Menu

Ignore this thread!

What do you guys do for self care? I need to get back into it. I would like to dedicate 20 minutes a day to physical self care in the evening and 20 to spiritual growth in the morning.

So far I'm thinking stretching, eyebrow catastrophe, putting oil on my hands, face and hair, massage (I have a shiatsu thing), and Epsom salt baths.

For the mornings I just have prayer and reading.

• Like 5

Good morning!

How was your last day of work, Slache?

I don't really do self care in that way.  The thought of scheduling in something else every day is annoying to me.  I've tried to do a couple things on a regular basis, but soon dropped it because annoying. Maybe summer break is my self care.  

Toto, I hope you can get those bathrooms opened!

I have to call the ENT to schedule an appointment for dd10.  She's through her round of antibiotics but she's still not hearing well and the clinic doctor said we should see the ENT.  

Ds23 has a phone job interview today.  Seems a little odd, but I guess it's a thing.  Prayers are welcome.

I have to go to the grocery store to buy a cucumber and stop at the bank.

Coffee!

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Ds23 has a phone job interview today.  Seems a little odd, but I guess it's a thing.  Prayers are welcome.

Often, people are sifted out via phone interview before being invited for a face-to-face. It saves everyone time.

• Like 6

Morning.  We're supposed to get crazy thunderstorms and rain later on today.  Whoopee, can't wait.  🙄

Dd is heading back to TKD today.  After the first class under the new set-up she ended up with a nasty cold so missed the next three classes.   Of course, we'll probably end up driving there in the middle of these crazy thunderstorms, so that will be extra fun.

Have to run to walmart today, run by the science center to feed the animals and do some cleaning.  I'm putting in some new bookcases along one whole wall in the classroom and they won't be in until Thursday.  I already moved everything off that wall and off the floor, and my cleaning person is going to mop tomorrow morning (those corners have been missed a lot since there's always stuff there).  Then I'll set up the bookcases and start rearranging things (AGAIN!).   I'm hoping to get rid of one tall garage type cabinet.  The fire marshall made me move it (it was partially, almost, sort of blocking the back exit door) and I hate where it is now.  But there's really nowhere else to put it so I'm hoping to just be able to get rid of it.

A friend of a friend of a friend was getting rid of a big box of science supplies and I gave it to me.   A couple of ring stands (the one thing I really wanted but was waiting to buy because they are $$$), Erlenmeyer flasks, 1000 ml beakers, test tubes, graduated cylinders, lots and lots of wonderful stuff.  And I few things I have no idea what they are.

• Like 9

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!

I am on the  main computer this morning because my iPad keeps kicking me off ITT. It's fine with the rest of the Boards, but for some reason it thinks it must protect me from ITT. Ha. I showed it.

Nothing much going on today. School. Cleaning up the house. Trying to organize my schedule. Budget things. Bleh!!!

Self-care???  Hmmm. Well, I do devotions in the  morning for an hour. I let the kids sleep later than I should, just because I need the quiet time. I was doing yoga three times a week before I got sick and then I got out of the habit. I need to get back in the habit.  It made me feel a lot better. I get my hair done on a regular basis, I spend the $ on a Stitch Fix every three months so I can have clothes I like and look good on me and not look like I just stepped out of the Walmart dressing room. For me, looking decent goes a long way with how I feel. I'm not a glamour-puss by any stretch of the imagination, but I do shower, do my hair and make-up every day and try to wear clothes that are decent.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5

I forgot to answer the self-care question.  I don't know if it counts but my relaxation, escape-from-the-world go-to is reading.  Burying myself in a good book.  And I do that pretty much daily.  Some days more than others but I almost always have a book going that I pick up whenever I have a few minutes.

What I SHOULD be doing for self-care - yoga, exercise, meditation, journaling.   I'm going to work on it.  Soon.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Slache said:

What do you guys do for self care? I need to get back into it. I would like to dedicate 20 minutes a day to physical self care in the evening and 20 to spiritual growth in the morning.

So far I'm thinking stretching, eyebrow catastrophe, putting oil on my hands, face and hair, massage (I have a shiatsu thing), and Epsom salt baths.

For the mornings I just have prayer and reading.

Qu’est-ce que c’est ça?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Bah! I fell asleep and slept in way too late!

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

How was your last day of work, Slache?

I don't really do self care in that way.  The thought of scheduling in something else every day is annoying to me.  I've tried to do a couple things on a regular basis, but soon dropped it because annoying. Maybe summer break is my self care.  

Toto, I hope you can get those bathrooms opened!

I have to call the ENT to schedule an appointment for dd10.  She's through her round of antibiotics but she's still not hearing well and the clinic doctor said we should see the ENT.  

