Menu

Well, the numbers are in--some are great, and some are not great

After 7 months of very hard work, totally changing my whole lifestyle, eating habits, etc., I finally had my follow-up doctors visit with labs. Here's what I found out.

Feb. Now

Hemoglobin (blood sugar) 9.1 6.0

they prefer >6.5

Glucose 310 152

Fats:

HDL 60 40

they prefer >40

Triglycerides 159 98

they prefer >149

Overall cholesterol 242 233

This is the one that has me really upset:

LDL (bad fat) 162 173

This must be >99

So, after 7 months of eating NO FAT, to the point that I am dangerously low in fat (I didn't know you could do that!) my cholesterol went down a tiny bit, but my LDL went up, even though my sugar came way down, and I'd lost 65 pounds. My doc said this means it is hereditary, my diabetes just sped it up, and I have to go on cholesterol meds, which I am really upset about.

This may seem like nothing to some, but everyone but my dad has died of heart disease on both sides of my fam for generations, and I watched my grandmother and great-grandmother on my mom's side suffer through alzheimer's, which my mom is getting, due to hardening of the arteries. I'm just terribly upset.

Add to that, I had lost 69.5 pounds, after really hard work, then just went on steroids for a lung infection, and have gained 8 POUNDS!!!! Not eating extra, even though I'm starving from the steroids!!! Just because they made my sugar higher!!

So, I'm very upset. And looking for support. Anyone?

After 7 months of very hard work, totally changing my whole lifestyle, eating habits, etc., I finally had my follow-up doctors visit with labs. Here's what I found out.

Feb. Now

they prefer >6.5

Glucose 310 152

Fats:

HDL 60 40

they prefer >40

Triglycerides 159 98

they prefer >149

LDL (bad fat) 162 173

This must be >99

So, after 7 months of eating NO FAT, to the point that I am dangerously low in fat (I didn't know you could do that!) my cholesterol went down a tiny bit, but my LDL went up, even though my sugar came way down, and I'd lost 65 pounds. My doc said this means it is hereditary, my diabetes just sped it up, and I have to go on cholesterol meds, which I am really upset about.

This may seem like nothing to some, but everyone but my dad has died of heart disease on both sides of my fam for generations, and I watched my grandmother and great-grandmother on my mom's side suffer through alzheimer's, which my mom is getting, due to hardening of the arteries. I'm just terribly upset.

Add to that, I had lost 69.5 pounds, after really hard work, then just went on steroids for a lung infection, and have gained 8 POUNDS!!!! Not eating extra, even though I'm starving from the steroids!!! Just because they made my sugar higher!!

You lost 70 pounds! That's incredible! And if I'm reading your numbers right, things did change for the better except for the ones that you have heredity working against you. Think of how bad they would look if you hadn't done all the hard work you've done. And I'm guessing the steroid weight will drop off when you're off the steroids for a bit.

:grouphug: & YOU GO, GIRL!

Feb. Now

they prefer >6.5

Glucose 310 152

Fats:

HDL 60 40

they prefer >40

Triglycerides 159 98

they prefer >149

LDL (bad fat) 162 173

This must be >99

You are not eating enough food and/or fat, and your body is overcompensating. The body holds on to weight because it's pretty sure there's a famine that will kill us all, so every pound it can hold or pack on is a bonus. Your metabolism has made sure you don't die during this famine, that you live for another season when there's probably food.

As to the fats, well, I'm convinced by my own stellar cholesterol (with a history of borderlines back when I was a low-fat eater) and my family history of astronomical numbers, that a diet rich (to the point that you are satisfied) in good fats and a decent portion of saturated fat from moderate amounts of whole dairy foods and butter (about 1 tsp per day on average) is a wonderful way to eat.

Couple that with everything else you are doing so wonderfully well, and I think you'd solve your dilemma.

You lost 70 pounds! That's incredible! And if I'm reading your numbers right, things did change for the better except for the ones that you have heredity working against you. Think of how bad they would look if you hadn't done all the hard work you've done. And I'm guessing the steroid weight will drop off when you're off the steroids for a bit.

