Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Junie said:

I'm still not walking very well, but I did make it to church last night.  I was limping heavily, leaning against walls, and generally trying not to take very many steps.  Several people asked if I was ok.  "No, not really."  When my health is poor and someone asks, I tend to sugarcoat, but still tell the truth.  Especially in church.  I mean, do people expect me to lie in church and say that I'm doing well?  Probably not, but they always seem so surprised when I tell the truth.

I totally understand, Junie.  I vary my approach depending on the person.  People I don't know at all or who I know are a bit clueless get the "I'm fine" response.  I have had too many people give me unsolicited "laying on of hands" and have been badgered by one lady who prayed and then followed me around the church saying "Are you well yet?" every five minutes.  And I don't want to hear one more "cure" that worked for "Aunt Mabel".  With over 30 years of chronic illness, a posse of doctors including alternative med doctors, it is very very unlikely that I have not either tried or at least talked to my doctors about whatever cure it is.  And I am not going to be giving out my entire health history.  And if I am not feeling well, I am really really not in the mood for stupidity. 

But I do think that there is a benefit to being  honest especially in church where we should be sharing our burdens.  When I tell the truth I do try to put it into context of "Not really, but I'm in one of my pain flares again."  That lets the person know (if they are really listening) that I have done this before and survived but yet it's not an easy time for me.  I have found that other people have started to be honest with me back once some trust has been built because we have found discerning people who are going to share our burdens but not pile onto it. 

• Like 6

Got a whole lot of piddly things checked off my to-do list. It’s those wonderful things that require no thought. Like.... I had a student withdraw in Friday. So, I had a list of things to do.... fill out a survey, collect and upload final attendance, etc. etc. Boom, got it all done. I don’t have to think and make a decision....l just do.  Now, it’s on to a bunch of stuff that I have to think through.😩

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't had that one before, but I have dreamed many times that we had a surprise twin hiding in there that was only discovered at delivery.

I've had it with every pregnancy. And when I wake up I'm incredibly embarrassed because I told everyone I was having a human when in fact I was going about the same means everyone does to have a kitten, giving birth to it. After reality sets in I continue to feel embarrassed for several minutes which I don't understand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Surprisingly the Mormon thrift store has a lousy maternity selection. There was only one shirt in my size and it just made me lookfat, not pregnant. This is the one time in my life my belly is cute, I’m milking it for all it’s worth.  

Try a Catholic thrift store.

And Kohls. You definitely get price over quality but none of it needs to last too long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Spudater said:

I think thrift stores havespoiled me. I see a shirt that costs more than $10 now and I’m like woooooo spendy.

it’s ok, you don’t have to solve my problem. 😉

I am a problem solver!

I've never spent more than $4 for a shirt at Kohls.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 9:30 PM, Slache said:

Elnathan, Jesse, Matthias and Nathanael all mean gift. For my unplanned child. :dry:

On 1/19/2020 at 6:50 AM, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning! Coffee is necessary for function. Cheeto was up every hour last night. I kinda feel like I have sand in my eyes.

Growth spurt? When mine went through those, I'd just sleep with my shirt up and not wake up. They always found what they were looking for...😂

On 1/19/2020 at 8:30 AM, Where's Toto? said:

I need to lose about 25-ish pounds to be in overweight rather than obese range.   Then another 30 to be "normal" weight.   That's if I'm right and the 10 pounds I put on over the holidays is truly gone.   I haven't checked again.   I'm exercising, yoga/tai chi, watching fat and calories, going for whole grain and healthy carbs.  I'm more worried about my cholesterol and LDL which were on the high side with my last blood tests.   I was also super close to being hypothyroid, which I know isn't going to make anything easier.   And I'm 50 years old.  

Although I guess not quite menopause yet since I seem to have my period despite having had an ablation a few years ago.  Looks like mine is getting to the point of not working anymore.  So far it's just an occasional day here or there and I'm kind of hoping that's how it stays.  

On 1/19/2020 at 11:40 AM, Servant4Christ said:

Thanks for clarifying. I was sure you were being sarcastic, but at the same time, I was really wondering if I had somehow miscalculated how many children you have.

One of my best friends (1000+ miles away that I haven't seen in years) has 6 and one of my closest friends locally is expecting her 7th. I think its amazing. Oldest has always wanted a large family full of sisters and brothers, but I've learned to accept that God knows my limitations better than I do. When we announced that number 3 is on the way, our close friends were genuinely surprised but excited and happy for us. Some immediate family members, on the other hand, said we needed to find something else to occupy our time besides making babies. DH tried to console me by saying they were likely judging our age more than our family size. It still hurt. We weren't expecting Youngest or this new baby but who am I to question God's blessings or HIS timing? 

