Menu

Ignore this thread!

2 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

I watered them a lot yesterday. Should I plan to water them again this afternoon? I don't want to drown the poor things, but if they need more water I want to give it to them.

I would say that the soil should remain nicely damp for a while, not soppy and muddy, but damp. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Squishy just came up and handed me three leaves from a tomato plant. *sigh* 

#felpful

We are getting zero yard work and minimal housework and schoolwork done. DS has had a cold since Wednesday, DH and I since Sunday. Germs are not for sharing.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, whitehawk said:

*sprays Junie*

This is so :laugh: out of context.

Everyone spray Junie! Does anyone know where the other hose is? I've got 4 water bottles. Lynn, do you have the balloons ready? Junie? Where are you going? JUNIE!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Susan, I was thinking about you this morning and hope you’re doing okay.  Have you done an internet search for “when to go in” in this situation?

Thanks - think I'm OK and feeling a bit of the drama.  It is decreasing as the day goes on, so morning is just a little rough. If it continues more than another day or two I'll give someone a call.

3 hours ago, Slache said:

I only meant that the kids are awake. It was not a response to Susan dying of death, if that's what you thought.

:biggrin:

• Like 1

Dd10's ENT appointment went as I thought it would.  She's having trouble hearing because she has fluid in her middle ears leftover from the ear infection.  The dr. said to have her keep taking the flonase and come back in a month.  If it's not better by then, they'll think about using a scope to look at her adenoids and maybe put in tubes.

I dozed off in the middle of typing this.  Imma take a nap.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Drum roll, please!  It took us three years but we are done with algebra!  (Technically we did two different algebra courses). 

🏆🏆🏆🏆🍫🍫🍫🍫🎉🎉🎉🎉🥁🥁🥁🥁🎺🎺🎺🎺📈📈📈📈🧮🧮🧮🧮🏆🏆🏆🏆🎉🎉🎉🎉. Woo-hoo!  Congratulations for amazing discipline, consistency, and tenacity!!!!  ❤️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

I have what my imagination is calling "Jean's Voice" telling me she doesn't care how carpy I feel and don't be stupid I'm not going to bleed out.  Now stop being a wimp and go do some steps!

5 hours ago, Susan in TN said:

Good morning!

My least favorite aunt is trying to kill me but I will prevail.  Taking dd10 to the ENT in 10 minutes.  

Coffee!

Middle age is not for the faint of heart.

5 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

Susan, I was thinking about you this morning and hope you’re doing okay.  Have you done an internet search for “when to go in” in this situation?

Susan: I had to do the math on this, as Lynn alludes to.  I didn't fall into the "go to the emergency room" category. After I rounded down a bit aggressively. I had, I believe, three such episodes, which occurred at not regular intervals.🤨  But I haven't had any episode now since January (?). Summary: It's normal, but be aware of amount lost. PM or text me if you want to know the nitty gritty details of the math.

4 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Good Morning!!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Tuesday.

Hot!!☀️☀️☀️🔥🔥🔥🔥 This warm weather is melting all the snow in the mountains and the rivers are in flood stage. It would be nice if we could build more dams to store this water for drought years, but the idiots in Sacramento don’t think that’s a good idea. They would rather flood us out and then make everyone suffer when there’s not enough water. Fortunately, in our town, the river banks are high enough to contain the water, but down stream a bit there are issues.

School today.

Cut-and-color this afternoon.

You know there's an answer to this... 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Slache said:

This is so :laugh: out of context.

Everyone spray Junie! Does anyone know where the other hose is? I've got 4 water bottles. Lynn, do you have the balloons ready? Junie? Where are you going? JUNIE!?

As long as it's only water...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I am signed up for my first 5k!  Woo hoo!  (I'm also a wee bit nervous even though I have walked many 5ks with Juliet so far this year.)

Yay!  I hope to walk a 5k... someday.  I know this is a big deal for you!  Congratulations on feeling better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cut and color is done.

Baby made cookies this afternoon. I think I mentioned this before, we got this little refridgerator magnet calendar thingie from a realtor who knows my in-laws and on the back of each month is a cookie recipe.  So, guess what we get to do each  month? You guessed it.... try a new cookie recipe. May's recipe (we always use the month we tear off) is for Funfetti Cookies, which is cookies made from Funfetti cake mix.  They were pretty easy to make and Baby is experienced enough now that I don't have to hover. I just help her with the oven.  They turned out ok. Really sweet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Dh is going to take dd12 to the pet store and I am thinking about asking him to pick me up some ice cream while he's out.

I read an article today about the importance of breathing through your nose, especially for sinus issues.  All my kids are now annoyed at me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Yay for a bookshelf! Boo for a headache! Is it better, Junie? Also boo for wicked aunts, and yay for 5ks and cookie recipes.

It's very difficult to write 10,000 words when you have to use Google Docs and the internet connection doesn't want to stay connected. Grr.

In brighter news, my plants all looked happy last time I was out there. And we did at least 3/8 of school today (all of SuperDude's kindergarten, some of the other kids' school), but Reader and Runner spent an hour reading about gardening and different plants, so I'm still pretty happy with our day.

