since we've seen the series at least 5 times in English and/or Spanish, might as well, right? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Renai said:

I don’t suppose someone could buy him a juul or something?  It’s not covered as a medical device, I suppose. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I don’t suppose someone could buy him a juul or something?  It’s not covered as a medical device, I suppose. 

E-cigarettes can still cause lung cancer.  And they may contain more nicotine than regular cigarettes.  The second hand smoke (or vapor in this case) is not known to be as hazardous as a regular cigarette but it can still be bad for asthmatics.  There is still a lot unknown about the long term effects of e-cigarettes but they are not benign. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

I say things...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Junie said:

Does hitting the button actually do anything?  Does it release the pressure on the machine by a small amount?  If not, i wouldn't use it.  And I wouldn't say "ouch" either.  I would just endure.

At my last mammogram, I told her to do whatever she needed to take a good picture, including pressing as hard as she needed.  I did this because my insurance (maybe all?) cover a preventative mammogram 100% but if you get called back to retake pictures, it is labeled "diagnostic" and all of a sudden I have to pay a lot more than I want to even after insurance pays their portion.  I wasn't called back for retakes for the first time in many mammograms after I said that. 

• Like 5

Jean, I think I gave you the wrong name for a product for Juliet's ears. The correct product is ZYMOX. I highly recommend it for a dog prone to ear infections. Vets tend to simply prescribe antibiotics and hydrocortisone which, over time, can damage the dog's hearing (I learned this the hard way.) Zymox is an enzymatic med which is both HIGHLY effective at treating ear infections and is safe for more frequent use. Some vets sell it now, too. But Amazon is cheaper.

(I think I gave you the name of a human anti-inflammatory supplement that also starts with Z. Because I'm a stupidhead. Sorry!)

Link to the company:  https://www.zymox.com/

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

It's not just him (unless it's early in the morning). The other neighbor that helps him smokes, the neighbor's brother who visits smokes,  and others when they visit. I don't understand why all this secondhand smoke is going around when they all know he has LUNG CANCER, for crying out loud! Besides that, he had a tumor in his back growing into one of his lungs, and found another tumor in his head. That probably has nothing to do with cigarettes, but the inconsideration all the way around is getting to me.

Edited by Renai
  • Sad 4

3 minutes ago, Renai said:

It's not just him (unless it's early in the morning). The other neighbor that helps him smokes, the neighbor's brother who visits smokes,  and others when they visit. I don't understand why all this secondhand smoke is going around when they all know he has LUNG CANCER, for crying out loud! Besides that, he had a tumor in his bad growing into one of his lungs, and found another tumor in his head. That probably has nothing to do with cigarettes, but the inconsideration all the way around is getting to me.

Unfortunately, the addiction can just be so strong.  I have taken care of elderly people who were puffing away on cigarettes WHILE ON OXYGEN!  😲

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Jean, I think I gave you the wrong name for a product for Juliet's ears. The correct product is ZYMOX. I highly recommend it for a dog prone to ear infections. Vets tend to simply prescribe antibiotics and hydrocortisone which, over time, can damage the dog's hearing (I learned this the hard way.) Zymox is an enzymatic med which is both HIGHLY effective at treating ear infections and is safe for more frequent use. Some vets sell it now, too. But Amazon is cheaper.

(I think I gave you the name of a human anti-inflammatory supplement that also starts with Z. Because I'm a stupidhead. Sorry!)

Link to the company:  https://www.zymox.com/

Thanks.  We're using a product that is similar but also antibiotic drops.  The vet is checking in daily and wants a recheck soon to make sure that it is working.  He does not want us to get into the chronic ear infection territory. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Unfortunately, the addiction can just be so strong.  I have taken care of elderly people who were puffing away on cigarettes WHILE ON OXYGEN!  😲

Sigh. Yeah, I've seen this too.

I think what is really making me irritable about the situation isn't even the fact that I'm getting physically ill. It's the heat! It's in the 90's, and I can't turn on our portable a/c because then I'd have to close all the windows. If I close all the windows, then the smoke stays in the house. It's making me grumpy...

• Sad 6

Watching kitten videos because I can’t get past the first paragraph of a recommendation letter I agreed to write.😩 I do recommend this person highly, but.... I’m finding myself extremely inarticulate at this point.  But, I do need some kittens. Like five of them.

• Like 5

I have a request in to the eccentric rabbit rescue lady for a new girlfriend for Rusty. He’s bitten me two days in a row. He needs a girl bunny to fawn over him. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I feel as though I've vented all day about smoke in my place. I'm done now.

I'll be leaving soon to coach soccer practice. I really don't feel like it, but we'll get through it...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Renai said:

I feel as though I've vented all day about smoke in my place. I'm done now.

I'll be leaving soon to coach soccer practice. I really don't feel like it, but we'll get through it...

Enjoy the fresh air.

• Like 6

Ugh.  I am finally done with those stupid songs.  Not arrangements, sadly, because though I was promised lead sheets, allI got were lyric sheets with chords and an indication of which fret the capo would go on, and youtube links to the songs, most of which are stupid.  Sorry, but I don't have 40 spare hours between today and tomorrow, nor a $5000 check for the trouble.  I managed to reformat the lyrics into something recognizable and transposed the chords into the capo'ed keys.  

I had sugar free ice cream for dinner.  :smile:  To celebrate The Queen's Nirthday, of course!

A squirrel keeps climbing on the kitchen window and we can't figure out what he's doing there.  He has been warned to stay away from the tomatoes.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Renai said:

It's not just him (unless it's early in the morning). The other neighbor that helps him smokes, the neighbor's brother who visits smokes,  and others when they visit. I don't understand why all this secondhand smoke is going around when they all know he has LUNG CANCER, for crying out loud! Besides that, he had a tumor in his back growing into one of his lungs, and found another tumor in his head. That probably has nothing to do with cigarettes, but the inconsideration all the way around is getting to me.

That's awful.  And makes it more awful for you and your peoples.  

• Like 2