Menu

Ignore this thread!

3 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

Nope,  no rooms without windows.  Most of them have huge, entire wall windows.  No interior rooms.  We have a small bungalow.  

I think the warning has passed us, at least it was supposed to end at 9pm.  

It sounds like a beautiful house, just not during a tornado. 

4 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Me too!  But having both the Olders at home means a pot of coffee doesn't get us through the day!  And Someone drank the last bit when I wasn't looking!

Uh, Susah, I think this constitutes an emergency. You need one of those big industrial sized coffee pots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Nope,  no rooms without windows.  Most of them have huge, entire wall windows.  No interior rooms.  We have a small bungalow.  

Aaaaack, Toto!!!!  I hope you are all right.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Where's Toto? said:

Closet?  If I remember correctly, the plumbing pipes in bathrooms can offer a bit of protection, as can the extra framing of a closet door.  Keep low to the ground.  Stay safe!  

• Like 3

I have run out of my face lotion and do not want to buy more right now because it is expensive. It lasts for several months but is $30 a tub. I put coconut oil on my face. Is there a good reason for me not to keep doing that?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Slache said:

I have run out of my face lotion and do not want to buy more right now because it is expensive. It lasts for several months but is $30 a tub. I put coconut oil on my face. Is there a good reason for me not to keep doing that?

I don’t know of any cons. I’ve heard of others liking coconut oil. 

• Like 2

So now it looks like Mr. M is not going into a home, but she can't afford for me to keep coming so she wants me to come for less money? I'm having a difficult time discerning her text messages. She said she was going to talk to her brother and get back to me. I do not have the financial freedom to just go over to this guy's house and spend hours every day making little to no money.

• Like 5

We're all fine here.  Our bathroom is on an outside wall that is the most exposed so I wasn't sure that was a good idea.  Two closets and they are both about 1/2 size so even one of the kids barely fits in each.   We are on the side of a mountain so tornadoes are very unlikely where we are, but then again they are unlikely all around here yet here we are.

Looks like the main damage was to a high school near where I used to live, where oldest dd had her dance recitals each year.  It took a direct hit and then there was a fire.   Other than that, lots of trees down which happens a lot around here.

We're supposed to get more severe thunderstorms later today.  I'm trying to decide if I should move our picnic to the Friday rain date.  Most of today is supposed to be fine but they aren't really giving a time for those thunderstorms to start and some people travel pretty far.  Friday is supposed to have rain in the morning, but be nice the rest of the day.

• Like 8

44 minutes ago, Slache said:

So now it looks like Mr. M is not going into a home, but she can't afford for me to keep coming so she wants me to come for less money? I'm having a difficult time discerning her text messages. She said she was going to talk to her brother and get back to me. I do not have the financial freedom to just go over to this guy's house and spend hours every day making little to no money.

No, you can’t do it for less.  How was a home going to be less?  (You don’t have to answer that.). Hope they work out the financial side so it’s a win for everyone. 

• Like 4

Okay. I'm not working tonight. The kids and I are going to finish the nursery. We are pulling all of the bins out, emptying, and scrubbing them. Well... "scrubbing". There are a few toys that have been missing since the move and the kids think that we left them at the old apartment. We did not leave them at the old apartment.

I told them that they were each going to get to pick one movie this week and I am using that time to do some school stuff.

Ready? Break!

16 minutes ago, Another Lynn said:

No, you can’t do it for less.  How was a home going to be less?  (You don’t have to answer that.). Hope they work out the financial side so it’s a win for everyone. 

Because she thought he was going to be on Medicaid. I tried to explain to her that Medicaid takes a few weeks but something wasn't clicking.

• Like 4

Good morning!

Glad you guys are doing OK, Toto!  The tornado storms reminded me of one of the trails we hiked on last week.  It was hit by a tornado about 6 months ago and portions of the trail looked like they'd just come through with a chain saw and cut a path through the piles of downed trees.

How are things in your area, Critter?  Are the bees still accepting of their move?

Sorry about all the job weirdness, Slache.  That makes it really difficult - hopefully they can figure out how to give you some reasonable hours with regular pay.

We are going to McKay's (used bookstore) this morning because dd20 likes to go look when she's in town.  My two list items to complete today (and hopefully before we leave for the bookstore) are to mop under my bed and sort through/dispose of the three bags of clothes in the living room.  Also the deck garden needs to be watered.

Coffee!

• Like 5

1 minute ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Good morning, beauties. Today we're traveling to Mexico for school! We're going to set up chairs and "fly" to Mexico. Then we're going to get our passports stamped at Customs (Reader's job), exchange our US dollars for pesos (Runner's job), and stop to buy food from a street cart (the kitchen). I may be just as excited as the kids!

I wanna have school at Bookie's house!

• Like 5

Moved the picnic to Friday.  Decided I didn't want people to have to drive home in severe thunderstorms.  Friday is supposed to have some rain in the morning then be nice the rest of the day.