:grouphug: & YOU GO, GIRL!

:iagree: What she said.

Gosh, after everything you have done to improve your health, it is a real bummer to have those test results. I would feel discouraged, too. On the bright side, you did lose a lot of weight -- that's pretty darned amazing and difficult to do. You deserve big congratulations for that!

I think you should read Dean Ornish's book. Another one that is medically sound is Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, by Caldwell B. Esselstyn, Jr., M.D.

The diets recommended by both (they are very, very similar) have been proven to help lower cholesterol. Basically, if you are going on a severe regimen, you have to eat only whole grains, no fat, no dairy, no meat, no eggs, lots of veggies, and some fruits.

My cholesterol level was 230 when I had emergency double bypass surgery a few years ago, when I was in my 40s. Two months after that, another 2 cardiac arteries were 90% clogged, and I had to have stents put into them. I had none of the risk factors for heart disease. Zero.

I have been taking Lipitor for years. A few months ago, I went on a Lipitor holiday (but did not keep up the diet plans referenced in the books above) and my cholesterol went up to 335. I was horrified, but it proved to me that the darned drug is earning its keep.

Anyway, the upshot is that whatever is keeping my cholesterol levels high (unless I use drugs) and is causing my cardiac arteries to be clogged (>90%)is a mystery to me.

I hope you don't have to be on steroids for very long. I'm sure the weight you gained will drop off once you aren't taking them any more. That's something to be cheerful about, right?

If you have to go on a statin to lower your cholesterol, just suck it up and do it. It's better than dropping dead suddenly from a massive heart attack.

I really did set out to be uplifting -- apparently my uplifter isn't working today. I do hope that you are encouraged by the fact that there is something you can do -- even if at the moment, it is taking a life-saving statin.

I will hold good wishes for you in my heart, and I will pray for you.

RC

:iagree: You are AMAZING!!!! HELLO!? Look at that weight loss?!!!

Okay - I'm not convinced that a low fat diet is a way to lower cholesterol or make yourself healthier. Take eggs, for example. Yes, they're high in cholesterol. BUT, they have lecithin which helps decrease cholesterol. My entire family eats 2 eggs every day (sometimes more!). Our cholesterol is fine!

Olive oil is extremely healthy!

My dad had high cholesterol and asked for 3 months to decrease it. He tried a low carb diet (but he used all organic veggies and meats) and decreased it to within lower limits within that time period. He has heredity working against him too.

Good luck as you find your balance! But, please keep in mind that you just took off a lot of weight and that is going to improve your health!!! :grouphug:

BTW, I do know my weight loss is fantastic, and I'm so proud and happy--I didn't mean to diminish that or my blood sugar. I already knew they were great. I guess I didn't explain it right.

Cholesterol is a huge thing to me, because of my fam. My twin brother had two silent heart attacks, 15 years ago, and had natural bypasses (where your body just causes a bypass with an artery), or he would have died. He had a massive heart attack a few years ago, which they said would kill him. I lobbied doctors, until I found one that would operate--most said there was no point. They tried a triple bypass, succeeded with a double--he has such a heart condition, though, that every moment could be his last. He has had diabetes for 15 years, and that is why finding out I had it so changed my life--he never controlled his, and it destroyed his health, including causing his heart probs and high cholesterol so young.

The one thing I've always been careful of was my cholesterol--I was raised vegetarian, have never used oil or butter, and am so disappointed and scared to see it going up. I also take a ton of meds, due to diabetes, asthma that has become a lung disease, and allergies, and I know the cholesterol meds are very hard on the liver, and it is just something else to worry about. That, and the fact that I am a single mom, my xh was so verbally and emotionally abusive to my dd that he is not allowed to speak to her on the phone, but, if anything happened to me, he would get custody (there is no way I can change that), terrifies me.

I guess that is my real prob here.

You are not eating enough food and/or fat, and your body is overcompensating. The body holds on to weight because it's pretty sure there's a famine that will kill us all, so every pound it can hold or pack on is a bonus. Your metabolism has made sure you don't die during this famine, that you live for another season when there's probably food.

