Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Ok. I think I want both. Messaging you.

I assume the tribe, but locally. The Spanish here is wrong. Conversationally correct, proper nouns are wrong. Pronounced h, ll is /l/, no thrilled Rs. But only some words. Then there are some places where say a town and a street have the same name, but one is pronounced correctly and one is pronounced the way a gringo would. Matt says Helotes Hey-lo-tees/Hey-lo-tez, depending on who you ask.

Place names were like that in California. El Segundo--the middle syllable is pronounced like the word gun. San Pedro has a like Apple and e like East.

I lived in both those cities for several years and it drove me bonkers the whole time.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, whitehawk said:

I culled books to consign and rearranged some. I now have a one-foot stack to reread soon (on their own shelf) and a slightly taller stack for whenever i get to it, and a two-foot stack to glance at and see if I can make any use of them in the upcoming year, and about 40 books that will be leaving my house.

Before I sort consignment vs. Goodwill, speak up if you want me to send you (media mail, within USA only) any of the following (no cost to you, just pass it along when you're done):

• Problem-Based Learning in Your Homeschool, Shelagh Gallagher
  • Project-Based Homeschooling, Lori Pickert
  • Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed, Howard Gardner
  • Writing to Learn, William Zinsser
  • Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts, Sam Wineburg
  • Teaching Geography (with CD-ROM), Phil Gersmehl
  • Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics (Grades 3-5), John Van de Walle et al.
  • Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary School Children, Marianne Saccardi
  • Elementary Science Education (BFSU 2, grades 3-5), Bernard Nebel
  • Teaching Science Process Skills, Joyce Ramig et al.

Mind you, I did not go through all the books. I think President Jean's instructions could be taken too far, especially since we are out of chocolate.

If Slache decides she doesn't want BFSU I am interested; I have the first volume. 

It's a curriculum Booyah! 

Edited by maize
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, maize said:

You only have to pronounce it if you are from England.

Or Australia.

14 minutes ago, maize said:

If Slache decides she doesn't want BFSU I am interested; I have the first volume. 

It's a curriculum Booyah! 

You only get it if you fix your booya.

-OBB

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

Or Australia.

You only get it if you fix your booya.

-OBB

Never!

Actually, I was trying to think of a French way to spell bouiah...seems like I ought to be able to fit a few more silent vowels and consonants in there...I mean, they can make eau say "O" and aient say "A"...

But you get first dibs on the BFSU

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Renai said:

H in Spanish is silent. There is no contradictory thought, except from your husband.

Double LL in Spanish is pronounced /y/. You know these things. Stop listening to your husband! Or are you talking about the way that tribe pronounces it? You're driving me crazy!

If still available.

In Argentinian Spanish,  ll sounds like a j.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

I refuse to pronouce the "h" in "herb"; I don't care what Martha Stewart says.

The history of that word is interesting too. It basically has to do with its origins, which I cannot remember. I read about it on some page talking about why English words are pronounced the way they are, and how spellings and pronunciations changed.  Anyway, both ways of pronouncing "herb" are correct.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoJosMom said:

Yes, it's like a soft /j/, almost like the /zh/ in treasure. It shows up in words outside of Argentina as well. I tell about both ways in my classes, but the /y/ sound is more common and easier.

There's another sound I cannot remember...but a colleague of mine from South America was pronouncing a letter in a way I had never heard before... You know, I think it was ll. She pronounced it almost like /sh/, but not quite.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, maize said:

Never!

Actually, I was trying to think of a French way to spell bouiah...seems like I ought to be able to fit a few more silent vowels and consonants in there...I mean, they can make eau say "O" and aient say "A"...

Way to stand strong, Maize!

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, maize said:

Never!

No, I have the PDF. It's yours.

35 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

I knew this because of Felipe. You would have liked Felipe. All of you would have liked Felipe.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, whitehawk said:
  • Problem-Based Learning in Your Homeschool, Shelagh Gallagher  going to Ikslo.
  • Project-Based Homeschooling, Lori Pickert  going to @Renai; please PM address.
  • Truth, Beauty, and Goodness Reframed, Howard Gardner
  • Writing to Learn, William Zinsser
  • Teaching Student-Centered Mathematics (Grades 3-5), John Van de Walle et al. going to ThatBookwormMom.
  • Teaching Geography (with CD-ROM), Phil Gersmehl going to Slache.
  • Elementary Science Education (BFSU 2, grades 3-5), Bernard Nebel   going to @maize; please PM address.

Unclaimed:

• Teaching Science Process Skills, Joyce Ramig et al.
  • Historical Thinking and Other Unnatural Acts, Sam Wineburg
  • Art in Story: Teaching Art History to Elementary School Children, Marianne Saccardi

Let me know if I got something wrong!