I have to go to the grocery store to buy a cucumber and stop at the bank.

Coffee!

My last day was strange. I feel like I just met this man, I became completely intertwined in his life, and then I left. It was weird saying goodbye. I don't think he believes I'm going to visit him. He asked a lot of end of our relationship questions like he was saying goodbye.

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!!

I am on the  main computer this morning because my iPad keeps kicking me off ITT. It's fine with the rest of the Boards, but for some reason it thinks it must protect me from ITT. Ha. I showed it.

Nothing much going on today. School. Cleaning up the house. Trying to organize my schedule. Budget things. Bleh!!!

Self-care???  Hmmm. Well, I do devotions in the  morning for an hour. I let the kids sleep later than I should, just because I need the quiet time. I was doing yoga three times a week before I got sick and then I got out of the habit. I need to get back in the habit.  It made me feel a lot better. I get my hair done on a regular basis, I spend the $ on a Stitch Fix every three months so I can have clothes I like and look good on me and not look like I just stepped out of the Walmart dressing room. For me, looking decent goes a long way with how I feel. I'm not a glamour-puss by any stretch of the imagination, but I do shower, do my hair and make-up every day and try to wear clothes that are decent.

Yes, we do quiet time in the afternoon. My kids will not sleep in. It's against their religion.

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

I forgot to answer the self-care question.  I don't know if it counts but my relaxation, escape-from-the-world go-to is reading.  Burying myself in a good book.  And I do that pretty much daily.  Some days more than others but I almost always have a book going that I pick up whenever I have a few minutes.

What I SHOULD be doing for self-care - yoga, exercise, meditation, journaling.   I'm going to work on it.  Soon.

You forgot to answer and then I forgot to reply. Yes, I read in the evenings. Quietly. With nobody talking to me.

1 hour ago, JoJosMom said:

Qu’est-ce que c’est ça?

It's what you do with your free time when you don't have horses.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Exactement!

I didn't have to Google this one!

3 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

My opinion is, if you've made time for devotions/prayer/reading/quiet time/exercise, etc. you are already doing "self-care."  Something about that term just grates on my nerves, although I don't  begrudge anyone else calling it that or whatever.  I take time for each of those daily, or not, depending on what I feel like doing that day.  I could never "schedule in" "self care", although I definitely take care of those things each day.    And I take as long as I take.  I don't set a limit.

I just wondered if there was something obvious that was missing. Jean doing her stretches every night got me doing stretches every night which I think is the only reason I was able to move the bed yesterday. And I used to put oil on my face which I should probably start doing again.

• Like 4

I can’t believe it. My iPad did not kick me off ITT. I guess I showed it who’s boss.

In other news, Lily-Cat is once more stuck in a tree. She was stuck in the garage all weekend while we were gone. We got home and all we could hear was this extremely loud miaowing when we opened the garage door. As if it was our fault she was trapped in there. The other cats had the sense to stay outside where there was food and their kitty beds on the patio.

• Like 3

I do self care in spurts all day. 

In the morning I do “waist twists”, bird dogs, hip exercises, leg raises, calf stretches and squats. I have been adding things as I read Katy Bowman’s blogs designed to put my body into better alignment. I do the exercises first thing now so that I am not in too much pain to do them  

I read Katy Bowman’s blog daily ( about three minutes). If there is a new exercise shown I might find a moment to try it out. Most new exercises are broken down in components and I ease into them. 

I take a boatload of meds and supplements three times a day. I should be testing my bloodsugars four times a day but sometimes I rebel. I am taking 600 mg of magnesium broken into three doses. It’s hard on my tummy but I no longer look like I am auditioning for The Exorcist. 

I walk my step goal daily. 

I track all my food on SparkPeople and have a calorie range that I try to hit. I try to eat Paleo but with dairy. 

I encourage myself by sending myself encouraging texts. Many times it is a verse from the Bible. Many times it is an inspiration like “do hard things “. It’s what I need to hear to just keep going and I don’t care if anyone else finds it hokey. I send them to myself because I have found that no-one else can refrain from judging or nagging instead of just encouraging.  

I pray a lot during my day. Just while doing my daily stuff. I think through Scripture and Biblical principles. I guess that this is meditating while still getting the dishes and the laundry done. I try to keep “in fellowship “ .  This means confessing all known sins (1 John 1:9) so that I am living most of my life under the power of God the Holy Spirit and not under the power of my own flesh  I don’t tend to do devotions (bad pastor’s wife) but I do a lot of studying when prepping to teach the Bible  

I start a tackle list the night before and I update it through the day. My tackle buddies are a great encouragement to me and it helps to know that others have to dash  out to get emergency cat food on occasion. 