As to the fats, well, I'm convinced by my own stellar cholesterol (with a history of borderlines back when I was a low-fat eater) and my family history of astronomical numbers, that a diet rich (to the point that you are satisfied) in good fats and a decent portion of saturated fat from moderate amounts of whole dairy foods and butter (about 1 tsp per day on average) is a wonderful way to eat.

Couple that with everything else you are doing so wonderfully well, and I think you'd solve your dilemma.

:iagree: You need fats, lots of good, healthy fats, including animal fats - butter, whole milk, whole milk yogurt and cheese. Nuts, avocados, olive oil, coconut oil.

Read Nina Planck's Real Food, or Michael Pollan's In Defense of Food.

That, and the fact that I am a single mom, my xh was so verbally and emotionally abusive to my dd that he is not allowed to speak to her on the phone, but, if anything happened to me, he would get custody (there is no way I can change that), terrifies me.

I guess that is my real prob here.

:grouphug::grouphug:

Oh man. I'm so sorry!

Take heart though - you ARE doing something about this! You are under a doctor's care and you are trying to control this. Good for you!!! I'll keep this in my prayers!!

:iagree: My MIL experience this too..... and about killed my FIL in the process of her low/non fat diet to cut the cholesteral. All those carbs shot his blood sugar to the extremes.

:grouphug: Hope you can sort it out.

I am currently reading 8 Minutes in the Morning by Jorge Cruise, mostly for the exercises - and I love, love, love it!! Anyway, there's a section called Eat Fat to Get Fit. Lots of excellent information in there. He explains why eating healthy fat is so very important and actually can help you to lose weight and why he feels a non-fat diet isn't a good thing. He is very easy to understand and it just all makes sense. I highly recommend the book.

I had a friend who completely cut out fat from his diet - 100%. His cholesterol got worse! His doctor explained to him he needed healthy fat in his diet.

Well done!

:party:

But I had the same experience as far as cholestol. After 6 months of a low-fat diet, I had lost 20lb or so--not nearly enough!--but my cholesterol went up 100 points. ACK! So I went back to Atkins. Didn't lose weight, but in two months my cholesterol came down 100 points. My good cholesterol is something like 35. Ok, maybe not that low, but low enough that my doc was uber impressed.

The thing is that there is no *proof* that high cholesterol causes heart disease. There is no proof that eating food low in cholesterol lowers our cholesterol. Someone on this forum, I'm pretty sure, has been a vegetarian for many years, and her cholesterol is something outrageous, like over 400.

I'm just sayin'...

First of all, losing that much weight is no small feat!! What an accomplishment!

Second, I've recommended this lady's book before - she talks about the relationship between cholesterol, sugar and fat and believes that it is sugar/carbs and not fat that cause cholesterol. It may be worth taking a look. My mother-in-law has had some success with her program.

I'm sorry that your test results weren't what you were expecting. I hope you find some way to get them in the range you need to without having to rely on meds. :grouphug:

I respect those who have posted their own experiences, but you need to find out what YOUR body does with fat, not what someone else's does.

Lots have mentioned that they have read that cholesterol does not cause heart attacks or that it is not reduced by a low fat diet.

I don't know whether it has been proven that Cholesterol causes heart attacks, but high blood cholesterol was clearly and strongly shown to correlate with high rates of heart attacks in the Framingham study--one of the most comprehensive epidemiological studies around. And this is a lot more data on this. The best compilations of it that I have seen in the popular (non-medical) press are in Dean Ornish's book "Reversing Heart Disease." One of the things that I really like about his book is that he considers evidence that supports and does not support his thesis, and he resolves it all.

An often-cited study countering the move to low fat diets is the Nurse's Study, a very large population study over quite a while. However, the low fat diets followed in that study are not really all that low. IIRC, they were around 30% calories from fat and the control was higher, at 35 or 40 I think.

A true low fat diet is more like 15-20% calories from fat. I have followed this in the past, and my cholesterol dropped through the floor (137, I believe). My triglycerides were on the high side, but my MD said that since my cholesterol was 'basically nonexistant' I should not worry about the triglycerides at all. I don't follow that diet anymore, and I confess that I have gained a lot of weight and my cholesterol is much higher. Triglycerides have not dropped either.

