Menu

Ignore this thread!

7 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I have been working almost non-stop, it seems, but today two friends and I did this:

IMG_20190601_151639~2.jpg

Mine is on the right.  Then I took ds out to eat and to the pet store and DD to her friend's house.  Then I went to work.

Beautiful!  I love all three!  🏆

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Where's Toto? said:

No new couch.   The delivery guys brought it, got it off the truck, and then weren't strong enough to actually bring it in the house.  It's a double motorized reclining sofa that weighs about 300 pounds and is awkward.  The one guy looked like he weighed about 100 pounds.    They only had this little handtruck that there's no way the couch would fit on it, and our driveway and walkway are gravel so that wouldn't help anything anyway.  So, they had to take it back and we have to wait until it's checked back into the warehouse for us to call and reschedule the delivery.   On the bright side, they did note on the file that they need at least 4 people to deliver it.

o.0   Maybe the people who put it on the truck could've told them that...?

We all have sore throats. I dropped something off at church and then went to CVS to get DS more medicine. Now I coffee.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Sorry about those sore throats, Whitehawk!  Thank goodness for coffee!

Dd16 stayed home from church this morning with a croup-y cough.  She did her ears and had a cold-eeze and drank some tea and is feeling a bit better now.  Hopefully it will be short-lived.

• Like 4

This post is directed at @Critterfixer but I will take feedback from anyone.

John, who turns 9 in November, has been wanting to write his own book for a long time. He has written several short books/stories but he wants to write something longer so I had decided to do nanowrimo this year. My question is how do we prepare for that? So far I have...

1. Been doing free writes on Fridays by minutes and plan to do nanowrimo by minutes instead of word count for our first time.

2. Purchased teaching the classics (the thing I've been squealing about) and will run through several books with him covering main concepts such as setting, plot, characters... He already understands all of that and has written some pretty good books but he tends to veer off course losing the plot and sort of corrupting the characters if you will.

3. Downloaded the nanowrimo workbook for 3rd through 5th graders. I plan to do it with him writing my own story.

4. Had him start typing lessons earlier this year in hopes that he would be able to type it. I think we're going to make it.

The only goal is that he writes a book that he's happy with. We will not participate online, we will not set a word count goal, we will not do anything outside of our own little writing sessions. I figure this way he might be completely content with what he does and learn some skills to carry over into his free time. During nanowrimo we will not do our writing, grammar or spelling curriculum.

• Like 2

I am having a delightfully lazy Sunday afternoon. I'm reading a good novel. I've been struggling so much with my reading. I'm doing the Tim Challies Reading Challenge https://www.challies.com/resources/the-2019-christian-reading-challenge/ again this year, but unlike last year, I haven't been choosing very good books. I don't know what the deal is. Anyhow, I have finally found a good book. It's just a sweet novel, but it's thoughtful and well written and I am enjoying it very much.

Here it is in case anyone is interested. https://www.amazon.com/Lizzy-Jane-Katherine-Reay/dp/1401689736

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I am having a delightfully lazy Sunday afternoon. I'm reading a good novel. I've been struggling so much with my reading. I'm doing the Tim Challies Reading Challenge https://www.challies.com/resources/the-2019-christian-reading-challenge/ again this year, but unlike last year, I haven't been choosing very good books. I don't know what the deal is. Anyhow, I have finally found a good book. It's just a sweet novel, but it's thoughtful and well written and I am enjoying it very much.

Here it is in case anyone is interested. https://www.amazon.com/Lizzy-Jane-Katherine-Reay/dp/1401689736

Do you have to actually read, or is audio fine?

You would think so, wouldn't you?  That was my point. 

Third super busy day in a row and I am super tired.   We had a great time at the street festival.  Our snake was super popular and probably had her picture taken 500 times.  But it was 7 hours of talking to people so a really long day.  I finished planning classes for tomorrow but I need to go in early because my class tables are covered with stuff that used to be on extra tables that I took down to put in bookcases and cubes.  Now all that stuff has to be put on the shelves/in the cubes and it has to be done tomorrow morning before class so that those tables are cleared off for me to do classes.    I'm taking a shower and going to bed early, and hoping I can actually sleep. 

Tomorrow is my really long day so I really hope I can sleep.  Three classes, three tutoring students including one that jumped to an hour from 30 minutes.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, whitehawk said:

o.0   Maybe the people who put it on the truck could've told them that...?

OKay, the start of my previous post was supposed to be in response to this but the quote didn't work for some reason.

You would think so, wouldn't you?

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

What kind of rat?

Frozen.