Make it available offline through the settings.

5 minutes ago, ThatBookwormMom said:

Yay for a bookshelf! Boo for a headache! Is it better, Junie? Also boo for wicked aunts, and yay for 5ks and cookie recipes.

It's very difficult to write 10,000 words when you have to use Google Docs and the internet connection doesn't want to stay connected. Grr.

In brighter news, my plants all looked happy last time I was out there. And we did at least 3/8 of school today (all of SuperDude's kindergarten, some of the other kids' school), but Reader and Runner spent an hour reading about gardening and different plants, so I'm still pretty happy with our day.

It's better than it was, but it's not gone yet.  The littles are going to bed, so hopefully that will help.

My headaches have been worse since ds18 has come home from college, although I have no idea why. 😞  He isn't loud or obnoxious or stressful.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Junie said:

It's better than it was, but it's not gone yet.  The littles are going to bed, so hopefully that will help.

My headaches have been worse since ds18 has come home from college, although I have no idea why. 😞  He isn't loud or obnoxious or stressful.

Does he leave his Bluetooth on his phone? Bluetooth always gives me a headache. I can tell within about 10 minutes that someone's Bluetooth is on.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Slache said:

Does he leave his Bluetooth on his phone? Bluetooth always gives me a headache. I can tell within about 10 minutes that someone's Bluetooth is on.

I'm not sure, but it's worth checking into.

• Like 2

For some reason the 3rd of my 3 bookcases from Walmart still hasn't even shipped.  I picked up the other two a week ago.  I may try to stop in a store and see if it's in stock, then cancel that order.  it's getting ridiculous now.

Just two more weeks of class left then summer camp time.   Looks like I'm not running my first week of camp because I made the registration deadline two weeks out so it's already passed.  I'm good with that.

I talked to someone today about doing yoga classes at the science center.  I have two extra rooms so the yoga can happen at the same time as my classes.  We're going to do age groupings that work for kids to come and do a science class followed by yoga or yoga followed by science.  

• Like 5

We had 4-H tonight.  Examined our Winogradsky columns and looked at some samples under the microscopes.  Saw amoeba and some worm-like things wiggling around.   It was cool but some of the kids were more interested in running around outside.  

ETA:  It's a winogradsky booya

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Where's Toto? said:

For some reason the 3rd of my 3 bookcases from Walmart still hasn't even shipped. 

Walmart was where are our original book case was from. It was that Mainstays 5 shelf basic bookcase. The anchor fell off the wall and it tried to kill us. I was beyond bumed! My books have been in a pile for like a month.

• Like 2

My dishwasher isn't working.  I'm now doing the dishes by hand and will then take the stupid thing apart.  Dh hates it when I go all "pioneer woman" on him and try to fix things myself (as in a woman from the pioneer times, not Ree) but I really don't want to pay for a repair guy to come out if I don't have to. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My dishwasher isn't working.  I'm now doing the dishes by hand and will then take the stupid thing apart.  Dh hates it when I go all "pioneer woman" on him and try to fix things myself (as in a woman from the pioneer times, not Ree) but I really don't want to pay for a repair guy to come out if I don't have to. 

You are my hero. I wouldn't attempt to take anything apart.  Fortunately, DH is the handy one. He fixes everything.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Slache said:

Husband did the bookshelf so I could work on other things. I knew better. I really did. He built it completely backwards. Ok. I'll fix it tomorrow.

Girl, I put all my own stuff together, lol!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Renai said:

Girl, I put all my own stuff together, lol!

I normally do (but I've never taken a dishwasher apart). I just have so much to do and it was... a bookshelf. Like wood with instructions. And lables. And instructions. Instructions with pictures and everything clearly labeled. It was like that.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Slache said:

I normally do (but I've never taken a dishwasher apart). I just have so much to do and it was... a bookshelf. Like wood with instructions. And lables. And instructions. Instructions with pictures and everything clearly labeled. It was like that.

I know. I thought I could pass on that type of job to my dh, and he let me know that although he does construction he's no carpenter. He can tear 'em down and build them back up again, but thinks bookcases and such are tedious and will mess up. I've not let him try since he told me that...😂

• Like 3

I found another good book I thought I’d recommend.   “Between Life and Death: A gospel centered guide to end of life medical care” by Kathryn Butler, MD. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1433561018/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m not in this situation yet, and I actually picked it up because Tim Challies recommended it on his website. It’s not a happy, cheerful book, but it is beautifully written and very thought provoking. 

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Slache said:

That's exactly why "they" (not naming any names, ahem,) can't do it.  Instructions.  

5 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I found another good book I thought I’d recommend.   “Between Life and Death: A gospel centered guide to end of life medical care” by Kathryn Butler, MD. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1433561018/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’m not in this situation yet, and I actually picked it up because Tim Challies recommended it on his website. It’s not a happy, cheerful book, but it is beautifully written and very thought provoking. 