It sounds like your cholesterol is resistent to diet changes, and still too high. I really doubt that adding olive oil would help with the total, but it might improve your ratio. How is your exercise schedule? Exercise helps with ratio, and also with triglycerides, and significantly with diabetes (reduces insulin resistance in early stage Type II).

In any case, losing all that weight is quite an accomplishment, and I'm guessing that that would not have happened without the low fat regimen. You have to weigh your priorities now. I would say that your diabetes and heart disease progress will be significantly slowed because of your diet and weight loss, and that adding in a statin drug would probably be advisable now. Statins are proving to be helpful in cholesterol control but also in preventing progress of macular degeneration and in reducing the inflammation that is an emerging risk factor for heart attacks. I know it's discouraging to have to depend on a drug, but you've made some great lifestyle changes and because of that will probably need less medication than otherwise.

I know it's hard, but please, keep it up for yourself and those babies!

Thank you all for your support and information. I am trying to add healthy fat to my diet, I just find all of the conflicting information hard to deal with; one book says one thing, the next another. Trying to sort through it all now.

I am shocked to hear that low fat can make your cholesterol higher! My dr. said it was genetics and my diabetes, mostly genetics--I do plan to work at getting it lower, though, and hopefully, one day, be off meds. But, if I have to take them, I am resigned to that fact.

Thank you all for your recommendations; I am slowly working my way through all of the info. As always, you all have come through in such a big way :).

You are doing great....and I haven't read the other comments but wanted to add...some steroids cause massive water retention....that may be what your weight gain is from...

Ooh, I've been majorly bloated, and have been peeing all day (I know, major TMI, sorry), so maybe that will be the case--I hope so, I hate to gain weight for nothing!

Thanks nakitty! :D

Congratulations on all that's going well!

And, as I'm reading the Schwarzbein Principle, I'm understanding more how high carbs beget high insulin levels, which beget clogged arteries. And how fats help settle all of this down long term in most people (in the short term low fat will work).

It is disturbing about all of the conflicting information. It's as bad as all of the conflicting information about how best to teach your child -- experts say send them to school and let the professionals deal with it, people here say you can do it yourself, ayeee! it can get overwhelming!

In its natural, unstressed state your liver makes 75% of the cholesterol you need. The rest you have to eat — in foods that contain cholesterol like butter, meat, whole-fat dairy products, shellfish and eggs.

If you deprive yourself of cholesterol (and make up those calories in carbs and sugar), your metabolism goes into famine mode and your liver overproduces cholesterol to make up the difference and stock up. This overdrive state can’t shut off until you start eating cholesterol again. So, a low-cholesterol, high-carbohydrate diet can actually lead to high cholesterol!

I think this page has some sound information.

http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/fatandcholesterol.aspx

Fats:

HDL 60 40

they prefer >40

LDL (bad fat) 162 173

This must be >99

This is a really bitter pill to swallow, isn't it?

But, please understand, it really is hereditary.

I have a good friend who is a saint when it comes to eating and exercising - and had been her entire life. A Saint! Still her cholesterol was high. I was flabbergasted. She took her cholesterol-lowering medicine and her HDL/LDL numbers switched places. It was dramatic. Her doctor thought maybe she really didn't need the drugs (and she didn't really want to take them) so she went off. Her numbers flipped again.

It wasn't her diet. It wasn't her exercise. It was her genes.

So she takes her cholesterol-lowering medicine every day now (a low dose because she does take care with her diet and exercise). And all is well.

I'm in the same boat. My doctor looked at the contrast between my other stats and my bad cholesterol and just said not to feel bad - it was hereditary and I needed meds.

I take statins but still look after myself. My father had dangerously high cholesterol (heart bypass in his sixties) despite a healthy lifestyle, so taking the drugs is worth it for me.

Best wishes

Laura

The good news is, what your mom and them have is not Alzheimer's. But it exhibits the same symptoms. And if it truly is VASCULAR dementia, then NOW is the time for you to get hdl, ldl, and all that stuff under control for you, to help prevent it!!

http://www.memorylossonline.com/pastissues/summer2000/vasculardementia.html

Congrats on the weight loss. That is NOT an easy feat!