43 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Wait - is Mr. M in his new home?  How is he doing?

Good. He was outside feeding the pigeons. Some everyday concerns seemed better.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I'm glad he's doing better. But sad that you're out of a job.  You'll find another one soon!

What? No! Why would I do that? I made a bunch of money so I could fix the car so Matt can do all the work from now on. Working was awful. I was exhausted. And not a good mom. I'm not doing that again.

I would if I had to but I need longer in between shifts. I spent all the time I wasn't working sleeping because I couldn't get a full night's sleep. But now that the car qualifies for Uber and Lyft Matt makes enough after inspections. I'm retired.

32 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We had spaghetti for dinner. 

Yo tambourine!

• Like 4

Good morning!  It's The Queen's favorite day!

The Youngers are having a "screen free" week except for one who needs the screen to do her math and ACT prep.  We think the van has an oil leak, so dh took it to the shop early this morning.  Not looking forward to that bill.  Dd12 has an ortho appointment this morning, and this afternoon/evening is touring choir rehearsal, tour parent meeting, and scouts.

Coffee!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Slache said:

This post is directed at @Critterfixer but I will take feedback from anyone.

John, who turns 9 in November, has been wanting to write his own book for a long time. He has written several short books/stories but he wants to write something longer so I had decided to do nanowrimo this year. My question is how do we prepare for that? So far I have...

1. Been doing free writes on Fridays by minutes and plan to do nanowrimo by minutes instead of word count for our first time.

2. Purchased teaching the classics (the thing I've been squealing about) and will run through several books with him covering main concepts such as setting, plot, characters... He already understands all of that and has written some pretty good books but he tends to veer off course losing the plot and sort of corrupting the characters if you will.

3. Downloaded the nanowrimo workbook for 3rd through 5th graders. I plan to do it with him writing my own story.

4. Had him start typing lessons earlier this year in hopes that he would be able to type it. I think we're going to make it.

The only goal is that he writes a book that he's happy with. We will not participate online, we will not set a word count goal, we will not do anything outside of our own little writing sessions. I figure this way he might be completely content with what he does and learn some skills to carry over into his free time. During nanowrimo we will not do our writing, grammar or spelling curriculum.

That sounds good. And don't worry if stories wander. They are supposed to, and even rigid outliners will tell you a character who comes to life will go off course. Probably the biggest thing to do is have him get comfortable with writing the same story day after day to get where it's going. And not to be afraid to wander around and see what characters do.  Fix all that later if the story holds together and the characters are interesting. 

Biggest thing is to just enjoy the process and explore it with younger kids. If he has a day where he can't write, that's perfectly fine. He could even write another story, draw characters, or act them out, think about them...have fun with it. Creative writing should always be a joy. Doesn't mean everything about it is fun. I've ripped my hair out fixing things in revisions. But there's always something that makes me happy about it, and that's what you want a child to understand. What is happy and delightful about creative writing so that when things get hard, they know where to look to find joy.

• Like 6

I'm going to pick berries this morning. No school. Playing hooky, and I just might haul the boys and the boats off to a nearby creek so I can work on my characters and brainstorm ideas for more stories. My agent was shocked I'd written another series, but wants me to work on a standalone of some kind as well. Basically, wants me to cook up 2-3 more books by the end of the summer. I can do that.😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!~D

Monday!!😩

School!!

Mockingbird is singing her or his little heart out again this morning. I love waking up to that.

It’s supposed to pass the 100 degree mark this week.😩☀️🔥 Last Sunday we had snow at Family Camp and we’re freezing out patooties off. This week we melt.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I'm glad he's doing better. But sad that you're out of a job.  You'll find another one soon!

9 hours ago, Slache said:

What? No! Why would I do that? I made a bunch of money so I could fix the car so Matt can do all the work from now on. Working was awful. I was exhausted. And not a good mom. I'm not doing that again.

I would if I had to but I need longer in between shifts. I spent all the time I wasn't working sleeping because I couldn't get a full night's sleep. But now that the car qualifies for Uber and Lyft Matt makes enough after inspections. I'm retired.

Yo tambourine!

Oh, then let me rephrase that.

I’m glad you had the opportunity to have that job, but now that it’s done and you have met your financial obligations, it is wonderful that you can go back to taking care of your family at home.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Spudater said:

Does anyone else get really paranoid when they are being ignored?  Like, is everyone just ignoring me because I’m insignificant and if I just repeat myself often enough finally they’ll decide “oh, yeah, guess i should answer her” or are they irritated because i’ve committed some sort of faux pas i know nothing about and every time i ask thry are just getting more and more irritated with me so it’d actually be better if i just shut up?

lol, i wish people would ignore me the way you guys ignore this thread. 

