Menu

I Broke Yet Another Knife

Jean in Newcastle

And no, I was not hacking at bricks.  I was cutting a hunk of cheddar cheese and the very nice ceramic blade broke right out of the handle.  I take good care of my knives - always handwashing them and putting them in the block.  We do not buy cheap knives either.  What do we need to know about knives?  (This is knife number 4 to break - two ceramic and two steel).  

Were you twisting a bit into the block of cheese?  Ceramic doesn't handle sideways pressure at all.  Get the cheap ceramic ones from Harbor Freight if you want ceramic.  It doesn't hurt so much when one breaks on you when you only paid $9 (we've had the handle break on one and DH dropped one and broke the tip off another).

The other option is full-tang knives, where the metal blade runs clear through the handle.  They don't break but they are pricey.

I'm not particularly careful with knives--throw them in the dishwasher and toss them in the knife drawer--and I've not had that much breakage. 

I'm currently using this Calphalon chef's knife for bigger jobs. I also have kitchen shears that I use when cutting through bone, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-LX-Cutlery-Chefs-Knife/dp/B001DSERWA/ref=sr_1_sc_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1425557337&sr=8-12-spell&keywords=caphalon+knives#customerReviews

My go-to knives for everyday jobs are these Zyliss knives. I have the three piece set, plus several paring knives. I buy them on sale so I won't be bent out of shape if I need to replace them. They've lasted well, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Zyliss-31387-3-Piece-Knife-Set/dp/B00B7RTD2G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1425557585&sr=8-7&keywords=zyliss+knife

I have never broken a knife! I didn't know this was a thing. My knives are a mid-range. The bulk of the cutting happens with a large Henkle or a medium-sized pampered chef knife. They go in the dishwasher every day . . . sometimes twice a day. I've been thinking about getting a ceramic knife, but I don't have much hand washing in me.

Ceramic knives are super sharp, durable, and require very little maintenance, but are not designed to withstand transverse pressure.  You never want to use one in a "pry bar" like-manner.

Basically, buy a great ceramic knife, and then keep a metal cheese knife around for your cheddar needs :-)

Apart from special needs (such as deboning), I use a ceramic santoku for 98% of my food prep needs.  You could not pay me enough money to go back to carbon steel. 

• Like 2

I have never broken a knife! I didn't know this was a thing. My knives are a mid-range. The bulk of the cutting happens with a large Henkle or a medium-sized pampered chef knife. They go in the dishwasher every day . . . sometimes twice a day. I've been thinking about getting a ceramic knife, but I don't have much hand washing in me.

You can put them in the dishwasher.  Just don't crowd them.  

Can't help you - I've never broken a knife in my life! 

We've never had ceramic ones. I don't think I would remember to use them in a certain way. 

I think all of our knives, except the bread knife, are what other posters are calling full tang - I can see the silver knife part in the middle of the wooden handle, all the way up. We've had those for over 20 years, and some are a lot older because they were handed down to us. Some say Carver and some say Chicago Cutlery. 

I have one newer one, a Calphalon, same general style but more of the rubbery looking handle rather than wooden. If you have a Tuesday Morning store near you, that's where I found it, and they often have good knives and kitchen equipment at reduced prices. I got some great heavy duty baking pans there as well. It's a close-out store, so you have to pop in now and then to find what you want. 

I'll have to look at Tuesday Morning.  I stopped putting knives in the dishwasher when I had one set of steel knives rust around where they go into the handle.  Then the metal knife part broke off from the handle.  So I thought I'd solve the problem with handwashing.  I actually love the ceramic knives.  They go through most things like butter.  But you make a very good point about transverse pressure.  I hadn't thought about that.  Though - the actual blade did not break.  The handle broke and the blade and the part that went about an inch down into the handle (the tang?) came out in one piece.  

I'll have to look at Tuesday Morning.  I stopped putting knives in the dishwasher when I had one set of steel knives rust around where they go into the handle.  Then the metal knife part broke off from the handle.  So I thought I'd solve the problem with handwashing.  I actually love the ceramic knives.  They go through most things like butter.  But you make a very good point about transverse pressure.  I hadn't thought about that.  Though - the actual blade did not break.  The handle broke and the blade and the part that went about an inch down into the handle (the tang?) came out in one piece.  