So, my key to the clubhouse at the lake doesn't work anymore.  Sometime in the last year they changed the locks.  Seriously doubt it had anything to do with me, but I don't need a key since I don't do 4-H there anymore.   So, I sent an email to some board members and posted on the private Facebook group asking if anyone could open the bathrooms for the picnic today.  No answer at all.  From anyone.  90-something people saw the post and not one answer.  I mean, the majority of those people wouldn't have a key, but I know some of them did.   Maybe now that we moved it to Friday I'll get an answer.  

The whole key thing kind of annoys me/disturbs me, because I never feel like we're truly accepted at the lake.  It's extremely cliquey, and despite always talking about wanting/needing new members (for their $$ mainly), they are pretty unfriendly and sometimes downright rude to new people.   We've been members about 4 years, and we almost didn't join this year but decided to because it's close, we can have our kayaks/canoe there, it's inexpensive, and we figured it didn't matter if we weren't part of the "in" group because we can just invite our own friends when we go.  But when things come up like this key thing, it kind of makes it really obvious and bugs me.  

I may see if I can talk dh into going by there tonight (bar is open) to see if I can talk to someone about it.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Morning. Storms last night but I slept through most of it. Just woke up to some hard rain, then went back to sleep. I'm still tired, even after getting (for me) a good sleep. Sigh.

The bees are still quite happy with their new situation. Most of the blooming plants have finished for them, but buttonbush takes off in another couple of weeks, and they don't seem to be hurting from what I can see. They had some sugar water but didn't use it at all. 

• Like 5

I hope my colored graphite comes in today. I have to call the doctor again today and I hate calling that place now. 

ETA: That's halfway done. I got the runaround again, but maybe I will actually get an appointment SCHEDULED today???? I'm sorry, but even with a holiday weekend, it seems ridiculous that it takes a almost a full week just to schedule an appointment.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Sad 3

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!!

School today. That's all. It's supposed to warm up today, too!! We've had an exceedingly mild May. I am absolutely not complaining. The weather has been gorgeous, but they are predicting it to hit 100 degrees next week. Ugh! I don't need that.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Slache said:

Tell her that you've consulted with your tax advisor(s) and that is not possible.

Signed,

The Scribe for the Elephant Ninja Squad of Tax Professionals

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

So, the tornado that hit Dayton didn't touch my family. It wasn't in my grandmother's neighborhood, but hit the street behind one of my aunt's house. Everyone else checked in ok, a little damage here and there (family), but war zone-looking in other places.

• Like 10

Well, I squeaked and squeaked, and apparently, either the squeaking worked or the Ninja Elephant squad showed up. I called at nine as directed, and thirty minutes later I had an appointment for Friday morning with the oncologist.  😁

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Slache said:

I agree with the others. Don’t take less money. You aren’t a charity. You have a family to support, too.  This is a business arrangement.

• Like 4

Mr M’s daughter sounds like she tends to leap before she looks. Hopefully talking to her brother will help them figure things out. 

From the perspective of helping out my elderly parents and ILs- a lot of this is so expensive and complicated and made worse by having to juggle job, family as well as the needs of the elderly. I am so grateful that my own parents made arrangements when they were healthy for their later years. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I agree with the others. Don’t take less money. You aren’t a charity. You have a family to support, too.  This is a business arrangement.

I just texted Angi. "I will not take less per hour. Any minute that I am working is a minute that Matt cannot be working and he has potential to make more money than I do."

• Like 7

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Mr M’s daughter sounds like she tends to leap before she looks. Hopefully talking to her brother will help them figure things out. 

From the perspective of helping out my elderly parents and ILs- a lot of this is so expensive and complicated and made worse by having to juggle job, family as well as the needs of the elderly. I am so grateful that my own parents made arrangements when they were healthy for their later years. 

Yes. This whole thing has been a complete roller coaster.

This is definitely something that has been on my mind lately because of the hive. No one in Matt's family is willing to talk about his parents, but Matt and I are talking about ourselves.

• Like 5

We're going through figuring out the whole Medicare thing with my in-laws and it is such a hassle.  I'm wondering how most people handle it, the paperwork is extremely confusing, the details they ask for are crazy, nobody seems to give good guidance, and you get contradictory information.   Dh is extremely bright, his parents (mostly mil) had all their papers extremely well organized, and he's still going nuts.

We're going to the funeral for the neighbor who fell off his roof tonight.  😔

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

4 hours ago, Renai said:

So, the tornado that hit Dayton didn't touch my family. It wasn't in my grandmother's neighborhood, but hit the street behind one of my aunt's house. Everyone else checked in ok, a little damage here and there (family), but war zone-looking in other places.

It just missed my SiL's apartment complex. She was At work at the time but her neighborhood is a mess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

2 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I don't think we've had a single tornado warning all year.  Maybe we had one in February.  Stay safe, people!

The only thing we have resembling tornadoes is thunder clouds that are pretending to turn into a funnel cloud. Someone snaps a picture and everyone gets all excited.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Kids and I watched "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as the finale to our reading the book in literature. Well, the little girls read it.  I'm still working through "Cheaper by the Dozen" with the older kids. That book is a hoot.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Juliet did not eat the package delivery guy when he came.  (3 days since last dog incident.  😉  ) 

Oooh.  It's a scary rabid dog booyah!  Nobody'd better give me grief for adding an H or I'll sic Juliet on ya! 

I can take her.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4