The context is amazing schola director guy is moving away 😭 and so is amazing opera singer volunteer girl and I am freaking out about how we are going to replace him but second in command lady is blowing me off and i emailed the group asking if we could have a planning meeting and only one person replied. I don’t know if second in command lady is secretly upset with me for not assuming she can handle it, but frankly, she can’t, at least not unless we make a lot of changes.  She knows a lot about chant and could handle that part of it but I’ve sang next to her for a long time now and her voice is not strong enough to cantor and I really don’t know if she would be able to direct polyphony or even hymns. You’d think though she could at least tell me, I’ve got this under control, we are just not going to do polyphony anymore and are only going to do super simple two part hymns Etc.  

I think the most frustrating part is that I don’t have the knowledge or singing ability to rush in and save the day either, so I just have to sit around and wait for people that are apparently going to leave all these decisions to the last minute. 😱 This is why I never pulled an all nighter in college. I always finished early because the stress of leaving things to the last minute just kills me. 

(((Spud)))

Sorry your director is leaving.  I would just let the 2nd in command try to handle it, even if she can't.  😞

• Like 3

Every time I think that I am making progress on my to-do list, something else comes up.

I just received an email reminding me to schedule dd8's dentist appointment... which reminded me of another appointment that I need to make...  

ETA:  I've had a Booyah waiting for me all day and I just now realized it.  So, Booyah!  I got a lot of things on my list done.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Critterfixer said:

That sounds good. And don't worry if stories wander. They are supposed to, and even rigid outliners will tell you a character who comes to life will go off course. Probably the biggest thing to do is have him get comfortable with writing the same story day after day to get where it's going. And not to be afraid to wander around and see what characters do.  Fix all that later if the story holds together and the characters are interesting. 

Biggest thing is to just enjoy the process and explore it with younger kids. If he has a day where he can't write, that's perfectly fine. He could even write another story, draw characters, or act them out, think about them...have fun with it. Creative writing should always be a joy. Doesn't mean everything about it is fun. I've ripped my hair out fixing things in revisions. But there's always something that makes me happy about it, and that's what you want a child to understand. What is happy and delightful about creative writing so that when things get hard, they know where to look to find joy.

Thank you! I know that his stories should wander, the problem is that he winds up unhappy with the end result and he is discouraged from writing. I thought this would be a good opportunity for him to develop his skill.

He often takes writing breaks to draw maps and characters for his books. :biggrin:

• Like 3

The van engine is burning oil.  I asked why it would be doing that and dh is going to call them back to see if they have any ideas.  Engine work on this kind of van is very expensive because of the way it is situated.  The last time we had them try to figure out what was wrong with the engine, it cost us $700 just for the diagnostic work.  Svengo.

OK, now we understand the burning oil problem.  

• Sad 1

So it looks like we have a couple options with the Elderly Van.  The mechanic recommends that we replace the engine that will come with a  3-year/100,000-mile warranty for $8000.  Which sounds nice, except it doesn't deal with the timing chain that needs to be replaced or the transmission which it starting to show it's age. 

Another option is to replace the timing chain and just deal with the burning oil issue for another 6-12 months while we save up some money to buy a replacement vehicle.  The timing chain will be expensive, but not $8K expensive.  We still feel we need a vehicle that will fit at least 8 people plus camping gear.  So that's a thing.  Not sure how much 12-passenger vans are going for these days - ours is 11 years old.

Now I have to schedule dd12 for periodontal surgery.  I need more coffee.  And some chocolate.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

So it looks like we have a couple options with the Elderly Van.  The mechanic recommends that we replace the engine that will come with a  3-year/100,000-mile warranty for $8000.  Which sounds nice, except it doesn't deal with the timing chain that needs to be replaced or the transmission which it starting to show it's age. 

Another option is to replace the timing chain and just deal with the burning oil issue for another 6-12 months while we save up some money to buy a replacement vehicle.  The timing chain will be expensive, but not $8K expensive.  We still feel we need a vehicle that will fit at least 8 people plus camping gear.  So that's a thing.  Not sure how much 12-passenger vans are going for these days - ours is 11 years old.

Now I have to schedule dd12 for periodontal surgery.  I need more coffee.  And some chocolate.

No, sweetie. You need bourbon.

Well, actually, with the chocolate, perhaps a nice glass of port?

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hi. I need the cranky pants today- the ones with the bazooka side pocket. 

Heading off to FedEx...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1