I don’t need things like lotion etc but I do wash my hair every other day. I wear clean clothes. I try to look neat. 

I try to do two twenty minute sessions of gardening a day. This isn’t just a chore for me. It is a full body workout. 

I go to the chiropractor once a week. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

More on self care - aka my philosophy of life.

I try very hard not to complain for three reasons. 

1)  Being around someone with chronic pain is very hard on people.  They want you to get better after two weeks and thirty years of this drives most people away.  So if I do vent on occasion to people (rather than to God which I do all the time in prayer that is also asking for help), then I try to rotate who hears my vents. 

2)  I believe that complaining (grumbling or murmuring in the Bible) is a sin.  That is, if it just for the sake of complaining.  God put me in this life and circumstances for a reason and I try to grow from it and move on in a way that hopefully honors God.

3)  Too much complaining leads to depression for me.  It isn't helpful and does nothing to get me offa my thang.  I find it much more productive to try to find solutions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Oh and one more thing.  Timers, stopwatches etc. are my friend.  I tell myself that anyone can do anything for five minutes.  (In extremely bad times this has been for "one minute").  I set a timer for five minutes and I do the thing.  Hopefully after the alarm goes off at five minutes I am able to keep going.  Sometimes I can't and that's fine.  I set another timer for how long I can rest and then when I can, I do five more minutes.  Actually right now I'm in a very good place and my timer is usually set for 20 minutes at a time. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, maize said:

Someone tell me how to get my children to clean the house.

Or at least stop messing it up faster than I can clean.

I need the rain to stop so I can banish them to the yard.

I have for you a very important quote from a Cub Scout leader, who was often asked about possibly rainy weather when outdoor events were planned:

"What happens if it rains?

Cub Scouts get wet!"

Banish away if you can have the washer empty when they come back in!

• Like 6

Morning. I went out and picked blueberries. Then I decided to be a stereotype and be that mom that bakes muffins. So the house smells really good. But part of them are for the writing group tonight because I'm in a sharing mood, and I don't need to eat the muffins. The plain blueberries are delicious enough.

For self-care, I will probably eat a muffin, though. I don't really make a place for self-care exactly. I just try not to schedule myself too much. Make sure I have my writing time every day and my art time when I'm in need of paint. I won't put that "down" on a list anywhere, or get up early or stay up late for it. Writing is a top priority. Just happens to be something I hope will pay me someday. Art may never pay me, but it pays me in a sense of accomplishment that doesn't have to do with having done something, but having made something. So, again. Priority. I'm kind of selfish that way.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, maize said:

Yes! Quickly! Someone tell maize. So she can tell me.

Next assignment: How does one get a creature with a defective Y chromosome to do the same?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, maize said:

My kids' chores are divided into 2 times of the day. No one eats until their chores are finished.

3 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Yes! Quickly! Someone tell maize. So she can tell me.

Next assignment: How does one get a creature with a defective Y chromosome to do the same?

Please see above response.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think my son is going to be living in the garden this summer. He's out in it first thing in the morning, finishes his school work, and he's out there again.  I have two plants in it. All the rest are his: pumpkins, carrots, grape vines...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, maize said:

Set the timer for 5 minutes. See how much they can get done in each room in 5 minutes.

or

Each kid gets a room. No electronics till the room is picked up.

or

Bribery with chocolate chips.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

I will spare you the lengthy vent, but I still do not have chocolate chips I can eat and it's a business's fault. *sigh*

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

This sounds like a job for the ENB!

1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

Elephant Ninjas, please report to Southern Indiana. Elephant Ninjas. Thank you.

40 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

On our way! 

Fire up the chopper. Man the bazookas and the flame throwers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

We are under a tornado warning.  We NEVER get tornadoes here.   Not really sure what we should do.  We have no basement or interior rooms.   

Pretty bad thunderstorm going on overhead, which I guess is related to the tornado?  But we still have power, so I guess no trees have come down in the area.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

3 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

We are under a tornado warning.  We NEVER get tornadoes here.   Not really sure what we should do.  We have no basement or interior rooms.   

Pretty bad thunderstorm going on overhead, which I guess is related to the tornado?  But we still have power, so I guess no trees have come down in the area.

Do you have any rooms without windows?  A powder room or a largish closet?

Praying that you will be safe!!

ETA: Stay Safe Booyah.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

Just now, Junie said:

Do you have any rooms without windows?  A powder room or a largish closet?

Praying that you will be safe!!

Nope,  no rooms without windows.  Most of them have huge, entire wall windows.  No interior rooms.  We have a small bungalow.  

I think the warning has passed us, at least it was supposed to end at 9pm.  

• Like 3