Yeah, I've questioned the timing of 11 years apart with one possible mc in between. But, I ask Him all kinds of questions, He's used to me by now... See, I'd rather ask questions becuz, the last time I said "I didn't want" to be changing diapers at age 30 ,31, 32, 33, 34, then 35, I wound up changing them at 37. Sense of humor and all that...

17 hours ago, Servant4Christ said:

Oh, and the old wives' tale of faster fetal heart rate means girl and slower means boy is not accurate here. 

Try the needle hanging on a thread over your wrist.

14 hours ago, Slache said:

I'm still waiting for the dream where I find out I'm pregnant with a cat.

I still haven't had that dream...

35 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

I haven't had that one before, but I have dreamed many times that we had a surprise twin hiding in there that was only discovered at delivery.

Now, THAT dream I've had often. Even when not pregnant...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

How's it done? I think a science experiment may be called for. At least I'll know if the result is accurate, right?

You dangle a ring or a needle over your belly. If it goes back and forth it's a boy, if it goes in circles it's a girl.

1 minute ago, Servant4Christ said:

Any ring? Thread, yarn, necklace? Will my wedding ring on thread work? And if I dangle it, are you sure it won't just stay still?

Some websites say that has to be the wedding band of the woman and a thread of her hair. I have no opinion on the matter. If it stays still it means the mother is incredibly graceful.

19 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Any ring? Thread, yarn, necklace? Will my wedding ring on thread work? And if I dangle it, are you sure it won't just stay still?

Thread a needle and dangle over your wrist. Back and forth is boy, circles is girl. It may initially be still before it moves. For women who have had children, it can do the kids in order (that I've seen). When I do it, it goes in circles, stops, circles again, stops. It does the same thing regardless of who is holding the thread. (Slash keeps saying it's body rhythm, but I can hold it over my wrist and it do one thing, and hold it over another woman's wrist and it do something else. We had fun with this when I was pregnant with Gymnast.).

Edited by Renai

1 hour ago, Slache said:

The clothes are garbage. Won't last a year, but I always buy maternity stuff there. It's basic, too. Simple tops and black skirts. It works.

1 hour ago, Spudater said:

I am intrigued

Clearance racks! 

And actually, I have clothes and a coat that I got at Kohls years ago and still wear regularly.  I've never gotten maternity clothes there. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

Ok. I used a strand of my hair and my wedding band. It went back and forth. Your turn.

I haven't seen my wedding ring in years. I have no idea where it is.

7 minutes ago, Renai said:

Thread a needle and dangle over your wrist. Back and forth is boy, circles is girl. It may initially be still before it moves. For women who have had children, it can do the kids in order (that I've seen). When I do it, it goes in circles, stops, circles again, stops. It does the same thing regardless of who is holding the thread. (Slash keeps saying it's body rhythm, but I can hold it over my wrist and it do one thing, and hold it over another woman's wrist and it do something else. We had fun with this when I was pregnant with Gymnast.).

tenor_gif8533524251496651200.gif

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Renai said:

Have you done it yet?

I don't know where my ring or needles are. I'm going to do it when Matt gets home because he can actually see things.

8 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I think we did the string over the belly thing with the first one.  And I know we did the pee in Drano thing with him.  Drano thing was correct.  I don't remember if the string was.  We never did either with any of the others.  

What?

Just now, ThatBookwormMom said:

No old wives' tales were accurate for mine, and I apparently have backwards mother's intuition. I though Reader was a boy, and I thought every boy was a girl. Once I'm *sure* of one gender, I know it must be the other.

What's the Drano thing? I never heard of that one.

I'm still wearing my maternity clothes, but you're welcome to them once I'm out of them. I'll ship them to anyone who can use them.

You mix your urine with Drano crystals. The color tells you what you're having.

29 minutes ago, Junie said:

Or you could just wait until you give birth... 😉

That's what we did for #2.

Everyone's guesses were wrong, because although my pregnancies were polar opposites, they were both girls. 😄 

15 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

No old wives' tales were accurate for mine, and I apparently have backwards mother's intuition. I though Reader was a boy, and I thought every boy was a girl. Once I'm *sure* of one gender, I know it must be the other.

Yeah, I suck at guessing too.

• Like 3

Went for a very cold hike at a state park nearby.

It was supposed to be a super short, easy hike but somehow we lost the trail and ending up scrambling up and back down a bunch of big rocks. The kids were delighted but I had to carry ds2 most of the way and was terrified of turning an ankle or something.

Then we drove around and saw some bison and also a porcupine up in a tree.

We stopped at Del Taco for food on the way home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2