I am shocked to hear that low fat can make your cholesterol higher! My dr. said it was genetics and my diabetes, mostly genetics--I do plan to work at getting it lower, though, and hopefully, one day, be off meds. But, if I have to take them, I am resigned to that fact.

My doctor was shocked, too.

I had labs done in June of last year; the nurse called me when the results were in, all in a swivit, because my cholesterol was over 300. I did *NOT* take the meds prescribed because I had heard terrible things about side affects. Back I went to Atkins. That doctor quit accepting my insurance, so a couple of months later I saw a different doctor, who also did labs because I was a new patient. The nurse there called me all panicky because my cholesterol was over 200. I almost LOL in her ear. When I told the doctor that I was down 100 points in two months just doing Atkins, his mouth literally fell open.

Dr. Atkins was a cardiologist. Of all people, he would have been the one to be concerned and knowledgeable about cholesterol and heart disease, KWIM?

I'm not telling you to do Atkins. I'm just suggesting that conventional wisdom does not always look at things that actually *work*. You could get a copy of his most recent book and read it.

Congrats on your weight loss! And all the positive lab results.

I would like to make a book suggestion- the South Beach Diet guy has a book out specifically for people with heart and/or cholesterol problems. I found it on Amazon. He is a cardiologist by trade, so SBD is written for heart patients. In this book he goes into more detail about dealing with cholesterol, etc.

Anyway, the idea is that eating healthy fats will increase your good cholesterol and decrease your bad cholesterol.

Good luck! Don't be discouraged, you're doing great.

This is what makes me nuts about the whole cholesterol and/or diabetes diet debate. One person recommends one thing (and that person could be a licensed physician) while another person advises the complete opposite. How can anyone sort out what's right for her when there is so much conflicting evidence/opinion?!

Here's what I'm wondering: Have you ever considered, or even if considered been able to afford, a visit to a naturopath? I'm not recommending that you take your health off to some left wing crackpot. What I'm thinking, though, is how much stress impacts overall health. And, honey, from what I can glean in your various posts here, you are swimming in stressful situations! Add to that the fact that you've spent half a lifetime on a no-fat diet which you are now learning may not have been as healthy as you had hoped, and you've got the makings of some pretty confused body systems. I feel like you need someone who can look at the whole you, not just your lipid or sugar numbers.

As you know, I lean towards natural cures for what ails us, but I also am quick to note that sometimes modern medicine and pharmaceuticals are just shy of miraculous. If I was in your shoes, I think I'd be working towards a combination right now. Take the steroids while you are fighting the lung infection, but when it's cleared up, research ways that you can enhance your lung function (idea: regular aerobic exercise?) and immune system long term. Work on revamping your diet and maybe even take the drugs to get after that bad cholesterol. You don't have to take them forever. You can do a test, I would think. Take them for three months (or six?), have your numbers checked again, meanwhile adopting some new food and supplement habits that are meant to work towards happy cholesterol. Go off the drugs for six months (or three?), and see what happens with just the diet/supplements and no meds.

I think you are right to take this seriously, and I do understand that heredity and genetics play a leading role in the development of diabetes and heart disease in some people. But, I have long been of the opinion that one formula doesn't suit all, so what one person does to combat their specific imbalances may not be the solution for you. At the top of the list of negatives, in my opinion, are the many stresses that you must wrestle with daily - most of which seem unavoidable. So, you you're left with trying to mange them. You might expend as much effort in the coming weeks seeking ways to train your body to respond differently to stress as you do in seeking dietary changes.

Hang in there. I know it's disappointing to learn that you still aren't where you'd like to be health-wise, despite some huge accomplishments to hold onto. But, you are on the right track!

As an aside, I came across this book today, with you in mind. The sample page seemed appealing, but I'm hesitant to mention a book about which I know virtually nothing. :confused: And, there's also the book called "The Cholesterol Myth" which I have read, in part, and found quite fascinating.

Peace,