Yeah that would be less likely to happen with full tang.  Meaning it extends the length of the handle. 

• Like 2

We buy Wusthoff, they will replace any knives that break.

My chef son just gave me his Wusthoff chef knife...I LOVE It. I use it every day now.

He 'upgraded' to a Shun chef knife.

Oh my, I never knew such knives existed.

look at how the blades are made.  you want one that has been pounded and folded over and over so the atoms are strengthening and reinforcing each other.  it's how they make samuri blades.  many knives are just cut sheet metal.

we've broken Henkel tips.  we've had good luck with old walnut Chicagos - and I love the wusthof set that dh treated himself.  they get used far more than the chicagos (which he refuses to give up.)

and yes - full tang.  anything less is just asking for trouble.

you can also check amazon - and t.j.maxx.  I found a wusthof set there, and gave it to dd.  (who loves to cook.)

I LOVE my Kershaw kitchen knives. I've had them for about three years now and I'm not gentle with them. 

http://www.amazon.com/Kai-ABS0813-Komachi2-Knife-8-Piece/dp/B007HY0SOA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=19SJTW1FW2FH5HRGJSZS

(I've never used ceramic knives.)

I see that these are colored.  Is the color "on" the knife, or inherent in the material?  I'm wondering about it flaking off in the food, and later about sharpening.

The Cutco cheese knife is awesome.  All their knives are guaranteed for life.  They can even be put in the dishwasher.  They'll sharpen any of their knives for $7, no matter how long you've had it or how you've treated it.  If it can't be sharpened, they'll replace it.  I sent in the handle of a 50 year old knife (was my parents') and they sent me a new knife.  

Anyway, their cheese knife has cutouts through the length of the blade, which keeps it from sticking to the cheese.  If you can only afford one knife, get the Cutco cheese knife.  

Oh, and in case I sound like a commercial, if you don't want to pay for a Cutco knife, you can get a handful of those little Pampered Chef paring knives.  They have thin, razor sharp blades, they're dishwasher safe, and they only cost about $2.  So, if you break one, you can have another one at the ready.  

• Like 1

The Cutco cheese knife is awesome.  All their knives are guaranteed for life.  They can even be put in the dishwasher.  They'll sharpen any of their knives for $7, no matter how long you've had it or how you've treated it.  If it can't be sharpened, they'll replace it.  I sent in the handle of a 50 year old knife (was my parents') and they sent me a new knife.  

Anyway, their cheese knife has cutouts through the length of the blade, which keeps it from sticking to the cheese.  If you can only afford one knife, get the Cutco cheese knife.  

Oh, and in case I sound like a commercial, if you don't want to pay for a Cutco knife, you can get a handful of those little Pampered Chef paring knives.  They have thin, razor sharp blades, they're dishwasher safe, and they only cost about $2.  So, if you break one, you can have another one at the ready.  

I agree, my cutco knives are awesome.  I started with the cheese knife and I loved it so much we bought 3 more knives (a paring knife, a bread knife and the small chef knife).  Even though I have 2 blocks full of Chicago cutlery knives, I only use the 4 cutco knives.  THe cutco rep keep trying to convince me to buy more but those 4 knives meet all of my needs.  I also like using the cheese knife to cut tomatoes or to slice onions if I want super fine slices.  The serrated edge makes it so easy to make small clean cuts on anything.

• Like 1

Am I the only 12 year old giggling at cutting cheese?

Anyway, I agree with finding knives with full tang. But for cheaper knives, we've also had good luck with Victorinox knives on Amazon. I've only bought smaller serrated knives (great for steak, tomatoes, bread) and small pointy one that I am blanking on the name, but this one got good marks from ATK: Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife 40520, 47520, 45520, 5.2063.20 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000638D32/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wmB.ub08T15SF

Eta: paring knife! And the serrated ones are listed as steak knives and utility knives, but I believe they're the same thing.

After my knife bag got stolen with most of my good knives I replaced them with Russells, Mundials, and other durable yet inexpensive high carbon stainless knifes from restaurant supply stores. They are lighter weight than high-quality knives, but still well-balanced. They are designed for professional use and can take a beating. They are not pretty, but oh well.