Making a note for future reference....  Did I tell you I read The Woman Who Smashed Codes at the beach?  and loved it!  I also read the two introvert books - Introverted Mom and Introverts in the Church.  Both were good and mostly helpful.  One thing that I think is difficult (and especially difficult to get from a book alone) is to discern when to accept yourself (hey, this is who I am) and when to stretch yourself (hey, I should do this even though it totally goes against the grain.)  

• Like 3

Good Morning!

Happy Wednesday!

I haven't been sleeping well (like not getting to sleep until after 3 kind of not sleeping well).  Last night I decided to ditch my low-carb snack and eat the bowl of pasta that I used to eat every night.  I slept wonderfully.

Sigh.  So much for weight loss...

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Slache said:

Walmart was where are our original book case was from. It was that Mainstays 5 shelf basic bookcase. The anchor fell off the wall and it tried to kill us. I was beyond bumed! My books have been in a pile for like a month.

Mine are just the 3 shelf ones and are along one wall of my classroom with two sets of cubes from Target.   Not too much risk of falling.  I have sets of cubes in my lobby and break room and those are bolted to the wall.  We usually don't use the anchors that come with them, we use something else (that dh would know). 

I've probably put together dozens of bookcases, cubes, etc over the years but dh prefers to do them now.  He doesn't just put them together, he glues every single hole and joint.  Which does make them sturdier but wouldn't work when I was moving every 6 months and had to move all of it by myself.  Taking it apart made it much easier to move.  I have some Billy's that were taken apart/put back together 6 or 7 times.  

I put together the new ones because he wasn't around with all the stuff with his parents.  What sucked is I use a hand screwdriver, he uses a drill.   I need to get a new battery pack for my little, not so powerful or heavy, electric drill that works as a screwdriver.  It's what I always used before we got married and it was great.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

Krissi, this sounds interesting and possibly up my alley. Question, though: How anti-life-extending treatment is she? When my grandmother had ALS, we fought like rabid lionesses (meaning: Nana and I agreed on a goal, and I was sent into battle as the Rabid Lioness) to have her non-ALS issues treated, when most of the medical profession seemed to have the attitude, "What's the point? She's dying anyway. And Money." We happen to have the inconvenient belief that life matters and suffering has value. And, in case you can't tell, I'm still more than a bit raw over the above. Do you think I could read the book? And, you know, not hurl it against a wall?

3 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

That's exactly why "they" (not naming any names, ahem,) can't do it.  Instructions.  

Making a note for future reference....  Did I tell you I read The Woman Who Smashed Codes at the beach?  and loved it!  I also read the two introvert books - Introverted Mom and Introverts in the Church.  Both were good and mostly helpful.  One thing that I think is difficult (and especially difficult to get from a book alone) is to discern when to accept yourself (hey, this is who I am) and when to stretch yourself (hey, I should do this even though it totally goes against the grain.)  

Defective. Y. Chromosome.

Someone had to say it.

• Like 4

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!!!~D

Humph Day!!!

School. 

DS graduates/promotes tomorrow from our Charter School, so I need to get things ready for that.

It’s supposed to top out at over 100 degrees today. JJM, I’m camping out in your front yard for the rest of the summer.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Another Lynn said:

I am so glad you loved that book. I loved it, too.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, JoJosMom said:

Krissi, this sounds interesting and possibly up my alley. Question, though: How anti-life-extending treatment is she? When my grandmother had ALS, we fought like rabid lionesses (meaning: Nana and I agreed on a goal, and I was sent into battle as the Rabid Lioness) to have her non-ALS issues treated, when most of the medical profession seemed to have the attitude, "What's the point? She's dying anyway. And Money." We happen to have the inconvenient belief that life matters and suffering has value. And, in case you can't tell, I'm still more than a bit raw over the above. Do you think I could read the book? And, you know, not hurl it against a wall?

I don’t think you would throw it against a wall. Her words are so tender and wise and godly....

”Over the course of a decade, I had the privilege of partnering with people during their most vulnerable moments, and I  loathed the disconnect between the technical details that I laid out and the pain tearing them apart. As I would lean forward in my white coat to inquire about resuscitation and feeding tubes, the weight of unvoiced questions bore down upon us - questions about God’s authority, of His goodness, of sanctity of life, and of suffering. These questions sprang from concerns fundamental to our Christian Faith, but they hid beneath the trappings and decorum of our secular medical setting.  To honor God in the bleak setting of the ICU, we must clarify the expanse between life and death that our medical advances have blurred....... Compassionate, Gospel-centered guidance in end-of-life care requires a consideration of medical technology through the lens of heaven.”

To answer your specific question, yes, she beautifully discusses the question, “Will life support in this scenario constitute preservation of life or prolongation of death and undue suffering?” She doesn’t seem dogmatic about things, and comes up on the side of what the patient desires and promoting advance directives and upholding the dignity of death and dying.

It is such a beautiful, well-written book. I was on the verge of tears last night as I was reading it, just because of the compassion evident in her writing and you can tell she “gets it.”

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 4