• Like 4

Good morning!

Another hot day today, though the temps should dip back down into the 80's later in the week.  For me, summer starts when it is 80* by 8am.  Not there yet.

I forgot about the rest of the sleeping bag laundry.

Church in 20 minutes; IP sweet potatoes for lunch.

Coffee!

• Like 5

Morning. I slept in and took a shower. Amazingly, DH has not sent the cats in to get me up. I appreciate this. I was exhausted. 

Still tired, but up now. Thinking about going to a writing event in Tennessee this summer. My agent will be there, and there are some fantasy classes I would enjoy.

Just wish it was Memphis, not Nashville for driving purposes. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 6

I don't know how hot it is outside. But it looks plenty hot. Might be a good day to go find a smallish lake to play in, but probably won't. We all have our eyes on the river flooding right now, and I'd like to see how high the water gets in the fields. All the bees are safe now. 

• Like 4

One of our neighbors, who dh has known and been friendly with for 20 years, died yesterday.  He was a general contractor before he retired, was up on his roof taking care of a tree that fell on his roof our last storm, fell and broke his neck.  His wife found him when she came home.   😢  Just really makes you think how quickly things can happen.    He was always walking around the neighborhood with his dog, very friendly guy.   

I didn't know him as well as dh, but I'm having trouble not thinking about him.  Dh is about the same age and regularly goes up on our roof to fix the satellite dish and plans to fix our roof (with some help) this summer.   Our roof is much lower (barely 10 feet at the peak) and not nearly as steep but still.  I was worried about it before.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

I visited another church today, and they announced they're doing the exact thing that my church is annoying me by refusing to do. I put my name down for their email list.

I think I need to hit a grocery store before I can make dinner.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Dilettante 72% dark hot chocolate is the. best.  

One of my kids recently tested as copper deficient. One of the best sources of copper (right after liver and squid...) is dark chocolate.

This is clearly a nutritional supplement.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Junie said:

(((Toto et al.)))  IME, sudden deaths are often the hardest to deal with.

I stood.  I sang.  I napped (not during church). 😉

I napped during church.

I had horrid insomnia last night so when little kernel was fussy I took him out to the van and drove around until he fell asleep, then drove back to the church parking lot and napped in the van with him until the rest of my family got out of church.

• Like 4

We played Phase 10.  Dh got annoyed at a person (me) for lightly drumming their fingers on the table and immediately admitted the irony, having been annoying people with his compulsive table drumming his entire life.  Dd16 started to cry because she should not be trying to learn a new game after 7:00pm.  Dh played half the game for ds14 who was in the bathroom.  Dd20 gave us a rundown on the 13 components of scab formation.  Dd10 is a card shark.  We'll have to watch that one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We are taking a week off of school because the kids are broken with everything that's been going on lately. Since I work tonight I'm going to be pretty lazy today and go through all of this the school stuff to see what we have left to do and reevaluate our routine for the rest of the year. Tomorrow, I'm digging the majority of the stuff out of the kids room, organizing everything and possibly moving furniture. This might be a two-day project. By Monday I'm hoping to have school and art organized on two different carts so that everything actually fits on my school cart, and we're hoping to have a bookshelf by then. I ordered teaching the classics and God and the history of Art so I can start lesson planning soon.

• Like 5

Okay! We can finish everything we wanted to finish this year at the pace we were going. I didn't think we would be able to do that between the move and the aftermath thereof and I was unwilling to speed up. We are going to finish history early but I will just use that time to read biographies or whatnot and he's going to finish Spanish grammar early  but he doesn't need that everyday anyway. This week I need to sort through the last smidgen of our art lessons and read partnership writing which I kept claiming I was going to do...

• Like 2

Morning.   I feel like it's not right to say Happy Memorial Day because it's really not supposed to be a "happy" holiday, right?  But Happy Memorial Day seems the thing to say if you don't think about it.   

Happy Monday works, happier than the usual Mondays because we don't have to do any of the usual Monday stuff like get up early and work.

• Like 5

I can't decide if I want to continue with full school for a few more weeks, I'm off this week and I finish this session of my classes June 14th, or let the kids switch to a summer schedule now.   We do some school all summer - usually just math and reading but I'm thinking of also adding some writing.  Just a daily journal entry maybe.   

We are sort of "behind" this year.  We took some time getting into a routine with opening the science center.  So, we didn't get as far as I wanted in history.  But two or three extra weeks isn't really going to effect that and I'm the only one who it matters to.

I could finish up early and work on next years plans.  Ds will be in high school next year so plans definitely need to be made.  Math is pretty much just continuing along (and we're working on that all summer anyway), but I want to plan everything else.  

• Like 2